Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#1]
We have the same problem with squatch threads.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've seen far more proselytizing from the atheists here, then I have from any other religious group.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
It's hip and trendy to mock people of faith. It makes those who do the mocking, feel superior and intelligent. I believe, and I have friends who don't. I don't berate them for being "non-believers." I respect their choice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The Chaplains I met were the best people in the world.

From what I've read, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, and Josef Stalin were the worst people in the world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From what I've read, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, and Josef Stalin were the worst people in the world.
View Quote

They weren't atheist, they believed they were gods.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's hip and trendy to mock people of faith. It makes those who do the mocking, feel superior and intelligent. I believe, and I have friends who don't. I don't berate them for being "non-believers." I respect there choice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I get my feeling of superiority and intelligence from correcting posters' spelling and grammar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Honest answer?  For the lulz.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am reading threads and looking at many news websites that question if Jesus was real and question if he was really was resurrected on the 3rd day. Let us all assume Jesus was not the Son of God and there was not God period, the people who mocked the believers were right. Although let us all say he was alive and Jesus is real and people Mock them and Mocked Jesus do you really think your good deeds will grant you forgiveness and Jesus will allow you into the Kingdome? Is it really worth the risk to face God at judgment day?  If you believe there is no God why and then why do you feel it is justified to mock others who do?
View Quote

It was written in the book of revelation that we as Christians would be persecuted in the end times. Rejoice in the knowledge that our time suffering on earth is nearing an end and the return of our Lord is coming.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a way to think of it.

Imagine there is one kid in Ms. Henderson's 2nd grade class. He's the only one who hasn't figured out that Santa isn't real. He goes around telling all the other students how great Santa is, and how much Santa is going to give him on Dec 25th. He goes on and on about it.

When you try to explain to him that Santa is just his parents, he doesn't believe you. He brings in newspapers with "Letters to Santa" from other children and pictures of half eaten cookies on Christmas morning as proof that Santa is real.

You've tried and tried to tell him he's wrong. You've tried to refute his proof with logic and science.

After a while you just get tired of trying to help him and just start mocking him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It was written in the book of revelation that we as Christians would be persecuted in the end times. Rejoice in the knowledge that our time suffering on earth is nearing an end and the return of our Lord is coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am reading threads and looking at many news websites that question if Jesus was real and question if he was really was resurrected on the 3rd day. Let us all assume Jesus was not the Son of God and there was not God period, the people who mocked the believers were right. Although let us all say he was alive and Jesus is real and people Mock them and Mocked Jesus do you really think your good deeds will grant you forgiveness and Jesus will allow you into the Kingdome? Is it really worth the risk to face God at judgment day?  If you believe there is no God why and then why do you feel it is justified to mock others who do?

Someone mocking you on teh interwebz is persecution?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Because some people get their rocks off pissing all over the belief systems of others.  IMO, militant athiests are the worst about it.  I have severed friendships due to someone losing their faith and getting militant about pissing all over mine.  A long term friend decided two years ago that there was no God, and became very extreme in his views, to the point of openly mocking EVERYONE around him who had Faith.  I confronted him and asked why, if he no longer believed in "The invisible Man in the sky" (his words) did he still believe in extraterrestrial intelligent life?  After all, he could no more prove to me that they exist, than I could that God did.  We haven't spoken since, and to the best of my knowledge, neither has most of his family.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen far more proselytizing from the atheists here, then I have from any other religious group.

FIFY

He had it right the first time for some atheists.
For some, atheism is the religion of not believing in a god.
For some it is a rebellion against perceived authority.
The ones that want to tell you that you are stupid often have an inferiority problem and want to try to make themselves feel smarter.
Some people just like to argue.
Some like to know what others believe and why they believe it.
There are as many reasons as there are people.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I make fun of people who believe in the paranormal too.
View Quote

Astrology also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
It is difficult to find a group with more arrogant, disrespectful, holier-than-thou, condescending, loudmouth conceited pricks than Atheists.

-atheist
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The humans who value freedom and compassion for other humans are generally the ones who do/are good, and the ones against freedom and lack compassion are ones who are harmful. Religion or lack thereof is a red herring.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree with 3expert. And I guess what I don't understand is how can anyone look around at all this incredible universe and it's life of flora and fauna and believe they owe no one for enjoying it.
Life without a Higher Power must not be much of a life at all. How truly sad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It is difficult to find a group with more arrogant, disrespectful, holier-than-thou, condescending, loudmouth conceited pricks than Atheists.

-atheist
View Quote

I can't argue with that, no matter how much I love to argue.

-other atheist

eta: No! Wait! I can! Black Supremacists have us beat! And Gender Feminists too. And maybe Libertarians.

The thing they seem to have in common is that they feel like an oppressed minority? Like they had to keep it in too long and all the shit inside is finally bubbling out their mouths?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I make fun of the hypocrisy and blindness that is religion,  and the people who just follow along.  

What's that? I don't believe the same silly shit you do so I'm a fool and I'm going to burn in the hellfires for eternity? Well fuck you too. In my religion,  you are going to hell,  but there you get fuckin in the ass with a rusty chainsaw for all of eternity.

I've never been a follower. If everyone is running one direction,  I'll go the other way to see what's up.  Same thing with religion. I grew up with people telling me to be a Christian,  be afraid of God,  love Jesus,  etc, etc. I made other choices and I am quite pleased with them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#23]
because they keep starting weird threads like this....

Is all this angst because of Easter?    It would seem to me this would be the time of year when Christians were most sure in their convictions.

The triumph of the cross on Good Friday, the gathering of His power through Holy Saturday, and He is risen on Easter.  

The vast majority of atheists don't claim to know about the existence of God, only that they don't believe in God.   We could care less what you believe in.

Happy Easter!

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they ackowledge He exists, then they would have to do something about their sin.
View Quote

It's comments like this that make me ridicule you.  

It does 3 very manipulative things (which have become tiresome)
1)  It insinuates that there is no other option, even though you know damn well there are.
2)  It insinuates that I would be religious, if only I would face the "sins" I have committed.
3)  It insinuates that I have not yet reached the apex of my spiritual awakening.

All three of those insinuations are very insulting, and therefore, I ridicule you because your comment is utterly inane if you examine it.

Also, any time a manipulative statement like this is used, I automatically disregard it as worthwhile, because it's a bald face manipulation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#25]
How else could they earn the nickname "pesky atheists"?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#26]
FPNI again!

Is this some sort of phenomena, or what?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FPNI again!

Is this some sort of phenomena, or what?
View Quote

First post does not nail it.  

I'm not non-religious because I refuse to accept that I have sinned.  I am not religious because I don't see any evidence that suggests that the practice is in fact, worth my time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Because some people feel better about themselves when they're mocking others.

The fact that it's over religion doesn't matter.  If it wasn't religion it'd be some other factor like how you vote, or what kind of computer you use.  The real meat of the issue is that they've decided they're better than others and this is how they "prove" it.  

It's not a new form of enlightenment.  It's just age-old human nature ... just dressed up to pretend it's something other than what it really is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe in god but I'm not very religious. I lbelieve in live and let live. Except for bible thumpers. If you approach me out of no where and start preaching AT me with no pre knowledge of my religious activities or lack there of I become an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do admit to getting childish pleasure when I mess with the atheists.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I agree with 3expert. And I guess what I don't understand is how can anyone look around at all this incredible universe and it's life of flora and fauna and believe they owe no one for enjoying it.

Life without a Higher Power must not be much of a life at all. How truly sad.
View Quote
I don't believe in a higher power.  I have a great marriage to a beautiful woman, 4 wonderful, bright and happy sons, a good and prosperous career, excellent friends, a home, parents who I see every day, a shitload of guns, and north of 10,000 rounds of .22LR.  

Sad, indeed

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#32]
There are Roman histories that talk about Jesus.  He definitely was a real person.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#33]

They are lacking anything of real meaning in their own lives, so try to bring others down to their level of unhappiness.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am reading threads and looking at many news websites that question if Jesus was real and question if he was really was resurrected on the 3rd day. Let us all assume Jesus was not the Son of God and there was not God period, the people who mocked the believers were right. Although let us all say he was alive and Jesus is real and people Mock them and Mocked Jesus do you really think your good deeds will grant you forgiveness and Jesus will allow you into the Kingdome? Is it really worth the risk to face God at judgment day?  If you believe there is no God why an
d then why do you feel it is justified to mock others who do?

See, we atheists aren't the only ones who enjoy "the games"...

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are Roman histories that talk about Jesus.  He definitely was a real person.
View Quote

Muhammed was a real person.  Does that mean Allah is god and Muhammed is his messenger?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#36]
The only way we will move forward as a society, is to move beyond superstition and fairytails, and start acting like the rational, thinking humans we can be. We make fun of 10 year olds when they still believe in the tooth fairy.. Why should adults who believe in a zombie be any different? If you handed the bible stories to a kid who had never heard them, along with a group of other fairy tales, he wouldn't see any difference.

It blows my mind that otherwise smart people actually believe things like the earth being 6000 year old, that we all came from Adam and eve, that Noah saved all the animals, people lived for hundreds of years, etc.Its equally annoying when they blow off history, when shown that most important holy days are taken from pagan or other religion (like Christmas coming from a very similar ancient Egyptian date).

Our world would be so amazing if it weren't for the religions, and the hate they breed (to say they breed anything else is a lie... All through history, slaughters and wars come about simply because of the "wrong" religion). We are fighting that fight of ignorance and hate even today. Just imagine if we focused on real problems in the world, and not killing each other in the name of a 2000 year old book (which was changed dozens of times over hundreds of years by people who were never around for any of those events...)
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Straight up? Because magic isn't real and omnipotent zombies respawning their secondary personalities to evade responsibility for their own moral codes is silly.

But on a more involved level, because supernaturalist Christianity hasn't realized it has lost the inter-church battle and is now a fringe cult attached to the ruling denomination - post-magical Christianity, better known as liberal progressivism. Many atheists are members in the latter faction, and its universalist moral code is naturally hostile to letting people believe in productive lies sourced from discredited books. Plus, interdenominational conflict.

It's really a "why do conservatives always lose" argument all over again. History has moved past the fundamentalists, and the rest don't realize they are actually their opponents minus a few decades.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

-other atheist

eta: No! Wait! I can! Black Supremacists have us beat! And Gender Feminists too. And maybe Libertarians.

The thing they seem to have in common is that they feel like an oppressed minority? Like they had to keep it in too long and all the shit inside is finally bubbling out their mouths?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-atheist

-other atheist

The asshole Atheists that I've met don't seem to fall into the oppressed minority category.  More like the "I know how to solve a Rubiks Cube in less than 70 moves, I can't believe the rest of you are so stupid" category.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zeus is also in Roman histories.  Real person?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#41]
posted in another thread

Originally Posted By :

My personal beliefs are sound.  Satanists, pagans, atheists; all enemies of God.  I won't show them an ounce of respect, or give them an inch of ground to stand on.  I would stand with the muslims to defeat them.
View Quote

Because this is what they want, and christian "moderates" don't speak out against it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#42]
The world has always and will always be that way, until the Second Coming.  Read your Bible and it's plain to see.  The spirit of anti-Christ is strong.  As a Christian we just have to keep on keeping on and doing the work of the Church.  Either people listen, or they don't.  And if they don't want to hear then we should just move on and not waste any more precious time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It is difficult to find a group with more arrogant, disrespectful, (less) holier-than-thou, condescending, loudmouth conceited pricks than Atheists.

-atheist
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If they ackowledge He exists, then they would have to do something about their sin.
View Quote

I believe a teacher by the name of Jesus existed around 2000 years and had a profound influnce on western culture. I am a Zen Buddhist and he is what we call a Bodhisattva, a enlightened person who helps others obtain enlightenment. We see things in karmatic terms, not "sin", so Buddhists have zero issues with him.

I think it is silly to mock people's faith. Everyone has their own path to enlightenment , god, whatever you call it. Just be respectful to other people and don't try to preach at them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#45]
"Don't start nothing, and there won't be nothing" is a philosophy that probably should be in more usage by all parties.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#46]
This is GD, EVERYTHING is mocked here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The asshole Atheists that I've met don't seem to fall into the oppressed minority category.  More like the "I know how to solve a Rubiks Cube in less than 70 moves, I can't believe the rest of you are so stupid" category.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-atheist

-other atheist

You don't think that "atheist geniuses" feel "oppressed" by "the stupids"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"Don't start nothing, and there won't be nothing" is a philosophy that probably should be in more usage by all parties.
View Quote

I swear, this place is obsessed with atheists, gays, and weed. I read more about them here than I see or see about them in every day life.

It's like bizarro-world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why?

What does that do for you?  I have no dog in this fight at all, but have always wondered why people do that.  Who cares what others believe in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I make fun of people who believe in the paranormal too.

Why?

What does that do for you?  I have no dog in this fight at all, but have always wondered why people do that.  Who cares what others believe in?

It helps small men feel big.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#50]
This is a forum where people go out of their way to mock any one who doesn't agree with them.  If a news story reports any one doing anything someone could conceivably find objectionable, there will be a GD thread making fun.  There doesn't even need to be a news story, people will start threads about things they saw and want to make fun of.

Why would religion be special?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top