Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT

http://www.guns.com/2014/04/17/iowa-father-asked-leave-gun-range-discovers-law-doesnt-allow-children-14-use-handgun-video/

One Iowa father is speaking out against a state gun law after he and his daughter were asked to leave a gun range this past weekend because his daughter was too young to use a handgun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  My range is exempt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That's retarded. We don't allow children under 14 to OC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
NY is even nuttier, an unlicensed adult isn't even allowed to touch a handgun outside an approved pistol class.

If the pistol is empty it's just a misdemeanor, if it is loaded it's a felony.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]

I like this quote...

Kathleen Adams, a psychiatric nurse who specializes in working with children and teens, says it’s not about target practicing or hunting and the idea of teaching youngsters to use a handgun is sending the wrong message.

“We should teach them ways to solve conflicts that don’t involve guns,” Adams said. “And it’s really important for kids to have confidence that their world is safe and that the adults in their world are going to keep them safe.”
View Quote

So teaching a kid how to shoot equates to teaching them to use guns to solve conflicts.  

That tells me more about the mentality of the person making the observation than of the parent teaching their kid how to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was ready to raise the , but The Iowa Code really says that...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

724.22  Persons under twenty-one — sale, loan, gift, making available — possession.

1.  Except as provided in subsection 3, a person who sells, loans, gives, or makes available a rifle or shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun to a minor commits a serious misdemeanor for a first offense and a class “D” felony for second and subsequent offenses.

2.  Except as provided in subsections 4 and 5, a person who sells, loans, gives, or makes available a pistol or revolver or ammunition for a pistol or revolver to a person below the age of twenty-one commits a serious misdemeanor for a first offense and a class “D” felony for second and subsequent offenses.

3.  A parent, guardian, spouse who is eighteen years of age or older, or another with the express consent of the minor’s parent or guardian or spouse who is eighteen years of age or older may allow a minor to possess a rifle or shotgun or the ammunition therefor which may be lawfully used.

4.  A person eighteen, nineteen, or twenty years of age may possess a firearm and the ammunition therefor while on military duty or while a peace officer, security guard or correctional officer, when such duty requires the possession of such a weapon or while the person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an instructor who is twenty-one years of age or older.

5.  A parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, of a person fourteen years of age but less than twenty-one may allow the person to possess a pistol or revolver or the ammunition therefor for any lawful purpose while under the direct supervision of the parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, or while the person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an instructor twenty-one years of age or older, with the consent of such parent, guardian or spouse.

6.  For the purposes of this section, caliber .22 rimfire ammunition shall be deemed to be rifle ammunition.

7. It shall be unlawful for any person to store or leave a loaded firearm which is not secured by a trigger lock mechanism, placed in a securely locked box or container, or placed in some other location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure from a minor under the age of fourteen years, if such person knows or has reason to believe that a minor under the age of fourteen years is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, the minor lawfully gains access to the firearm without the consent of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, and the minor exhibits the firearm in a public place in an unlawful manner, or uses the firearm unlawfully to cause injury or death to a person.  This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.  A violation of this subsection is punishable as a serious misdemeanor.

Who the hell writes these laws? What kind of idiot puts a trigger lock on a loaded firearm. Somebody should hand whoever wrote this a loaded glock, a trigger lock and tell them to lock it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who the hell writes these laws? What kind of idiot puts a trigger lock on a loaded firearm. Somebody should hand whoever wrote this a loaded glock, a trigger lock and tell them to lock it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

724.22  Persons under twenty-one — sale, loan, gift, making available — possession.

1.  Except as provided in subsection 3, a person who sells, loans, gives, or makes available a rifle or shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun to a minor commits a serious misdemeanor for a first offense and a class “D” felony for second and subsequent offenses.

2.  Except as provided in subsections 4 and 5, a person who sells, loans, gives, or makes available a pistol or revolver or ammunition for a pistol or revolver to a person below the age of twenty-one commits a serious misdemeanor for a first offense and a class “D” felony for second and subsequent offenses.

3.  A parent, guardian, spouse who is eighteen years of age or older, or another with the express consent of the minor’s parent or guardian or spouse who is eighteen years of age or older may allow a minor to possess a rifle or shotgun or the ammunition therefor which may be lawfully used.

4.  A person eighteen, nineteen, or twenty years of age may possess a firearm and the ammunition therefor while on military duty or while a peace officer, security guard or correctional officer, when such duty requires the possession of such a weapon or while the person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an instructor who is twenty-one years of age or older.

5.  A parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, of a person fourteen years of age but less than twenty-one may allow the person to possess a pistol or revolver or the ammunition therefor for any lawful purpose while under the direct supervision of the parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty-one years of age or older, or while the person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an instructor twenty-one years of age or older, with the consent of such parent, guardian or spouse.

6.  For the purposes of this section, caliber .22 rimfire ammunition shall be deemed to be rifle ammunition.

7. It shall be unlawful for any person to store or leave a loaded firearm which is not secured by a trigger lock mechanism, placed in a securely locked box or container, or placed in some other location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure from a minor under the age of fourteen years, if such person knows or has reason to believe that a minor under the age of fourteen years is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, the minor lawfully gains access to the firearm without the consent of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, and the minor exhibits the firearm in a public place in an unlawful manner, or uses the firearm unlawfully to cause injury or death to a person.  This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.  A violation of this subsection is punishable as a serious misdemeanor.

People who don't know anything about guns.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a great excuse to totally re-write the laws once the absurdity of this is brought up to some gun friendly politicians.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People who don't know anything about hate guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who don't know anything about hate guns.

Fixed it for you.  Iowa sucks for gun laws Des Moines and Quad Cities are Chicago lite politically.  Current head of Senats is preventing silencers from being legalized in fact Sen Hogg has said NO gun bills will come to the floor, even though the House passed silencers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
my boy loves his Buckmark, Sig and SW66.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
We I guess its time to introduce his kids to another American pass time drinking, which is perfectly legal as long as you are at home in the presence of a parent? What a stupid law what kind of idiot passed such a bullshit law?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, and a bill was brought up this year to fix this nonsense and they fuckin killed it.   November can't come fast enough. .. we're working to get this changed but we gotta deal with the  liberal half brains in the cities.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

7.  It shall be unlawful for any person to store or leave a loaded firearm which is not secured by a trigger lock mechanism, placed in a securely locked box or container, or placed in some other location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure from a minor under the age of fourteen years, if such person knows or has reason to believe that a minor under the age of fourteen years is likely to gain access to the firearm without tphe lawful permission of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, the minor lawfully gains access to the firearm without the consent of the minor’s parent, guardian, or person having charge of the minor, and the minor exhibits the firearm in a public place in an unlawful manner, or uses the firearm unlawfully to cause injury or death to a person.  This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.  A violation of this subsection is punishable as a serious misdemeanor.

Sorry....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]
That's some horseshit. My dad taught me how to shoot when I was 8.

Parents should be allowed to teach their kids at their own discretion in any field. Firearms, math, horticulture, etc.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I like this quote...
So teaching a kid how to shoot equates to teaching them to use guns to solve conflicts.  

That tells me more about the mentality of the person making the observation than of the parent teaching their kid how to shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this quote...

Kathleen Adams, a psychiatric nurse who specializes in working with children and teens, says it’s not about target practicing or hunting and the idea of teaching youngsters to use a handgun is sending the wrong message.

"We should teach them ways to solve conflicts that don’t involve guns,” Adams said. "And it’s really important for kids to have confidence that their world is safe and that the adults in their world are going to keep them safe.”

wow.....

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Obama carried Iowa, twice.  It's not too hard to imagine they'd have some bull shit statute like that on the books.

For Iowa to be such a rural, agriculture based state, I really can't understand the people there at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#22]
damn.   I was shooting 4-position smallbore in the third grade. In Georgia...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I.O.W.A.    
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I like this quote...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this quote...

“We should teach them ways to solve conflicts that don’t involve guns,” Adams said. “And it’s really important for kids to have confidence that their world is safe and that the adults in their world are going to keep them safe.”

Yeah, Miss Adams doesn't know what the fuck she is talking about. Just another Progressive Liberal with an opinion. As someone who has mentored kids in learning how to handle firearms safely, I will say the truth is that kids who are properly trained and positively exposed to firearms learn respect for such things, become responsible and self-confident. When my Son started learning how to drive he computed the energy of a 2000# car traveling just 5mph and compared it to being hit by thousands of rounds of .38spl. and was like He has also developed the self-confidence to do what he knows is right not just what other people think is cool.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NY is even nuttier, an unlicensed adult isn't even allowed to touch a handgun outside an approved pistol class.

View Quote

Apparently, human nature and the laws of physics make some radical changes every time a state's borders are crossed...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Apparently, human nature and the laws of physics make some radical changes every time a state's borders are crossed...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone who is against OC believes that.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I like this quote...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this quote...

"We should teach them ways to solve conflicts that don’t involve guns,” Adams said. "And it’s really important for kids to have confidence that their world is safe and that the adults in their world are going to keep them safe.”

That quote sums up the feelings from anti-gun folks pretty well...

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I like this quote...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this quote...

Kathleen Adams most likely lived a very sheltered life and at no time during her life had it threatened.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#31]
They would probably have a stroke watching my 11 year old son burn down a USPSA stage with his m&p pro!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I like this quote...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like this quote...

Fuck Kathleen Adams and anyone that thinks like her

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have always though the same thing.

Farm subsidies do not explain it either, as they tend to vote conservative as well.

The only thing I can come up with is the  couple of cities screwing the whole state (as usual).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obama carried Iowa, twice.  It's not too hard to imagine they'd have some bull shit statute like that on the books.

For Iowa to be such a rural, agriculture based state, I really can't understand the people there at all.

Farm subsidies do not explain it either, as they tend to vote conservative as well.

The only thing I can come up with is the  couple of cities screwing the whole state (as usual).

Ding ding ding.  The majority of the state is conservative as far as land area. The cities fuck us.  Lord it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ding ding ding.  The majority of the state is conservative as far as land area. The cities fuck us.  Lord it pisses me off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's always the cities that fuck up states, encircle the cities

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear everyone on the cities being a problem, however there has to be a large percent of the rural vote going for Obama in the last two presidential elections, here is why...

Iowa has a little over 3 million in total population, the five largest cities in Iowa have less than 600,000 people living in them according to 2012 data.  Even assuming 100% of the urban vote went for Obama (we all know this is not possible) they'd still have to have a lot of Democrat votes from the sticks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Why does the range feel like it is their job to enforce the law?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top