Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am against the death penalty. I have no moral objection to putting down scumbags, I just don't trust government with the authority to condemn people to death. I'd rather have a hundred guilty men go free than kill an innocent man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NO

We continue to release people that were innocent after being convicted, some were on death row.

Nothing could be a bigger injustice than the state putting an innocent person to death.
View Quote

Do you live in Missoula, Kalispell or Bozeman by chance?  Maybe around Dillon where the Rainbow "family" gathers?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do, by hanging. Why waste our tax dollars paying to support a murderer in prison for life? Poll inbound.
View Quote

In principal, yes, in practice, no.  Our system is far too flawed / corrupt to decide life and death.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
the death penalty is like communism, it sounds good on paper but in reality it is terrible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
In principle, yes, I support the death penalty.

In reality, the way the justice system is administered, it is impossible in most cases to impose it and be morally certain that the case was airtight.  Juries are fucking stupid, prosecutors are out to get convictions no matter what the facts of the case are, and defense attorneys are regularly overworked and under-resourced.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Either "every life is precious and a gift from God (who can forgive any sinner for any sin if he/she accepts him into their heart)"  

or

"6 billion people is enough, and every special snowflake, whether 6 weeks old or 60 years, can die without affecting the world or human beings as a whole in any way".  

I'll take option B, please.  Pro death is pro death.  "Pro life" aka "anti-choice" is pro-life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because I'm not an inconsistent and hypocritical "pro-life" and "pro-death penalty" RR member.

Yeah because killing a baby and killing a murderer is the same thing?   I'm not a hard core prolifer but there is a difference.

Either "every life is precious and a gift from God (who can forgive any sinner for any sin if he/she accepts him into their heart)"  

or

"6 billion people is enough, and every special snowflake, whether 6 weeks old or 60 years, can die without affecting the world or human beings as a whole in any way".  

I'll take option B, please.  Pro death is pro death.  "Pro life" aka "anti-choice" is pro-life.

There's a vast gulf between saying it's okay to kill an innocent unborn human and saying it's okay to kill a grown person who chose to unlawfully take another person's life.

The two are not related in any way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For violent crime, absolutely.

Eta...only in cases where there is undeniable proof of guilt. DNA rape evidence, multiple eye witnesses, video evidence and confessions.
View Quote

The legal definition of a violent crime is too broad to hang let alone incarcerate every violent criminal. In NY your AR-15 is a violent crime.

Possess an AR-15, that's a hangin
Possess a WASR10, that's a hangin
Possess a Pmag, that's a hangin
Possess a key chain of three 5.56x45mm cartridges held together with M27 links made in the last two decades, that's a triple hangin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If the evidence is good, and the conviction is solid, then yes, I support the death penalty.

And not just for murder.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am against the death penalty. I have no moral objection to putting down scumbags, I just don't trust government with the authority to condemn people to death. I'd rather have a hundred guilty men go free than kill an innocent man.
View Quote

I fear we have killed a fuckton of innocent people in this country given how fucked our legal system is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope; do not trust the .gov
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to be all for it, but I started looking at some of the real statistics surrounding it and it blew up all the myths (like the economic one--it actually cost MORE to give someone the death penalty than living the rest of their life out in prison). I especially don't think the government should be allowed to wield the power of life and death over its citizens. It's too corrupt, too self-serving, and too many innocent people have suffered the penalty unjustly. Firm no here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nope.  (Could support if there was always absolutely no possibility of a mistake, but since this isn't going to happen, no.)    

View Quote

This, with all the people being released through DNA evidence and corrupted police work I can't support it. Now if there is video of crime, let the gallows be built.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top