BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2014 11:37:40 AM EDT
Here's my thoughts...

<<Repeating Weekly Schedule>>
Mon: Break huge boulders down for 4 hours. Eat for 30 minutes. Break huge boulders down for 4 hours. Whatever 'rehabilitation' program the liberals want to try. Then back to your cell for the remaining part of your day
Tues: Break large boulders down for 4 hours. Eat for 30 minutes. Break large boulders down for 4 hours. Whatever 'rehabilitation' program the liberals want to try. Then back to your cell for the remaining part of your day.
Wed: Break large rocks down to smaller rocks for 4 hours. Eat for 30 minutes. Break large rocks down smaller rocks for 4 hours. Whatever 'rehabilitation' program the liberals want to try. Then back to your cell for the remaining part of your day
Thur: Break small rocks into pebbles for 4 hours. Eat for 30 minutes. Break small rocks into pebbles for 4 hours. No 'rehabilitation' today. You go to your cell for the rest of the day.
Fri: Recreation day!!! Todays activities >> move huge boulders from one side of the yard to where they'll be ready for Mondays work day. No 'rehabilitation' today. Go back to your cell for the rest of the day and think about how much you don't want to be there.
Sat: Stay in your cell for 22 hours. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is delivered to your cell by the Trustees. The other two hours of your day are spent outside in the Yard or this is Visitors Day for half the population.
Sun: Church if you are so inclined for two hours, then two hours of recreation time outside or Visitors Day for the other half of the population. Then 18 hours in your cell.

Don't like it?? Then don't friggen break the law.

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Start by calling it the punishment system
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or admit that it's not there to punish or to rehabilitate.  It's there to separate us from them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That would not work.  How would you get them to do any of that without violating their rights?  They'd all say "my back hurts and I can't work" and then you got nothing as you still have to feed them, can't hurt them, and gotta give them sex changes if they want one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Fewer ATI programs.
Inmates only get good time if they've actually been good for the term of incarceration
Take away the TVs, video game systems, etc.

Run corrections as a business and build your facilities as large as possible as board in as many inmates as you can to make the county money
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Tougher punishments for first time offenders in an effort to reduce repeat offenses.

A slap on the wrist doesnt change behavior in the right direction. it emboldens them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You aren't sentenced for a duration but for a dollar amount.

The amount would include the expenses to house you and restitution to whomever you wronged.

You are released when you've earned enough to pay off your fine.

Only money earned while incarcerated can be used to pay the fine.

Sit on your ass = stay locked up indefinitely (with decreasing comforts as you fall into arrears on your expenses).

Exhibit motivation and earn the right to undergo training for more advanced skills and higher earnings = earlier release.

Less burden on society, re-emphasis on personal accountability and those that are released have demonstrated some degree of work ethic and possibly improved/marketable skills.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or admit that it's not there to punish or to rehabilitate.  It's there to separate us from them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Soooo... a return to Penal colonies?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear Australia is nice this time of year!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a penal graveyard?  Say get arrested 10 times and plant food?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
They would have NOTHING in their cell. Confined to their cell 24/7/365. Only way to get out is working a chain gang on the roads. They would eat bread & water. My system would NOT cost $78K/year per prisoner!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can we just put a wall around Manhattan and toss the convicts inside?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Why are you giving them 30 minutes to eat? 10 mins is good. Oh and get rid of the Wardens, they are usually dirty anyway
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's there to turn profits to the companies that the states outsource to.  They want more inmates, not less.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chain gangs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd create work programs within the prison that teach some sort of useful skill (welding, auto repair, etc).  Whatever goods or services that are produced helps pay for the prison.  Your pay for working buys you privileges (private room, TV, better food, books, cigarettes, etc).  If you choose not to work, don't bitch about the accommodations and lack of comforts; this isn't a Holiday Inn.

The goal would be to help offset the costs of running the prison, while providing the inmates a chance to learn a skill that they could use for employment when they are released.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Druggies all die.

Six months later ...

"I'll have a coke"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh the only real change I've come up with deals with death row inmates.  Pay-per-view gladiatorial fighting .

You may be thinking "but those that are wrongly accused ".
- my answer is they best fight harder to stay alive.
- possible rewards such as freedom after so many wins.
- we don't pay to keep dead men walking.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Mandatory ballet classes. No one excused.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
So the question is about what corrections to the corrections system i'd make?

Yo dawg...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Let out the druggies. execute all the thief's rapists, murders and illegals
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I think we should export them to Mexico or Guatemala and contract with some foreign companies to keep them alive if the sentence is over 2 years.

They don't have rights in Mexico so they can't sue us.

It would save a ton of money per inmate.

They would end up learning a second language.

They won't get out all bulked up from lifting weights and eating good.

I bet they won't want to go back either.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think we should export them to Mexico or Guatemala and contract with some foreign companies to keep them alive if the sentence is over 2 years.

View Quote

that kind of talk might make people think you advocate making prison unpleasant to the point of deterring someone from ending up there...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The problem is, I don't see reverse importation working out. They get caught they get shipped back unlike the illegals undocumented workers here under the douche bags in charge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Prisons should be as self sufficient as possible. Growing their own food, raising dairy and meat livestock. Cooking from scratch.  All work preformed by inmates. It use to be that way too.

ETA: Some prisons still raise some of their food.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Put a big wall around Detroit.  Add prisoners.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Last time I checked, while limited, offenders are still afforded protection under the US Constitution.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
stop sending criminal politicians to country clubs.   They go to Rikers or Angola.    

Juvie offenders do adult time on first felony if violent.   Right now by the time the dirtbags are 18 they have committed  multiple felonies,   in and out of juvie slammer in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Abolish the death penalty, but since they love killing each other in the streets and in prison for the stupidest shit, give each inmate a kitchen knife and a sharpening stone, no need for useless anti-shank possession rules that keep inmates in prison longer wasting oxygen.

Have guards go in for body retrieval only, after sounding an alarm for inmates to drop to the ground or get shot by m14/m1a armed guards in guard towers.  

The better the behavior, the better constructive reward.

Allow them to grow/cook their own food (They have a kitchen knife).

Allow them to choose a profession of skilled labor, with a required level of performance (2.0 GPA, 12+ credits required per semester, mock interviews, professional resume training) or 4 years military service with complete freedoms and privileges restored (gun ownership, right to vote) pending honorable discharge.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Violent offenders get a LONG LONG time to think about what they did.

Those in there for drug related non-violent crimes get released/help/counseling.

I'd also have little tolerance for feral children who decide they want to do some very grown up criminal acts. . . . and if it clear negligence can be proven I'd lock their folks up with them.

Also, and assuming my scope wasn't limited to just the corrections system, I'd look into legislating new laws to punish white collared criminals. I think financial crimes should be prosecuted with gusto, the requirements necessary to make convictions should be lowered, and they need get rid of any bureaucratic legal loopholes which create safe havens the current crooks use to shield themselves from prosecution.

When someone steals billions of dollars from hard working folks I want to see them shot and all their assets taken.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Stop the WOD.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Some people need to be taught that they're suppose to get up and work every day.  

When I was a kid in the South, we had Chain Gangs.  Guys would work on the roads picking up trash.  

When some guy got into trouble, he would get a choice: six month hard labor -OR- twelve months in jail.  

So if he worked for a few weeks and got a backache, he could choose to go to prison and finish his twelve months.  It was his choice to go and work on the Chain Gangs.  

Nowadays those guys could work sort recycling and garbage.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Manual labor sounds good. Break rocks or dig ditches during the day.  Some educational programs in the evening.  How to sew, that sort of thing.  Basic chow.  No TV, but all the books you want to read.  Basic preventative healthcare.  Church on Sunday if you wish.  For those who will actually be released I'm all for teaching them useful skills and then creating an environment where they actually have a chance to succeed in the real world when they're released.  Get your freedom, life, liberties back sort of thing; don't screw it up because you won't get out again.  Maybe just lock people up for real crimes in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tougher punishments for first time offenders in an effort to reduce repeat offenses.

A slap on the wrist doesnt change behavior in the right direction. it emboldens them.
View Quote

yup. I bet its a long time before he pisses on the Alamo again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/15/man-gets-prison-peeing-on-alamo_n_5154931.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Prisons should be as self sufficient as possible. Growing their own food, raising dairy and meat livestock. Cooking from scratch.  All work preformed by inmates. It use to be that way too.

View Quote

The State Farm here in Virginia used to raise produce and livestock for prison consumption. We even had a cannery...... We ate damn good.

All the road camps used to have gardens and maybe cattle if there was enough land.....We ate pretty good.

Now due to federal regulations and state shenanigans convicts are fed processed food and lowest bidder veggies and the produce/livestock raised is sold on the open market with the proceeds going into the state general fund.....I brought in a sammich from home before I retired.

Anyone that says convicts eat "good" is full of shit. They get three meals to sustain them and that's about it. No pork, most every thing is made of different flavors of ground turkey. Nasty shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those in there for drug related non-violent crimes get released/help/counseling.
View Quote

We have a ton of ATI programs. In general the criminals prefer to do the straight time and get it over with, rather than have to attend a bunch of classes, job training, rehabs etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
It's "trusty" or "trusties". Other than that, I'm good with what you wrote except for religious services. Most inmates throw the bible in the trash on the way out the door. They have to work (weekly quiz) to attend church.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Prisonloaf until you're good, and if you're not good, decreasing amounts of prisonloaf, until you're good again.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Electric bleachers
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Electric anal bleachers
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Death sentence means death sooner not later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Make Angola the norm....prison farm, thousands of acres of crops, beef, cattle...

Self supporting.  

The term should be Prison Farm.  You eat what you grow....work hard.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Death Races, just like the movie.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Recognize that 'Harsh' punishment isn't necessarily cruel and unusual.

So..

Serious crimes get hard time.    No Gym, Minimal walking for exercise.   Basic nutritional needs only.     Minimal access to outside info (i.e...no unlimited library, etc.).  
Hard labor for some crimes.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Sentences should be an educational achievement requirement.  1st time burglar w/o a HS diploma?  Earn an Associates @ our in prison state college, we'll let you out.  Murder in the first degree?  A PhD in microbiology and a Masters in ancient Chinese pottery is required.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sentences should be an educational achievement requirement.  1st time burglar w/o a HS diploma?  Earn an Associates @ our in prison state college, we'll let you out.  Murder in the first degree?  A PhD in microbiology and a Masters in ancient Chinese pottery is required.
View Quote

Our governor is advocating for state prisoners getting college degrees at state expense

I would generally oppose his idea as well as yours
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Texas had that system, but the Feds put an end to it.

Build 10x10 concrete holes in the ground with bars on top. Drop them in and keep them there until release date. Lower food in
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Our governor is advocating for state prisoners getting college degrees at state expense

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather someone who couldn't function in society going into prison gets out w/ SOME legal way to function in society.  Otherwise they're just going to end up back in, after stealing my tools or mugging me.  Unlike your bat-shit crazy governor, I'm for keeping ones that can't get the degree inside - indefinitely.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Recognize that 'Harsh' punishment isn't necessarily cruel and unusual.

So..

Serious crimes get hard time.    No Gym, Minimal walking for exercise.   Basic nutritional needs only.     Minimal access to outside info (i.e...no unlimited library, etc.).  
Hard labor for some crimes.

View Quote

How are you you going to make them do the hard labor without violating their rights?

And the TV watching and gym activities are not for the inmates, but for the under staffed prison staff. One TV keeps them occupied. Weights tire them out. It's hard to explain until you've worked in a jail or prison.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Crimes against the public: do away with about 98% of these

Crimes against property: restitution, work release, garnishing wages, seizing property

Crimes against the person: restitution, work release, jail time, no probation
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuckin A.

Maybe make it more about "Correcting the problem/issue with the individual" just to start with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd rather someone who couldn't function in society going into prison gets out w/ SOME legal way to function in society.  Otherwise they're just going to end up back in, after stealing my tools or mugging me.  Unlike your bat-shit crazy governor, I'm for keeping ones that can't get the degree inside - indefinitely.
View Quote

Then they can re-pay the state for student loans equivalent in value to what it would have cost to go to the state university. No way should felons get a free college education when the law-abiding citizen is paying tuition loans for the same thing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top