Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sheetz. I could live on their food.

Come to think of it, I do.
View Quote

That was the highlight of my trip up there a couple years ago. Well that and the fried cheeseburger from Jerome Bettis' restaurant .
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Asian influence in SoCal is what attracts me the most but there are a few Mexican restaurants worth visiting too.

There are lots of Chinese, Thai, Filipino, Japanese, and Vietnamese and more than a few Mexicans here.
View Quote

Never a lack of Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc food places that's for sure.

I used to go to Ancho's in Riverside a lot.  Their steak tacos are good and the fresh, hot, homemade tortillas are amazing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
O Sushi in Hoover.(Sushi/Bento/Ramen)
Shonos In Hoover (Japanese Grill)
Joes Italian in Pelham (Duh)
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Climb off your high horse skippy.  My inlaws are Italian and they all call it gravy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do call tomato sauce gravy?

Yep. That's idiotic.  

I've heard it from a smattering of NJ folks. Now, from PA.

I hope it doesn't spread. No real Italian calls pasta sauce "gravy".
Marcella Hazan would be rolling in her grave.

Are there any "real" Italians in NH?
Anyway, it's something I've heard forever in South Philly/South Jersey speak (I pre-date Sopranos by a couple decades).
The implication has always been "gravy" is homemade and "sauce" is not.

Well let it go. All of it.
I've visited Italy many times. I have family members from Italy. I was friends with Marcella Hazan, who brought *real* Italian cooking to America (not the "mozzarella sticks" on Enzo's menu). It's not gravy..
ETA: Actually, call it whatever you like. Looking at their menu, at Enzo's, it probably is "gravy". What bothered me is that in the OP you said that anyone who thinks differently is a "heathen".

Climb off your high horse skippy.  My inlaws are Italian and they all call it gravy.
Oh, I have no doubt that certain Italian-Americans, apparently including your in-laws, call tomato sauce "gravy". They just happen to be wrong. Link.

"Some Italian Americans on the East Coast and around the Chicago area refer to tomato sauce as "gravy", "tomato gravy", or "Sunday gravy", especially sauces with a large quantity of meat simmered in them, similar to the Italian Neapolitan ragù. "Gravy" is an erroneous English translation from the Italian sugo which means juice, but can also mean sauce (as in sugo per pastasciutta). The expression for "gravy" in Italian is sugo d'arrosto, which is literally "juice of a roast" and is not specifically tomato sauce."

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Little place at an intersection on an old country highway serves up the best breakfast you could ask for.  They also are a bakery, and it's where I get all my bread now since I can buy homemade deliciousness right off the cooling rack.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Enzo?  Enzo the Baker?  The guy who took over Nazorine's?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Guadalajara Taqueria is a family owned Mexican joint.  They have a 96% rating on Urban spoon.

This is my favorite, beef tacos with onion and cilantro.  They also have tripe tacos and tongue which is also good.

http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/et/nDthp5RhejqQiA-640m.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. That's idiotic.  

Are there any "real" Italians in NH?

Anyway, it's something I've heard forever in South Philly/South Jersey speak (I pre-date Sopranos by a couple decades).

The implication has always been "gravy" is homemade and "sauce" is not.

Well let it go. All of it.

I've visited Italy many times. I have family members from Italy. I was friends with Marcella Hazan, who brought *real* Italian cooking to America (not the "mozzarella sticks" on Enzo's menu). It's not gravy..

ETA: Actually, call it whatever you like. Looking at their menu, at Enzo's, it probably is "gravy". What bothered me is that in the OP you said that anyone who thinks differently is a "heathen".

Guadalajara Taqueria is a family owned Mexican joint.  They have a 96% rating on Urban spoon.

This is my favorite, beef tacos with onion and cilantro.  They also have tripe tacos and tongue which is also good.

http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/et/nDthp5RhejqQiA-640m.jpg

Crepas, lengua, cabeza. . .

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thai Plate

$9 lunch special includes egg roll.  A good deal for jackson Wy and the best Thai food in jackson.

Run by a small family. Really nice people.
View Quote

Shocker.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I was just introduced to a TINY French cafe serving country style soups and sandwiches.  The woman runs the counter and brings you the food, the man makes the food in front of you.  Amazingly fresh and all around wonderful.

Les Bonne Souppes
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

My family came from Italy in the 20's and it has always been called gravy around here.
God help you if you would have told either of my Grandmothers they were not "real Italians" they would have given you the beating of your life with a wooden spoon.
Marcella Hazan could have learned alot from those two.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

Real Italians laugh at Americans that show up with made up words and dishes that never existed in the old country.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. That's idiotic.  

Agree.

Gravy requires a roux. With the exception of red eye gravy which is still within the definition below.

Webster: Gravy: a sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Best Pho and Thai Restaurant in Renton, Washington. Kim's Mongolian Grill, also in Renton, but I think it may have a different name on it than Kim's now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
The only good Mexi places are hole in the wall.  

And run by the cartel
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be out in SoCal visiting family this weekend for Easter, and we will surely hit Felix's Continental Cafe on the circle in the city of Orange, CA.

On the weekends, they put tables out on the sidewalk on the southwest arc of the traffic circle at the intersection of Chapman and Glassell. Eat a fantastic breakfast and watch custom cars and motorcycles cruise through the circle. Try the tostada latina, basically a sandwich made from two pieces of french toast, with guava jelly in the middle. Dang, it's good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Jus Cookin' in Lakewood, Colorado, looks just like a farmhouse and they sell American food like meatloaf, pot roast, and chicken pot pie. A nice change from all the Italian and Mexican chains.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top