Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2014 7:44:03 PM EDT
So what? Nobody ever went on a shooting spree before video games were even around?  

I'd love to see a study showing a per capita comparison of mass killings prior to 1980 vs post 1980.  Or perhaps I'm missing something.  What video game did L. H. Oswald like to play?  I bet Charles Witman was all 1337 sniperz in some fps game when he was a kid.  And how about that Jim Jones? Bet he was a big fan of rpg type games too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I played DOOM back in the day and I am in constant fear of what horrible things I will do because of it.

Let alone the PTSD I got from Duke Nukem back in '96
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]

It's not the video games that are at fault, its the people.

To be more specific, there are people who cannot keep reality and fiction separate. There is no disconnect between the two. These are the kinda people who you have to be mindful of.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Shake it, baby.

SHAKE IT DIRECTLY TO JAIL.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Video games influence kids.  It however isn't the sole cause.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I played a lot of BurgerTime as a kid.  It never caused me to work in the fast food industry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shake it, baby.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shake it, baby.

Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps we should ban books, they might influence those kids also.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing should be banned.

Parents should pay attention to what their kids consume.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing should be banned.
View Quote

Nothing is true, everything is permitted! I learned it from you, Ezio! I learned the face and neck stabbing from you!

ETA:
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Homicide has gone down overall. Since the '90s, since the '80s, since the '70s. We live in a particularly peaceful time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
People who talk about banning violent media put me into a murderous rage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shake it, baby.

"Im here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and im all outta gum"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If video games do influence society then we should have a huge rise in farmers & bird hunters this generation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think you understand.

It started with Wolfenstein.

Then there was DOOM, which we all know caused Columbine.

Pretty soon murder simulators were everywhere.  Duke 3d, Goldeneye, Rainbow Six, all teaching kids of the 90's to murder without remorse.

Now, it's just common accepted practice for kids to learn to be killers at a young age.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If video games do influence society then we should have a huge rise in farmers & bird hunters this generation.
View Quote

And much crushing of hard candies!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty soon murder simulators were everywhere.  Duke 3d, Goldeneye, Rainbow Six, all teaching kids of the 90's to murder without remorse.

Now, it's just common accepted practice for kids to learn to be killers at a young age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they are so tied to the games, most can leave home to kill anyone. Hence our historic low homicide rates.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Their have been mass shootings since repeating firearms were invented. I seem to remember America's first school shooting happened in the late 1800s when a kid went in and killed a dozen or more students with two revolvers
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really enjoy catching birds to use as slingshot ammo down at the hog farm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their have been mass shootings since repeating firearms were invented. I seem to remember America's first school shooting happened in the late 1800s when a kid went in and killed a dozen or more students with two revolvers
View Quote

Damn you are old!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I played hundreds of hours of Grand Theft Auto (III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV) as a child (GTA3 came out when I was 10). Miraculously, I never carjacked or randomly murdered anyone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
My brother and I loved to turn on the Invincibilty cheat, and Infinite Ammo cheat, and see who could rack up the highest kill score on the Facility level in Goldeneye on N64. It became a game of who was the most bored, and had the longest amount of free time to sit in front of the TV.

I'd say we both turned out alright, but he turned into a heroin junkie serving 5 years for distribution. Neither of us killed anyone though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the first, but definitely the most deadly- 1927 bombing of a school by the janitor.  Killed 44 injured 58.  

Anyways, I kind of have the theory that a lot of people have been doing shootings recently due to the wide press and publicity coverage the killers get for these attacks.  We are literally inundated with information about the scumbag including having their picture on a pedestal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except they are so tied to the games, most can leave home to kill anyone. Hence our historic low homicide rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They only leave the comfort of their basement bedroom to get their dad's mossberg to take to their 8th grade classroom
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I played hundreds of hours of Grand Theft Auto (III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV) as a child (GTA3 came out when I was 10). Miraculously, I never carjacked or randomly murdered anyone.
View Quote

I played hundreds of hours of Rainbow Six, never became a tier one operator.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Dammit, now I have an urge to get on Xbox and tear up some bots on Gear of War, since I never resubscribed for Live.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither.

Tom Clancy fucking LIED.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Homicide has gone down overall. Since the '90s, since the '80s, since the '70s. We live in a particularly peaceful time.
View Quote

I'm sure advancements in medicine have played a big part in that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The video games have become more realistic and violent as the murder rates have fallen.

BTW, there is a researcher, Grant Duwe,  who has studied mass killings. He found that it peaked in the US in the late 1920s, but usually tracks with the overall murder rates.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct --it's.been widely discussed that medical technology is what's kept the homicide rate down and a much more accurate indicator would be the aggravated assault rate- the rate at which people try to kill one another..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So what? Nobody ever went on a shooting spree before video games were even around?  

I'd love to see a study showing a per capita comparison of mass killings prior to 1980 vs post 1980.  Or perhaps I'm missing something.  What video game did L. H. Oswald like to play?  I bet Charles Witman was all 1337 sniperz in some fps game when he was a kid.  And how about that Jim Jones? Bet he was a big fan of rpg type games too.
View Quote

At the bath school massacre it was alleged that Keho was a fan of tiddlywinks... you can't trust those tiddlywink playing assholes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Crazy people will be crazy people
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Article about mass shootings

Some details from the article:

Defined as incidents in which four or more victims are killed publicly with guns within a short period of time (24 hours), mass public shootings include those that have occurred in the work-place, high schools, college campuses and other public locations such as malls, gyms and restaurants. Excluding cases that have occurred in connection with crimes such as robbery, drug trafficking or gang-related activity, more than 140 mass public shootings took place in the U.S. between 1900 and 2009.

Mass public shootings are not a "historically new" crime (see chart). Between 1900 and 1965, there were 21 mass public shootings in the U.S. For example, Mon-roe Phillips used a shotgun to kill six and wound 32 more in a mass public shooting in Brunswick, Georgia, in 1915. The 1966 massacre committed by Charles Whit-man in Austin, Texas marked the onset of a wave of mass public shootings that lasted until the end of the 20th century. Although it may seem that mass public shootings are still on the rise, the data show that 26 occurred between 2000 and 2009, a significant drop from the 43 cases in the 1990s.

Why have mass public shootings been on the decline? Highly publicized shootings often renew the call to either increase or de-crease the presence of firearms, but the availability of guns does not appear to be much of a factor. Research has shown, for ex-ample, that right-to-carry concealed firearms laws do not have a significant impact on mass public shootings. When mass public shootings were on the rise during the last several decades of the 20th century, rates of gun ownership remained relatively constant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Lord help us if anyone ever develops the "spread gun" from Contra.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Playing a thousand hours of BadCo2 made me the tier 1 operator I am today, but it did not make me want to go out and shoot people in the face.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I just use a knife

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Is that what passes for a violent video game in the Dutchlands?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Correct --it's.been widely discussed that medical technology is what's kept the homicide rate down and a much more accurate indicator would be the aggravated assault rate- the rate at which people try to kill one another..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about actually tracking murders *AND* attempted murders?

Not everyone carrying out aggravated assault was trying to kill someone....

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Lord help us if anyone ever develops the "spread gun" from Contra.
View Quote
"Spread gun"? I thought it was just "shotgun"

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#39]
In Borderlands you could get a gun that shot other guns at people
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Me neither.

Tom Clancy fucking LIED.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither.

Tom Clancy fucking LIED.

Yes,Yes he did.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Influence kids to commit murder? Bull shit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were also mass murders with any weapons available since the beginning of time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it's more plausible that video games have deterred more violence than it causes.  One being that it simply keeps kids from getting bored and going outside. Less kids outside means less chance of a confrontation amongst them.  Two, video games may fill that void of our violent side of nature. Prior to video games and film only books and story's passed down was the only way to fill that void. So the only way to fulfill visually the curiosity of violence against other human beings was to actually act on it in some way.  This doesn't mean one would be a psychopath but just more likely to scratch the itch by going to war, watching an execution, ect.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in and of itself, no.

Games influence people.  Music influences people.  Books influence people.  Friends influence people.  Lots of things influence people.  Trillions of dollars are spent globally to influence people.  Why?  Because it works.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I played Wolfenstein and Doom and such as a kid.

But there's no way I'd let my kids (that I don't have yet) play the newer GTA's and the like. I wouldn't let them watch R rated movies either.

My sister won't let her kids watch R rated movies but thinks M rated video games are fine for my under 12 nephews.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:28:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Games are more graphicly violent and look more real than ever before in the history of video games, in addition they are way more mainstream than ever before putting more kids in front of them than ever. But yet the violent crime rate overall has been declining overall. Explain that to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:42:54 AM EDT
[#48]
The arfcom GTAonline crew takes offense at this subject.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#49]
no, but they could be a factor for the wrong person.

the issue is fragile people who cannot distinguish fantasy from reality because they werent taught my their parents and/or they are mentally ill (which is usually a denial on the part of parents).

to deny that video games can influence that personality type is just willful ignorance. especially as they have gotten more graphic and real looking.

look, i will even agree with the point that if guns were banned outright, people like adam lanza would never have been able to kill those kids. i agree. spineless little prick wouldn't have had the balls to do it with a knife. having a gun means you can engage from a distance, without having to even touch your victim. people like adam lanza wouldn't even know how to acquire an illegal firearm, anyway, nor would they have the balls to meet up with ReyJeyKwon for a piece outside the back of a KFC.

but you know what? i'll still pick freedom any day. i am not responsible for what others do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He it's a American imperialist attacking the peace loving socialist peoples army.

I'm sure plenty of our communists would like to see such things banned. All I got from it was that running after a just fired RPG-7 is a good idea.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top