Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 1:14:58 PM EDT
I did a search and found nothing. Here is the link

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/16/young-man-with-downs-syndrome-has-the-best-reaction-to-college-acceptance-letter/

Nothing against the kid, it's not his fault. And everyone seems happy for him.

But I'm wondering, doesn't that kind of invalidate higher education?

Van Voreen will be attending Edgewood’s "Cutting Edge Program,” which is designed for students with "intellectual developmental disabilities.”

View Quote

College will soon be the new high school, if it's not already. They've already dumbed down my degree so much that new graduates fail to grasp concepts like flaming a loop to sterilize it so you can isolate bacteria colonies. Or even the ability to do a simple gram stain.

They've taken away physics, most chemistry, and higher math as well. We have techs that have difficulty making a 70% solution of something.

On the other hand, he's probably more qualified to be president than obama.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Intellectual developmental disability.  

Sounds like engineering school material to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
He would ace Women's Studies or one of those other useless libtard degree programs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for him.  Sounds like he found a program that works for him and not everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for him.  It'll boost his self esteem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet he'll do better than most of the kids I knew in College.  

Good for him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What the fuck, obama graduated Harvard.

Fuck be upon him. ( obama, not the tard.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#9]
You have a point, OP, but using Mr. Van Vooren to illustrate it is pretty impudent.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you experienced the quality of recent college grads?

Can't do much worse.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

If someone tells you they've got a BSc in Chemistry from Edgewood College, are you going to worry that they got it through the "Cutting Edge Program"? If not, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Wonder if he will be drinking/partying/doing blow?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have a point, OP, but using Mr. Van Vooren to illustrate it is pretty impudent.  
View Quote
How so?

I already stated it wasn't the kids fault.

My point is, "College" implies some kind of higher learning. If mentally challenged people can earn "college" degrees, then it really isn't college anymore. It's become something else.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good for him.  It'll boost his self esteem.
View Quote

That's the most important part.  Diplomas for everyone!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
More power to this kid and his parents for giving it a shot.   Let's face it, many college degrees are not about building rocket scientists, they are about enduring through 120+ credit hours of course work.  Hell, they gave my ex-wife a degree.

There is a local program that takes mentally or physically handicapped people and gives them a job doing something like housekeeping or lawn work.  They show up every day, on time and bust there ass.  Granted there are some odd behaviors like some will lose their shit if someone touches their broom, but overall do a good job.

Did watch one of the dudes pull a piece of gum from a urinal with bare hands, but that doesn't really distinguish him from half the other people that work there.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#16]
This isn't a mainstream program that will put him into a Biochemistry class, it's a program that will give him a generic degree that will help him boost his self esteem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sounds like engineering Journalism school material to me.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like engineering Journalism school material to me.

FIFY

Yeah, engineering would be interpersonal relationship developmental disability
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing new Pelosi, Biden, Sheila Jackson Lee all went to college.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#20]

It's kinda like this, and there is nothing nefarious afoot - only good, decent intentions. Don't make it into something it's not. Just appreciate it for what it is:

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How so?
My point is, "College" implies some kind of higher learning. If mentally challenged people can earn "college" degrees, then it really isn't college anymore. It's become something else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

You make a valid point when talking about the dumbing down of certain degree programs.  If capable people are entering these programs and not being educated to the fullest extent, then yes, I'd say that that invalidates higher education.
Offering a separate college program for the disabled is quite a different thing, however.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the lessening of standards for more advanced programs.
Will this guy attend engineering college, receive a different syllabus, take different tests, and then receive the same degree as everyone else?   No, and  therefore I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Everybody should be so lucky to be that excited and happy about something, just once in their life.

I'd be much more worried about programs like ITT calling themselves a college than a place whose purpose is to train and help those with disabilities become more independent. NO ONE hiring a grad from this college has any illusions about the graduate or what's taught there. Frankly I'm happy such things exist and would much rather subsidize that than the other "colleges" that no one bats an eye about where the graduates aren't developmentally disabled but simply lazy and stupid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's kinda like this, and there is nothing nefarious afoot - only good, decent intentions. Don't make it into something it's not. Just appreciate it for what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hV5fTUoXc
View Quote

I love that story
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Special Ed for college?  

WTF?

Well, I guess the have to hire HR from somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Good for him.

It is a special program.  He will not get a "normal" degree.

But if he wants to work hard to be the best he can be, good for him.

View Quote
Well put.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#27]
How does this possibly invalidate someone's degree at a university? It's a program designed for special needs kids so they can learn proper skills to integrate better into the workforce.  They aren't graduating with a engineering or medical degree now.  There's no dumbing down of anything.  I guess some here didn't bother to read the info in the link.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Does he get to bang co-eds, too?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does he get to bang co-eds, too?
View Quote

Like a college grad on a drum set.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Not to be cynical, but it sounds like the school business office has penetrated another market.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I love that story
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hV5fTUoXc

I love that story

It's the same guy in both stories. Noah.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How does this possibly invalidate someone's degree at a university? It's a program designed for special needs kids so they can learn proper skills to integrate better into the workforce.  They aren't graduating with a engineering or medical degree now.  There's no dumbing down of anything.  I guess some here didn't bother to read the info in the link.
View Quote

This is GD.  We gripe about the FSA because they're undeserving, then we gripe about a Down syndrome guy going to college because he's undeserving.  
Discernment is not our forte.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#33]
He'd make a swell tutor at the jock dorm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbGl4G8ebk

Video of guy getting accepted is hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not to be cynical, but it sounds like the school business office has penetrated another market.
View Quote

I don't find it cynical.
Will it not be a good thing if this other market ends up finding employment as a result?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbGl4G8ebk

Video of guy getting accepted is hilarious.
View Quote
I smiled.

I don't have anyone in my family with Down Syndrome but growing up, I knew two who did have it - one when I was a 4th grader in a private Christian school, and one when I was at a public High School. And for reasons I'll never really understand, I always took to them. I wanted to hang out with them as much as I could. I always invited them to my house for birthday parties, or or just plain hanging out. Looking back on it, the neat thing was, that as soon as I started including them in my little circle, all the other kids did the same.

I've only known two kids with Down Syndrome, so...small sample size, but they were people that never failed to make me smile. Thinking back, both of them reinforced my long held belief that at our core, human beings are basically decent people.

Was I wrong? Was my sample size too small? Maybe. Hell, probably. Don't really care. I have a HUGE soft spot for kids with Down Syndrome, and I couldn't possibly explain why. I'll even grant that it's probably emotional, or subjective, based on limited anecdotal evidence. Fine.

But the two kids I've known were so God damned nice and genuinely innocent, that I feel like only a truly vile piece of shit could have disliked them. I suppose it's entirely possible that I'm inadvertently extending my adoration to rotten, undeserving kids with Down Syndrome that I really don't know, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't find it cynical.

Will it not be a good thing if this other market ends up finding employment as a result?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't find it cynical.

Well, yeah.

He'll need to pay off a huge debt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#39]
As long as it is funded entirely by tuition, I don't see a problem.  If the market allows for it, have fun.

But I have a sinking feeling that there's a lot of tax money involved and funds being diverted from students that can perform.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can't do much worse.
View Quote

your making ussumptions......for all intensive purposes collage is really hard as it always has been.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Does Malaysian Airlines recruit from this college?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

your making ussumptions......for all intensive purposes collage is really hard as it always has been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't do much worse.

I see what you did there...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

As long as it is funded entirely by tuition, I don't see a problem.  If the market allows for it, have fun.
But I have a sinking feeling that there's a lot of tax money involved and funds being diverted from students that can perform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I doubt it's a lot.
From 2007-2012, the Cutting-Edge program has supported 32 students with
the opportunity to attend college by attending required/undergraduate
courses, practicums and internships, student housing, and learning with a
peer mentors by engaging in student-life events, as well as pursuing
community service.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

How so?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?

Pretty much. Some people have their hearts in the right place but are forgetting that you can't just wish away mental handicaps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with your point, but not in this instance.  I don't think his "degree" will devalue any of our degrees.  It's not exactly like we'll be competing for the same jobs.

For "normal" colleges, I absolutely agree that lowering standards and pushing students through who can't perform does devalue the rest of our degrees.

If he wants to work hard at school and hopefully find a job he can do, I say good for him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I did a search and found nothing. Here is the link

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/16/young-man-with-downs-syndrome-has-the-best-reaction-to-college-acceptance-letter/

Nothing against the kid, it's not his fault. And everyone seems happy for him.

Van Voreen will be attending Edgewood’s "Cutting Edge Program,” which is designed for students with "intellectual developmental disabilities.”

View Quote

College will soon be the new high school, if it's not already. They've already dumbed down my degree so much that new graduates fail to grasp concepts like flaming a loop to sterilize it so you can isolate bacteria colonies. Or even the ability to do a simple gram stain.

They've taken away physics, most chemistry, and higher math as well. We have techs that have difficulty making a 70% solution of something.

On the other hand, he's probably more qualified to be president than obama.
View Quote

Who cares who is accepted to college. You are buying a class. You still have to make the grades.
No, him going doesn't make you less of a man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Waiting on the first Downs syndrom person to be elected President of the United States.

We're all about first's now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Isn't this one of these programs that has been in the news where they go to a college for a summer program of maybe 6 weeks.  Get some generic life skills classes for the mentally challenged and then get a certificate for completing the program?  

Not a degree program, but more along the lines of summer camp for the challenged? Like mentioned, self esteem booster before they get their regular job of mopping out the bathroom of the local fast food restaurant and living in a group home.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Good for him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in my days of factory work we employed groups of people with downs to perform some routine tasks, and they were quite simply amazing workers, they got the same pay as the rest of us, worked just as hard, if not harder, and were generally a joy to be around.

So good for them I say.

Was a crap day when new management came in and canned them because they thought they could get it done cheaper elsewhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top