BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just for kicks and giggles, I grabbed my HK45 and aimed it at my computer screen with that pic full screen.

I could see the fiber optics just fine when aimed at the truck, and the iron sights silhouetted just fine at the brighter background.

Now this isn't an optimal test because a computer screen is emitting more light, but at the same time in that scenario I have no doubt whatsoever I could engage a target.

Also, at 5-10 yards from that truck, the flashlight would work just dandy at illuminating that entire truck

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool. But since we're playing the hypothetical game say your target is silhouetted and their cover is too. Maybe they are behind a car door, you can see the car, the car door, and your target shooting at you. Think street lights. Pull up your non night sights and be 100% your round will hit your target and not any other part of the silhouette that has light behind it.

Fuck it, maybe I am not just being main stream because that could never happen!

http://www.miboul.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/car.jpg

Can you see your targets? Could you accurately engage with black sights?

Give me 10 seconds to acquire my sights in the light, then walk it over to my target sure. Give me 1.5 seconds to put my already acquired sights on my target. The only thing at stake is a life. Why be cool and have night sights? Fucking wing it! Because that is what carrying concealed is all about, right!? Just a bunch of rank amateurs going with the flow and giving bad advice because they paid however much it cost to get a CCL in their state and wear a gun around.

Just for kicks and giggles, I grabbed my HK45 and aimed it at my computer screen with that pic full screen.

I could see the fiber optics just fine when aimed at the truck, and the iron sights silhouetted just fine at the brighter background.

Now this isn't an optimal test because a computer screen is emitting more light, but at the same time in that scenario I have no doubt whatsoever I could engage a target.

Also, at 5-10 yards from that truck, the flashlight would work just dandy at illuminating that entire truck

Wat?

ETA:
Damn!
Missed calling page ownage!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If it is dark enough that I can not see two white dots, then it is too dark for me to be taking shots willy nilly.    Now with night sights, I have three green dots fucking up my night vision.     Fiber optic sights would be a different story.

View Quote
Sometimes the target is illuminated but the shooter is in the dark, he can clearly see and identify the attacker but unable to see the sights in the dark, night sights would be handy in that situation.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
With the majority of CCW shootings only a few rounds are fired.  That's why I only load three rounds in my Glock 32's 13 round magazines.  Why would I want to add extra weight to the pistol for something I am probably not going to need in a gun fight.  If you need more than three rounds, hopefully God is on your side, right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
How the fuck does tiny tritium vials fuck up your night vision!?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With the majority of CCW shootings only a few rounds are fired.  That's why I only load three rounds in my Glock 32's 13 round magazines.  Why would I want to add extra weight to the pistol for something I am probably not going to need in a gun fight.  If you need more than three rounds, hopefully God is on your side, right?
View Quote

It's unfair to have an edge over a bad guy.
Perhaps I should start a thread questioning the validity of a RDS on a carbine equipped with a bright white light.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread makes it pretty clear who has and has not shot in low light conditions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This thread makes it pretty clear who has and has not shot in low light conditions.
View Quote

QFT     Go shoot a night match, and you'll figure it out.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How the fuck does tiny tritium vials fuck up your night vision!?
View Quote

I guess if your natural night vision was as good as a PVS14 they could be detrimental...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Threads like this remind me that many gun owners are ignorant fucks and, worse yet, they are proud of their ignorance.

No. No. I don't want to acquire the sights faster and have a better sight picture across a range of lighting conditions! That's just silly.

Hitlerverse
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In a real deal self defense gunfight, I doubt many people would even look at the damn sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

In a real deal self defense gunfight, I doubt many people would even look at the damn sights.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you would shoot at a guy in  a room where the light was so low that you could not make out normal sights, and prefer to have your night vision further degraded by a green light?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When a mean animal is to far away to point shoot and a light might give away your position or cause it to charge you. Dog on meth, rabid dog, rabid coyote or any other animal.

When you have been cold cocked from behind, lost your light when you fell, come to with the guys after your wife, kids, etc.

Lots of cases where being able to see your sights might be necessary.

So you would shoot at a guy in  a room where the light was so low that you could not make out normal sights, and prefer to have your night vision further degraded by a green light?

Funny...spent three nights shooting in the dark last fall.

Never once was my "night vision" hampered by the Trijcion HDs on my G19. And they are bright.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And those who get real defensive over their $150.00 Trijicon HD's!  (oh, plus the $25-$30 local install lol...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Threads like this sure make it easy to identify those who have had formal training.
Why not give yourself every possible advantage in a life or death situation?

And those who get real defensive over their $150.00 Trijicon HD's!  (oh, plus the $25-$30 local install lol...)

Swing and a miss.

I purchased two sets of HDs for about $110/ea and installed them myself.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have.    But I knew I was shooting at paper.

In my house I am not going to pop off rounds at something I can not see.     If there is enough light to identify the target, night sites are useless.
I keep a light on all my guns anyways.    Night sites do not help at all.    Now I could see an argument for fiber optic sites.

I have had 4 pistols with night sites, but I did not buy the gun because they were there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In what scenarios would you possibly need them, where it's dark enough to use, and the threat is far enough away to need sights - where it's safe to send rounds down range...

Humor me.

(Hidden agenda: I really want to put a fiber optic front on my CCW - T 'effing' Os aren't an option. )
never shot in low light eh?

I have.    But I knew I was shooting at paper.

In my house I am not going to pop off rounds at something I can not see.     If there is enough light to identify the target, night sites are useless.
I keep a light on all my guns anyways.    Night sites do not help at all.    Now I could see an argument for fiber optic sites.

I have had 4 pistols with night sites, but I did not buy the gun because they were there.

I should imagine that if I was going to put a light on my pistol so I could go looking that the night sights are so I can aim better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone who doesn't see the benefit in NS, has never practiced in low light conditions with their pistol.

That's bad because a good percentage of gunfights happen in low light conditions.

IMHO, it's not very smart to intentionally put yourself at a lesser capability.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay...... I'm standing in a dark cave 20 yards from the very sunny entrance. There's a "neckbeard (whatever the hell that is)" standing right outside the cave shooting at me with his Marlin model 60 and a shit ton of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#16]
This one is way too easy.

To truly answer this question, we must first start with this: Why do people put sights on their CCW?

Ok, so why wouldn't you put NS on your CCW?

I like them because in conditions where I otherwise couldn't be one hundred percent certain, they tell me where my muzzle is pointed. Also, because freedom, and capitalism, and America. And because I earn my money, so I can spend it how I see fit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Because taping a light stick to the slide is difficult?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Besides the obvious, night sights help me to orient my hand properly when picking my gun up off the night stand in the middle of the night. Kind of a safety device.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My 1911 has white nail polish I borrowed from my daughter.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I would say one person trying to kill me is SHTF enough for me to want every advantage possible...

Speaking of, anyone have suggestions for good night sights for an M&P 9mm Shield?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What if you had a guy yelling "I'm going to rape you!" from 35 yards away carrying a broadsword?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you had a guy yelling "I'm going to rape you!" from 35 yards away carrying a broadsword?

hed be thinking,, "i should have bought some fuckin nitesites... now im fucked!:
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because that's loser talk. We're talking about what you would most likely run into, and the fact that you won't even use your sights most likely because your gun will be in someones gut. This is real talk. Real tactical talk. I shoot my targets at the 0 yard line on the range. If you can't do that then you ain't shit and don't deserve any extra edge....

I guess that is the message we want to send?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Threads like this sure make it easy to identify those who have had formal training.

Because that's loser talk. We're talking about what you would most likely run into, and the fact that you won't even use your sights most likely because your gun will be in someones gut. This is real talk. Real tactical talk. I shoot my targets at the 0 yard line on the range. If you can't do that then you ain't shit and don't deserve any extra edge....

I guess that is the message we want to send?

If we're talking about what we're most likely to run into, then don't even bother carrying as gun. Most social situations do not require a gun.
However if your goal is to be prepared, you may want to think of all variables...night sights being one of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#23]
They are easier to see when I am drunk.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the pretty colors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Great thread; I can't distinguish the herp from the derp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Because my carry gun is my do-all gun, and I really don't know what situations I might find myself in with it, and it doesn't really cost me anything in portability or weight to be able to see where my gun is pointed in the dark? Also makes for easy location of said firearm in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are lots of situations that are not *complete* darkness, but that may be dark enough for the night sights to come into play.

It's entirely possible to know you have a threat to engage during a very dark condition.

If nothing else, they can get you a sight index prior to activating illumination, when the light goes on you'd better be ready to react immediately.
View Quote

This guy gets it.

Others here obviously have no night shooting training or experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Hmmn . . . in any scenario where you can identify your target as a threat but not see clearly and rapidly see little black pieces of metal on the end of your pistol.      

Night sights are a relatively cheap benefit for any carry gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Because the factory plastic Glock sights suck ass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When a mean animal is to far away to point shoot and a light might give away your position or cause it to charge you. Dog on meth, rabid dog, rabid coyote or any other animal.

When you have been cold cocked from behind, lost your light when you fell, come to with the guys after your wife, kids, etc.

Lots of cases where being able to see your sights might be necessary.
View Quote

I LOL'd.

As mentioned, they have no downside.  
They don't make the gun larger, harder to conceal, weigh more or shoot differently.

But they could be of use.

Oh, plus, wait until your eyes get past 40.

If I could put a fucking missile lock heads up display with audible confirmation on my CCW, I would.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh for fuck sake, they don't cost much more, and don't take up any more room or add any more weight, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU NOT HAVE THEM?

Sucks to bleed out, but doing so while thinking "damn I wish I had just sprung for the night sights"....is just stupid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Go do some low light or night shooting. You will then realize how valuable night sights are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In a room, I would not be using my sites.    Sounds stupid, but I am going to point shoot on anything within 4-5 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In what scenarios would you possibly need them, where it's dark enough to use, and the threat is far enough away to need sights - where it's safe to send rounds down range...

Humor me.

(Hidden agenda: I really want to put a fiber optic front on my CCW - T 'effing' Os aren't an option. )
I take it you have never fired your pistol in low light and have no training? If you are using a light often, I would say mostly, the target is illuminated but your sights are poorly illuminated, or not at all.  

It's true, go into a room with low light with your pistol. You can normally see the target but not your sights. That being said, I only have NS on one of my pistols and I never carry it.

In a room, I would not be using my sites.    Sounds stupid, but I am going to point shoot on anything within 4-5 yards.

and some bad guy has your kid with a knife to her throat and the only shot you have is a head shot at 7 yards.

Good luck not using your sights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, when I come into my house, the gun goes off of my hip and onto my nightstand.

God forbid, if I ever had to shoot someone, it would probably be when they're breaking into my house, at which point it is very nice to have quality night sights and a WML to identify the target.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I got halfway through page 1 and I removed my sights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Swing and a miss.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swing and a miss.

Glock will do it for $75 or so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I only have night sights on my CCW cause they look cool, and I can afford it.  

Sorry you can't afford to hang with the cool kids, OP.   #swag #jelly

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread makes me wonder why I bought my Colt New Agent.

Seriously, though, night sights are nice, but a lot of the night sight debate is age related.

I grew up without night sights.  Therefore I think they are a luxury.  A nice luxury, but still a luxury.  I don't have a cell phone either.

Am I a dinosaur?  Maybe so.

I have outlasted night sights.  Tritium has a half life of 12 years.  Yes, I have had night sights go dark with time.  Not a really big deal, I have to buy socks and underwear every few years also.

While night sights are nice, I recommend you learn to live without them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Better to have, then to need and not have?

It's not like they are a huge big cost, nor do they get in the way. They don't add weight.  What's the problem?

ETA:  I don't have NS on my pistols, but I also have not gotten around to it.  Not a huge problem for me, but I get why they are desired.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, if I were to CCW I don't think I would want to put my fate on that street lamp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This thread makes me wonder why I bought my Colt New Agent.

Seriously, though, night sights are nice, but a lot of the night sight debate is age related.

I grew up without night sights.  Therefore I think they are a luxury.  A nice luxury, but still a luxury.  I don't have a cell phone either.

Am I a dinosaur?  Maybe so.

I have outlasted night sights.  Tritium has a half life of 12 years.  Yes, I have had night sights go dark with time.  Not a really big deal, I have to buy socks and underwear every few years also.

View Quote

You could extrapolate your argument to just about anything.

Optics are nice, but they might fail, so you should live without them.

Gas-system operated firearms are nice, but the gas system may fail, so manually cycle your bolt.

Etc . . .

I get what you're saying, but having night sights isn't taking anything away from what you would have without them. I have Trijicon HD's, and I shoot them the same during the day as I did my factory Glock sights. The difference is, I can shoot them at night and see them perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you are trying to sneak around in complete darkness, like inside your home, they will light up your face. Walk past a mirror and you'll see that I'm right.
View Quote

So how do you ninja bro? If you're being stealthy, by not using lights, tritium sights, or optics, how do you know where someone is in darkness and how do you know you have your sights aligned when ready to take the shot? Do you use the force?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't know.  I am looking at putting some fiber optic sights on it, though.  Age ain't no joke, and in a quick situation those little black blades don't jump out at older eyes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Age ain't no joke, and in a quick situation those little black blades don't jump out at older eyes.  
View Quote

Believe me, age ain't no joke.

Those night sights don't jump out at older eyes either.  At least not in my case.

They are nice.  I like them.  But, they are no substitute for young eyes.

I am old enough to remember when you couldn't buy a nice pistol with decent sights.

Times are better now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Protip: When the tritium dies the metal body of the sight does not, in fact, melt away like icecream. They can, and do, still function as sights for aligning the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Stupid is drawn to this thread like moths to a flame
View Quote

We're in good company.

Sometimes, IDK why, but I feel like people might be trolling in GD. I'm pretty intuitive sometimes.  (Mostly pretty)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#48]
i have a CT lazer...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Low light.  You can see your threat / target  but the sights are not clear at all.  Night sights do not mean shooting in pitch black.  Same concept with a red dot or illuminated scope.  You can see the dot at night but not the target.  In low light conditions you can clearly see the sight / target if it is illuminated. Try shooting a scoped or iron sighted rifle at dusk without illumination.  You can see the target but the sight fades into the background.

There are many cases where the ambient light will be sufficient to see a target but not the sights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Protip: When the tritium dies the metal body of the sight does not, in fact, melt away like icecream. They can, and do, still function as sights for aligning the weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding!

That puts you back with technology that I grew up with.  In fact, technology that every one used for centuries.

Strangely enough, good sights on pistols only occurred in my lifetime.  Colt Gov't model pistols that I bought  in the early 1980s came with dinky sights.

Well, obviously there were decent sights on pistols before then, but you had to pay for the priviledge, they weren't common place and they definitely weren't production.

I can remember night sights being advertised in the American Rifleman back in the 1930s.  Not too practical, they required batteries carried on the belt.

Not that I remember those  sights from the .30s.  I remember reading about them in later decades.  Don't want to confuse any one about my age.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top