Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:48:05 AM EDT
For those of you that didn't know (I have a very informative calendar), April is Velociraptor Awareness month and April 18th is Velociraptor Awareness day. Be safe out there.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll keep an eye out, but they always seem to come tearing through the jungle and rip your head off on the way by.

A good day to stay in the basement.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Velociraptor Awareness Day is great and all, I always have a good year.  Last year I got a goat!

What I hate is cleaning up after Velociraptor Awareness Day.  All the limbs to gather, hunt down the stragglers that got away in the round-up.  There's a lot more things I have to do today.  These holidays close together crap is pretty hectic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Utah Raptor FTW.....I would have rather faced down a T-Rex than a Utah Raptor
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Clever girl
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Just remember, a velociraptor is a long term commitment, not a holiday impulse gift. Most responsible breeders won't sell to you in April. If you're sincere about making one a part of your family, consider Velociraptor rescue groups.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck yeah
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
But can they fly an F-14 ?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Having been born in 1990, and seeing Jurassic park at a young age, my childhood nightmares revolved around Velociraptors.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
SHARK RIDING VELOCIRAPTORS with RPG's

Tactical as fuck !!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having been born in 1990, and seeing Jurassic park at a young age, my childhood nightmares revolved around Velociraptors.
View Quote

Apparently so did one of my coworkers. She had a minor flashback after my raptor ringtone went off.

I'm putting these up at work. Taping them right over the Sharp posters.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Alrighty then.

I got Cinco De Mayo for Margaritas.

I got St. Patrick's day for drinking everything.

I got National Custodian Appreciation Day on Oct. 2 when we drink cleaning products.

What the hell do I serve on Velociraptor Awareness Day?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alrighty then.

I got National Custodian Appreciation Day on Oct. 2 when we drink cleaning products.

View Quote

The severed arm of Samuel Jackson was popular.

Lawyer is also an acceptable backup dish.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Triceratops steaks?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Triceratops steaks?
View Quote

Ice cream seems popular.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Alrighty then.

View Quote

You're not supposed to be drinking. You're supposed to be loading mags.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Something to print out for work...

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I keep my velociraptors out in the yard, because I've never been able to house-train them.  And they poop a lot...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alrighty then.

Sounds like something my wife would say.  "You're not supposed to be drinking.  You're supposed to be mowing the lawn/wrestling a bear/dealing the clutter in the basement/yadda yadda blah blah blah".

She is so smart SHE can handle the damn Velociraptors.  I will be just ducky with my awesome blender drinks.

Hold on.

Would a velociraptor attack a menopausal woman?  Or would that not happen out of professional courtesy?  Or would she just join them?

Clever girl...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sounds like something my wife would say.  "You're not supposed to be drinking.  You're supposed to be mowing the lawn/wrestling a bear/dealing the clutter in the basement/yadda yadda blah blah blah".

She is so smart SHE can handle the damn Velociraptors.  I will be just ducky with my awesome blender drinks.

Hold on.

Would a velociraptor attack a menopausal woman?  Or would that not happen out of professional courtesy?  Or would she just join them?

Clever girl...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alrighty then.

Hold on.

Clever girl...

Well, we have it on good authority that the blood attracts bears. Nobody ever confirmed if the bear would be dumb enough to attack.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Triceratops steaks?

Ice cream seems popular.

http://media.giphy.com/media/qv1i8rpyasUZq/giphy.gif

Is that a real Archer episode?  Gotta see it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Triceratops steaks?

Ice cream seems popular.

http://media.giphy.com/media/qv1i8rpyasUZq/giphy.gif

Its a normal episode, and they just re-animated it with archer as a velociraptor.  His dialog is nothing but snarling.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#26]
No one has posted a velociraptor in this thread.

Velociraptor was a mid-sized dromaeosaurid, with adults measuring up to 2.07 m (6.8 ft) long, 0.5 m (1.6 ft) high at the hip, and weighing up to 15 kg (33 lb).
View Quote

When is deinonychus awareness day?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#27]
My wife has 4 of them. Damn things are messy as hell.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Velociraptor was a mid-sized dromaeosaurid, with adults measuring up to 2.07 m (6.8 ft) long, 0.5 m (1.6 ft) high at the hip, and weighing up to 15 kg (33 lb).

33lb? should be able to grab it by the tail and throw it then
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#29]
You cuddle with Velociraptors.

Utahraptor FTW and shit stained underwear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_raptor
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Little peacock sized dinosaurs that died off millions of years ago?

Terrifying
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Although I have read this explanation about why they went the way they did in the movie.

At the time the Velociraptors in JP were originally created, they were in fact "accurate". When Michael Crichton first wrote Jurassic Park in the mid-late 80's, he based many of his dinosaurs on depictions and classifications by the unorthodox paleo-artist Gregory S. Paul, who had classified the recently discovered Deinonychus antirrhopus as well as other species such as Dromeaosaurus and the then yet to be described Achillobator giganticus all under the genus of "Velociraptor". Crichton used these classifications when he wrote Jurassic Park. It is due to constant scientific updating, that these creatures became scientifically obsolete very soon. These classifications and designs were then carried over to the film version, which Spielberg had already planned on making, before the book was even published. The designs were copied as so to be accurate to the novel, not science.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Died off? Hah! Oh to be young again...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Although I have read this explanation about why they went the way they did in the movie.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the time the Velociraptors in JP were originally created, they were in fact "accurate". When Michael Crichton first wrote Jurassic Park in the mid-late 80's, he based many of his dinosaurs on depictions and classifications by the unorthodox paleo-artist Gregory S. Paul, who had classified the recently discovered Deinonychus antirrhopus as well as other species such as Dromeaosaurus and the then yet to be described Achillobator giganticus all under the genus of "Velociraptor". Crichton used these classifications when he wrote Jurassic Park. It is due to constant scientific updating, that these creatures became scientifically obsolete very soon. These classifications and designs were then carried over to the film version, which Spielberg had already planned on making, before the book was even published. The designs were copied as so to be accurate to the novel, not science.

Don't bring facts into my thread. This is GD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the size (or really lack there of) of the Utahraptor. The largest fossil would have an adult at about 8ft tall but what made Utahraptor bad news was it's incredible speed and agility along with it being the smartest of carnivore dinosaurs. Scientist believe raptors (all of them,) had sophisticated communication and hunted in packs much like wolves today. Of course the razor-sharp dew claw, jaw of teeth and claws made for the equivalent of a ninja dinosaur.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump for Velociraptor day awesomeness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Velociraptors were the size of a large turkey.  Utahraptor was as big as a polar bear.  Now you are aware.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#37]
A Veløciraptør once bit my sister...
Mind you, Veløciraptør bites can be pretty nasti.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Clever girl
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A Veløciraptør once bit my sister...

Mind you, Veløciraptør bites can be pretty nasti.

View Quote

Velociraptors as a breed are not evil baby eaters, they just get a bad name from some of the d-bags that own them.  I've had indoor Velociraptors my entire life and none of mine have ever so much as snarled at a youngin'.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ray-arnold-arm.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alrighty then.

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ray-arnold-arm.jpg

I heard Jackson is going to be in Jurassic Park 4, and he's going to sue Grant, Ellie and Hammond for leaving him behind when they saw a black arm and just assumed it was his arm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Where is my damned shotgun?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Wasn't there a member here who built a PVC skeleton and sculpted on top of that with foam to make a large velociraptor for his kids?

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Safety guy was not amused when I handed him Velociraptor Awareness handouts. So I hung some myself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a member here who built a PVC skeleton and sculpted on top of that with foam to make a large velociraptor for his kids?

View Quote

Yep. Great thread and great model work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Velociraptors were the size of a large turkey.  Utahraptor was as big as a polar bear.  Now you are aware.
View Quote

Less body mass than a turkey- more like a big peacock.

Bawk bawk...

I like the theories that they were smart, but you have to realize that "smart" in a reptilian context is still not exactly all that bright...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Delete if coc violation

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bawk bawk...

I like the theories that they were smart, but you have to realize that "smart" in a reptilian context is still not exactly all that bright...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bawk bawk...

Considering they're more closely related to birds than reptiles, apply the intelligence of crows or ravens to a raptor and see what you come up with.

Remember.  The clever girls are problem solvers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Considering they're more closely related to birds than reptiles, apply the intelligence of crows or ravens to a raptor and see what you come up with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bawk bawk...

Crows are fucking smart, for those who don't know. As in "fashion tools to solve problems" smart.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#50]
What round?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top