User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a way to think of it.

Imagine there is one kid in Ms. Henderson's 2nd grade class. He's the only one who hasn't figured out that Santa isn't real. He goes around telling all the other students how great Santa is, and how much Santa is going to give him on Dec 25th. He goes on and on about it.

When you try to explain to him that Santa is just his parents, he doesn't believe you. He brings in newspapers with "Letters to Santa" from other children and pictures of half eaten cookies on Christmas morning as proof that Santa is real.

You've tried and tried to tell him he's wrong. You've tried to refute his proof with logic and science.

After a while you just get tired of trying to help him and just start mocking him.
View Quote

Now imagine you live in country where its the Jesus who brings christmass presents:-D
Belief in Jesus gets whole new dimension..
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That wouldn't provide a data point since I'm not a Christian. In any case I'm talking about the broader world.
View Quote

Oh, well I was only talking about Arfcom Christians.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now imagine you live in country where its the Jesus who brings christmass presents:-D
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine there is one kid in Ms. Henderson's 2nd grade class. He's the only one who hasn't figured out that Santa isn't real. He goes around telling all the other students how great Santa is, and how much Santa is going to give him on Dec 25th. He goes on and on about it.

When you try to explain to him that Santa is just his parents, he doesn't believe you. He brings in newspapers with "Letters to Santa" from other children and pictures of half eaten cookies on Christmas morning as proof that Santa is real.

You've tried and tried to tell him he's wrong. You've tried to refute his proof with logic and science.

After a while you just get tired of trying to help him and just start mocking him.

Well, Jesus doesn't bring me presents but he does bring really nice oranges.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It is the same as the pro-gay marriage argument.

They don't want to be left alone.  They want you to agree with them.

If you don't you are an infidel...errr, I mean deluded/foolish/laughable....I sometimes get confused between various extremist camps....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about just shrug your shoulders and go about your business...?

Who cares?

I felt the need to correct what I thought was flawed thinking too....when I was still a child.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you don't you are an infidel...errr, I mean deluded/foolish/laughable....I sometimes get confused between various extremist camps....
View Quote

True, but, one group wants the freedom to do what they will to themselves and the other is trying to enforce their own religious doctrine upon those who do not want it.

Thats the whole "forcing one's religion upon others" thing. If you force yourself upon others, prepare to be mocked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you don't believe in a magic courtroom in the sky and burning alive forever, then there is no reason not to murder and rape
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they ackowledge He exists, then they would have to do something about their sin.

I thought it was because I hate god?

I can never keep the reasons straight...

If you don't believe in a magic courtroom in the sky and burning alive forever, then there is no reason not to murder and rape

I know, right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do not believe in global warming, why mock the people who do, or even worse, mock al gore himself?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If they ackowledge He exists, then they would have to do something about their sin.
View Quote
That makes absolutely no sense, and no non-believer is a non believer for this reason.  You are completely wrong about this.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Or the anti-gay marriage argument.

They don't want to leave people alone, they want you to agree with them.

Cuts both ways buddy.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Who cares?

I felt the need to correct what I thought was flawed thinking too....when I was still a child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares?

Ironic post.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why?

What does that do for you?  I have no dog in this fight at all, but have always wondered why people do that.  Who cares what others believe in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I make fun of people who believe in the paranormal too.

Why?

What does that do for you?  I have no dog in this fight at all, but have always wondered why people do that.  Who cares what others believe in?

At least people who believe in UFOs and ghosts don't try to legislate based on that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
At least people who believe in UFOs and ghosts don't try to legislate based on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Its still fun to debunk their BS though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Out of fear, they must rationalize through mockery.  How can you believe in something if you mock it?

Pascal's Wager.  They have to spend their entire hoping God does not exist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't mock them generally, and were it entirely a private matter, I wouldn't give it a second thought. However, those who worship the various Christian Gods are actively engaged in society, and affect the world that we live in.
If people seriously wanted to steer the nation by the words of Woden or Thor, I would be equally concerned. Fortunately, most Christian religions parse the Bible for the good bits and ignore the rest. This generally tends towards a peaceful, stable society.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
There was this one guy who was not only mocked but they tortured him and hung him on a cross. Before he died he forgave them.

They were so afraid he might show back up that they stationed a hundred soldiers around his tomb. The following Sunday morning the whole world changed forever............
arfcom mocking don't mean nothin'.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I make fun of the hypocrisy and blindness that is religion,  and the people who just follow along.  

What's that? I don't believe the same silly shit you do so I'm a fool and I'm going to burn in the hellfires for eternity? Well fuck you too. In my religion,  you are going to hell,  but there you get fuckin in the ass with a rusty chainsaw for all of eternity.

I've never been a follower. If everyone is running one direction,  I'll go the other way to see what's up.  Same thing with religion. I grew up with people telling me to be a Christian,  be afraid of God,  love Jesus,  etc, etc. I made other choices and I am quite pleased with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am reading threads and looking at many news websites that question if Jesus was real and question if he was really was resurrected on the 3rd day. Let us all assume Jesus was not the Son of God and there was not God period, the people who mocked the believers were right. Although let us all say he was alive and Jesus is real and people Mock them and Mocked Jesus do you really think your good deeds will grant you forgiveness and Jesus will allow you into the Kingdome? Is it really worth the risk to face God at judgment day?  If you believe there is no God why and then why do you feel it is justified to mock others who do?

I make fun of the hypocrisy and blindness that is religion,  and the people who just follow along.  

What's that? I don't believe the same silly shit you do so I'm a fool and I'm going to burn in the hellfires for eternity? Well fuck you too. In my religion,  you are going to hell,  but there you get fuckin in the ass with a rusty chainsaw for all of eternity.

I've never been a follower. If everyone is running one direction,  I'll go the other way to see what's up.  Same thing with religion. I grew up with people telling me to be a Christian,  be afraid of God,  love Jesus,  etc, etc. I made other choices and I am quite pleased with them.

It sounds to me that you have issues that you need to deal with.. You make fun of something you know nothing about and yet you come on the internet and believe you are this badass that people will look up to. You may have a psychological disorder that makes you feel superior to others, yet you are a coward in real life. You may believe you’re a tough guy but we know the truth.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#20]
While mocking is perhaps not the best way to go about it, sometimes it's important to remind people that their view is not the only valid perspective out there. When folks are allowed to create their own little echo chambers by driving out dissent frequently it preceeds other bad things. And for that matter, in this case we are talking about challenging people to think rationally about a subject that most folks tend not to approach in a rational or empirical manner (regardless of which religion you are speaking about).
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't buy all the Jesus stuff but it's not right to make fun of it. Live and let live.
View Quote

I do not believe mocking one belief is really persecuting someone, although I believe these people are ones that would rejoice in seeing a Christian persecuted for their belief.. I believe the time is coming where Christians will be faced with persecution.

John 15:18-21
“If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you... If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you... because they do not know Him who sent Me."

I also read someone’s post about church and how people do not live the life they preach.

I have been mocked and threaten inside a church, where we are told to love each other. I have been kicked out and told never to come back. I been told I was not good enough to attend their church. All because I was poor growing up and I did not have a father due to him leaving us when I was 2 years old. I find it hard to believe that churches are of God any more and more and more of them more like a business making money that only benefits themselves.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

I believe my relationship is with the lord Jesus and not with the church. I know there are some great churches that are of God and others that are not. You need to have your own relationship with God and not base it off just the church one may attend. I believe he died for my sins, so I can be forgiven for what I have done.  This song believe is a perfect song for me and my walk with Jesus knowing what If I stumble and when I fall and what happens if I make a fool of us all?

"The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today
Is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips
Then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.
That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg6HedZ4xGs
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wonder why they don't mock Mohammad instead.
View Quote

Because Site Staff will give you the BOOT for that. Christians, on the other hand are in a "Free Fire Zone"
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't make fun of most Christians because it's rude and it hurts their feelings.

However, I don't understand why you don't understand why people make fun of Christians (or anyone else for that matter). Do you never make fun of people who are wrong? Like Bronies and Democrats? There's nothing more natural in the world than laughing at people with weird, silly beliefs based on nothing.

I'm being candid because you asked for it. I don't usually volunteer my opinion on the validity of Christianity. You have every right to love Jesus, and I think he's wonderful too. Fictional, but wonderful and good for the peaceful functioning of society.
View Quote

Let's count the number of pro Fred Phelps threads on this board vs. the number of snotty atheist comments on this board.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cuts both ways buddy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cuts both ways buddy.

What the hell are you talking about??!?  I do not know one single person who lobbies against homosexuals.  Do they exist?  Sure.  Are they the norm?  Nope.  (speaking of truly anti-guy persons like, "I hate me some gay people!  GRR!!"  that type)

Do what ever you want.  Why must you be called "married"?  Because you want others to see you as an acceptable alternative to the norm of several thousand years....

If you cannot see the difference, you are simple ideologically blind.

Cheers and God Bless.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm just going to mock your grammar, because that's the worstest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True, but, one group wants the freedom to do what they will to themselves and the other is trying to enforce their own religious doctrine upon those who do not want it.

Thats the whole "forcing one's religion upon others" thing. If you force yourself upon others, prepare to be mocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was unaware my attending weekly religious service was infringing on your rights to not do so...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because Site Staff will give you the BOOT for that. Christians, on the other hand are in a "Free Fire Zone"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder why they don't mock Mohammad instead.

Get over your persecution complex. I've seen good long-standing members get the banhammer for pushing it in christian threads. I've never seen a single christian poster catch any flak for the crap they constantly fling at atheists (= immoral, cowards, bullies, mass murderers, fags, liberals, commies, etc). Not that I'd care for anyone to be punished, watching the theater of the absurd gives me plenty of enjoyment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am reading threads and looking at many news websites that question if Jesus was real and question if he was really was resurrected on the 3rd day. Let us all assume Jesus was not the Son of God and there was not God period, the people who mocked the believers were right. Although let us all say he was alive and Jesus is real and people Mock them and Mocked Jesus do you really think your good deeds will grant you forgiveness and Jesus will allow you into the Kingdome? Is it really worth the risk to face God at judgment day?  If you believe there is no God why and then why do you feel it is justified to mock others who do?
View Quote

Have you ever made fun of Bronies, people who attend ComicCons, or folks who dress up in costumes to go to a movie premier?

To me, they're no different than Christians. They've read a book which relies on nothing more than the reader's ability to defy logic and believe in things which can not reasonably be expected to actually happen, and now let that book run their lives. Seriously, some guy dying and walking out of his tomb three days later is just as believable as a flying pony that talks and does magic. However, if a person believes in the Zombie Savior, they are not able to be ridiculed, whereas the guys who like MLP are openly subject to ridicule. I'll believe in God, the resurrection of Jesus, and Heaven the day I see a Pegasus, a Unicorn, a Hobbit, a wizard, or a guy in bullet proof pajamas who flies faster than the speed of sound.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was this one guy who was not only mocked but they tortured him and hung him on a cross. Before he died he forgave them.

They were so afraid he might show back up that they stationed a hundred soldiers around his tomb. The following Sunday morning the whole world changed forever............

arfcom mocking don't mean nothin'.

Amen brother.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#30]
it was prophesized that it will happen
The Bible tells us that we will be persecuted for believing in Him

that should be a starting point to believe in Him. A very old book telling us that Christians will be mocked and persecuted for their beliefs before it happens.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

that should be a starting point to believe in Him. A very old book telling us that Christians will be mocked and persecuted for their beliefs before it happens.
View Quote

So, if I convince people to actually believe a lump of pasta will touch them with his noodlie appendage, but that people will mock them for believing me, does that mean Pastafarianism is based on the truth?

I can guarantee that when Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, and Paul walked around Jerusalem saying that Christ had risen from his tomb, there were people then who laughed at them, long before they sat down and put ink on a piece of papyrus.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure some of the stuff she's prophesied came true.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

This.  I don't believe in god or organized religion but I don't try to change the minds of people that do.  To each their own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What the hell are you talking about??!?  I do not know one single person who lobbies against homosexuals.  Do they exist?  Sure.  Are they the norm?  Nope.  (speaking of truly anti-guy persons like, "I hate me some gay people!  GRR!!"  that type)

Do what ever you want.  Why must you be called "married"?  Because you want others to see you as an acceptable alternative to the norm of several thousand years....

Cheers and God Bless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cuts both ways buddy.

Cheers and God Bless.

Yeah, childish people who are so emotionally attached to the meaning of a word don't exist, and constitutional amendments defining the word appeared out of thin air.  

If you can't see the absurdity in trying to draw a distinction between the gay haters and the gays then you have no understanding of reality.

God bless? No thanks. I don't want any.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
BS.

Christians have been persecuted since Jesus, as they were seen as a heretical Jewish sect.  

You can't prophesize something that was already happening at the time the book was written.

I'm going to write a book in 50 years saying how the government is going to start getting involved in social matters, like health care, and political correctness and pushing for gun control.

What an amazing prophecy!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Because this is the Internet, where we poke at anything we don't like with sharp sticks.

It's really just that simple.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm hoping God has a sense of humor otherwise I'm fucked.

I believe in Jeebus, that he died for my sins and rose again but I SO wanted to ask what round to, you know, but I saw all those posts had been deleted in the Easter thread so I opted out...

But Happy Easter everybody!  Praise Jeebus!

I don't think he saw his shadow when he arose, so winter is over!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Because this is the Internet, where we poke at anything we don't like with sharp sticks.
It's really just that simple.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Yep.
Exhibit A:
A bunch of neck beards who don't believe in environmentalism talking about how they are going to go out of their way to do the opposite of it.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1615875_earth_day_is_april_22__prepare_the_tires.html
Why O why can't religious folks see that their belief in god and other people's reaction to it is exactly the same as shit like this?
To make the parallel complete: I'd wager that environmentalists care as much about the earth as people do about their particular subjective religion, so why do these mean old people want to hurt their feelings? Can't they just be happy for the environmentalists and not be offensive on the most important days of the year for environmentalists?  Seems silly to me.  I mean, pascals wager says that even if there is only a slight chance that burning tires and pouring oil will ruin the earth, why risk it?  If they feel that environmentalism is nonsense, why do you feel the need to mock others who think it is important?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Have you read the Bible my friend ???? it's supposed to be that way I believe the word it uses is " Persecution " and you should welcome it
View Quote
Internet teasing is a dick move.  Killing people for their religious beliefs is persecution.  There's a hell of a difference.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#42]
how can a god have a son?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you even Hercules bro?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Ah it takes a special kind of stupid.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even Hercules bro?

Pish that was just heathen fairy tail's the bible says so!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#45]
dupe

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Have you ever made fun of Bronies, people who attend ComicCons, or folks who dress up in costumes to go to a movie premier?

To me, they're no different than Christians. They've read a book which relies on nothing more than the reader's ability to defy logic and believe in things which can not reasonably be expected to actually happen, and now let that book run their lives. Seriously, some guy dying and walking out of his tomb three days later is just as believable as a flying pony that talks and does magic. However, if a person believes in the Zombie Savior, they are not able to be ridiculed, whereas the guys who like MLP are openly subject to ridicule. I'll believe in God, the resurrection of Jesus, and Heaven the day I see a Pegasus, a Unicorn, a Hobbit, a wizard, or a guy in bullet proof pajamas who flies faster than the speed of sound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe it or not I don't... I do not get joy out of making fun of someone. It may not be my thing but if it makes them happy good for them. Again I am no way perfect but making fun of someone is not my thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Believe it or not I don't... I do not get joy out of making fun of someone. It may not be my thing but if it makes them happy good for them. Again I am no way perfect but making fun of someone is not my thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like has been mentioned, it's not necessarily that one gets enjoyment out of making fun out of someone.  

Take the science vs creation threads that always pop up.  Whether one group trolls the others thread irrelevant, but you always and up with the creation/religion folks saying "Oh yeah, well what about this?!" and somebody posts a scientific explanation, or a link to some video or study pointing out something the religious person didn't previously know, and then it's escalated to the next "Ah ha! Gotcha" which is then again refuted by facts and logic.  Then 10 pages into the thread someone comes along and says the same "I ain't come from no monkey!" type of comment that was already discussed extensively in the 2nd page of the thread and it starts all over again.  At that point you reach a level of frustration that you just want to start calling people stupid (but of course I'm calling anybody stupid).  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This thread should be good.

And OP, to answer your question, not all atheists are like that.  I am a Christian, and I have several atheist friends.  The behavior you are referring to has more to do with being a douche than being an atheist.  And douches come in all shapes, colors, and faiths.
View Quote

This! It isn't the belief or lack of belief that makes an asshole. Some people are just confrontational assholes...they can be Christians, atheists, Hindu, Muslim...makes no difference. Such is life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone have Jim Beam over for a slumber party?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top