BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2014 10:38:40 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeremy Clarkson is a wonderful narrator, and this is a wonderful documentary. Thanks for posting this, DoubleARon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Pure Balls of Steel.

Navigating into a port in a giant floating bomb past all the defenses & guns.

One shell major hit and KA-BOOMMM!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I watched that a few months back.  Some serious balls of steel.  Thanks for the reminder, OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]

These two deserve honorable mention when talking of "great raids."

Raid on Entebbe (rescue of Israeli hostages in Uganda in the 1970's)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebbe
Raid on Eben Emael (technically not a "raid" in the pure doctrinal sense of the word, but has repeatedly been referred to as one).

Small contingent of German paratroopers take out the most formidable defensive fortress in Europe at the beginning of WWII.

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/articles/fortebenemael.aspx
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagged for later.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have mixed feelings about the St. Nazaire raid. If a German capitol ship used that drydock, she'd be a sitting duck for the RAF.  Isn't that a good thing?

For failed raids, goggle Task Force Baum.  It was a raid on a PoW camp to free Patton's son-in-law.  It Baumed-Out.  

The rescue of Mussolini was spectacular, but credit went to Skorzeny instead of the Luftwaffe that planned and carried it out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What most people don't understand is that the raid on St Nazaire was inspired by another raid that happened in World War One.

The Raid on Zeebrugge.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#11]
AMAZING.  Great story, great narration, just wonderful.

Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jeremy Clarkson is a wonderful narrator, and this is a wonderful documentary. Thanks for posting this, DoubleARon.
View Quote

I agree. He wrote it too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#13]
"who dares, wins" indeed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell of a story and every second of it was interesting
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Those guys probably need wheelbarrows to haul their enormous balls around...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#17]
KMS Tirpitz was sunk by Tallboy bombs.

Battleship Arizona was hit and destroyed by armor piercing bombs dropped from 3,000 meters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Very cool, i enjoy his narrations better than morgan freemans.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
That was awe inspiring. My favorite part I think was at the end when the old man said "If the time came, would the youth of today do what we did? Of course they would."
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#20]
More from Clarkson.  Very good documentaries

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting this.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Good show.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#23]
This was worth blowing off working on my thesis
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Said the bombers of the day couldn't hit the broadside of a barn ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have mixed feelings about the St. Nazaire raid. If a German capitol ship used that drydock, she'd be a sitting duck for the RAF.  Isn't that a good thing?

For failed raids, goggle Task Force Baum.  It was a raid on a PoW camp to free Patton's son-in-law.  It Baumed-Out.  

The rescue of Mussolini was spectacular, but credit went to Skorzeny instead of the Luftwaffe that planned and carried it out.

The british bombers couldnt  .  

Norden site for the win.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone that's popped Piers Morgan is fine by me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#27]

WOW... His Father in Law earned the VC?  I guess he deserves some of the pretentionism.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting guy to listen to,  mostly.  Has the usual English predilection for throwing out half-witted jabs at the US at every opportunity, and not always in a good-natured way.

Hard to respect such a flag-waving war hawk when he never wore a uniform.  A blow-hard, no?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You aren't very familiar with bombing accuracy back in World War II are you?  Back then they had to send literally hundreds of aircraft hoping that maybe 5% to 10% of the bombs would fall on the target.  With this raid there was very little collateral damage.  Which is ALWAYS a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
KMS Tirpitz was sunk by Tallboy bombs.
View Quote

LATE in the war by a very specialized and extremely skilled bomber crews, PLUS the Tallboy bombs weren't available at the time.

Oh, yeah: The same squadron (617) that sank the Tirpitz also busted the Ruhr Dams, also Later in the war.
Saint Nazaire happened in 1942, the dams were destroyed in 1943 and the Tirpitz was sunk in 1944.  You're asking for something that hadn't been invented yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Norden site for the win.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Norden site for the win.

The Norden could hit the barn, Period.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah. The Norden wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
they werent ever going to hit anything in the dock..  too well defended for low altitude attacks and bomb sites sucked so you couldnt hit anything from high up.  next best thing was to destroy the drydock to keep the larger german ships from being in the area.  and it worked ;)

sometimes, its simply better to keep the enemy away than to kill the enemy

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

it was MUCH better than the previous "Guess and Press" method, but yeah, it wasnt what could be considered "Precision" by modern standards... "Precision" was keeping the bomb strings in one county, and hoping 5-10% of the ordnance managed to actually hit the intended target
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Interesting guy to listen to,  mostly.  Has the usual English predilection for throwing out half-witted jabs at the US at every opportunity, and not always in a good-natured way.

Hard to respect such a flag-waving war hawk when he never wore a uniform.  A blow-hard, no?
View Quote

Western European militaries today lack a breed of man they had in spades in the past.

The true believer.

It's tough believing in a country that's been stolen from you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

it was MUCH better than the previous "Guess and Press" method, but yeah, it wasnt what could be considered "Precision" by modern standards... "Precision" was keeping the bomb strings in one county, and hoping 5-10% of the ordnance managed to actually hit the intended target
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were efforts at improving bombing accuracy on both sides.

US WWII smart bomb, the AZON

Nazi WWII smart bombs
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, but I can do without the Pop Music.

This is one of the best stories I've Never heard before and I'm actually a bit angry about that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is one of the best stories I've Never heard before and I'm actually a bit angry about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could care less.
I thought the piece was extremely well done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Tagged for later.
View Quote
this

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Could care less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could care less.

Just in case we have a misunderstanding I mean that I'm angry I had never heard this story before.

The Pop music thing is just a preference.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for sharing OP! Those blokes were some mean motherfuckers...

And I do quite enjoy the dry British sense of humor. "I knew I'd have to escape, but I didn't feel up to it at the moment." I should think not, with at least one GSW and a broken arm!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
wtf was that admiral thinking

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#47]

"Please don't shout, just get on with it."

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've read about that, FUBAR does not even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
one of the stupidest missions ever conducted.

To quote the movie Patton, "A waste of fine infantry"

Churchill loved his stupid diversions.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top