Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 2:01:30 AM EDT
As I recall, the Europeans knew about the overland trade route to India and the eastern water route around the tip of Africa, but Old Chris was seeking a western water route to India

When he landed at some Caribbean Island, he thought he was in India; so he called the people "Indians".

Wikipedia says that  he planned to land in Japan in route to  the East Indies during his first voyage in 1492, but instead he landed at what is now the island of Haiti and Dominican Republic. Never admitting that he had reached a continent previously unknown to Europeans, rather than the East Indies he had set out for, Columbus called the inhabitants of the lands he visited indios (Spanish for "Indians").

Here's my question: When he didn't find any Indian spices and other trade goods, shouldn't he have gotten suspicious that it was not India and, therefore, the people were not Indians?

My second question: Why did the rest of Europe continue to call the newly found folks "Indians" when they eventually knew danged well that the new world inhabitants were not Indians? I can understand Chris calling them Indians initially, but why did the incorrect name stick?

I guess they had to call them something, but seems that a lots of confusion could have been avoided by calling the inhabitants something other than Indians.

Of course, we would now have a bunch of sports teams called something other than Indians . . . and the controversy about what to call them would be about whatever their name was.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Hind sight is 50/50.  Especially in your case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Columbus was not the first. His journals say that he saw many American native artifacts in Guinea, he knew there was something west and not India

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why did the rest of Europe continue to call the newly found folks "Indians" when they eventually knew danged well that the new world inhabitants were not Indians?
View Quote

Because they didn't give a shit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did the rest of Europe continue to call the newly found folks "Indians" when they eventually knew danged well that the new world inhabitants were not Indians?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:27:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep as soon as this comes in men loose all subtlety

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.worldreviewer.com/_images/cd/e2/cde219031c3f9b2ebd3d89d0cf8538d0/pre-columbian-gold-m-440x298.jpg

By the time he made his last trips, I'm pretty sure he knew he wasn't in india
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.worldreviewer.com/_images/cd/e2/cde219031c3f9b2ebd3d89d0cf8538d0/pre-columbian-gold-m-440x298.jpg

Yep, fuck spices.
We got
Land
Gold
Pussy
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]

By the time he made his last trips, I'm pretty sure he knew he wasn't in india
View Quote

Went to his grave believing that he had discovered a new route to Asia.   Once they saw a few gold artifacts, they were hooked on the place.   Columbus actually kept two logs of his first voyage.  A public one in which he estimated progress made that day and a private one in which was he recorded what he believe to be how far he really had gone.   As there was no way to measure latitude at sea at the time, all distances were estimated.  

In his public log he deliberately understated the distance they had gone so the sailors would not get to nervous at being so far from land.   It turns out that his public ships log was actually much more accurate than what his private log was.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, I take it you do not celebrate Enslavement of the New World Day in October with the rest of us?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Columbus was not the first. His journals say that he saw many American native artifacts in Guinea, he knew there was something west and not India

View Quote

Not to mention those Scandinavian settlements in Newfoundland...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:27:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, fuck spices.
We got
Land
Gold
Pussy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, fuck spices.
We got
Land
Gold
Pussy

And syphilis, don't forget syphilis.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, I take it you do not celebrate Enslavement of the New World Day in October with the rest of us?
View Quote

Halloween?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And syphilis, don't forget syphilis.
View Quote

Yeah, while there is still some controversy, it is a New World disease.  That and tobacco really fucked the Old World.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Small pox for the old world win!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hind sight is 50/50.  Especially in your case.
View Quote

That's one sneaky pun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Egyptian mummies with traces of cocaine and other New World-only plant and spices in their wraps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Columbus wasnt politically correct.  Neither were settlers, explorers or any civilization builders for that matter.

Besides, they called thme savages.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Think about the size of the southern pacific, 1000's of islands and uncontacted people. Add to that the amount of time it took to sail anywhere. When he landed, I'm sure he explored and kept trying to figure out where in the indies he had landed. Then went back to Spain.. How many more trips did he get in before he was too old? 3...7?

He probably had a good idea that he didn't make it but was probably too old by the time he came to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's face it, the "Indians" were an obsolete culture, living on borrowed time. If we hadn't "stolen" their land, then someone else would've.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm of the opinion that 'Indians' is an Anglicization of the Spanish word indigenos, literally 'indigenous ones'.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#22]
my contribution:

In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
he sailed so fast he skinned his ass
in 1492.

thank you, thank you very much.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quite honestly I think it would have been cool to have lived in a time where knowledge of such things like North America was non existent...then to have someone go out and "discover it".  I mean, like what if during the search of the stupid fucking plane they found an entire island in the Indian or Pacific Ocean...and it was inhabited by people we all never knew about...

I guess it's all relative though.  In 400 years the peope of 2414 will look back on us and be like "Jeez...they did know about the aliens of Mars?  Or the blah blah solar system that had life?  Crazy being in the dark like that".

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm of the opinion that 'Indians' is an Anglicization of the Spanish word indigenos, literally 'indigenous ones'.
View Quote

Nope.  He called them "indios", as in literally, from India.  His diaries make that very clear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had read a while back there were even non native settlements coming from the Pacific side, maybe there were more
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wonder what North America would look like if those settlements had really taken off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Just to throw this out there...

I have a Betamax tape from a series titled Ten Who Dared. I have the Christopher Columbus episode. Does anyone else remember this series?

CSB

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I always wonder what North America would look like if those settlements had really taken off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always felt the Portuguese sailors who were doing business in Guinea knew about that part of the New World, Colombo had sailed to Guinea and other countries with Portuguese sailors. He flew the Spanish flag for the Royalty and I look at it as a claim stake. He later got into a tiff with them because he wanted 10 points on everything.

I actually believe the "route to India" ploy was an excuse for Spain to lay claim to that part
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always felt the Portuguese sailors who were doing business in Guinea knew about that part of the New World, Colombo had sailed to Guinea and other countries with Portuguese sailors. He flew the Spanish flag for the Royalty and I look at it as a claim stake. He later got into a tiff with them because he wanted 10 points on everything.

I actually believe the "route to India" ploy was an excuse for Spain to lay claim to that part
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just like to see the faces of British sailors if they encountered blonde-blue eyed viking warriors in the northeast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would just like to see the faces of British sailors if they encountered blonde-blue eyed viking warriors in the northeast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kennewick Man dated at 7300 BC was first classified as Caucasoid. After lawsuits they watered it down to "Chatters et al. conducted a graphic comparison, including size, of Kennewick Man to 18 modern populations and showed Kennewick Man was most closely related to the Ainu. However, when size was excluded as a factor, no association to any population was established.[6] Chatters said that anthropologist C. Loring Brace classified Ainu and Polynesians as a single craniofacial Jomon-Pacific cluster and Chatters said "Polynesians have craniofacial similarities to Asian, Australian and European peoples".
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Kennewick man must have been Italian, Mussolini and jimmy Durante would have said he had a nasabeak
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top