Quoted:

So true!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck getting the guard members around here to side with the feds on a situation like that.

Hey, give me some title 10 orders and 6 months of TAMP and look the fuck out!!

So true!

Would we get tax free status while in the combat zone?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are you sure about that?  I just topped off my "stash" of a  1000rds of 5.56 (and was laughed at by many on here for having so little ammo).  I also bought another 1000rds of 5.56, for plinking.  How many rounds do most PD stations keep on hand?  Outside influences (ie supporters from other states)?

I do not think ammo would be an issue, but I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ammo.

It is drawn from Active Duty installations and they most likely won't let the NG draw any if there is a question about loyalties.

Yes, civilians might procure some for them, they might have some of their own (individually).  Not the 100's of  thousands of rounds needed for a small war.

Are you sure about that?  I just topped off my "stash" of a  1000rds of 5.56 (and was laughed at by many on here for having so little ammo).  I also bought another 1000rds of 5.56, for plinking.  How many rounds do most PD stations keep on hand?  Outside influences (ie supporters from other states)?

Do you have a thousands rounds of 25mm for the Brads?  How many missiles?  Main gun rounds for the MBT's?  Mortar rounds?  Linked 7.62 and 50?  Linking machines?  How many powder cans, shells and fuses for the 155s?  Spare parts?  Enough POL? Snivel gear?  Field sanitation equipment? Engineering vehicles?  CLaymores?  Concertina?  Medical supplies?  Food appropriate to the situation?  Tentage?  Field mess?  And remember most of those armored vehicles are gonna be located on an AD post some where unless shit has changed a LOT since I got out.  Finally, a means to transport it all?

Or do you really think a force armed with M16s and Saws with lots of ammo and maybe 1k per mg is going to go toe to toe with a force with armor and artillery support and all the ammo they want?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It did not happen in NV, why would they just bomb TX and OK?   Of course, NV was a much smaller scenario than the one posted by the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do we assume that OK and TX are on the same side of this dispute? I.e. both standing against the Fed.gov?

I'm pretty sure that a citizen militia backed by NG from two states against the Fed would give the Fed a pause for about half a milisecond before they carpet bombed both states just to make a point.

It did not happen in NV, why would they just bomb TX and OK?   Of course, NV was a much smaller scenario than the one posted by the OP.

Not to mention in NV the State government didn't say fuck you we is sending armed troops to fight you.  Which could explain why bombs didn't get used.

Nah, must be the feds are pussies.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm so hard right now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm so hard right now.
View Quote

Settle down bro.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If activated by the governor, NG is under title 32.  The governor pays them with state money and they respond to the State Governor.

The POTUS can activate them under Title 10, though.  Because the Feds pay for annual training and drill, POTUS retains call-up authority to activate guardsmen -- assuming the feds pay the bill.  If under Title 10, though, then the insurrection act applies (i.e. posse comitatus), which limits what they can do.  I imagine the feds could pay them to sit in their armories and do nothing.
View Quote

I feel like you do not know many guardsmen
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But what if it gets even more confusing? Texas actually has its own air force, and army the governor can activate.
View Quote

Please tell me you're NOT referring to the "texas state guard" as a military branch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Please tell me you're NOT referring to the "texas state guard" as a military branch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what if it gets even more confusing? Texas actually has its own air force, and army the governor can activate.

However effete one might think it is, it is a part of the State's military forces.  States can and do have their own military forces, entirely separate from national ones, after all, and they have since the beginning of the Union.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have a thousands rounds of 25mm for the Brads?  How many missiles?  Main gun rounds for the MBT's?  Mortar rounds?  Linked 7.62 and 50?  Linking machines?  How many powder cans, shells and fuses for the 155s?  Spare parts?  Enough POL? Snivel gear?  Field sanitation equipment? Engineering vehicles?  CLaymores?  Concertina?  Medical supplies?  Food appropriate to the situation?  Tentage?  Field mess?  And remember most of those armored vehicles are gonna be located on an AD post some where unless shit has changed a LOT since I got out.  Finally, a means to transport it all?

Or do you really think a force armed with M16s and Saws with lots of ammo and maybe 1k per mg is going to go toe to toe with a force with armor and artillery support and all the ammo they want?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ammo.

It is drawn from Active Duty installations and they most likely won't let the NG draw any if there is a question about loyalties.

Yes, civilians might procure some for them, they might have some of their own (individually).  Not the 100's of  thousands of rounds needed for a small war.

In the OP's scenario I don't think ammo would be a problem at all because I just don't see it coming down to fighting. It would all be political posturing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

However effete one might think it is, it is a part of the State's military forces.  States can and do have their own military forces, entirely separate from national ones, after all, and they have since the beginning of the Union.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevermind that almost all of them have been disarmed and effectively neutered. Private unorganized militias have more firepower than your average state "militia". Let's just look at Texas for example, per their website:
Q. DOES THE TEXAS STATE GUARD TRAIN WITH OR CARRY WEAPONS?

No. The Texas State Guard is not an armed force, nor does it have any law enforcement authority. There may be an opportunity to qualify on pistol dependent upon unit training schedules. Also, TXSG members may voluntarily compete in the annual Texas Military Forces rifle and pistol competitions if they desire.

Most of their units are "Civil Affairs", and I use that term very loosely.

State defense forces are a joke if you think they're going to be taking part in any kind of combat.

Jesus Christ people, in this day and age no governor of any state is going to call out their NG or SG to butt heads with the feds. They are all, in some way, beholden to big brother. No state government is going to ever sanction, approve, or support any kind of overt armed action against federal forces.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In the OP's scenario I don't think ammo would be a problem at all because I just don't see it coming down to fighting. It would all be political posturing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ammo.

1.  I was responding to the specific point about ammo brought up by the poster I quoted.
2.  Ammo was only part of my list.  Being able to maintain a large body of troops in the field is a complicated process and requires a lot of other shit that many states would have difficulty providing in adequate amounts, for a long duration of time and in a timely manner.  The longer the shit goes onAnd the feds would be more than willing to drag it out and increase the pain even if they weren't willing to start shooting. the more critical that shit becomes. There is a reason through out history most wartime deaths are disease and accident related.

Some other factors I did not mention that would still be a factor would include:
1. Impact on the states economy.  This would include sm taking pay cuts, their businesses possibly being shut down while they are gone and them having limited amounts of opportunity to spend what money they have.  Not to mention most states don't budgethe money to call up a significant percentage of their Guard force for a few months or a year.  Hell, call out the COARNG for a blizzard and the state is declaring an emergency to get the feds to foot the bill.
2.Impact on public safety.  There are a lot of cops and firefighters in the Guard as well as other municipal and county employees that have skills you don't teach some one in a couple days.  Houston losing 20 cos, 10 firefighters and 4 waterguys no big deal.  Some small town losing 3 of their 14 cops, 4 of their volley firefighters and two of the 5 water guys is a much bigger issue.  If you start picking and choosing to minimize impacts you start causing issues with appropriate manning, chain of command and unit cohesion.
3.  Public safety two:  If a significant part of the Guard is called up what happens if there are floods, tornados etc?  Is NM or CO gonna bail us out or are we fucked?
4.  While lots of folks are saying oh you don't know many guys in the Guard, it's TX they'll say fuck the feds, etc.  Consider this once they get they order for fed several they are under the UCMJ.  How many are going to go oh, the feds are issuing arrest warrants for desertion?  I am going to get a dishonorable or less than honorable?  Those guys will start thinking about the impact that is going to have on them for the rest of their lives.  The govs of TX and OK might be able to work out a deal but you won't know that for a while.
5.  Other impacts on SM's.  Not just separation from family but other factors.  Stress (is this gonna get me a DD?, will my business survive?  Can we pay the bills on a reduced income cause it ain't gonna be federally exempt on income tax like a trip to the Gulf. etc.).  Job issues, namely I'm thinking all those protections under the soldiers and sailors relief act go out the window if you are a deserter.  Or lord forbid your job requires a security clearance or criminal background check and you suck a DD for AWOL or desertion.  Or work for the Feds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nevermind that almost all of them have been disarmed and effectively neutered. Private unorganized militias have more firepower than your average state "militia". Let's just look at Texas for example, per their website:

State defense forces are a joke if you think they're going to be taking part in any kind of combat.

Jesus Christ people, in this day and age no governor of any state is going to call out their NG or SG to butt heads with the feds. They are all, in some way, beholden to big brother. No state government is going to ever sanction, approve, or support any kind of overt armed action against federal forces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The Texas State Guard is not an armed force, nor does it have any law enforcement authority. There may be an opportunity to qualify on pistol dependent upon unit training schedules. Also, TXSG members may voluntarily compete in the annual Texas Military Forces rifle and pistol competitions if they desire.

But it's TX and OK!  They would rather die than take a penny of money from the feds!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, don’t lock this thread. I reference the Nevada incident but this is not a thread about that.

Second of all this is not about enticing a civil war or anything against the .GOV, this is purely hypothetical.

I was reading earlier about the issue happening right now on the Red River, the Oklahoma and Texas border, where the BLM is contemplating the boundaries of the states and with that the possible seizure of private lands. If you want more details here is the link to that.

http://misguidedchildren.com/domestic-affairs/2014/04/red-river-rumble-blm-wants-to-seize-90000-acres-of-texas-ranchers-land/18596

My hypothetical scenario goes like this.

Let’s say the FEDS do try to seize the Red River land and you have another scene like you had in Nevada only on a much larger scale. Now you have much more people involved from two states with a much larger population than Nevada. I’m speaking of Oklahoma and Texas. You also have a population that is now emboldened after the ”win” by the militia in Nevada.

Let’s say it gets to the boiling point and Governor Perry ( or Mary Falin)calls the National Guard to State Active Duty, which he/she can do. Only he calls them to duty to side with the militia and go against the FEDS.

I don’t claim to be an expert in the process of controlling the different branches but I thought this was an interesting situation that is in the realm of possibility.

This is not meant to be an Active Duty vs. Guard thread as I know plenty of both and I know plenty of both who would side together with one side or the other if it came this. So please keep this on track and let’s not turn this into a pissing contest.

It’s all yours Arfcom!!!

Do you history bro? Yes

The National Guard of any state can be Federalized (activated) by Presidential order - as fast as a phone call. Yes I know.

Eisenhower activated the Arkansas NG when Gov. Fabus tried to use them prevent the Little Rock 9 from going to school (desegregation). Yes I know. Not a blatant activation because of Federal action

Likewise, JFK activated the AL NG when Gov. Wallace tried the same tactic (Univ of AL desegregation). Yes I know. Not a blatant activation because of Federal action and already discussed in thread

Mass. Gov. Dukakis (Progressive Democrat) tried (with other Democrat governors) to order the Mass NG not to train in Central America on their active duty for training. President Reagan and the Federal courts laughed.

Yes I know. Not a blatant activation because of Federal action

Now, if there was some clear Constitutional issue and people knew it, would the Guard take a position? Now we are getting somewhere.

That depends. Is there a recognizable issue? Is there actual or perceived cause? Or is it herp and derp?

In other words, is the line crossed for enough of the Texas or Oklahoma state governments and the people of which ever state or just for some hot heads that masturbate over civil war? This is the million dollar question. The Nevada issue to me does not meet your criteria but Bundy clearly has some past history and some legal issues that he has been facing and I don't believe he is out of the woods yet. Now the situation in Texas appears to be different. Its still early but it appears more innocent on the ranchers side and more sinister on the BLM. Time will tell.

A bunch of hot heads - called the fire-eaters, instigated a civil war in this country in 1860-61 - convincing several states that if Lincoln got elected it was the end of their peculiar institution.  That's fact.

Looking back, we know now that Lincoln would not have done that (he didn't think he had the authority), but at the time these rabble rousers  used speeches and newspapers and rallies to convince people.

Whole states elected or appointed state-wide conventions to discuss secession, then those states voted on secession, either through their legislature or in plebiscites.  Enough states seceded to form a government in Montgomery.  A government, by the way, whose constitutional convention was a conservative revolution that froze out the radical fire eaters (see Government of Our Own: The Making of the Confederacy by William C. Davis and The Confederacy as a Revolutionary Experience by Emory C. Davis).

It is certainly apparent that there was mass popular support for secession in 1860-1.  And the bellicose South was convinced that if it came to war they would win it, so it's also obvious there was support for the war.  A war that most of the fire-eaters played no major part in.

So this over-confident young Confederacy picked a fight at a place called Fort Sumter.

Today?

"Lots" of internet posturing by people who claim to be "We the People".  Are they?

Is 5000 acres between Texas and Oklahoma worth a civil war that will kill millions?  I know nations have gone to war for less, but do 51% of Texicans give a shit enough to march off singing 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'?

Is the Texas Capitol filled with ringing oration galvanizing the people of Texas to war?

And to cross-walk back to Mr. Cliven Bundy, is the critical mass of "We the People" (the actual 350 million or so Americans) so fired up over BLM that even 10% of "We the People" will leave our homes and hearths to war's rapine and ruin to fight and die for it?

Tens of thousands of young Southerners marched of in 1861 thinking war was all glory and sunshine - that one great battle where each would whip 10 Yankees would end it.

They were wrong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck getting the guard members around here to side with the feds on a situation like that.

So true!

Now you've got my attention. So, do I still get BAH and combat pay if it's in my back yard? Can I commute to and from the new war from my house? Do I get mileage and per diem?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now you've got my attention. So, do I still get BAH and combat pay if it's in my back yard? Can I commute to and from the new war from my house? Do I get mileage and per diem?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true!

Would you become eligible for membership in the Veterans of Domestic Wars?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Would you become eligible for membership in the Veterans of Domestic Wars?
View Quote

Shit, good point! Cheep booze is always a perk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A bunch of hot heads - called the fire-eaters, instigated a civil war in this country in 1860-61 - convincing several states that if Lincoln got elected it was the end of their peculiar institution.  That's fact.

Looking back, we know now that Lincoln would not have done that (he didn't think he had the authority), but at the time these rabble rousers  used speeches and newspapers and rallies to convince people.

Whole states elected or appointed state-wide conventions to discuss secession, then those states voted on secession, either through their legislature or in plebiscites.  Enough states seceded to form a government in Montgomery.  A government, by the way, whose constitutional convention was a conservative revolution that froze out the radical fire eaters (see Government of Our Own: The Making of the Confederacy by William C. Davis and The Confederacy as a Revolutionary Experience by Emory C. Davis).

It is certainly apparent that there was mass popular support for secession in 1860-1.  And the bellicose South was convinced that if it came to war they would win it, so it's also obvious there was support for the war.  A war that most of the fire-eaters played no major part in.

So this over-confident young Confederacy picked a fight at a place called Fort Sumter.

Today?

"Lots" of internet posturing by people who claim to be "We the People".  Are they?

Is 5000 acres between Texas and Oklahoma worth a civil war that will kill millions?  I know nations have gone to war for less, but do 51% of Texicans give a shit enough to march off singing 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'?

Is the Texas Capitol filled with ringing oration galvanizing the people of Texas to war?

And to cross-walk back to Mr. Cliven Bundy, is the critical mass of "We the People" (the actual 350 million or so Americans) so fired up over BLM that even 10% of "We the People" will leave our homes and hearths to war's rapine and ruin to fight and die for it?

Tens of thousands of young Southerners marched of in 1861 thinking war was all glory and sunshine - that one great battle where each would whip 10 Yankees would end it.

They were wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SNIP

Today?

They were wrong.
Well said.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you'd read my previous post and understood what effete means, you'd know that I'm quite aware of these things.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top