Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2014 2:41:48 AM EDT
Three months PATERNITY leave for a new attending?
Guy has been with group a year and a half.  Takes 3 months off because wife has a kid.

Another example,

We were in the OR and one of the surgeons got a page. His response was to call Dr. X.
The nurse's reply (heard over the speakers) Dr. X is out on paternity leave for the next 2 months".

The entire OR crew simultaneously busted out laughing.

Go ahead, take your paternity leave---the rest of us will know you are a bitch for dumping your work on us.
Women are different, baby needs it's mother.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
that wouldn't fly with most of the groups I know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't take it but in the days of "everyone is now an equal" I don't see any fault in it.

If I was stuck at home for 2-3 months with a newborn and a readjusting hormonal psychopath I'd either go nuts or get murdered.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's gonna bite him in the ass.  Doesn't impact my schedule as I'm a nurse but his colleagues are ready to string him up.

We had a CRNA get hired on a few years ago. Well, turns out she was pregnant but didn't mention that (sure she didn't have to, but it's a douche move) until she was hired on.

She ended up leaving of her own accord before delivering. She was a New York City girl and didn't understand why we were upset that she was going to be taking maternity leave within a year of employment. We were strapped for CRNAs at the time and she just didn't get it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take it but in the days of "everyone is now an equal" I don't see any fault in it.

If I was stuck at home for 2-3 months with a newborn and a readjusting hormonal psychopath I'd either go nuts or get murdered.
View Quote

Indeed!!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Is he getting PTO? If not can't the group get a Locum?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a shit thing to do from a business standpoint. Fucking over your co-workers for a few months is what we call a career limiting move even if you are a surgical attending
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is he getting PTO? If not can't the group get a Locum?
View Quote

He will be paid some of it and some he will be able to use sick time I think (as it's covered under FMLA)
It's a large group. We have docs to cover. It will mean a little more call etc.

I think it's the principle. Many of the docs have kids. They didn't take off months for it. Also, this is a young doc. Hasn't proven himself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is a shit thing to do from a business standpoint. Fucking over your co-workers for a few months is what we call a career limiting move even if you are a surgical attending
View Quote

I am informed by a certain higher up that the situation will be dealt with once an appropriate amount of time has passed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Because he's a doctor he can't take time to be with his new family?

He sounds like what we need more of.  A hard working married couple who is putting his family first.

I took paternity leave with my first child and I'm glad I did, and in a few weeks I'll be covering for my coworker who is also taking paternity leave.

I have no problem with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#10]
It may be a result of the kinder/gentler residency requirements.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am informed by a certain higher up that the situation will be dealt with once an appropriate amount of time has passed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you have a nice leave? Great, now GTFO!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Welcome to the softer, kinder, gentler age of medicine!  I know all areas of society lament how it was tougher and better in the past, but I really do see a dramatic shift in the thinking of recent medical graduates over the last 8 years or so.  I took one week off for the birth of my children but I was careful:

1) I knew the approximate date they were due so I had a one single week planned off.  

2) I had a call partner, in advance, who agreed to take call that week or switch for the following week.

I was actually on call the day my first child was born and happened to see two consults in the ER that day but fortunately didn't miss the birth.  The call partner then took over call the next day as planned well in advance so as not to inconvenience them by a sudden leave of absence.

My clinic is a multi-specialty group and a few years ago one of the new internists tried to pull the '3 months off' paternity leave thing.  He nearly caused a riot!  He was able to get 3 weeks off but he only lasted about two more years and then left.

If you are a male doc and take 3 months paternity leave (unless there are serious medical problems with the newborn) then you are a weak POS and should question your manhood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He sounds like what we need more of.  A hard working married couple who is putting his family first.

I took paternity leave with my first child and I'm glad I did, and in a few weeks I'll be covering for my coworker who is also taking paternity leave.

View Quote

Did you miss the part about everyone busting out laughing?
It's a different work culture.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1

Welcome to the softer, kinder, gentler age of medicine!  I know all areas of society lament how it was tougher and better in the past, but I really do see a dramatic shift in the thinking of recent medical graduates over the last 8 years or so.  I took one week off for the birth of my children but I was careful:

1) I knew the approximate date they were due so I had a one single week planned off.  

2) I had a call partner, in advance, who agreed to take call that week or switch for the following week.

I was actually on call the day my first child was born and happened to see two consults in the ER that day but fortunately didn't miss the birth.  The call partner then took over call the next day as planned well in advance so as not to inconvenience them by a sudden leave of absence.

My clinic is a multi-specialty group and a few years ago one of the new internists tried to pull the '3 months off' paternity leave thing.  He nearly caused a riot!  He was able to get 3 weeks off but he only lasted about two more years and then left.

If you are a male doc and take 3 months paternity leave (unless there are serious medical problems with the newborn) then you are a weak POS and should question your manhood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This is about spot the fuck on as it gets.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

At the expense and inconvenience of his colleagues?  No.  He was most likely hired to help with the daily workload and take call pressure off the other docs in the first place, so this 3 months off attempt is utter bullshit.  

It's embarrassing that he's even asking in the first place.  But like I posted above, the culture of medicine is changing and I assure you this will be bad for patients.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#16]
FMLA
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't say the guy's position, but we go shooting together. We discussed it.
He asked my take on it.

I said "well doc, he is young, his wife is young, they aren't going to stop fucking and he sees nothing wrong with fucking the group. So, FUCK him."
I expect the doc's contract to not be renewed past 31 Oct 2015.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It may be a result of the kinder/gentler residency requirements.
View Quote

+1

You beat me to my point.  Limiting the hours of residents and allowing them a lot of lee-way is resulting in bad work ethics.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At the expense and inconvenience of his colleagues?  No.  He was most likely hired to help with the daily workload and take call pressure off the other docs in the first place, so this 3 months off attempt is utter bullshit.  

It's embarrassing that he's even asking in the first place.  But like I posted above, the culture of medicine is changing and I assure you this will be bad for patients.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tell everyone---DON"T GET SICK.

The nurses have been bad for awhile now and getting worse.
The docs are starting their decline.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I've known a couple docs who've done paternity leave, but none were surgeons. Both were in groups that supported it--which I found ironic, as the covering docs were in their 50s & not having more kids so they could experience a quid pro quo....

It's a different world in medicine & surgery, in particular.

As a surgeon--I wouldn't take paternity leave unless there was some significant health issue involving my wife or kid--but maybe I'm old fashioned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've known a couple docs who've done paternity leave, but none were surgeons. Both were in groups that supported it--which I found ironic, as the covering docs were in their 50s & not having more kids so they could experience a quid pro quo....

It's a different world in medicine & surgery, in particular.

As a surgeon--I wouldn't take paternity leave unless there was some significant health issue involving my wife or kid--but maybe I'm old fashioned.
View Quote

and just have a good work ethic.

My wife would look at me like a pussy if I even mentioned 3 months off for a kid. She is a hard worker.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I tried to do that. I can't change what I am & what I do based on a silly rule.

I'm going to guess that the surgeon in question is one of our younger, 80hr work week entitled kids. Hopefully, he passed his boards, at the very least.

I'm concerned  about the overall quality of finishing general surgeons & work ethic, but that's beyond the scope of your question.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FMLA
View Quote

That's exactly what his colleagues are saying: "Fuck my life, asshole."

There is nothing a doctor hates more than a colleague who is lazy and dumps work on him.  I have enough work, I don't need to do yours.  This is (or was) a fundamental principle in medicine.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  And patient care will suffer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is nothing a doctor hates more than a colleague who is lazy and dumps work on him.  I have enough work, I don't need to do yours.  This is (or was) a fundamental principle in medicine.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FMLA

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh, I wouldn't take paternity leave but I can see how it's more important now than in the past. Gone are the days when most people have an extended family around them to provide the new mother with help and support over the first few weeks. I was lucky in that respect but if my wife had needed me there, I would have been there. I don't have a problem with someone taking leave.

"Work ethic" is about giving your work the respect that it deserves - that doesn't mean slavishly and obsessively putting it above anything and everything else, it means not using bullshit reasons to skip work or give a sub-par performance. A new baby isn't a bullshit reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Good for him. His family > his work. If they don't like him taking his legally backed leave they should probably leave the practice. Who cares if everyone was laughing. Are you in high school?

Sounds like you're the bitch for complaining of a little extra work. Suck it up, Sally. He's the physician and you're the nurse. You don't get to dictate anything he does other than dictating on the chart what supplies he used in the surgery and his lap count. Quit trying to coattail his colleagues.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#28]
When my daughter was born, I took 3 months off FMLA.  This was back in the late 90s.  I'm a nurse and I did not get paid for it.

The ICU I worked in didn't like it.  Zero fucks given, I'm very glad I did.  I wanted to be there for my child and I was.  If I had a child born today, I'd be filling out the FMLA papers again.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good for him. His family > his work. If they don't like him taking his legally backed leave they should probably leave the practice. Who cares if everyone was laughing. Are you in high school?
View Quote

Surgery is a veryyyy different world than a lot of professions. The new restrictions on how hard you can work your residents reminds me of salty old lifers complaining their soldiers aren't tough enough because you can't beat the shit out of them anymore.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds like you're the bitch for complaining of a little extra work. Suck it up, Sally. He's the physician and you're the nurse. You don't get to dictate anything he does other than dictating on the chart what supplies he used in the surgery and his lap count. Quit trying to coattail his colleagues.
View Quote

Eta.

He's gonna be the one leaving the practice.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When my daughter was born, I took 3 months off FMLA.  This was back in the late 90s.  I'm a nurse and I did not get paid for it.

The ICU I worked in didn't like it.  Zero fucks given, I'm very glad I did.  I wanted to be there for my child and I was.  If I had a child born today, I'd be filling out the FMLA papers again.

View Quote

How long did you work there afterwards?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Eta.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta.

Oh so they're going to fire him for taking leave?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Surgery is a veryyyy different world than a lot of professions. The new restrictions on how hard you can work your residents reminds me of salty old lifers complaining their soldiers aren't tough enough because you can't beat the shit out of them anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He isn't a resident. Recent residency requirement modifications is moot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta.

Read the thread
It's obvious from your first post you didn't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not long.  They were super pissy so I put in notice and went agency fulltime.  My pay almost doubled and I got to spend more time with my kid and I had supreme flexibility with my schedule.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not long.  They were super pissy so I put in notice and went agency fulltime.  My pay almost doubled and I got to spend more time with my kid and I had supreme flexibility with my schedule.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ef/d4/f5efd4b21e9eb39ae238604d5c88802b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/ef/d4/f5efd4b21e9eb39ae238604d5c88802b.jpg

But you were gone.  As this doc will be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I took off 1 week when our son was born.

I was READY to go back to work after that with all the family and inlaws that was over.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Damn, I've seen women docs come back to work faster after popping one out. Hell, my wife's OB had a kid three weeks before delivering my daughter. They were preggers together and she was wife to one of my ER attendings, it was cute. She promised she wouldn't miss it and didn't. 3 months for a dad is nuts in medicine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Read the thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta.

Read the thread

No, I read it just fine. You're speculating. I HIGHLY doubt you have any information into the administrative activity held by a group of physicians. B/c you "heard" or you "suspect" doesn't mean it's the truth. Having a physician tell you that it'll be addressed when time has passed is his way of telling you he doesn't want to talk to you about it for a long time and/or it's none of your business. You sound  very gossipy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's a shame.  A father is every bit as much a parent as a mother is.  Why should society say mom is ok to spend 3 months at home with the baby, but dad can't because he has a Y chromosome?

I believe this line of thinking is old fashioned and will die out.  Some fields, such as medicine which is still male dominated, will take longer to come around.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think it's a shame.  A father is every bit as much a parent as a mother is.  Why should society say mom is ok to spend 3 months at home with the baby, but dad can't because he has a Y chromosome?

I believe this line of thinking is old fashioned and will die out.  Some fields, such as medicine which is still male dominated, will take longer to come around.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree with everything you said except The part about that idea dying out.
It will. In the future it will be routine for dads to take  months off

I don't agree,with it but it will happen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn, I've seen women docs come back to work faster after popping one out. Hell, my wife's OB had a kid three weeks before delivering my daughter. They were preggers together and she was wife to one of my ER attendings, it was cute. She promised she wouldn't miss it and didn't. 3 months for a dad is nuts in medicine.
View Quote

It's all about ME and my LIFESTYLE.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know.

We are all guilty of thinking of ourselves too much and not the patient or our co-workers.
I try to fight against it and get the message to Garcia. (thank you MarineOrdie)
It has paid off in many ways (another 4 per cent raise this year, 4 and 5 last six years, it adds up).
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are thinking about this backwards.  The reason he was hired is to help decrease the call and day to day workload.  Taking 3 months off completely defeats that purpose.  The immature thing to do is whine about how shitty your life because you're having to work too much but not doing anything to actually change it.  The group does precisely that, change it, so they have another person to help out, and then Dr. Shit-for-brains wants to take 3 months off for paternity leave.  That's not how you win friends and influence people.

Presuming this is like most first jobs out of residency, he is salaried.  He is not a partner.  If he has a 2-year contract then at the end of the 2 years they will decide what to do with him.  If someone has a poor work ethic, he's out.  This is a no-brainer.  Our multi-specialty group has decided not to give partnership to people after 2 years because it just wasn't working out.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<SNIP>

+1

No flame to Justa_TXguy, but this watering down of medicine is bad for the patient.  It would be wonderful if no emergencies happened after hours but it doesn't work that way.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
son is finishing a GI fellowship, will start in a practice this summer(salary)...he and his wife are very aware that partnership will depend on work ethic and how he fits in...she is already practicing in another specialty...if "they" get pregnant, she will be the one on leave...both totally agree this is the right way to go...not a 9-5 "job"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You are thinking about this backwards.  The reason he was hired is to help decrease the call and day to day workload.  Taking 3 months off completely defeats that purpose.  The immature thing to do is whine about how shitty your life because you're having to work too much but not doing anything to actually change it.  The group does precisely that, change it, so they have another person to help out, and then Dr. Shit-for-brains wants to take 3 months off for paternity leave.  That's not how you win friends and influence people.
Presuming this is like most first jobs out of residency, he is salaried.  He is not a partner.  If he has a 2-year contract then at the end of the 2 years they will decide what to do with him.  If someone has a poor work ethic, he's out.  This is a no-brainer.  Our multi-specialty group has decided not to give partnership to people after 2 years because it just wasn't working out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is just how my group works too. Our goal is for everyone to be on partnership track. But with a few new docs, you can see that it just doesn't seem likely. Even though we have a non-compete, we usually waive it and part ways. If they set up shop down the street, so be it.

I have five kids. First two during med school. One in residency. Two while in practice. I think I've taken a total of 10 days off. Granted, my Mom and MIL both live moderately close and came to help out.

But if I don't work, I don't get paid. That's the deal. I get it, and my wife gets it.

If you're a new hire and on salary, you'd better prove to the rest of us that you can carry your weight and cover your expenses. Both groups I worked with were private and physician owned. You eat what you kill, or you don't eat.

Don't like it? Go work for the University. Write grants and be a "thought leader" (also known as a pharma whore).

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I took a month and a half off when my wife had our first kid.

But, she lost over half of the blood in her body, nearly died, had emergency surgery, etc..  They gave her one measly unit of blood, but that barely brought her up to "half full".  It was a good three weeks of eating and iron supplements before she could even stand up without passing out.  So I stayed home and took care of both kid and wife.  Although I did do SOME work from home, taking care of really critical stuff.

That being said, taking vacations seems to be a privilege that some doctors really enjoy.  I know several that like to take them very often, and often on very short notice.  I guess it all depends on what kind of doc you are talking about.

Taking the leave may not have won him any friends at work, but on his death bed, I'll bet he doesn't say "Man, I wish I would have made more friends at work."  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
thats actually not really the issue so much. Since hes now a member of the group (14 months im assuming) he is directly fucking every single other doc over hard.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top