Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2014 1:01:00 AM EDT
http://www.policeone.com/less-lethal/articles/7087962-Video-Crazed-man-dies-after-resisting-TASER-attacking-cops/

PHOENIX — A video capturing a violent struggle between police and a man who died has been released.

According to AZ Family, Phoenix police officers were involved in the deadly struggle at a restaurant on Sunday. The incident began when a male restaurant employee reported a man, 38-year-old Edward Michael Caruth, acting strangely and mumbling to himself

As seen in the video, two police officers attempted to subdue Caruth after he resisted being placed in handcuffs and fought the officers. A TASER was deployed, but did not stop the suspect. The struggle eventually spilled into the restaurant’s parking lot.
By PoliceOne Staff

PHOENIX — A video capturing a violent struggle between police and a man who died has been released.

According to AZ Family, Phoenix police officers were involved in the deadly struggle at a restaurant on Sunday. The incident began when a male restaurant employee reported a man, 38-year-old Edward Michael Caruth, acting strangely and mumbling to himself

As seen in the video, two police officers attempted to subdue Caruth after he resisted being placed in handcuffs and fought the officers. A TASER was deployed, but did not stop the suspect. The struggle eventually spilled into the restaurant’s parking lot.

"He (the employee) indicated to 911 that this suspect had been in the business for quite a while, was scaring the employees," said Officer James Holmes of the Phoenix Police Department. "He had gone into a restroom, barricaded himself in the restroom and then turned on the water faucets causing the restrooms to flood."

The suspect also damaged the restaurant’s counter area, and tried to access the back kitchen, but was stopped by an employee wielding a knife.

The suspect was TASERed at least four times by the two officers. Two additional officers responded to the incident and struggled with the suspect.

Two officers were injured in the struggle. Caruth was treated for injuries at the scene, and later died after being transported to a hospital.

Caruth’s cause of death has not been determined.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd do the cash register chick.

But not the fat cop or the homo inky.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Excited delirium is no joke.  They warn us about that every year when I re-cert on the Taser.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Further evidence that Tasers are not magical, and hands on physical control skills are still extremely important in policing.

I need to get back to the gym.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Those officers really seem to depend on the taser to do all the heavy lifting in that struggle.
they seemed very reluctant to actually go hands on with the guy and he whooped they asses for a good portion of the struggle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm really trying not to comment on the tactics of the officers, but its hard not to.  They did well by reasoning with the guy and getting him to get down on the floor, but than its like they slept through the rest of their tactics class when it came time for the handcuffing.  Also: Ask. Tell. Make.  It seems like they never assertively and whole heartedly performed the 'tell' and 'make' stages when the suspect started fighting (aside from over-reliance of the tasers).

Either way, I'm sure the suspect probably would've ended up dead.  The toxicology results will be key.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those officers really seem to depend on the taser to do all the heavy lifting in that struggle.
they seemed very reluctant to actually go hands on with the guy and he whooped they asses for a good portion of the struggle.
View Quote

Yeah.....

That last part you said......  That's why they used the taser.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Was the fat cop getting a liter of cola while his partner was getting hit between 1:01-1:07?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Further evidence that Tasers are not magical, and hands on physical control skills are still extremely important in policing.

View Quote

This here, whoever didn't trained those cops needs fired. Who doesn't cuff that way?

Lots of fail in that video. When you give someone a taser it doesn't mean that you stop all other training.
To many depts/officers depend on the tasers way to much.

Train like you fight/fight like you train, these 2 cops are lucky that crazy didn't want to really hurt someone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm really trying not to comment on the tactics of the officers, but its hard not to.  They did well by reasoning with the guy and getting him to get down on the floor, but than its like they slept through the rest of their tactics class when it came time for the handcuffing.  Also: Ask. Tell. Make.  It seems like they never assertively and whole heartedly performed the 'tell' and 'make' stages when the suspect started fighting (aside from over-reliance of the tasers).

Either way, I'm sure the suspect probably would've ended up dead.  The toxicology results will be key.
View Quote

Why not? Tactics save lives, these guys got very lucky. They had the guy on the ground. Put a knee on his neck and cuff him already.  Those 2 had zero tactics other than pull taser and hope it works.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said by both of you.

These officers looked old enough to have started their careers before tasers so I honestly expected more physical tactics when the tasers didn't work.  The suspect was fit but the suspect had poor tactics and allowed himself to be open.  Instead of seizing the opportunities, the officers continued their non-effective taser attempts from a distance.  Hopefully the officers and the department will realize their need for more hands-on refresher training.

Hopefully the officers weren't hurt too badly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Looked like he was trying to slap box them. Don't they carry batons?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.....

I might be misunderstanding your reply, but I'm reading that as you are thinking we are talking about if the taser should or shouldn't have been used.

I don't think anyone is saying that the officers shouldn't have tried the tasers.  Tasers are great when they work.  What we are saying is that there were openings for physical tactics (starting from the handcuffing) that may have worked better, and that physical tactics certainly needed to come out during the fight when the tasers weren't working.

As a side comment, I find it concerning how many officers are not carrying OC and/or batons anymore due to taser reliance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Was the fat cop getting a liter of cola while his partner was getting hit between 1:01-1:07?!
View Quote

My morning chuckle.

Tatman was on something serious.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll say it, that was fucking pathetic.  

Taser not work?  Time to haul out the baton and break stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome to police work in the 21st century.  Administrators HATE the use of batons, fists, or anything else that can leave a mark.

The fat cop was next to worthless.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, add to the fact it takes him 10 minutes to get one cuff on the suspect. Holy crap. He gave the suspect too much time to respond to being cuffed by being so slow. How would you like that guy backing you up? No thanks.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
That dude was in beast mode.

Glad he's toast.  Useless to society.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Quoted:
These officers looked old enough to have started their careers before tasers so I honestly expected more physical tactics when the tasers didn't work.

Some departments don't train cops in that or they train very poorly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Excited delirium is no joke.  They warn us about that every year when I re-cert on the Taser.
View Quote

What he says.  I have personally witnessed a similar incident.  It took 4 of us to wrestle down a 250 lb guy hopped up on cocaine and hallucinating.  We didn't use a Taser, and we probably should have.  After being in the ER triage room for about 5 minutes, he just stopped breathing.  They got him back after about 25 minutes, but he was brain dead and ended up dying about a week later anyways.  Something tells me the guy in this situation would have died whether they used a Taser or not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
At first I thought the suspect was a midget. Until the officers made him lay down, I then realized he was kneeling down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Nm, "has not been determined".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At first I thought the suspect was a midget. Until the officers made him lay down, I then realized he was kneeling down.
View Quote

Me too.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's like firefighters depending on the rabbit tool to the point that they don't drill as often as they should on using irons to take a door.

You never know when circumstances will force you to go old school.

Quoted:
Welcome to police work in the 21st century.  Administrators HATE the use of batons, fists, or anything else that can leave a mark.

Or anything that "looks bad" cell phone video.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I eat at at that Freddy's a couple times a month.  

The female cashier in the video told me that the dude walked in batshit crazy.  The one cop was slipping all over the floor because the guy was knocking all kinds of shit all over the place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree--though if I had said it first a small contingent here would be all breathless with (feigned) outrage.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree--though if I had said it first a small contingent here would be all breathless with (feigned) outrage.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I would have shot him while he was still in the restaurant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn guy... the TASER obviously isn't fucking working, maybe you should thing about trying something else.  

The overall level of training displayed in this video is pretty bad.  Neither one of these cops (both of which look like big, physically capable guys) had a clue as to what to do when the TASER didn't work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Risk management based policing is creating a generation of cops afraid to use force. The media, critics, lawyers and policy writers have made the process following any use of force so painfull many cops are afraid use force when justified.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#32]
They gave that guy too many chances and then went Nancy when they went hands on. No wonder that guy went retard. He figured he could....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#33]
The loud clicking you hear is the Taser telling them it doesnt have a good connection.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO SHIT!!

You weigh 350 pounds. Go over there and tackle the guy.

Oh and I would like to personally thank the camera recorder for holding his phone the correct way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Good taze.

Fuck that guy. You can beat the rap, not the ride.

ETA: Inky bro only got it on because he thought that he could, because officer's friendly didn't appear to know how to handcuff a guy who was already on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#38]
were those tats?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good taze.

View Quote

Well, good, except for the fact that it didn't do anything other than piss the silly fucker off, and Officer Einstein just kept pulling the trigger and getting slapped a lot.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The overall level of training displayed in this video is pretty bad.
View Quote

Welcome to LE.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Good taze.

However, next time... break out the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I had shot that guy for what was on that video I'd be charged so fast my head would spin.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I kept waiting for the Benny Hill music to start when they were out in the parking lot.  

Does anyone know how they finally stopped the guy?  Did more cops show up, or did he just drop dead next to his car?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If I had shot that guy for what was on that video I'd be charged so fast my head would spin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the tazer didn't work the first time, one of the officer's should've whipped out his collapsible "compliance stick" and went to town, but that would look, really, really bad on video.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Whoa!

You mean there was a crazed man in another state besides florida... say it ain't so!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This here, whoever didn't trained those cops needs fired. Who doesn't cuff that way?

Lots of fail in that video. When you give someone a taser it doesn't mean that you stop all other training.

Train like you fight/fight like you train, these 2 cops are lucky that crazy didn't want to really hurt someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Way to much dependence on the Taser.

You can hear by the crackle of the arc that it is not making a full connection.  Either move in with a Drive Stun to complete the connection, or disengage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The loud clicking you hear is the Taser telling them it doesnt have a good connection.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious what we did before Tasers?    I almost can't remember...  but I don't recall killing them either....  Okay, well maybe a few...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if you had shot him, at least 11 of your co-workers would have emptied magazines at anything that moved...  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top