BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet he'll do better than most of the kids I knew in College.  

Good for him.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Waiting on the first Downs syndrom person to be elected President of the United States.

We're all about first's now.
View Quote

Since Biden is only one heartbeat away this wouldn't be that big of achievement.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My point is, "College" implies some kind of higher learning. If mentally challenged people can earn "college" degrees, then it really isn't college anymore. It's become something else.

View Quote

Day care for rich young adults?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll back the O.P. on this despite the touchy feely crowd.

If he can do the coursework in the same curriculum, then good for him. If the college creates a special curriculum for him and similar students, then I say he has no business being there.

College has been dumbed-down enough in the name of racial, gender and economic equality.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
What, was the police academy full?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How does this possibly invalidate someone's degree at a university? It's a program designed for special needs kids so they can learn proper skills to integrate better into the workforce.  They aren't graduating with a engineering or medical degree now.  There's no dumbing down of anything.  I guess some here didn't bother to read the info in the link.
View Quote

Probably because a lot of people, including ones on this site, that have college degrees are scared that this kid will actually apply himself and do better than they did.  They all see a kid that is happy with what he has.  The bitter sad people have to make fun of him to try and validate their own self worth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's kinda like this, and there is nothing nefarious afoot - only good, decent intentions. Don't make it into something it's not. Just appreciate it for what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hV5fTUoXc
View Quote

Awesome.  

Same goes for the OP story.  

Just as the caliber of a man can be discerned by how he treats those who can do nothing for him....I think the same goes, maybe twice as much, for how someone treats disabled persons.  Having a handicapped person in my family who I am very close to has enriched my life in many ways.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Probably because a lot of people, including ones on this site, that have college degrees are scared that this kid will actually apply himself and do better than they did.  They all see a kid that is happy with what he has.  The bitter sad people have to make fun of him to try and validate their own self worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this possibly invalidate someone's degree at a university? It's a program designed for special needs kids so they can learn proper skills to integrate better into the workforce.  They aren't graduating with a engineering or medical degree now.  There's no dumbing down of anything.  I guess some here didn't bother to read the info in the link.

13er has a good back hand.

I like him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I am always amused at the "devaluing my degree" crowd.

After your first or second job your degree doesn't matter, it is the experience and skills you learned while working that matter.  Furthermore the elitist attitude of requiring a degree was the major driver in dumbing down education.  Employers wanted workers with college educations, as the job market grew either that requirement had to go or the supply of degreed job seekers had to rise. The education industry responded and loosened quality controls.

If you want intelligent workers give them an IQ test, if you want capable workers require experience or provide training. But assuming that just because someone has a degree is worth a fuck, is well, fucking dumb.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Cutting Edge Program

The Cutting-Edge is an individualized approach to education and inclusion in college for students with intellectual developmental disabilities. These are individuals who have either traditionally not been able to meet the standard admissions criteria for college, or require additional supports in order to be successful in college. Edgewood College is the first four-year college in Wisconsin to offer such a program to students who have intellectual developmental disabilities. From 2007-2012, the Cutting-Edge program has supported 32 students with the opportunity to attend college by attending required/undergraduate courses, practicums and internships, student housing, and learning with a peer mentors by engaging in student-life events, as well as pursuing community service.

Required courses for all Cutting-Edge students are the Resource Seminar, Safety in the Community, and Friends, Dating, and Your Place in a Diverse Community. As well as the required Cutting-Edge courses, students have the option to enroll in general Edgewood College courses.

Practicums and internships are focused to build skills that lead to employment. Participating students are supervised and receive immediate feedback on attendance, compliance with work procedures, customer service, and professionalism. To place a high importance on learning employment skills, the first internship students experience is the Sonderegger Coffee Cart.

Student Housing integrates a balance of academics, socialization, self-determination, and independent living. The Cutting-Edge program has mixture of on-campus and off-campus housing available. Each housing arrangement is supported by a housing peer mentor that facilitates the balance of independent living.

Peer Mentors are drawn from volunteers around numerous areas of the campus. The Special Education graduate students from 600 level courses serve as Study Skill Peer Mentors. These peer mentors meet weekly with Cutting-Edge students to assist with academic and social situations, including: help with coursework; problem-solving daily schedules and needs. Undergraduate students serve as In-Class Peer Mentors and Social Peer Mentors. This is an excellent way for the Cutting-Edge students to break into the social networks already on campus and in the community.

The Alumni of the Cutting-Edge has reached 35 students that have completed the program. Of the 35 alumni, 70% are employed since leaving Edgewood College and 40% are continuing to pursue higher education.

Tuition for the Cutting-Edge students will be the same as the Edgewood College undergraduate tuition. Candidates who are accepted into the Cutting-Edge program will submit a $2,000 deposit, which is credited toward tuition.
View Quote

As others have stated, this is a program to teach individuals with these types of disabilities how to interact in the real world, which is quite honestly, a great thing.  And if it also means they can get a suitable job and/or be able to live in the community independently, that's a GREAT thing.

It's not(or doesn't appear to be) regular courses.

Now, when I was in college, I, as a person with a disability, took the same courses as everyone else, the same tests, etc. I did get extended time on tests but don't have any accommodations of that kind in my current job or any other jobs I've had during college.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good for him.

It is a special program.  He will not get a "normal" degree.

But if he wants to work hard to be the best he can be, good for him.

View Quote

Gotta go with this.  I think Old_Painless got it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
<So was your post, that's why it was removed - T7>
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<Removed - T7>.
View Quote

Know how I know you didn't read the article or didn't read about what the program entails?

Edit-I'd rather have someone like the subject in this thread in college learning about life skills than someone who does nothing but party and slack off in college and then becomes a member of OWS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good for him.  It'll boost his self esteem.
View Quote

This.......I agree.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Not every Down's syndrome person is mentally challenged.

Most are, but someone with an IQ of 90 or so and a great work ethic would do well in college.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most are, but someone with an IQ of 90 or so and a great work ethic would do well in college.
View Quote

I used to work with a lady with an 80 IQ.  She had an associates, her own business and worked for a large company as IT system administrator.  She was a bit off, but really struck me as pretty "average".  There are a lot of 80 IQ people running around to balance out the rocket scientists.  

She also had her Microsoft MCSE certification, but that is a different story.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I see what you did there...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you experienced the quality of recent college grads?

Can't do much worse.

your making ussumptions......for all intensive purposes collage is really hard as it always has been.

I see what you did there...

Colorado University gave me a chance!

(I tend to agree, though, that college ain't what it used to be.)

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Good for him.

It is a special program.  He will not get a "normal" degree.

But if he wants to work hard to be the best he can be, good for him.

View Quote

well said.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good for him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am always amused at the "devaluing my degree" crowd.

After your first or second job your degree doesn't matter, it is the experience and skills you learned while working that matter.  Furthermore the elitist attitude of requiring a degree was the major driver in dumbing down education.  Employers wanted workers with college educations, as the job market grew either that requirement had to go or the supply of degreed job seekers had to rise. The education industry responded and loosened quality controls.

If you want intelligent workers give them an IQ test, if you want capable workers require experience or provide training. But assuming that just because someone has a degree is worth a fuck, is well, fucking dumb.
View Quote
In the first place, I was in no way denigrating the young man, I even said so, so don't put words in my mouth. We have a special needs person working in our sister lab that has a gift for filing things, which is kind of important. They caught up 3 years of histology cataloguing in a matter of days.

In the second place, my concern was more about degrees. We actually use what we acquire in our college courses in my field (or used to) They've dumbed it down so much, and replaced science degrees with humanities (which has nothing to do with anything in this field) the recent grads have no background in which to build on. You can't tell if an organism is resistant to a certain antibody if you do not know there are different mechanisms of resistance, and which ones are important. A basic knowledge of organic chemistry is pretty useful here. Even past humanity courses, like history and english has been replaced by courses in gibberish. I don't even know what you would call them, they don't seem to serve a purpose except to fill course hours requirements without actually doing anything or learning anything of any use whatsoever.

You can't make a 70% solution of something if you don't know what percent means. This is so easy it boggles the  mind that a college grad can't do it.

We have current grads making such errors as setting up a culture on a specimen preserved in formalin.  Incorrectly reporting out gram stain results because they don't know what the principle is behind a gram stain. Not being able to print and check off a log because they cannot grasp the logic behind the reason we do these things. Not being able to grasp a reason for certain things and tasks we do is pretty common.

I could go on and on but you get the picture. There is a world of difference between current grads and recent grads and their ability to grasp certain concepts. You might be able to learn everything in your job by OTJT but in mine and others you need a background on which to build. Our degree (and others) IS worth a fuck. We spend a lot of time teaching things to people that they should have already gotten in college. THAT'S THE POINT OF TAKING THOSE COURSES TO BEGIN WITH!!!!  There are a few that are so dumb, they honestly aren't teachable. And this should have been made obvious when they started with that major in college.

What earthy purpose do some of these humanity courses even serve?!? Have you ever seen the curriculum? I have. Have you ever read an assignment and looked at what constitutes and A? I have. Even the  expectations of what a term paper should consist of has been dumbed down.

Do you think the dumbing down is limited to liberal arts degrees? Do you think this isn't creeping into engineering or the medical field? Do you think the current infatuation with global warming and other pseudo sciences would be as popular if students in current science fields actually used the scientific method instead of whatever it is they teach these days?

Now that I've written this I've decided that the "special needs" degree might be more relevant then whatever it is they pass out these days. Maybe the non-special needs degrees should follow suit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I used to work with a lady with an 80 IQ.  She had an associates, her own business and worked for a large company as IT system administrator.  She was a bit off, but really struck me as pretty "average".  There are a lot of 80 IQ people running around to balance out the rocket scientists.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that is a prerequisite for an MCSE.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top