Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have voted Republican in every major election since I was 18. I have voted for other parties on the local level when I knew the candidate and was sure of their qualifications.
Finnbear
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Once was a Republican then I saw the light Libertarian !
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
republican.  why?  i do whatever the liberals hate, like eat dolphins and cut down trees,and don't do whatever the liberals want me to. just kidding about the dolphins, they taste like sh*t!
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One major thing I have a problem with is the NRA being 100% in bed with the Republicans. Regardless if the republican candidate is F rated by the NRA and a third party candidate is rated A. Not talking about presidential candidates here but lesser positions. The only way the NRA will endorse any other party is if the Republicans are not running in the race.  You ever notice that NRA tends to rate these controversial candidates with much higher ratings than the GOA does?  

View Quote

Yup the NRA pulled this exact crap in the last governor's race in kalifornia. There was the choice of flaming anti-gun democrat gray davis and flaming anti-gun republican dan lungren. So what did they do in their infinite stupidity? Endorsed no one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
OK !!!   Enough already.... I have registered as a Democrat.

Thank you for your support and kind words.  I figure that, as a black man, i had no choice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck you all.  I are a Democrat too.

Nuthing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I never understood the appeal of a third party.  I know that there are some out there that say "there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two" or "they're just as bad"

I worked with a ardent pro-lifer that simply refused to vote for Dole back in 1996. He said that he couldn't vote for someone who was so soft on the topic.  I told him that he then deserved every pro-death piece of legislation that was to be vomited out of the Clinton White House.  By his protest/anger "non-vote," he was really aiding and abetting a philosophy anti-thetical to his own.

The same goes with with gun rights.  When we "opt out" of the two party system, we weaken our own hand.  By not consolidating our support behind those who share our beliefs (and can be elected), we only screw ourselves in the end.  How many Pro-Gun Buchananites/Perotistas of 1992 now regret not supporting Bush now that they've seen the fruit of their labor in Clinton's anti-gun legislation.  

I fully blame (and am ready to be torched) the 92 Buchananites/Perotistas for our current gun ban woes.  By not supporting someone who would give us at least an audience, we let the wolf in the hen house.

I think its time for some of you "third party" mayflies to think seriously about what is important to you and what cost you are willing to pay.

Asbestos underwear on.
View Quote

Who the hell do you think forwarded the bills for klinton to sign?!?!?  A friggen republican Congress!!!!!   [:(!]

Wake up man.  You don't have to support a 3rd party but for God's sake realize what "your" party is responsible for!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]
To mtnpatriot -

Who the hell do you think forwarded the bills for klinton to sign?!?!? A friggen republican Congress!!!!!
View Quote

What bills are you referring to when you say the friggen Republican Congress sent Clinton bills to sign?

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never understood the appeal of a third party.  I know that there are some out there that say "there isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two" or "they're just as bad"

I worked with a ardent pro-lifer that simply refused to vote for Dole back in 1996. He said that he couldn't vote for someone who was so soft on the topic.  I told him that he then deserved every pro-death piece of legislation that was to be vomited out of the Clinton White House.  By his protest/anger "non-vote," he was really aiding and abetting a philosophy anti-thetical to his own.

The same goes with with gun rights.  When we "opt out" of the two party system, we weaken our own hand.  By not consolidating our support behind those who share our beliefs (and can be elected), we only screw ourselves in the end.  How many Pro-Gun Buchananites/Perotistas of 1992 now regret not supporting Bush now that they've seen the fruit of their labor in Clinton's anti-gun legislation.  

I fully blame (and am ready to be torched) the 92 Buchananites/Perotistas for our current gun ban woes.  By not supporting someone who would give us at least an audience, we let the wolf in the hen house.

I think its time for some of you "third party" mayflies to think seriously about what is important to you and what cost you are willing to pay.

Asbestos underwear on.
View Quote

Who the hell do you think forwarded the bills for klinton to sign?!?!?  A friggen republican Congress!!!!!   [:(!]

Wake up man.  You don't have to support a 3rd party but for God's sake realize what "your" party is responsible for!!
View Quote

Sir, you are mistaken.  The Brady Bill of 1993 and the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 were signed into law by Clinton prior to the Republicans taking control of Congress in 1995 (Being elected in 1994).  The Democratic Party controlled Congress prior to 1995.  The GOP tried to repeal the Assault Weapons Ban in 1996.

I understand that there are anti-gun Republicans just as there are pro-gun Democrats, but as long as we remain disunited behind a single party we cannot effectively force change.  Do you think legislators would ignore us if we presented a strong unified front?  No.

I think the pro-gun independents of this board deserve every piece of anti-gun legislation that they themselves have helped to pen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I will start voting Libertarian when they start fielding candidates for local and state offices in my area. You don't build a structure from the top down, and expecting to have a candidate from your party elected President when there are no or very few Mayors, State Senators, State Assemblymen, US Representatives or US Senators from that party is ludicrous.

It's like wishing on a star. And as my Daddy told me, "Wish in one hand, $hit in the other. See which one fills up faster."

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Registered Republican, follow the Republican Liberty Caucas ([url]http://www.rlc.org[/url]=www.rlc.org
I consider my self a constitutional conservative.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Election 2000 scorecard: 34 victories and counting

Party picks up eight more wins in late results

The number of Libertarians winning public office in November has jumped to 34, thanks to a flurry of late election results from around the country -- including a three-vote squeaker in California.

In addition to the 26 victories reported in the December 2000 issue of LP News, Libertarians were elected in West Virginia, Michigan, Iowa, and Idaho, reported LP Political Director Ron Crickenberger.

The new victories make Election 2000 the most successful presidential year ever for the party in terms of winning local office, he said.

"We may have fallen short in our goals for the presidential vote, but we exceeded all expectations in the number of local wins," said Crickenberger. "We elected five times as many Libertarians this year as we did in 1996, the last presidential election year. And we elected more people than all other third parties combined."

Additional Libertarian winners include:

Kate O'Brien, who emerged victorious in the year's closest race -- a three-vote nail-biter for the Rancho California.

After a lengthy recount, O'Brien captured the third and final open spot on the board, besting rival Jim Dantona by three votes, 17,310 (18.1%) to 17,307 (18.1%), reported the California LP. Her opponent, who spent over $20,000 on the race to O'Brien's zero dollars, didn't concede until December 11.

"There was no way that our opponent was going to make up the gap, [and he wasn't] willing to continue paying $1,200 per day for the count," said Aaron Starr, who coordinated the Libertarian recount-watching operation. "And they couldn't steal it from us because we managed to have enough volunteers to watch the process. This has been an amazing experience!

Richard K. Linville, who was elected to a four-year term as Gem County Prosecuting Attorney in Idaho. Linville is an attorney in Emmett, Idaho and a commercial fisherman on the Copper River in Alaska.

Jon Kueny, who picked up a seat on the Soil and Water Conservation Board (Group Four), in Pasco County, Florida in an unopposed race.

David Barron, who won an unopposed contest for Soil and Water Conservation Board (District Five), in Orange County, Florida

Robert Paty, elected to the post of Public Weigher in Nacogdoches County, Texas.

Ken Hearin, elected as a County Constable in Mobile County, Alabama.

Jerry Vines, elected as a County Constable in Blount County, Alabama.

Mike Ryan, who was elected to the Scott County Agricultural Extension District in Iowa. He won as a write-in in an unopposed race.

William Clem, who won re-election to the partisan position of Jefferson County Surveyor in West Virginia. He was unopposed, and won 5,790 votes.

Linda Strom, elected to the Lakeside Community Planning Area Board, San Diego, CA.

Charlie Lambert, elected to the post of Public Weigher in Hutchinson County, Texas.

In other election news, one Libertarian whose victory was reported last month is already out of a job.

In November, Clyde L. Garland was simultaneously elected as Public Weigher in Brazos County, Texas, and saw his position abolished.

"I ran on the grounds that the position should be abolished," said Garland. "Although no one has ran for or held this position for over 50 years, it was never officially abolished."

Voters heeded his wishes, passing -- with 76% of the vote -- a proposition to abolish the position.

"Congratulatio
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally posted by MIerinMD - I think the pro-gun independents of this board deserve every piece of anti-gun legislation that they themselves have helped to pen.
View Quote

Amen, Brother.  I'm not sure if they [u]deserve[/u] it, but it's the natural result of [b]NOT[/b] presenting a United Front against a Common Enemy.

I say once again, 'Come quickly into the GOP tent and make all things right'.  If the GOP has failed you on occasion, they failed us as well.  

There were times I coulda' strangled the poor ba5tards, too, but face it Bill Clinton was a once-in-a-lifetime opponent.  Like the Left's own 'Ronald Reagan' he brought the term 'teflon presidency' to a new level.  

Difference is, WE DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

Get active in local Republican politics, and support the more conservative candidates in party primaries. I wonder how many of 'us' were hoodwinked by that McCain SOB?

Coming out of the 2000 elections, the Libertarian Party is on the ballot in [b]25[/b] states, according to Winger, compared to 22 for the Green Party, 13 for the Constitution Party, 12 for the Reform Party, and 12 for the Natural Law Party.
View Quote

That's really nice, but I don't think our country has the [b]time[/b] necessary for the Libertarian Party or the Constitution Party to stem the tide against gun ownership.

I didn't even realize that the Libertarian Party was only on the ballot in 25 States! End of debate!

[b]The GOP is the only game in town.[/b]

EricThe(GetREAL)Hun
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
On the ballot in 25 states?

Thanks for proving my point.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]

"In light of the constitutional history, it must be considered as settled
that there is no personal constitutional right, under the Second Amendment,
to own or to use a gun."
--Seth P. Waxman, Clinton appointee, Office of the Solicitor General, U. S. Department of
Justice, August 22, 2000, (excerpt from letter)

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of
ordinary Americans."
      -- William Jefferson Clinton
       USA Today, March 11, 1993

"Gunowners? Screw 'em- where else they gonna go?" - -- Lee Atwater, Republican political consultant to George Bush

"Guns are an abomination."
- -- Richard M. Nixon, to William Safire

The word "bipartisan" usually means some larger-than-usual deception is
being carried out.
-- GEORGE CARLIN

We have two parties in this country: the Stupid party and the Evil party.
--Bill Kristol

When you vote for the least worst, you get the worst.
- --RALPH NADER

I'm getting a little tired of politicians trying to prove how "moderate" and
"centrist" they are by taking more of my money and freedom.  Where's this
center -- somewhere between Lenin and Stalin?
- --ANN COULTER

"If you vote Republican or Democratic, you're giving up. You're saying
there's no hope you'll ever be free, and so you're just going to make the
best of a bad bargain--by voting for the person who will take you to Hell at
the slowest rate." --Harry Browne
- ----------------------------------------

Had enough? Vote Libertarian.
www.lp.org

The firearms issue is the ONLY issue. If I am free, alive, and can defend myself, I can deal with everything else, in due time.

Any questions?

Link Posted: 4/18/2001 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Was a Democrat all my life. Believed only Gov't employees should have guns. I've changed (long story)and am now a libertarian who voted for Bush. The prospect of 4 years of Gore was truly scary.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top