Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 4:19:07 AM EDT
Taking my dog on a trip shortly and he gets sick in the car.  Vet told me give him 25 MG of Benedryl.  The little syringe thingy they gave me is in ML ?  Anybody know how to convert 25 MG to ML ?  Leaving soon and need some help.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know the specific gravity of Benedryl?

I'd call the vet and ask.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Mg is unit of mass.

Ml is unit of volume.

I believe we are missing something to convert.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
MG is a measure of mass, ML is a measure of volume. You cant convert without knowing the density.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The first Benedryl I pulled up on the internet lists it as being 12.5mg per 5 ml.  So in this case you would give the dog 10 ml.

BUT VERIFY THE STRENGTH OF THE BENEDRYL YOU HAVE.  It should say the strength somewhere on the bottle.

This is how it was listed on the inernet example I found:

"Medicinal ingredients:
•Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 12.5 mg/5 mL"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes the concentration is listed on all OTC's

That number will complete the formula.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first Benedryl I pulled up on the internet lists it as being 12.5mg per 5 ml.  So in this case you would give the dog 10 ml.

BUT VERIFY THE STRENGTH OF THE BENEDRYL YOU HAVE.  It should say the strength somewhere on the bottle.

This is how it was listed on the inernet example I found:

"Medicinal ingredients:
•Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 12.5 mg/5 mL"
View Quote

Exactly. If it doesn't you need to talk to the vet's office/pharmacy and find out. Can't convert without knowing concentration, and it could easily come in different concentrations.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Vet was not answering and I am about to leave and they called.  Geez.  They told me fill it to .5 which is like a few drops it seems but they said I could double that and it wont hurt him.  Just hope mr. beagle don't puke in my car.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Dogs can have 1mg/lb of Benadryl. So a 25 pound dog gets 25 mg.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what my vet said too.  Said dogs handle Benadryl differently than humans and that my 22 pound little dog named Pisser could have a 25mg tab.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top