Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 1:46:08 AM EDT
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/04/16/kickstarter-has-history-of-censoring-prolife-projects-n1824854

After Censoring Gosnell Movie, Kickstarter Rejects Another Pro-Life Project

But it seems the Gosnell Movie isn't the only pro-life project either rejected or censored by Kickstarter. Just a few short days after McElhiney and McAleer moved their film to Indiegogo another pro-life project was rejected by the company.

Full story at link above.

ETA: after several comments I will say it here I nor no one else I have seen is advocating government involvement to insure "equality". It is their company and can do what they want but they espouse that they are A-political yet are not. As consumers we have the right to boycott  and notify other consumers of such faults.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Their company their rules...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
yup. heard about this a couple weeks ago when the couple were making the radio talk show rounds. They also made Frac Nation. Totally shows that Gasland is BS.

Anyway, typical lefty. Freedom of speech and tolerance. As long as i like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Its their company and they have the right to help fund the projects they want. Don't like it? Don't use their service

Whats the alternative, have the government force them to help fund projects they don't agree with?

People only like freedom when it works out in their favor
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

yup. heard about this a couple weeks ago when the couple were making the radio talk show rounds. They also made Frac Nation. Totally shows that Gasland is BS.

View Quote

Kickstarter isn't a government entity therefore you have no rights to their service.

If there was a conservative crowdfunding company that denied abortionist documentaries everyone here would applaud them.

Freedom as long as I like it indeed
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its their company and they have the right to help fund the projects they want. Don't like it? Don't use their service

View Quote

Whats the alternative, have the government force them to help fund projects they don't agree with?

Except Kickstarter has stated that they are non political. except they allow tons on leftist agenda projects. If you claim one thing but do the other expect criticism.

Also Whats your problem with people letting others know their leftist ties. It is their business but consumers can tell other consumers about bullcrap tactics and policies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except Kickstarter has stated that they are non political. except they allow tons on leftist agenda projects. If you claim one thing but do the other expect criticism.    

Also Whats your problem with people letting others know their leftist ties. It is their business but consumers can tell other consumers about bullcrap tactics and policies.

"Kickstarter argued the description of the film submitted to the website, specifically the wording "pledge because of 1000s of babies stabbed to death," needed to be altered in order to comply with community standards."

"Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler denies censoring Gosnell Movie and said the company was simply asking for compliance with community guidelines."

Putting "1000s of babies stabbed to death" is some pretty inflammatory description for your pitch and Kickstarter deemed it against their guidelines. We'll never know if Kickstarter was hiding behind their policy as some kind of leftist agenda since the people immediately got on their crosses and started screaming "censorship!" without trying to comply.

Smart move on their part, they're getting the attention (money) they wanted on their Indiegogo fund. They're basically targeting their demographic for money now instead of just letting it marinate on Kickstarter

ETA: I noticed "1000s of babies stabbed to death" is changed to "In a 30 year killing spree, it is thought he killed 1000s of babies" on the Indiegogo pitch. Most curious huh?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This tactic is working out pretty well for the LGBT community. Turn about is fair play IMO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Kickstarter argued the description of the film submitted to the website, specifically the wording "pledge because of 1000s of babies stabbed to death," needed to be altered in order to comply with community standards."

"Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler denies censoring Gosnell Movie and said the company was simply asking for compliance with community guidelines."

Putting "1000s of babies stabbed to death" is some pretty inflammatory description for your pitch and Kickstarter deemed it against their guidelines. We'll never know if Kickstarter was hiding behind their policy as some kind of leftist agenda since the people immediately got on their crosses and started screaming "censorship!" without trying to comply.

Smart move on their part, they're getting the attention (money) they wanted on their Indiegogo fund. They're basically targeting their demographic for money now instead of just letting it marinate on Kickstarter

ETA: I noticed "1000s of babies stabbed to death" is changed to "In a 30 year killing spree, it is thought he killed 1000s of babies" on the Indiegogo pitch. Most curious huh?

You know he was found guilty of such. Is it inflammatory to say ted bundy butchered 30 + people, no it is a fact. Only people who would find it inflammatory are those who sympathize with him. I am starting to wonder what is your angle.

ETA: No where did I say they need the Feds or any government agency to step in. What am I doing that is negative by letting others know.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, so bakers and photographers and diners shouldn't be forced to do business with customers they disagree with/object to?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wait, so bakers and photographers and diners shouldn't be forced to do business with customers they disagree with/object to?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But wait Customers will go to social media and other outlets and make a stink about it and show hypocrisy. It is called free market. Yes you can sell your product to whoever or not to whoever you like. But when you champion yourself  as a-political than expect backlash when you clearly violate your own declared principles, or perform hypocrisy. Free market goes both ways. Unless you think consumers have no right to complain.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. You guys love this rule.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But you must bake anatomically correct cock and ball cakes for gay weddings.  Because the law.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have forgotten the hypocritical nature of GD at large.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm positive he will be strangely silent on that matter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kickstarter isn't a government entity therefore you have no rights to their service.

If there was a conservative crowdfunding company that denied abortionist documentaries everyone here would applaud them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So wait....was the bakery that was forced by a judge to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding a "government bakery" then?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget Antigun IndieGoGo too.  Both of them can (COC Violation)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So wait....was the bakery that was forced by a judge to bake a cake for a homosexual wedding a "government bakery" then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must have missed the cake thread. If the jist of it was the government forced them to serve a particular customer I disagree with that ruling.

No one should tell a private entity how to conduct their own business, if you don't like it go somewhere else which is the core of my argument in this thread.

I did liked the string of logic that if I find something to be worded inflammatory then I must agree with it Thats brilliant
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have I missed the part where someone here was calling for government intervention?  Yes, their company their rules.  Complaints and public opinion make them change those rules.  Rumor has it - getting the word out helps people know what companies to support, boycott, whatever.  That's all this is.  Where is the supposed hypocrisy some of you are calling out?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Honestly, with how that was worded.....I'd probably have booted it too.  I don't play with extremism.  If you want to make a pro-life film, go ahead, but you don't need to go all militant.  

It's just like the guys who show up to college campuses with a 2 story, 4 sided box that has images of dead babies all over it......it's one thing to have a message.  It's a whole other thing to go derp with it.  They derped, and the people who submitted this film derped big time.  

Be couth, or expect people to get PO'd about things you did, not your message (which is the intent).  

I ripped the guys with the 2 story box of gore a new one for what they did for a good 10 mins, and I take the same position with this.  Get rid of the extreme language, images, and all that shit....and I bet your message would come across better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Their business, their rules.

Their money, their rules.

Thinking that you're entitled to their money is bullshit.

Don't like that you got denied? Suck it up and fund your own damn movie.

sounds like Kickstarter was exercising their 1st amendment freedoms.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Good for them. Crowdsourcing should only apply to affirmation, intersectional projects that provide a safe space to LGBT*QAIA and POC like C+=: https://github.com/Feminist-Software-Foundation/C-plus-Equality
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I must have missed the cake thread. If the jist of it was the government forced them to serve a particular customer I disagree with that ruling.

No one should tell a private entity how to conduct their own business, if you don't like it go somewhere else which is the core of my argument in this thread.

I did liked the string of logic that if I find something to be worded inflammatory then I must agree with it Thats brilliant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the wedding photographer that was forced by the New Mexico Supreme Court to pay $7000 to a gay couple for declining to photograph their same sex marriage.  They were told by the court that surrendering their freedom is 'the price of citizenship.'
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If there was a conservative crowdfunding company that denied abortionist documentaries everyone here would applaud them they would be condemned by the media and investigated by the DOJ.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was a conservative crowdfunding company that denied abortionist documentaries everyone here would applaud them they would be condemned by the media and investigated by the DOJ.

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:43:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Honestly, with how that was worded.....I'd probably have booted it too.  I don't play with extremism.  If you want to make a pro-life film, go ahead, but you don't need to go all militant.  

View Quote

Exactly the point. Kickstarter asked them to change it. They refused, cried "Discrimination!", and declared Kickstarter a baby-killing communist lefty. They claim Kickstarter also discriminated against other pro-life projects but there is no links or evidence listed in the article

But drama and press is good way to fund your movie, very clever

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

But you must bake anatomically correct cock and ball cakes for gay weddings.  Because the law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Those cost $1,200, and I am backlogged for 18 months.

If you'd still like my services, you are welcome to wait.

I require a 50% non-refundable deposit when you place your order."

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:47:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Indigogo is NO better.

I was responsible (in a way) for them actually POSTING their anti-gun policy

I signed up when developing a mag, they had NO POSTED policy about firearm parts or accessories, only actual firearms,

About 4 weeks in they locked it up, no notice to me. THEN

They stated they would KEEP the contributors $$ for up to 6-8 weeks AFTER the scheduled end of the fund raising , "to invesitgate"

I raised all kinds of heck , they did refund within a week.

I kinda suspected all those places were commie hippies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Ooh, yeah, my main camera shit the bed yesterday. Can I do it on this disposable?"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
"Kickstarter
no gun related projects
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if I have a cake store I can't refuse service to a gay couple?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]
They're all at least psuedo leftist in nature. That being said, their company their rules.

I have a Kickstarter running atm that is slightly related to things we're interested in that was approved by them. And I have seen several others that are at least on the periphery of the Second Amendment and firearms loving world, granted they rarely get funded. Go search some keywords and you'll see several projects, at least old unfunded ones.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Indigogo is NO better.

I was responsible (in a way) for them actually POSTING their anti-gun policy

I signed up when developing a mag, they had NO POSTED policy about firearm parts or accessories, only actual firearms,

About 4 weeks in they locked it up, no notice to me. THEN

They stated they would KEEP the contributors $$ for up to 6-8 weeks AFTER the scheduled end of the fund raising , "to invesitgate"

I raised all kinds of heck , they did refund within a week.

I kinda suspected all those places were commie hippies.
View Quote

We should talk.  They CRUSHED my project after I signed on with them and had raised $50K - because I had firearms ACCESSORIES in my rewards packages.  No knives or weapons - flashlights and optics (including binoculars).  This was clearly okay according to their terms, but they stood their ground.  They seized 12% of my funds raised because I failed to hit my targets (go figure), and I seriously considered pursuing it.  I would be interested if our projects happened around the same time.  It's one thing if we both hit them when they were adjusting their policy.  It's another if they intentionally left it vague - and seized funds over a broad period of time.

Here's a nice article about ‘Lights Out Saga’ Faces Funding Hurdles Over Gun Company Sponsorship
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This tactic is working out pretty well for the LGBT community. Turn about is fair play IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's the Communist way.
View Quote

I've dealt with the pro-life crowd in the past, particularly back when I owned a laundromat that had a bulletin board. They put up pictures of mangled fetuses on the board. I appreciate the cause, but this is not the kind of thing I want to decorate my business. It took threats to make them stop, too.

I'd have to see the true version of what they said, not the version they sanitized for townhall.com. Plenty of pro-lifers are shitheads, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Have I missed the part where someone here was calling for government intervention?  Yes, their company their rules.  Complaints and public opinion make them change those rules.  Rumor has it - getting the word out helps people know what companies to support, boycott, whatever.  That's all this is.  Where is the supposed hypocrisy some of you are calling out?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Jesus Christ some of you just don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Yet, the government steps in when a private company refuses service to a gay person or leftist interest, it is only legal to refuse service to a conservative.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yet, the government steps in when a private company refuses service to a gay person or leftist interest, it is only legal to refuse service to a conservative.
View Quote

Oh please. One damn story about a stupid fucking cake gets brought up every single time one of these threads comes up...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Although I don't like that Kickstarter didn't fund the project, this is a good point.
And since I saw it mentioned... I don't think the photographer should have been punished.

Quoted:

That is a good point.  I think it's time we stopped giving in to tactics like that.  Let free market decide, no?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's the Communist way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's the Communist way.
View Quote

How exactly is their exercising their 1st Amendment rights of Freedom of Association equate to communism, exactly?

I been thinkin about this all morning and still don't see it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
How exactly is their exercising their 1st Amendment rights of Freedom of Association equate to communism, exactly?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the Communist way.

It is the hypocrisy of the Left that preaches tolerance and diversity as the enlightened truth, and yells "1st amendment" every time they stick their own foot in the their mouth; then, are the first to ban any and all opposing points of view.

That hypocrisy is the Communist way.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I've dealt with the pro-life crowd in the past, particularly back when I owned a laundromat that had a bulletin board. They put up pictures of mangled fetuses on the board. I appreciate the cause, but this is not the kind of thing I want to decorate my business. It took threats to make them stop, too.

I'd have to see the true version of what they said, not the version they sanitized for townhall.com. Plenty of pro-lifers are shitheads, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the Communist way.

Gosnell Goes beyond abortion though. The majority of the public have no idea what he did. He killed post birth, This information has been ignored and practically censored from the general public. The Abortion topic is split but I would assume most people are not on the fence about killing small children outside of the womb.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#46]
someone needs to look up the definition of 'censorship'.

and probably 'capitalism' while you're at it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Censorship isn't applicable to private businesses - with some exceptions (EEO, for example).  Papers can choose not to print your story.  Photographers should be able to choose their clients.  Kickstarter can choose not to have projects that involve firearms (while making a killing off action & adventure movies, but I digress).  The conversation changes when it becomes the government - whether intervention or them censoring content.  I don't think that's what this conversation is about though.  

Capitalism?  They have the right to do that, and I have the right not to spend my money with them.  Kickstarter and IndieGoGo WILL lose money from me (probably $20K to $50K) because of their anti-freedom stances.  So be it.  

I'm not following who you think needs to look up definitions?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh please. One damn story about a stupid fucking cake gets brought up every single time one of these threads comes up...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/22/New-Mexico-Court-Christian-Photographer-Cannot-Refuse-Gay-Marriage-Ceremony-Next-Stop-U-S-Supreme-Court

The US Supreme Court has refused to hear this case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Censorship defined by the leftist ACLU. Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups.

Once again capitalism allows consumers to judge products and share their experiences with others. I am judging the Product of Kickstarter and their so called values that they espouse. It is no different than letting other gun owners no about Dicks sporting goods betrayal and buckling to leftists. The left will  boycott those they disagree with which is their right as long as they do not get the government involved. Yet we have people on here who will talk others down for raising concerns about leftist companies that act contrary to conservative ideas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Their business, their rules.

Their money, their rules.

Thinking that you're entitled to their money is bullshit.

Don't like that you got denied? Suck it up and fund your own damn movie.

sounds like Kickstarter was exercising their 1st amendment freedoms.
View Quote

Exactly so, and now the good people of Arfcom are exercising their first amendment rights to call them hypocrites and leftists.

You see how that works, or do I need to use smaller words?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top