BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Earlier someone was dissing open carriers with revolvers. I went to Walmart for last minute Easter stuff, so I carried my S&W Model 66 no-dash .357 magnum (wearing pearls, it's a holiday) in a Strong leather pancake holster. As usually the crowd was oblivious and no fucks were given.

MissBheaven requested I bring back a photo . . .

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9C029F9B-A6BB-46DE-9D34-C6959EE07F0F%7D/origpict/ocwm041914.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63068
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Boobolitz 4:13 - yea verily, the shepard of the sheep shalt go forth into the flock of the Lord, and thy shalt wearith thine croatian devining rod of retribution upon thine body within the shell of holy kydex. Though the evils of the world, the neckbeards of Satan congregate at Walmart, the sons the Lord need not fear, as they shall be sheltered by the holy sheepdog. I say verily unto you, woof.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This was worth the whole thread
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's a thumb drive option for the ALS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry a Glock in a SERPA. I've tried the ALS, and wasn't happy with it - I just plain don't like the "hood" part of it.

I'm aware of the potential issue with drawing like you have lobster claws and snagging the trigger. I've trained enough that I'm no longer concerned about it.  As for it locking up... well, Arfcom assures me that it's made of paper mache, so if I'm ever in a situation where the holster is locked up and I need the gun, I'll just give it a light twist and the holster will snap right in two, putting me back in action.

There's a thumb drive option for the ALS.

Yeah, I like the thumb option ALS holsters. For OWB holsters, they are my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Haha, wrong! I open carry my XD in a Bianchi model 82, not a serpa.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The Safariland GLS looks to be the best thing in retention holsters yet.  Tried to embed, removed the "s" and still no dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM70ysZ3g54
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My problem with the Safariland holsters is they're pretty much open-carry-only holsters. They sit too low and too far from the body to be easily concealed, which is my mode of carry 90% of the time. But in the Atlanta heat, sometimes if I'm walking the dog or whatever, I don't want to wear a cover garment. The Bianchi CarryLok rides high and tight like a decent concealed rig should, has rock-solid retention, and doesn't have the "dirt/grit" lockup problems of the serpa. I'm not a huge fan of the release action but nothing's perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My problem with the Safariland holsters is they're pretty much open-carry-only holsters. They sit too low and too far from the body to be easily concealed, which is my mode of carry 90% of the time. But in the Atlanta heat, sometimes if I'm walking the dog or whatever, I don't want to wear a cover garment. The Bianchi CarryLok rides high and tight like a decent concealed rig should, has rock-solid retention, and doesn't have the "dirt/grit" lockup problems of the serpa. I'm not a huge fan of the release action but nothing's perfect.
View Quote

Look at the GLS video I just posted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Variety is the spice of life.  

Honestly, I don't shoot nearly enough these days.  Mostly I shoot my XDM when I go out, as that's the gun I generally carry.

If a 1911 would hold 13 rounds of .45ACP, I'd probably spend most of my time shooting that and use it for carry.  It's my favorite gun, but IMO it's too big and carries too few rounds for a practical CCW gun.  I know there are 9MM's that are more compact and carry more rounds, but my first pistol was 45ACP, and since I reload, I just kept buying 45's.  I don't feel the need to add more calibers to my reloading hobby...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

No. They work well. Better grip angle than a Glock, for me. The trigger is....striker.

The Glock and M&P fanbois seem to dump on it to validate their choices. The 1911 fanbois dump on it, too, but they dump on everything.

I guess I have to buy an M&P, then.  I already have an XDM, a Glock, and a 1911.  Must ensure I have something for everyone to hate!

Why not just pick one and get good with it?

Variety is the spice of life.  

Honestly, I don't shoot nearly enough these days.  Mostly I shoot my XDM when I go out, as that's the gun I generally carry.

If a 1911 would hold 13 rounds of .45ACP, I'd probably spend most of my time shooting that and use it for carry.  It's my favorite gun, but IMO it's too big and carries too few rounds for a practical CCW gun.  I know there are 9MM's that are more compact and carry more rounds, but my first pistol was 45ACP, and since I reload, I just kept buying 45's.  I don't feel the need to add more calibers to my reloading hobby...

I don't know about your physiological specifics, but this is what works for me:

+

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At least if they ND with an XD, they'll only put a hole in themselves and/or the floor.

If they were using a Glock with a serpa, they have the potential to take out a 5m radius with an ND.
View Quote

Don't forget about the 15m casulty radius.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Safariland GLS looks to be the best thing in retention holsters yet.  Tried to embed, removed the "s" and still no dice.

View Quote

This is relevant to my interests.

Too bad they don't have an option for any of the guns I carry.

ETA: Embed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, that looks pretty nice, actually. I might have to look into these.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes it does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

theyre good holsters!

just because tex grebner, tex grebner outdoors shot his leg you hate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost never OC, but if I did, what should I use instead of Serpa that's not a thumb-break retention strap?

You should not worry about what a random blogger guy on the internet says you should or shouldn't use.

Yeah, fuck those guys.  SERPA ALL THE WAY!
While I think Serpas are crap, the Marines use (used?) them and I still see a lot of cops using them.  

theyre good holsters!

just because tex grebner, tex grebner outdoors shot his leg you hate?

More because when I had one it ripped of the belt loop when I caught it on my seatbelt.

If it's that easy to fail, it's junk.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Amazon doesn't have the GLS yet but Holsters.com has them for $46.50.  I'm probably going to order one at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, as I said earlier in the thread, nearly every time I see an OC guy in my AO, it's XD/SERPA.  

Of course, I did miss the guy in my AO OCing on his Segway but OC is never about attention seeking....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And everyone should do what you like because?

I don't really care, dude.  Just noticing a trend.

A trend huh?  Read one post on some board and it's a trend?

No, as I said earlier in the thread, nearly every time I see an OC guy in my AO, it's XD/SERPA.  

Of course, I did miss the guy in my AO OCing on his Segway but OC is never about attention seeking....

Okay, you see one guy.....................not a trend.

It mostly about a choice, not "attention seeking".

I notice that you, like many others, are all about "choice" unless you don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Working at a gun store, I would say 80%+ of all open carry folks use the shitty nylon Uncle Miles or Bulldog one size fits all holster. Some choad was OC'ing a Beretta 92 with a 20 round mag in it, and he had to keep putting the holster back in position since he was using the clip attachment to his shorts.

Most retarded one was a fat fuck wearing a war belt, with six double mag pouches, a drop leg with 3x33 round mags, and a Serpa drop leg containing a Glock that had been raped by a wood burner. To top it off he had a 33 round mag in the gun and was banging it on everything.
View Quote

I would say you are wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I always associate open carriers with S&W Sigmas and Ruger auto loaders. And if you ask, they'll swear they're better than 90% of anything else on the market. Fuckin' love to hear that shit.
View Quote

Oh please, tell us how Ruger autoloaders don't work every fucking time.

Oh, you "ASSociate" huh.  Aren't you speshul.

And I OC my Rugers in Galcos as well as my:
Sigs
AR24s
1911s
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MARKETING OVER DESIGN!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost never OC, but if I did, what should I use instead of Serpa that's not a thumb-break retention strap?

You should not worry about what a random blogger guy on the internet says you should or shouldn't use.

While I think Serpas are crap, the Marines use (used?) them and I still see a lot of cops using them.  

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MARKETING OVER DESIGN!!!!!!

Glock?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
LarryG is upset.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Saw a neckbeard* OC guy the other day at Walmart. He had his whole brood with him. He was strutting around like he was the baddest 130 pound 5' 7" guy in the world. He had a Sig in a right hand holster on his left hip, with his car keys and a bunch of other shit hanging off the holster. I had to nudge the wife and point out the fashion faux pas.

*not an exaggeration. Actual neckbeard.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LarryG is upset.

View Quote

No ma'am, you haven't seen me upset.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LarryG is upset.

Ok, just offended.  Settle down, ma'am.  They're just inanimate objects.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Glock 17 with 124gr Federal HST riding in a Safariland 6360 Level III..... For work.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p351/CotyReinau/IMAG0220_zps9s2ysxbc.jpg

ETA: On a high ride adapter. Fuck the UBL.

ETA2: Where I work 99% of the guys run a Serpa, makes me worry a bit.
View Quote

Which Loomis branch do you work for?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

gunsite recommends against them
banned by Todd Green
Jeff Gonzales bans serpa
Kyle Defoor:
"Whoever chose this piece of shit to be issued to anyone- you're an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk."
john mcphee bans them
national park service bans serpa for it's officers.
paul howe thinks they suck (I've heard this from the horse's mouth btw)
mike pannone bans the serpa

That's a fair chunk of the training community.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

gunsite recommends against them
banned by Todd Green
Jeff Gonzales bans serpa
Kyle Defoor:
"Whoever chose this piece of shit to be issued to anyone- you're an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk."
john mcphee bans them
national park service bans serpa for it's officers.
paul howe thinks they suck (I've heard this from the horse's mouth btw)
mike pannone bans the serpa

That's a fair chunk of the training community.

Every time this subject comes up I'm always amazed to see MORE names of big-time trainers that recommend against them our OUTRIGHT BAN THEM.

USAF SF discontinues use of Sepa in favor of Safariland

Also, according to Warrior Talk Compilation Thread
DOE bans them
Grey Group Training bans them
Wilson Tactical bans them
Ken Hackathorne (Hasn't banned them, but has seen multiple NDs and recommends against them)

The thread is also a MASSIVE compilation of personal testimonies as to the failures of Serpas by cops and mil.

What about the Light Fighter Compilation Thread?
Norwegian Military
Okanogan County Sheriff's Dept

That there's not several stickied threads on multiple internet forums frequented by professional end-users with lists and testimonies regarding the G-Code and Safariland holsters is A CLUE.

But let's get emotionally attached to a $40 piece of plastic that has had massive potentially life-altering issues with a large variety of agencies and training groups.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD
View Quote

So what's the scenario here? If you can grasp the pistol with one hand you can rack the slide on your holster, the curb, a desk, your shoe, or whatever. If you can't grasp the pistol you're not going to be shooting an XD, or for that matter a 1911, either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But let's get emotionally attached to a $40 piece of plastic that has had massive potentially life-altering issues with a large variety of agencies and training groups.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 17 with 124gr Federal HST riding in a Safariland 6360 Level III..... For work.

That is classified.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is classified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is classified.

OPSEC!  OPSEC!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OPSEC!  OPSEC!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is classified.

OPSEC!  OPSEC!

It's a must.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LarryG is upset.

Not offended at all.  Just recognize bullshit when I see it.

I guess your "ma'am" comeback somehow makes you clever.

Nope, just like your other posts in this thread.

Being unwillingly to let others carry how they choose without your nonsense is just a lot of hot air.

YOU are the one who started this whiny crap about the inanimate objects that other people use.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm all messed up then. I was only open carrying a PSP in a custom high ride leather holster. Guess I need to sell it n buy a 17 & some kydex ;)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Being unwillingly to let others carry how they choose without your nonsense is just a lot of hot air.

YOU are the one who started this whiny crap about the inanimate objects that other people use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LarryG is upset.

On second thought, never mind.  You carry whatever you like and I'll continue to discuss inferior gear on a discussion forum.  If you don't like the part where folks bring up facts, then feel free to present a different viewpoint using facts of your own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sitting on the seatbelt?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sitting on the seatbelt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sitting on the seatbelt?

It kinda looks like that but no. We have things to lock them out so they aren't tight all day, so it was locked out a few inches which makes it look that way. They let go if you pull the belt out further so if you like got into an accident it will still hold your ass in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#36]
W00t!  Got a Safariland GLS en route for review from a hook up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Oklahoma has had an "open carry" law for over a year now...and I STILL haven't seen anyone open carrying yet. I asked my neighbor, a 20+year police supervisor, and he said that HE hasn't seen or even received a report from any of his officers of an open carry yet.

We all pretty much believe in OPSEC around here. We're just relieved that we can reach for our wallets in a convenience store without having to worry that some passive-aggressive, left-wing, looney-tunes will scream "he's got a gun! he's got a gun!" or the other old standby "concealed means CONCEALED!" just to harass you for carrying concealed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In northern Va the standard open carrier is usually a pasty, overweight white guy with a POS black nylon holster or a fobus and either a Glock or an XD.  Usually, they are wearing some sort of BDUs and two extra mags. I like to ignore the attention whores myself, but hey thats just me.
View Quote

Hey, I think I've seen this guy
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, not good about the Marines using them.  Just because my beloved Corps uses something does NOT make it good gear (See the MOLLE fiasco).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not good about the Marines using them.  Just because my beloved Corps uses something does NOT make it good gear (See the MOLLE fiasco).

Some units have gotten away from the Serpa though. When I deployed my entire organization carried pistols and we were all issued Safariland.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some units have gotten away from the Serpa though. When I deployed my entire organization carried pistols and we were all issued Safariland.
View Quote

Can you say what unit?  Good to hear by the way.  Did you see many SERPAs break before this deployment?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Carries a gun for protection, sits on his seat belt

ETA: Just read above. Still skeptical haha
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Can you say what unit?  Good to hear by the way.  Did you see many SERPAs break before this deployment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I left I've never seen a Serpa break, but I had seen three that got too much sand and crud in the trigger mechanism and had failures to draw. The Serpa is garbage due to the locking device and the hazard it presents to poorly trained troops.

Sadly enough, the herp derp is super strong even in the Corps and by the end of the tour over half of the organization had switched out their free perfectly fine Safarilands with Serpas because those were apparently cooler. We  even had a few SNCOS using those black uncle mike buckle shitty ones.  Some people you just can't help.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picture of said seatbelt locking device. I'm adamant about wearing my seatbelt.

ETA: In the photo that it looks like I'm sitting on it I just have it locked out extremely loose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just like vegans, they'll tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh, I always spot them from the unconcealed gun on their hip.

Wait, over the internet?  I don't know, magic probably

Crossfit is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Crossfit is awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh, I always spot them from the unconcealed gun on their hip.

Wait, over the internet?  I don't know, magic probably

Crossfit is awesome!

Let me tell you about my 5 Finger toe shoes.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Before I left I've never seen a Serpa break, but I had seen three that got too much sand and crud in the trigger mechanism and had failures to draw. The Serpa is garbage due to the locking device and the hazard it presents to poorly trained troops.

Sadly enough, the herp derp is super strong even in the Corps and by the end of the tour over half of the organization had switched out their free perfectly fine Safarilands with Serpas because those were apparently cooler. We  even had a few SNCOS using those black uncle mike buckle shitty ones.  Some people you just can't help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially some SNCOs  Thanks for the depressing report.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because I can snap that gun off that piece of shit holster faster than you can blink?

If you stick your chin out all the time, don't be surprised when someone plays a little chin music for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I can snap that gun off that piece of shit holster faster than you can blink?

If you stick your chin out all the time, don't be surprised when someone plays a little chin music for you.

I use to use a serpa until I saw this very thing happen in a weapon retention training. Now I use nothing but Safariland  on duty
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm all messed up then. I was only open carrying a PSP in a custom high ride leather holster. Guess I need to sell it n buy a 17 & some kydex ;)
View Quote

That's what I'm figuring. I have an XD and a leather holster I wet formed for the first level of retention, have a strap that goes around the grip for a second, and looking up how to boil leather or if I should go with a plastic for a third retention level above the slide (sorry, don't know the technical name, I just try and make what works).
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I use to use a serpa until I saw this very thing happen in a weapon retention training. Now I use nothing but Safariland  on duty
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trend in this thread.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got rid of my personally owned Serpas too. Now I use molded kydex or an IWB hybrid off duty. Serpas are shit
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top