User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Beat the shit out of someone. Taser has saved lots of lives and has documented reduction of injuries for both officers and suspects.

People died all the time in police custody before tasers came along.

Name one cop, security, volunteer or military person that has died from being tased in training. You can use the whole wide world to find an example.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excited delirium is no joke.  They warn us about that every year when I re-cert on the Taser.

I'm curious what we did before Tasers?    I almost can't remember...  but I don't recall killing them either....

Beat the shit out of someone. Taser has saved lots of lives and has documented reduction of injuries for both officers and suspects.

People died all the time in police custody before tasers came along.

Name one cop, security, volunteer or military person that has died from being tased in training. You can use the whole wide world to find an example.

Sensitive...  t'was tongue-in-cheek.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Needs more...

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll say it, that was fucking pathetic.  

Taser not work?  Time to haul out the baton and break stuff.
View Quote

I couldn't be a cop. If guy had my partner cornered and hitting him after being tased, I would have reached for the real gun and lit the guy up like a Christmas tree as soon as I had the angle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I couldn't be a cop. If guy had my partner cornered and hitting him after being tased, I would have reached for the real gun and lit the guy up like a Christmas tree as soon as I had the angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll say it, that was fucking pathetic.  
Taser not work?  Time to haul out the baton and break stuff.

You could be a cop but just not for long.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Way to close for the Taser to do it's thing.

At that range it merely inflicts pain.

Taser ain't a fighting or defensive weapon, it's an ambush weapon.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Way to close for the Taser to do it's thing.

At that range it merely inflicts pain.

Taser ain't a fighting or defensive weapon, it's an ambush weapon.

View Quote

Not necessarily.

The issue was not the range, it was the lack of connection of both probes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We are doing just the opposite, taser goes in the drawer and batons are coming out.

Did my cert on baton this week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those officers really seem to depend on the taser to do all the heavy lifting in that struggle.
they seemed very reluctant to actually go hands on with the guy and he whooped they asses for a good portion of the struggle.

Welcome to police work in the 21st century.  Administrators HATE the use of batons, fists, or anything else that can leave a mark.

The fat cop was next to worthless.  

We are doing just the opposite, taser goes in the drawer and batons are coming out.

Austin is re-issuing PR-24's these days,.  Never thought I would see that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Since this video was posted online, the fat cop has probably filed a grievance for all the shit he is taking at muster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Welcome to LE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The overall level of training displayed in this video is pretty bad.

Welcome to LE.

You would think that some of the defensive tactics learned during elementary school slap fighting would have kicked in at some point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Beat the shit out of someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excited delirium is no joke.  They warn us about that every year when I re-cert on the Taser.

I'm curious what we did before Tasers?    I almost can't remember...  but I don't recall killing them either....

Beat the shit out of someone.

Uh... yeah. Not really sure what is so hard to understand about that. If two cops couldn't do the job, you got four. If four didn't do it, 6... 8... 10... whatever it took.

Every time I hear someone talking about the over-use of Tasers, I always say the same thing: I'd rather ride the lightning than dance with the Flashlight Octopus.

Quoted:

Personally, I hated that thing. When I was in a car, it never came out of the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
They are in need of some serious time on the mat.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

That kid is my hero!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
When one intermediate doesn't work, switch to something else.

Batons work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
When he was on the floor they should have been quick to take control of him. They acted like they were afraid to touch him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Welcome to police work in the 21st century.  Administrators HATE the use of batons, fists, or anything else that can leave a mark.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those officers really seem to depend on the taser to do all the heavy lifting in that struggle.
they seemed very reluctant to actually go hands on with the guy and he whooped they asses for a good portion of the struggle.

No he isn't.
He'd be great cover in a gun fight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
We don't pay cops to take a whipping. They should have shot his ass. I know, I'd never be a cop.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I had shot that guy for what was on that video I'd be charged so fast my head would spin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, next time... break out the 9mm.

If I had shot that guy for what was on that video I'd be charged so fast my head would spin.

Yup
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In the big cop's defense, the story was that the crazy guy had flooded the place, so the floor was covered in water.  You can see the big cop sliding around.  Being big loses a lot of its advantage when you can't get any traction or leverage.

Back in the day it would have been time to apply a little timber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the big cop's defense, the story was that the crazy guy had flooded the place, so the floor was covered in water.  You can see the big cop sliding around.  Being big loses a lot of its advantage when you can't get any traction or leverage.

Piss poor excuse. What really happened is he tried to bend over to cuff (instead of putting a knee on the guy) and his belly pushed his knee out causing him to slip.

Put a knee to the guy already!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Pathetic.

Those LEOs need some serious training and time in the gym.

If you worked a job where protecting yourself was a real need, wouldn't you take it more serious than these guys?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#24]
If I were there, knowing that that man was acting FUCKING INSANE I think I'd have been trying to bludgeon him in the head with something when he started wailing on the smaller cop.

It's too bad that he died in custody, but my prediction is they're going to find drugs in his system, so about all I can say is "Oops, sucks to be that guy."
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pathetic.

Those LEOs need some serious training and time in the gym.

If you worked a job where protecting yourself was a real need, wouldn't you take it more serious than these guys?
View Quote

Because your bosses tell you to only use the techniques you are trained on, then offer no training.  Or they tell you to use only the gear you are issued, then issue cheap shit or won't replace broken gear.  And even if you use what you received minimal training in, if you look bad on the news, you may still be fucked.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because your bosses tell you to only use the techniques you are trained on, then offer no training.  Or they tell you to use only the gear you are issued, then issue cheap shit or won't replace broken gear.  And even if you use what you received minimal training in, if you look bad on the news, you may still be fucked.
View Quote

Yep, good luck when you get caught on video using some training the department didn't provide and the situation goes south. I'd be looking at the driveshaft of a bus in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That dude was in beast mode.

Glad he's toast.  Useless to society.
View Quote

No shit right there!

The dude wasn't even human anymore, just a rage machine on a collision course with humanity. I feel bad for those cops, if you discount the emotional trauma of killing that dude, they came within inches of being beaten to death by that crazy, and they took some major lumps while trying to gain control.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I saw a video here last week where 2 cops were fighting a big black man and he actually took the baton away from the cop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, good luck when you get caught using some training the department didn't provide and the situation goes south. I'd be looking at the driveshaft of a bus in a heartbeat.

I saw a video here last week where 2 cops were fighting a big black man and he actually took the baton away from the cop.

Link?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#31]
ahemmm

"fire extinguisher"
"wet towel"
"taser"

drive stun to the neck

drugs are bad and fucks given zero....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ahemmm
"fire extinguisher"
"wet towel"
"taser".
View Quote

So hit him over the head with the fire extinguisher?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ahemmm
"fire extinguisher"
"wet towel"
"taser".

as i was informed by a member of GD, a fire extinguisher may be discharged to subdue a knife wielding individual....might as well work on a crazy person to, right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#34]
We don't carry tasers so it would be baton time, but just wait till GD sees the video....OMG JBTs!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We don't carry tasers so it would be baton time, but just wait till GD sees the video....OMG JBTs!!
View Quote

It would be portable radio and Maglite time where I worked................................unofficially.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I eat at at that Freddy's a couple times a month.  

The female cashier in the video told me that the dude walked in batshit crazy.  The one cop was slipping all over the floor because the guy was knocking all kinds of shit all over the place.
View Quote

I live right around the corner from that Freddy's and almost went there for dinner that night
Drove by the crime scene the next day on my way to work around 0530
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shheeesh, I thought folks were going old school like my SO.

lead wrapped in leather baby and wood.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
lead wrapped in leather baby and wood
View Quote

With a side order of lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It would be portable radio and Maglite time where I worked................................unofficially.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys didn't have bats?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lead wrapped in leather baby and wood

Hey, the boss ok'd them, so I am running with it.  It is nice carrying a sap in a sap pocket instead of an asp with a triad on the end.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That is some improper handcuffing and really piss poor taking control of the situation.

Really just a shit sandwich.
View Quote

Yep, why, why, WHY, do folks get the cuffs out BEFORE they have the suspect under physical control and at a disadvantage!?

Damn people, are we forgetting the basics (or never been properly trained)?

Reason #3,753 why going hands on quickly, and using the appropriate amount of force, protects you and the suspect from further harm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am close to convincing my Sheriff to let us carry espantoons again. I have one an ARFOMer made me a few years ago, I am dying to carry it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss my PR-24, great tool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love that descriptor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]
We are sending several of our guys to a Gracie Police Combative Instructor course. It looks like Use of Force training is coming full circle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did. Hit someone anywhere "effective" and you were getting jammed up of it was caught on video.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Looked like he was trying to slap box them. Don't they carry batons?
View Quote

Edward Caruth, former Slap box champion of 2013 took his first loss in 2014, ends with a record of 20-1

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Further evidence that Tasers are not magical, and hands on physical control skills are still extremely important in policing.

I need to get back to the gym.
View Quote

I agree 100%

However some outcomes are going to happen regardless.

Cops aren't magical fairies that make everything ok when they show up on scene. some things are just on a trajectory that are inevitable.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top