Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:39:41 AM EDT
How crazy was this? Seems like it could have ended very bad. cops go for a swim

Quoted post from the PD facebook page, the PD wrote this.

"Way to go OBPD Officer William Brock and Officer Julia Humble! Chief Don Gammage and the OBPD are so proud of these two officers. It was incredible how they jumped without hesitation into Maywood Lake at 10:15 pm tonight and swam out in full duty gear including their gun belts and bulletproof vests, very brave indeed!!! "
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
not without this
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for them

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a cop, and we didn't wear vests, but I did the combat water survival test multiple times, jumping in pools or lakes wearing full military web gear and a rifle and swimming whatever distance was required.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
We test for it.  Four  lakes in our area and several lake patrol  units.  Life jackets and throw lines in all the cars too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Subscribe to read the full story.   Nope.

But, mad props to the officers.

The shoes/boots alone would be enough of a hassle without adding 20 pounds of gear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We test for it.  Four  lakes in our area and several lake patrol  units.  Life jackets and throw lines in all the cars too.
View Quote

Excellent!  I used to teach this stuff in the Corps.  Good on your department.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pleasantly surprising.  How much tougher is the swim with your gear on?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tape a 2.5lb plate to each foot, and hang a 25lb plate around your waist and go for a swim...

ETA: I know how to swim, but nearly positive I would have drowned if I were them. If I had to go in, I wouldn't ditched my belt on the shore (assuming they come off quickly?).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tape a 2.5lb plate to each foot, and hang a 25lb plate around your waist and go for a swim...

ETA: I know how to swim, but nearly positive I would have drowned if I were them. If I had to go in, I wouldn't ditched my belt on the shore (assuming they come off quickly?).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't.  The whole idea is to make the belt as hard to rip off as possible.  (keepers, etc)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]
you guys would love the helo dunker.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Crap, I sink like a rock WITH OUT my damn gear!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody loves the dunker.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
I did that at aviation challenge when i was like 12...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#16]
This in when the tactical beer belly comes in extra flotation
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Childsplay.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not a cop, and we didn't wear vests, but I did the combat water survival test multiple times, jumping in pools or lakes wearing full military web gear and a rifle and swimming whatever distance was required.
View Quote

did this a few times myself
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Army?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Courageous and selfless acts like this are too scarce these days.

If that was my wife and grandchild, neither of those officers would ever buy another beer again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They don't.  The whole idea is to make the belt as hard to rip off as possible.  (keepers, etc)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear six keepers, and I know for a fact that I can have my belt off in 10 seconds or less when I REALLY have to take a shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Used to do this once a year, February in Germany sucked balls...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I have once.  Went into a pool that a toddler fell into.  It wasn't easy.  LOL  But the kid was OK and I was waterlogged.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#24]
More swimming cops.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't but the thought has crossed my mind what if I had to swim out to get someone.
It would be a difficult swim with a vest,loaded duty belt and boots. If there were other policeman that showed up at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they gave them their stuff or maybe dumped it in the trunk before going out.
I can't imagine jumping in with all that stuff on.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wear six keepers, and I know for a fact that I can have my belt off in 10 seconds or less when I REALLY have to take a shit.

Code brown?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
More swimming cops.

http://youtu.be/8JCfukzAi94
View Quote

Came to mention this as I'm sitting about 100 yards from that pool right now. Michigan might as well be Waterworld so it's most certainly wise to train for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can do it in six seconds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in the academy, we had a water safety class that ended with a day at the pool.  The instructor asked who the best swimmer was? Everyone pointed to a guy that was a former SEAL.  They had him put on a wool Sheriffs uniform, vest, duty belt, and boots.  The pool was a square pool, 25 yards on each side.  The recruit had to jump feet first into the pool and swim along the sides of the pool and then pull himself out for the clock to stop.  The recruit was slow but stead, took a couple treading breaks and finished the swim in about 3 minutes.  It took him an additional 3 minutes to pull his water logged ass out of the pool.

Everyone was impressed.  The instructor told the recruit Good Job.  The recruit asked if he beat the record?  The instructor told him, there was no record, he's the first recruit to finish the course.

The instructor said that they've had several finish the swimming part, but couldn't pull themselves, let alone whom ever they would supposedly be saving, out of the water.  After the course, they had the recruit attempt a couple of easy obstacles.  He was exhausted. He said his arms and legs were like rubber.

I'm not saying I'd never do it, but I would take the time to dump the belt and boots before jumping into water.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Code brown?

View Quote

ten 100
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Chlorine discolored name tapes is how you identify operating operators.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Army?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Army?

ROTC cadidiot, plus an Explorer Post that was chartered to a National Guard SF battalion, CWST is much more fun when your web gear includes a full buttpack...  and was at the start of three days of patrolling ops.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#34]
We lost a good guy that way. He was trying to save a woman in distress in the river. Water is not your friend if you're wearing a duty belt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Not a cop, but jumping in water with a full set of bunkers is easy. Add a SCBA and it's just like scuba diving.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When I was in the academy, we had a water safety class that ended with a day at the pool.  The instructor asked who the best swimmer was? Everyone pointed to a guy that was a former SEAL.  They had him put on a wool Sheriffs uniform, vest, duty belt, and boots.  The pool was a square pool, 25 yards on each side.  The recruit had to jump feet first into the pool and swim along the sides of the pool and then pull himself out for the clock to stop.  The recruit was slow but stead, took a couple treading breaks and finished the swim in about 3 minutes.  It took him an additional 3 minutes to pull his water logged ass out of the pool.

Everyone was impressed.  The instructor told the recruit Good Job.  The recruit asked if he beat the record?  The instructor told him, there was no record, he's the first recruit to finish the course.

The instructor said that they've had several finish the swimming part, but couldn't pull themselves, let alone whom ever they would supposedly be saving, out of the water.  After the course, they had the recruit attempt a couple of easy obstacles.  He was exhausted. He said his arms and legs were like rubber.

I'm not saying I'd never do it, but I would take the time to dump the belt and boots before jumping into water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Belt wouldnt kill it for me.   Vest and boots would.   Boots would be about as effective as swimming with closed fists.   Vest would probably provide more drag than any other piece of clothing save for a tucked in button up shirt.

Swam entire life competitively.  Was all american junior/senior year, life guard swims, and time with college team before leaving due to valuing job/money more.

Energy conservation and comfort level in the water are key.    Just approaching a paniced person in the water is dangeous enough to lifeguards who are wearing trunks and have a floatation device in tow.

I wish my academy had a pool.   I would go back as an instructor for the very reasons you mention.   People may think they are a good swimmer but the reality is dog paddle doesnt count.   I am amazed at how many people cannot swim.    Wouldnt look good though if a recruit drowned during an academy swim and had to be given mouth to mouth.     Bad enough that some recruits have ambulances called on day one for normal PT
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]

This, my gear/uniform/boots adds 37 lbs to me. I'd drown, no point in adding another person to be rescued. I'll take my vest and belt off.
Not to down play what these officer did, they're straight up awesome.

Me, I'll need to take 20 seconds to shed some gear.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]
PERHAPS THEY DIDNT HAVE TO SWIM BUT WATER WAS WASTE CHEST DEEP ETC?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

ten 100
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Code brown?

ten 100

you urban guys have it easy

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This, my gear/uniform/boots adds 37 lbs to me. I'd drown, no point in adding another person to be rescued. I'll take my vest and belt off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that's a lot of extra weight. I just learned how to swim last summer so I know there is no way I'd made it with all that stuff on. Glad I learned though, wasn't on duty or anything but a few days ago I had to swim and get a kid who jumped in a pool and couldn't swim, right place, right time and glad I took those lessons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Hope they had otterboxes on their personal cellphones.

How about their radios and tasers? Are they waterproof?

Does body armor get damaged by being submerged? (I know some LEO's buy their own, that would suck to have to replace a 500$ vest).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do rural cops really have to shit in the woods often?
View All Quotes

not really unless you make the mistake of eating on of these heated in a gas station microwave

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I have several times both in the river going after bad guys and a few times pulling people off the bottom of pools. I prefer to shed my stuff if able but have gone in full duty belt, vest and boots before.

J-
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I can't swim for shit. I barely made third class swim qual in the Corps. And I was a 300 PFT guy, so it had nothing to do with fitness. Also had years of swim classes as a kid, so it's not that I never learned. I just suck at it and don't float well....especially with gear on.

When I was in swim classes as a kid, we had to swim for 45 minutes straight without touching the sides, and tread water for 10 minutes. That was much easier than third class in the Corps, which if I remember correctly, was 5 minutes swimming in cammies, followed by 5 minutes treading water in cammies (no break in between). But that difference might have had a lot to do with the change in body mass and density from a kid to an adult.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hope they had otterboxes on their personal cellphones.

How about their radios and tasers? Are they waterproof?

Does body armor get damaged by being submerged? (I know some LEO's buy their own, that would suck to have to replace a 500$ vest).
View Quote

Radios likely ruined. I saw a small puddle ruin an Astro Sabre, not sure if the newest stuff is more waterproof. Body armor would likely need replacing as well. Full submersion would probably have some negative effect on the integrity of the materials. Cell phones would be fried as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nobody loves the dunker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody loves the dunker.

When my dad went through it in Glasgow, a dumbass activated his vest inside the helo.  Pinned him to the floor and he almost drowned.   Only thing that saved his ass was a rescue diver with a knife.    Sounds like that was pretty common.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  We didn't have plates when I was in, but I did put a few bricks in the bottom of my ALICE pack...

D(WSQ)Peacher
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top