Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

7 years is a long time to not notice a machine gun laying around your house Missing from a fucking police department.
View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If that guy had a large safe with other AR-15 type guns and it was in the back I can certainly understand how he may have forgotten about it.  The back of my safe hasn't seen light in 15 years and I bet if I go looking that there is something I forgot about.  Finding a forgotten gun happened to me recently when I came across a CZ-52 I got about 20 years ago that I had totally forgotten about.  

Though it is possible he forgot about it, I don't think it is all that probable as forgetting what I own is different that forgetting what was loaned to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In his own home.  In the deputy's home, in his personal gun safe.

D'oh.  
View Quote

Fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, you are issued equipment by your employer. Your employer forgets who has the equipment and files a report. You here about missing equipment and realize your employer was talking about what they issued you. You really believe that a criminal case would be brought forward?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

However, that wouldn't stop the prosecutor if the deputy was just a regular Joe.

So, you are issued equipment by your employer. Your employer forgets who has the equipment and files a report. You here about missing equipment and realize your employer was talking about what they issued you. You really believe that a criminal case would be brought forward?

Context, context.  I agreed in my post there's no way the deputy will be prosecuted.

However, if the M-16 had been found in the safe of a non-LEO who hadn't been issued the rifle -- say, he found it at a range, took it home for safekeeping and then came forward when he realized who the rifle belonged to -- then there's no doubt in my mind the prosecutor would throw the book at him pour encourager les autres.

ETA:  Pour encourager les autres = French for "to encourage (or teach) others" = make an example of him.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you guys read the article?

1. Guy borrows rifle from department.
2. Guy puts it in his safe
3. Guy deploys to AFG twice in looks like 4 years totaling 2.5 years deployed.
4. While he is deployed, Dept notices gun is missing, looks for it. Guy never knows about it, since he's overseas.
5. When guy comes home, sees the missing rifle story on the news and calls his supervisor and says he has one. And it's it.

Department fucked up by not knowing who they gave the rifle to obviously, but I don't see the outcry.
View Quote

I didnt know it was kosher for a PD to lend out NFA rifles for over night stays in
the officers home.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Must be nice to live by a separate set of standards..
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didnt know it was kosher for a PD to lend out NFA rifles for over night stays in
the officers home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. While he is deployed, Dept notices gun is missing, looks for it. Guy never knows about it, since he's overseas.
5. When guy comes home, sees the missing rifle story on the news and calls his supervisor and says he has one. And it's it.

Department fucked up by not knowing who they gave the rifle to obviously, but I don't see the outcry.

the officers home.

Why not?  Do you think that cops turn in all issued gear every day before heading home

Totally normal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why not?  Do you think that cops turn in all issued gear every day before heading home

Totally normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

That doesn't sit well with me.

If an average citizen cannot be trusted with a post 1986 MG, why should we trust cops with them?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At $25,000 and up?  Yeah, right.
View Quote

25k? For a likely non transferable? I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Totally normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

A fucking radio, holster or lap top is quite different from a machine gun...whether PD owned
or Fed.gov loaned.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

the officers home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

I don't have an issue with that at all.

I do have an issue with someone keeping it for 7 years and only turning it in when the SHTF about where the hell it is. [and I don't place all the blame on him for that because if that is how pathetically  they are controlled in a PD, they all need to be removed and returned]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do have an issue with someone keeping it for 7 years and only turning it in when the SHTF about where the hell it is. [and I don't place all the blame on him for that because if that is how pathetically they are controlled in a PD, they all need to be removed and returned]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

I do have an issue with someone keeping it for 7 years and only turning it in when the SHTF about where the hell it is. [and I don't place all the blame on him for that because if that is how pathetically they are controlled in a PD, they all need to be removed and returned]

Wow. Membership DOES have it privileges.  At the minimum, the thief, ooops, I mean "borrower"
should be busted in rank along with the guy who signed off on the "loan".  In reality, there should be
some newly vacated positions in the local PD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A fucking radio, holster or lap top is quite different from a machine gun...whether PD owned
or Fed.gov loaned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

or Fed.gov loaned.

Yeah, the radio cost 4k and I can get a new Colt M4 for about 600 bucks.

Guns are tools.  Tools get used and sometimes damaged or lost.  They are not magical or special.  Accountability is important, but only as far as it doesn't interfere with utility.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow. Membership DOES have it privileges.  At the minimum, the thief, ooops, I mean "borrower"
should be busted in rank along with the guy who signed off on the "loan".  In reality, there should be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Issued, not borrowed.

He was deployed to Astan twice during that time...4 years with workups.  

Record keeping at the PD is the issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Issued, not borrowed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Issued, not borrowed.

Sorry, that shit doesn't get it.   They lock down an entire Army post for a missing
'16 and a CID investigation for a missing parachute.  If you are telling me that
an M16, an AR15 is the same as a radio...you're wrong.

Edie to add:

And his reason to "borrow" was?  And the reason for the inventory
boss to "issue" was?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Guns are tools.  Tools get used and sometimes damaged or lost.  They are not magical or special.  Accountability is important, but only as far as it doesn't interfere with utility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

or Fed.gov loaned.

Really?

I didn't know non-transferables were that cheap for LEA's.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I have forgotten about guns in my safe on more than one occasion.  I can see how he could do this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At $25,000 and up?  Yeah, right.

Unless you are talking about the retainer you would have to pay your attorney when you got caught with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Must be nice.  I spent half the day yesterday looking through fiche for a report.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a deputy who had an dept-owned M16 in his safe. The rifle hadn't seen the inside of a cruiser or the arms room for a very long time, and the records for it were probably on microfiche by then.

I bet the guys in that department under age 30 have never even touched a microfiche.

Ah, the good old days

I haven't seen microfiche since the early 90's, and haven't used one since the 80's.
Must be nice.  I spent half the day yesterday looking through fiche for a report.  

"Hey, I can't find the search button or magnifying glass icon on this thing. How am I supposed to get results?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If that guy had a large safe with other AR-15 type guns and it was in the back I can certainly understand how he may have forgotten about it.  The back of my safe hasn't seen light in 15 years and I bet if I go looking that there is something I forgot about.  Finding a forgotten gun happened to me recently when I came across a CZ-52 I got about 20 years ago that I had totally forgotten about.  

Though it is possible he forgot about it, I don't think it is all that probable as forgetting what I own is different that forgetting what a machine gun was loaned to me.
View Quote

fixed
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If an average citizen cannot be trusted with a post 1986 MG, why should we trust cops with them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

Why not?  I've known a guy in the Army that had a M16 he kept at home.  Before anyone raises the BS flag, it was an unusual case.  He was on a marksmanship team and had the paperwork authorizing it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ah, the good old days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew a deputy who had an dept-owned M16 in his safe. The rifle hadn't seen the inside of a cruiser or the arms room for a very long time, and the records for it were probably on microfiche by then.

I bet the guys in that department under age 30 have never even touched a microfiche.

Ah, the good old days

I was thinking the same thing but reference "lost" firearms.  Back in the mid-80's one of the "benefits" for the COARNG shooting team was lose your m14, mags, hard case, sling and ammo and maybe a spotting scope, get billed a whopping $70 conveniently deducted from your drill checks.  IIRC they quit letting members be assigned shit to take home around 1986, disbanded the team a few years later.  When they restarted it in the mid-90's I looked into it but fuck that shit.  Drive 6 hours one way to Denver once a week to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Exactly and if you didn't currently have one and you had once had one, you would probably think about the one you had at least a few times over the years? And maybe wished you still had it?

It seems a little unusual that he didn't think about it in the context of officers going on calls of a man with a gun, or every time a M16 was mentioned or when he saw one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is because I took it with me on patrol.

Exactly and if you didn't currently have one and you had once had one, you would probably think about the one you had at least a few times over the years? And maybe wished you still had it?

It seems a little unusual that he didn't think about it in the context of officers going on calls of a man with a gun, or every time a M16 was mentioned or when he saw one.

maybe he started carrying an m-4 or something closer to what worked for him on deployment...maybe rifles aren't authorized for general patrol use.  the linked article says he borrowed it for a swat class, then got orders to deploy and that no one had ever asked him about the rifle after the audit...as far as he knows, it's accounted for.  when somebody issues you a gun, it's pretty reasonable to expect that their paper trail will show where it is...issued to you.  whoever was in charge of inventory should have already had that information.  it was shoddy record keeping by the office, not an attempt to steal a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why not?  I've known a guy in the Army that had a M16 he kept at home.  Before anyone raises the BS flag, it was an unusual case.  He was on a marksmanship team and had the paperwork authorizing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

I assume the Army had the other part of that paperwork, or something with his signature acknowledging receipt of the gun?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I know. That is why I started thinking about this. He was missing an important tool and even if he wasn't authorized to carry it, it has to have wished he had it at least once and wonder where that awesome tool was at?
View Quote

Think about it though. If it is a DRMO gun, it is an old beater. It isn't is typical SWAT weapon. He would likely have other weapons he carries.

I have one I use for training classes and that is it. I consider it a beater and one I don't care if a student beats it around. If theirs breaks and they need a loaner, there it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know. That is why I started thinking about this. He was missing an important tool and even if he wasn't authorized to carry it, it has to have wished he had it at least once and wonder where that awesome tool was at?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is because I took it with me on patrol.

He did two tours in the sandbox and is a deputy, guns are tools.

Depends, I took a department 870 to a class and got told to hang on to it for training purposes (instructor but don't carry a shotgun at work.).  It sat in my safe and I rarely used it (I shoot long gun lefty so prefer my Mossberg.).  About a year later some one was bitching they didn't have a shotgun to issue to a new patrolman.  I said I can bring the one I got at home in.  Pretty much everyone forgot I had it (including me thing hadn't been out of the safe in months).
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Out M16A1's were in like new condition.
View Quote

We weren't that lucky.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it though. If it is a DRMO gun, it is an old beater. It isn't is typical SWAT weapon. He would likely have other weapons he carries.

I have one I use for training classes and that is it. I consider it a beater and one I don't care if a student beats it around. If theirs breaks and they need a loaner, there it is.

the first batch they got locally were too.  looked like they'd been shipped from the factory but had 1975 iirc dates written on the wrapping paper
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
so when does the ATF step in and throw the guy in PMITA prison for a decade?

when does he get fired for stealing a firearm?

View Quote

Inquiring minds want to know...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the officers home.

Totally normal.

I had a National Match M14 for a short period of time, until the Army increased the paperwork hassles for government owned rifles issued through state associations and the folks running the Georgia state association decided it was too much hassle to keep them.  Was also shortly before the Army started reissuing M14's as distinguished marksmen rifles until they could get some dedicated DMR AR configurations.  I got it with two magazines and a sling, IIRC, don't remember what paperwork I had to prove it was legal for me to have, other than a property book receipt showing what I'd received.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:32:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Of which he more than likely burned a few mags in fullauto put it up and forgot about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An important tool? Given the choice of full size M16A1, no optics, lights, rail and good sling system vs SBR with an Aimpoint pro, light and single point sling, I take SBR.

I'm assuming training is with what he used?

Of which he more than likely burned a few mags in fullauto put it up and forgot about it.

..or hoped it was forgot about anyway.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What makes it any more bad than if he had misplaced a AR 15?

Your all looking at this wrong, some of you are acting as if that's some kinda fucking evil gun than need's to have a qualified person to have... like a gun hating dem.

What makes it any more bad than if he had misplaced a AR 15?

View Quote

the ATF does...

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Guns are tools.  Tools get used and sometimes damaged or lost. They are not magical or special.  Accountability is important, but only as far as it doesn't interfere with utility.
View Quote

Then why do I have to get a background check to buy one?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guns are tools.  Tools get used and sometimes damaged or lost. They are not magical or special.  Accountability is important, but only as far as it doesn't interfere with utility.

To justify the tax.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
when they check it the bore will be shot out ...... and that he had been ordering large amounts of ammo over the internet
View Quote

If they didn't know where the gun was, I doubt he had to "buy" any plinking ammo.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top