BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guess I have to buy an M&P, then.  I already have an XDM, a Glock, and a 1911.  Must ensure I have something for everyone to hate!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

No. They work well. Better grip angle than a Glock, for me. The trigger is....striker.

The Glock and M&P fanbois seem to dump on it to validate their choices. The 1911 fanbois dump on it, too, but they dump on everything.

I guess I have to buy an M&P, then.  I already have an XDM, a Glock, and a 1911.  Must ensure I have something for everyone to hate!

Why not just pick one and get good with it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
My first handgun was an xd40 and I OC'd that in a serpa for about 2 years. I didn't like either but I didn't know much back then and I was pretty much stuck with the xd since it was the only one I found where someone was willing to sell to a 19 year old ftf.

I trained with what I had and became proficient.

Then I turned 21, got my ccw and switched to a g19 in a desantis. Much better fit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So is the XD crap too

No. They work well. Better grip angle than a Glock, for me. The trigger is....striker.

The Glock and M&P fanbois seem to dump on it to validate their choices. The 1911 fanbois dump on it, too, but they dump on everything.

Variety is the spice of life.  

Honestly, I don't shoot nearly enough these days.  Mostly I shoot my XDM when I go out, as that's the gun I generally carry.

If a 1911 would hold 13 rounds of .45ACP, I'd probably spend most of my time shooting that and use it for carry.  It's my favorite gun, but IMO it's too big and carries too few rounds for a practical CCW gun.  I know there are 9MM's that are more compact and carry more rounds, but my first pistol was 45ACP, and since I reload, I just kept buying 45's.  I don't feel the need to add more calibers to my reloading hobby...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't really care, dude.  Just noticing a trend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And everyone should do what you like because?

A trend huh?  Read one post on some board and it's a trend?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just like vegans, they'll tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh, I always spot them from the unconcealed gun on their hip.

Wait, over the internet?  I don't know, magic probably

Just like vegans, they'll tell you.

Not really.  It's the ones against who are usually stirring the shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The ALS holster is just as susceptible to lockup failure as the Serpa is. Serpa seems cheaper, but is minimalistic too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only people that talk about open carry more than the OC guys are the anti OC guys.  .
View Quote

Ain't that the damn truth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because he wants to believe he is special, just like his momma tells him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How to spot an anti open carry guy on a gun forum.....

They can't stop talking about open carry.
View Quote

Now that is a true statement.  99% of opencarry threads I have read were started by anti-open carry people.  Its rather funny actually
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's funny how people went from circle jerking over a holster to calling it crap.
View Quote

Where is the SF pic thread?  I'm sure I saw quite a few SERPAs being used.  Maybe the OP should try to school them in the gear they use, since he is the only one professional enough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where is the SF pic thread?  I'm sure I saw quite a few SERPAs being used.  Maybe the OP should try to school them in the gear they use, since he is the only one professional enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny how people went from circle jerking over a holster to calling it crap.

Ah, the "if the military uses it, it's beyond reproach" tactic.  Beats forming a cogent argument of your own.  MARSOC bought those shitty 1911s and their shitty quality was exposed in gory detail on this very forum but military = BESTEST, DERP!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, as I said earlier in the thread, nearly every time I see an OC guy in my AO, it's XD/SERPA.  

Of course, I did miss the guy in my AO OCing on his Segway but OC is never about attention seeking....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Dear O.P.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
We should hang out and go shooting

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ah, the "if the military uses it, it's beyond reproach" tactic.  Beats forming a cogent argument of your own.  MARSOC bought those shitty 1911s and their shitty quality was exposed in gory detail on this very forum but military = BESTEST, DERP!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You answer my question about the XD "design defect" with a quote from some random toolbag, and then give somebody shit about forming their own argument?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glock 17 with 124gr Federal HST riding in a Safariland 6360 Level III..... For work.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p351/CotyReinau/IMAG0220_zps9s2ysxbc.jpg

ETA: On a high ride adapter. Fuck the UBL.
ETA2: Where I work 99% of the guys run a Serpa, makes me worry a bit.
View Quote

Where do you work?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You answer my question about the XD "design defect" with a quote from some random toolbag, and then give somebody shit about forming their own argument?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, DocGKR is very well thought of in military and LE circles.  Check out the rest of this threads there.  He's a prominent ballistician.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually, DocGKR is very well thought of in military and LE circles.  Check out the rest of this threads there.  He's a prominent ballistician.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point stands.  "SF uses it" is every bit as valid as "DocGKR doesn't use it".
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
What have I carried in a SERPA?

XD9
XD45
Glock 22
Beretta 92F
Beretta 96FS

No issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I OC a Sig P220 in a Serpa.
I OC a 1911 ina Safariland with ta thumb break.
I CC a Kahr PM40 in a Galco IWB with no retention.
I OC a XD9 in a Serpa.

Does that mean I'm only 1/2 fucked up?

Fuck the OPs opinion. I carry what I want the way I want in what I want.  It's my ass on the line. Nobody elses, so you don't get a vote, CPT DoucheKnuckle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Just like SEALs or Crossfit, they will tell you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My point stands.  "SF uses it" is every bit as valid as "DocGKR doesn't use it".
View Quote

Actually, a lot of times in the military, you are handed shit gear.  If you don't believe that, talk to anyone who went through the MOLLE gear fiasco.  Happily, there's folks that do test this gear and see other folks break it like say SouthNarc in the very video I linked to.  However, if you feel better; just go on saying it's opinion about the SERPA and it's just fine and they never lock up with the gun in the holster.  Chant it a few times every day just to make sure.  

It's amazing how wedded people get to inanimate objects.  I'd change out holsters in a second if the one I was using was found to be defective or if something better came out.  Speaking as someone who has been effectively a one handed shooter for a near year span, I'm big fan of weapons that are fine with one handed manipulations as well.  I'm not wedded to my Glock either; if I had the money, I'd be on a CZ Accu Shadow like white on rice.  However, I'm heavily invested in Glocks and training means more than collecting to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand the Serpa hate. I have two of them, and they are great holsters. The safety claims are bullshit; if someone is too stupid to safely use a Serpa, they shouldn't have a gun.

I do understand why some people don't like open carry. I wouldn't do it in the city, where it might alarm people and/or make you a target for some hoodrat who wants your piece, but then I would never choose to live in a city, and try to avoid them as much as possible. In rural areas, there is nothing wrong with open carry.

I am also not a fan of the XD, but I wouldn't bust on someone else's choice to carry one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While I think Serpas are crap, the Marines use (used?) them and I still see a lot of cops using them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I almost never OC, but if I did, what should I use instead of Serpa that's not a thumb-break retention strap?

You should not worry about what a random blogger guy on the internet says you should or shouldn't use.

Yeah, fuck those guys.  SERPA ALL THE WAY!
While I think Serpas are crap, the Marines use (used?) them and I still see a lot of cops using them.  

This and some units in the army use them for secondary carry on the IBA. Not my first choice though.  The only time I used to open carry was on the way to the range. Now that I know there are gun supporters that get worked up about it I carry my two colt SAA Yosemite Sam stile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't understand the Serpa hate. I have two of them, and they are great holsters. The safety claims are bullshit; if someone is too stupid to safely use a Serpa, they shouldn't have a gun.
View Quote

Did you watch the video where the SERPA locked up?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Every time I see someone OC'ing in Northern VA, it's a SERPA.  Haven't ran into the guy that OC's on a Segway while grocery shopping yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, your forum must be higher-end than around here.  Just about everyone I see OCing in these parts has a Hi-Point, or maybe a Ruger P-series for the double-wide crowd... stuffed into 3 bucks worth of gunshow nylon.  

Every time I see someone OC'ing in Northern VA, it's a SERPA.  Haven't ran into the guy that OC's on a Segway while grocery shopping yet.

Ah that explains it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Working at a gun store, I would say 80%+ of all open carry folks use the shitty nylon Uncle Miles or Bulldog one size fits all holster. Some choad was OC'ing a Beretta 92 with a 20 round mag in it, and he had to keep putting the holster back in position since he was using the clip attachment to his shorts.

Most retarded one was a fat fuck wearing a war belt, with six double mag pouches, a drop leg with 3x33 round mags, and a Serpa drop leg containing a Glock that had been raped by a wood burner. To top it off he had a 33 round mag in the gun and was banging it on everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. But did you know that the Marine Corps actually tested the SERPA before they adopted it, and they didn't have any problems with that? People get too worked up over isolated incidents. ANY mechanical device can potentially fail. And if a person was rolling around in enough mud or sand for the SERPA to lock up, there is a good chance that the pistol wouldn't work, either. And since I don't plan to roll around in the mud with my SERPA, it's irrelevant to me. And if I'm out riding an ATV in the mud (and carrying), my pistol is in a shoulder holster, and under my coat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I always associate open carriers with S&W Sigmas and Ruger auto loaders. And if you ask, they'll swear they're better than 90% of anything else on the market. Fuckin' love to hear that shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I kinda like my serpa.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where do you work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 17 with 124gr Federal HST riding in a Safariland 6360 Level III..... For work.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p351/CotyReinau/IMAG0220_zps9s2ysxbc.jpg

ETA: On a high ride adapter. Fuck the UBL.
ETA2: Where I work 99% of the guys run a Serpa, makes me worry a bit.

Where do you work?

In the armored truck business.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No. But did you know that the Marine Corps actually tested the SERPA before they adopted it, and they didn't have any problems with that? People get too worked up over isolated incidents. ANY mechanical device can potentially fail. And if a person was rolling around in enough mud or sand for the SERPA to lock up, there is a good chance that the pistol wouldn't work, either. And since I don't plan to roll around in the mud with my SERPA, it's irrelevant to me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. But did you know that the Marine Corps actually tested the SERPA before they adopted it, and they didn't have any problems with that? People get too worked up over isolated incidents. ANY mechanical device can potentially fail. And if a person was rolling around in enough mud or sand for the SERPA to lock up, there is a good chance that the pistol wouldn't work, either. And since I don't plan to roll around in the mud with my SERPA, it's irrelevant to me.  

Did you hear about the time the Marine Corps tested the MOLLE pack so hard and it failed miserably in Afghanistan?  Did you hear about the times the Osprey killed Marines and the Marine blamed each incident on pilot error?  Did you hear about the time Colt submitted a pistol for MARSOC and the Marine adopted it even though it didn't make it through the acceptance testing?

Video link
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I always associate open carriers with S&W Sigmas and Ruger auto loaders. And if you ask, they'll swear they're better than 90% of anything else on the market. Fuckin' love to hear that shit.
View Quote

Perhaps a poll is in order. I see more people open carry with revolvers and 1911s than with Sigmas or Ruger autos.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Perhaps a poll is in order. I see more people open carry with revolvers and 1911s than with Sigmas or Ruger autos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be interesting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Two words:  SERPA and XD.
View Quote

Hey, look a Gucci gun snob. Imagine that.

(I do own an XD but not a SERPA and I dont OC)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right; I do recommend Glock or Walther or S&W 9mms for new gun owners.  Definitely a Gucci gun snob
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're right; I do recommend Glock or Walther or S&W 9mms for new gun owners.  Definitely a Gucci gun snob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id rather them have an XD and a SERPA than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#39]
At least if they ND with an XD, they'll only put a hole in themselves and/or the floor.

If they were using a Glock with a serpa, they have the potential to take out a 5m radius with an ND.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not a fan of the XD's but that has more to do with the company selling them than with the guns themselves. I have both Glock and M&P and I like them both, am comfortable with both, and happy with both. My wife prefers the M&P because it (the grip) doesn't tear up her hands as much. I admit I find the M&P more comfortable to shoot as well, but the Glock doesn't bother me and I still find it comfortable, just not AS comfortable.

As for open carry, it doesn't bother me unless someone is being stupid about it. I don't open carry myself very often, but I've always preferred the thumb-drive retention systems. I don't know if they are any better about not getting locked up than the Serpa, but it's a much more natural draw for me. I'm just not a fan of the Serpa release system. I've been using the 5.11 thumb-drive holsters and so far I haven't had any issues with them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's amazing how wedded people get to inanimate objects.
View Quote

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not "wedded" to anything.  I've never OC'd, never owned a Serpa, and no longer own any XDs.  I just think you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not "wedded" to anything.  I've never OC'd, never owned a Serpa, and no longer own any XDs.  I just think you're full of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey roger that, never mind any supporting evidence.  I'm a big fat liar and an overall mean person.  Do you feel better now?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hey roger that, never mind any supporting evidence.  I'm a big fat liar and an overall mean person.  Do you feel better now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A little, thanks.  Now if you would just go find somewhere else to pimp your blog, that would be great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A little, thanks.  Now if you would just go find somewhere else to pimp your blog, that would be great.
View Quote

The very moment you get mod status, let me know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

I was going to do a trade for one this weekend
View Quote

I thought they were pretty cool.  Owned a few.  Traded every last one for some reason... but they shoot well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Many would like to be able to rack the slide using a compromised and/or one handed grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many would like to be able to rack the slide using a compromised and/or one handed grip.

I found the safety lock of the slide to be a plus - if you get into a scuffle or the gun drops - it won't come back further than a "press check" - keeping your round chambered instead of causing a possible jam.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting. I carry an XD and I use a SERPA. I also OC when it suits me.

I've never had a problem with either the gun or the holster. I got the gun because I've shot one before and I liked it, and I got the holster because it was available at the store and I needed a retention holster.

Whatever. It's not bad equipment and I have no reason to spend more money on additional equipment. If the pegs me as an OC guy in his eyes, I'm guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem with either the gun or the holster. I got the gun because I've shot one before and I liked it, and I got the holster because it was available at the store and I needed a retention holster.

Whatever. It's not bad equipment and I have no reason to spend more money on additional equipment. If the pegs me as an OC guy in his eyes, I'm guilty as charged.
View Quote

Do you compete or train with this gear?  Demographic question and if it works for your needs, enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you compete or train with this gear?  Demographic question and if it works for your needs, enjoy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot 3-gun and IPSC with the same rig. I don't train with it now as much as I have in the past (lack of funds and time), but I am proficient with the gear that I use.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top