Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2014 6:31:35 PM EDT
I just switched from AT&T POTS line that was charging me $50 a month to the Verizon Home Phone cell unit. $20 a month and it ties into your current share plan. No more long distance charges either!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/home-phone-connect?&zipRdr=y
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
And if you went to Ooma you only pay $99 for the unit and your required taxes each month.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And if you went to Ooma you only pay $99 for the unit and your required taxes each month.
View Quote

ditto, what he said
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
What if your wifi drops out or the internet connection is interrupted? I did read up on the Ooma some good reviews some not so good.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Who still has a land line?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What if your wifi drops out or the internet connection is interrupted? I did read up on the Ooma some good reviews some not so good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going on three years with Ooma.  Never a problem.  If my internet goes out I have my cell phone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

why not?

$20 a month for ours... meh
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The unit flashes red and the calls are automatically forwarded to your cell or other number of choice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Voip.  I don't like getting a bunch of calls on my cell so we keep it as a primary number.

Lots of people keep a POTS line.  Medical reasons are the biggest I run into.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone with an expectation of privacy?  

- THAT does not come with your cell/smart phone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
We've had Vonage for about 8 years.  We like it.  

We set it to "simul-ring" my wife's cell phone.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
why not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why not?

Damn good price. Mind if I ask who is your carrier?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Land line with no features should not be over 20 bucks or so a month
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I just don't like shouting, echoing,moving to different locations to be able to carry on a conversation. VoIP and cell are the hipoints of communications. cheap and reliable but short on quality
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The device OP is using is not VoIP. Its cellular. Its an interface between your POTS phones and a cell tower.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont get it, why not just add a cheap flip phone to your cell plan for 10 bucks a month?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do but not by choice.  Only internet option is DSL and they force it on you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not?

verizon

we're supposed to not be voip - I'm not so sure they actually kept us on copper though

I like having redundant comms in and out - landline, cell, internet, RF - all play a role

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

That is what I just ordered since cell coverage at the house is crap. Should pair nicely with my fiber line and a UPS. Not as bomb proof as a (POTS) landline, but far better than just a cell alone.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The device OP is using is not VoIP. Its cellular. Its an interface between your POTS phones and a cell tower.
View Quote

A non-mobile cell phone? What is this 1985?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I run my fax line on ooma.  Works perfect, never had an issue.  Only cost 3.49 a month.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cellular is VoIP.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#23]
MagicJack here...$30 a year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

required to  by the depart of real estate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just don't like shouting, echoing,moving to different locations to be able to carry on a conversation. VoIP and cell are the hipoints of communications. cheap and reliable but short on quality
View Quote

I haven't had a real landline for over a decade.  Not even my business phones are true landlines, they're VoIP.

Call quality is perfect.  Only time it wasn't so great?  When I first drop my landline 11 years ago and had a Vonage type thing at the house.  The early iterations were not great, but these days, I bet you can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I got a ooma box about 2 years ago and really like it. Tax is about $4 a month. Ooma was $200 at the time but paid for itself in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MagicJack here...$30 a year.
View Quote

Was just about to ask if this is still around.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Ooma FTW!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
ditto, what he said
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ditto, what he said

Yep. Less than $4 a month in taxes for me, too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My land line is $12 with my DSL package, comes with free long distance.  With two youngins in the house, it's important they can make calls when me and my cell phone are out of the house.  And it works during power outages, which is nice.
Funny thing is, the only calls I get on it are for the previous homeowner (who never had this number. it's been mine for 15 years) and my ex wife.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out here in the country, we have no cable TV or internet. It's all by satellite. Of course if it rains real hard, or snow accumulates on the satellite dish, no more TV or internet.
In addition to all that, cell service at my house is marginal, so I have to have a land line. And I pay through the nose for it. $59 a month for unlimited local and long distance, including caller ID.
I'd love to get rid of my land line, but until something new comes along, I'm stuck with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just switched from AT&T POTS line that was charging me $50 a month to the Verizon Home Phone cell unit. $20 a month and it ties into your current share plan. No more long distance charges either!

http://s7.vzw.com/is/image/VerizonWireless/home_phone_connect_f256vw?$device-lg$

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/home-phone-connect?&zipRdr=y
View Quote

Are you sure it's tied to your minutes? Our's is $20 and it doesn't share. It would be $10 a month if it did.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Our stupid telco requires a landline for Internet service or you have to pay a surcharge...  equal to the cost of the landline.   So, it's $100 for Internet .
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ditto, what he said
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto, what he said

Taxes are a few $ per month
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#37]
The reason for having a hardline house line is incase the power goes out of the cell service drops off.

However most people fail to consider the fact that their phones are probably wireless anyway and require an outlet to operate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I dont get it, why not just add a cheap flip phone to your cell plan for 10 bucks a month?
View Quote

Take a fax? My wife is a home health nurse

Wife gets her patient info via fax. It's a VoIP line though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.

If your network is down it will forward calls to your mobile phone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of people including me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Ooma costs me $4 a month, it has been awesome.  Had it for 2 years now with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#42]
lol

who has landlines anymore?  why bother?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And if you would have bought a netalk duo you would have only paid $35 a year, including taxes
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On your analog POTS line with an un-secured dmark on the side of the building?

Yeah, no.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife and I have been looking to get a landline phone now that we bought a house.  We live in Norman, OK and last year when the tornado hit Moore it took out several cell towers, and all internet & cable was out as well.  Therefore no calls in or out for 1 day.  Family in Dallas was beginning to get worried.  That being said, we are hoping to get a copper line telephone system to plug into the wall but it seems like everything runs through the internet now.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a service??
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. We have 4 cell phones and haven't had a land line since 2001.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Say what you want about a line line but I had service on mine through three hurricanes and Houston's epic flood of 2001 in which my home received 32 inches of rain over a 14 hour period.
Most cell phones did not work during these times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no.

Unsecured pedestal in the yard, unsecured crosscut box down the road and any splice along the way.

Pots lines are unsecured at every point along the path of the cable where people have access to the pair.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The landline will only work for a few hours during a power outage anyway, the local loop is powered at the SLC, which generally has an eight hour battery (under ideal circumstances and typical call volumes). We had a nasty ice storm here this February, power was out in most areas for days, at my house over a week. There were thousands of trees down, power, cable and phone lines were all down. The cell phones never missed a beat.

I am an old school phone guy, started working in CO's at 18 years old, twenty two years ago. For years I was convinced that the POTS line was going to have a place in the home for a long time. These days I just don't see a future for that technology. Most cell phones have a longer battery life than a SLC and the wireless providers have solid backup power plans to keep their sites on the air for extended periods of power outage. I have begrudgingly accepted that POTS lines have reached end of their life and really only make sense in areas with poor wifeless reception, or areas where there is no other option for internet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason for having a hardline house line is incase the power goes out of the cell service drops off.

However most people fail to consider the fact that their phones are probably wireless anyway and require an outlet to operate.
The landline will only work for a few hours during a power outage anyway, the local loop is powered at the SLC, which generally has an eight hour battery (under ideal circumstances and typical call volumes). We had a nasty ice storm here this February, power was out in most areas for days, at my house over a week. There were thousands of trees down, power, cable and phone lines were all down. The cell phones never missed a beat.

I am an old school phone guy, started working in CO's at 18 years old, twenty two years ago. For years I was convinced that the POTS line was going to have a place in the home for a long time. These days I just don't see a future for that technology. Most cell phones have a longer battery life than a SLC and the wireless providers have solid backup power plans to keep their sites on the air for extended periods of power outage. I have begrudgingly accepted that POTS lines have reached end of their life and really only make sense in areas with poor wifeless reception, or areas where there is no other option for internet.

I've been working at a phone company for 12 years and now we have things called generators that keep the batteries in the CO powered as long as we have fuel. And also keep batteries in the fiber cabinets charged and going indefinitely. Also copper plant provides TV, Phone and internet up to 50 Mbps using VDSL so POTS lines still have a use.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top