Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2014 9:44:09 AM EDT
I will never understand why people have such a hard time using the words "died," and "dead" when talking about someone they knew. Is death really that frightening or mysterious that we need euphemisms for it? The one that I most often hear is "passed away," which is fairly innocuous (but still irksome) until someone shortens it to "passed," as in "it's been three years and ten months since dad passed." It has always bothered me when people attempt to minimize death or lessen the impact of the reality by calling it by another name, even over thirty years ago while working as an EMT-II. The morning my dad died (yes, three years and ten months ago today) it almost got my younger brother punched in the mouth when he said something to the effect that he still couldn't believe that dad had "passed" - not maliciously mind you, but reflexively. It turns out that I discovered just how much these euphemisms bother me when he uttered that phrase.

I suppose it may have something to do with the finality of death and people not wanting to acknowledge it, but it is a cold, hard, biological fact. The reality is that person is gone, they didn't just drive by the house on the way to the grocery store (as in "hey, Sam just passed!) - if that was the case, I would chase dad down and ask him all the questions I've thought of since he died. So don't tell me that someone has "passed," call it what it is: someone has died, and I will never see them again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes it's just blunt and kind of inappropriate to say "dead". "Deceased" is a better word in some cases.

But yes, I also dislike hearing "passed". I don't have a problem when someone says "passed away" for some reason.

Not a major issue with me though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
"He's gone, and we couldn't do nothing about it."
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Reminds me of this.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Dead is a perfectly good English word, but like many other perfectly good words, in this age of euphemisms, it isn't used as often as it used to be.

The idea of being dead is so frightening that it has spawned many mythologies throughout history, which deny it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Somehow I think that you will get through this very trying ordeal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
"He passed away"  or "He's no longer with us"

is more polite than:

"Yo bitch that dude dropped dead!"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dead is a perfectly good English word, but like many other perfectly good words, in this age of euphemisms, it isn't used as often as it used to be.

The idea of being dead is so frightening that it has spawned many mythologies throughout history, which deny it.
View Quote
Concise and very well said. I believe you understand my point perfectly; thank you for that!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I pass away, or when I die?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
So, when your dad died how did you go about disposing of his corpse?

Insensitive? Maybe I could inquire with a bit more tact?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

is more polite than:

View Quote

I had to take a class on "Death Notification" for LEO continuing professional education credits. Believe it or not, in Oklahoma a LEO has to be certified to perform "Death Notifications". The class specifically said NEVER to use vague terms like "He's no longer with us..." or "she has passed..."

People hear only what they want to hear when they're faced with "The Knock", don't ever leave anything vague. You verify the next of kin, state the decedent's name and say outright that they have been killed in an auto accident (killed in a robbery, killed by hoodrats, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
When I worked in the hospital the word was 'expired'.  
That seemed silly to me.

Finally I started telling people 'library cards expire, people die'.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Assumed room temperature?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

is more polite than:

View Quote
Made me lol, but the last statement is still more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#15]
As more of my family has died, it has become a lot easier to deal with and talk about.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not in the least. It is a fact that must be dealt with in most deaths.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Having to tolerate other people's coping methods.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My pet peeve is when some idiot is talking about a person that was killed by someone else and says that they "passed away".

To me, passing away is a descriptive term that means someone died of a natural cause.

Being murdered, killed in battle, or in a horrific car crash is not simply passing away in my opinion.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had to take a class on "Death Notification" for LEO continuing professional education credits. Believe it or not, in Oklahoma a LEO has to be certified to perform "Death Notifications". The class specifically said NEVER to use vague terms like "He's no longer with us..." or "she has passed..."

People hear only what they want to hear when they're faced with "The Knock", don't ever leave anything vague. You verify the next of kin, state the decedent's name and say outright that they have been killed in an auto accident (killed in a robbery, killed by hoodrats, etc.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is more polite than:

To my mind this is both interesting and correct. I was taught the same thing all those years ago - that death is an inescapable fact. Sugar coating it never changed the outcome for any pt who died in my care...they were still just as dead.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of time they use pass away or pass on due to religious beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I am a FF/PM.  I've pronounced a lot of deaths and informed next of kin / families too many times to count.  I don't use any word other than died / dead.  Don't give people a sliver of hope that they can make it by using words that aren't clear.  It's like ripping off a bandaid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#22]
"He's taking a nap............a dirt nap."
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Assumed room temperature?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To my mind this is both interesting and correct. I was taught the same thing all those years ago - that death is an inescapable fact. Sugar coating it never changed the outcome for any pt who died in my care...they were still just as dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

is more polite than:

It's nice if your department is big enough that you have Chaplains, and in some small towns where the officer might know the family it's OK to ask the family's pastor to accompany you, but it's kind of a dead-giveaway when the family sees a badge walking up the drive with their pastor next to them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My wife follows a facebook GSD group, and they always say their beloved dog has "Crossed the rainbow bridge".  It drives her nuts.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Having to tolerate other people's coping methods denial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Au contrair, mon ami. I do not tolerate it, hence, this thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I suppose it may have something to do with the finality of death and people not wanting to acknowledge it, but it is a cold, hard, biological fact. .
View Quote

So did you just toss ol dads corpse in the lake?

As death is biological, love is not.  Maybe if I stop loving my dad, I wont mind saying he's dead, rather than passed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#29]
One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#30]
It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it'd be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! THIS is an EX parrot!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call either BS or Asperger's on that.

Pretending to have that level of emotional detachment is one thing. Actually having it is part of a disorder.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I will never understand why people have such a hard time using the words "died," and "dead" when talking about someone they knew. Is death really that frightening or mysterious that we need euphemisms for it? The one that I most often hear is "passed away," which is fairly innocuous (but still irksome) until someone shortens it to "passed," as in "it's been three years and ten months since dad passed." It has always bothered me when people attempt to minimize death or lessen the impact of the reality by calling it by another name, even over thirty years ago while working as an EMT-II. The morning my dad died (yes, three years and ten months ago today) it almost got my younger brother punched in the mouth when he said something to the effect that he still couldn't believe that dad had "passed" - not maliciously mind you, but reflexively. It turns out that I discovered just how much these euphemisms bother me when he uttered that phrase.

I suppose it may have something to do with the finality of death and people not wanting to acknowledge it, but it is a cold, hard, biological fact. The reality is that person is gone, they didn't just drive by the house on the way to the grocery store (as in "hey, Sam just passed!) - if that was the case, I would chase dad down and ask him all the questions I've thought of since he died. So don't tell me that someone has "passed," call it what it is: someone has died, and I will never see them again.
View Quote

I realize you're an arfcommer, so you probably never heard of these concepts before, but it's called couth and tact.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As death is biological, love is not.  Maybe if I stop loving my dad, I wont mind saying he's dead, rather than passed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose it may have something to do with the finality of death and people not wanting to acknowledge it, but it is a cold, hard, biological fact. .

Nope. The coroner came and wrapped him in a sheet and hauled him to the morgue where he was scrubbed down on a cold steel table with a water hose, then they drained his body fluids and pumped preservative through his veins. After they were finished slitting the back of his suit and tucking it around him to give the appearance that it was actually worn, they glued his eyes and mouth shut and applied all sorts of make-up that dad didn't use in real life. I personally picked him up at the mortuary at 4:00 a.m., opened the casket to be sure it was his body, then drove him some 600 miles - myself - to the city where he would be buried. After a ceremony, including an honor guard, we put him in a hole in the ground and threw dirt on top of him. I think that covers the high-points.

As for your assumption that I don't love my dad just because he's dead, well, lets just say you're dead wrong. Love does not change the reality of death. If it did, then there would be a shit-ton of people who would never die. Did your love save your dad from death??
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you do tolerate it.  You have no choice.  By your own words you had to stop yourself from punching out your brother.

In your correction of my post you use the word denial.  Denial is a coping method.  Which either you lack or just don't need.  But others do.

If in your initial scenario you had attacked your brother, who would be the asshole?  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I realize you're an arfcommer, so you probably never heard of these concepts before, but it's called couth and tact.
View Quote

Yea for real.

2pac is dead. Elvis is dead. Hoffa is dead.

Grandma passed away. Grandpa passed away.

There is a difference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#36]
My best friend's daughter called to inform me her dad was home now. I had just paid him a visit in a ICU less than 24 hours prior, it was a given his time was
drawing very near (lung cancer). To her statement I thought WTF?, but said "what do you mean he's home?", to which she explained he's gone home to the
Lord. "Oh!, I'm sorry " , I responded.

Nearly four years already, RIP, Ray
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Getting woke up by a friend after sleeping only 2hrs, then having to tell my wife that they found her daddy dead at his house is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also a very old man who grew up in an era when people knew what couth and tact were. It still didn't change the inevitability of biological death. An arfcommer saying arfcommers have no decency is priceless!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#39]
The fact that you started a thread about this makes me think you're not as "hard" as you're claiming to be.

Congrats on just saying "dead".  Sorry about your dad.
However, I'll continue to distinguish a human death from a battery that has lost it's charge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer "No longer viable"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[Nope. The coroner came and wrapped him in a sheet and hauled him to the morgue where he was scrubbed down on a cold steel table with a water hose, then they drained his body fluids and pumped preservative through his veins. After they were finished slitting the back of his suit and tucking it around him to give the appearance that it was actually worn, they glued his eyes and mouth shut and applied all sorts of make-up that dad didn't use in real life. < rest snipped>
View Quote

While we're on the topic of folks using the wrong (irritating) words to describe something: while it is entirely possible that your local funeral director is also your coroner, they are emphatically not the same thing.

Coroners and Medical Examiners investigate deaths and do autopsies.
Funeral Directors and Morticians embalm and/or cremate dead people and hold funerals.

The fact that both professions happen to involve dead people doesn't make them interchangeable.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I prefer "No longer viable"
View Quote

Or "Obsolete"

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I always keep the bereaved's feelings in mind and ease into it.

For example, yesterday I contacted a woman about her husband's death.

I started off with:"Are you the Widow Brown?"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#44]
My old neighbors, John and Mary, were an elderly couple who had been married forever.  They were both very active, friendly and vibrant.  Always outside, willing to help and ready to have a conversation.  John was an old school carpenter and could fix anything.

One day their oldest daughter (who was in her late 60s at the time) came to my house and told my now ex wife that they had lost Mary.

My wife replied " Oh, do you want me to help you find her?"  The daughter left without a word.

After realizing what had happened my ex tried to apologize and correct the problem to no avail. I tried to explain but they weren't having it.

Their entire family stopped talking to us immediately.  We were not invited to the funeral.  We were cut off for years after.

Words and emotions have power.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I try to be sensitive to others but death is a part of life.  People die everyday, no one is special.  I don't get emotional when people die but understand why some do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

While we're on the topic of folks using the wrong (irritating) words to describe something: while it is entirely possible that your local funeral director is also your coroner, they are emphatically not the same thing.

Funeral Directors and Morticians embalm and/or cremate dead people and hold funerals.

The fact that both professions happen to involve dead people doesn't make them interchangeable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Nope. The coroner came and wrapped him in a sheet and hauled him to the morgue where he was scrubbed down on a cold steel table with a water hose, then they drained his body fluids and pumped preservative through his veins. After they were finished slitting the back of his suit and tucking it around him to give the appearance that it was actually worn, they glued his eyes and mouth shut and applied all sorts of make-up that dad didn't use in real life. < rest snipped>

You have a valid point, and I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
However, I'll continue to distinguish a human death from a battery that has lost it's charge.
View Quote

An interesting comparison, that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#48]
People deal with it in different ways, if someone finds it easier to refer to it in this manner or that manner that's ok with me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people get really sensitive about the subject, and some people are perfectly comfortable with it. Nobody wants anybody to burst into tears and start sobbing on their shoulder over dear old Meemaw, God rest her soul. So, they tread lightly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#50]
i hate when people say "dead".

why cant you say " no longer breathing" or "heart stopped beating"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top