Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 4:10:11 AM EDT
Today is the 72nd Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo in World War II.

There are four surviving Doolittle Raiders still with us. They held their last public reunion on April 18, 2013 and three of them met again to share a bottle of Cognac last November. I was privileged enough meet and interview them at some of their events. Here are my articles:

Article on the Final Toast ceremony. This was a very emotional event for them and the audience. I will admit it made me misty.

Doolittle Raiders make a final toast to their comrades

"The Doolittle Raiders, whose 1942 raid on Japan raised American morale at a dark time during World War II, met for the final time over Veteran’s Day weekend to honor their comrades with a last toast."

Article on their final reunion last year. This article also includes a video where the curator of the Pacific Aviation Musuem talks about the importance of the Doolittle Raid.

Doolittle Raiders meet for final public reunion on raid's 71st Anniversary

"There were 80 of them, young men all, when they flew their heavily laden twin-engine bombers off the deck of the aircraft carrier Hornet on the daring Doolittle Raid on April 18, 1942.

Now, 71 years later, only four of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders, all in their 90's, remain. Three of them are together this week at their last public reunion at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida."

I was able to interview  four surviving Raiders at their 70th Reunion in 2012. This article includes a link to my video interviews. It was a privilege to interview these men and the video is worth watching to hear them describe the raid in their own words.

Four Doolittle Raiders talk about their mission 70 years later

"On April 18, 1942, the 80 Doolittle Tokyo Raiders launched their secret bombing mission to strike back against Japan less than five months after the surprise Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

n rare interviews, held 70 years to day later, four of the five remaining Raiders discussed their mission with the Military Aviation Examiner."

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Read all three articles.  Thank you.

BTW, I have an autographed photo of Gen. Jimmy Doolittle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome Men and great read... Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo." Good book,good movie.

I have a wartime copy that has a LOT of material redacted.The reason is that they didn't want to give any info about the Chinese who helped them escape; the Japs would have tortured them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Great read about incredible men! Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the kinds words guys.

I hope you are watching the video interview as well. Hearing the men tell their stories in their own words is worth the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my favorite WWII stories.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#8]
It was an honor to see them in November 2013 at the Fairborn (Dayton) outdoor ceremony. Special group of men.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a bump for the evening crew.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
One last bump for night crew.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top