[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do reaize NIJ type IV plates are rated against .30-06 M2 AP right? Fucking air wingers.

Pull the bullets and load them into .300 weatherby.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well I got friends that spend lots O money and pointless, useless shit that would never be anything that if SHTF they could use. I figure that spending a few hundred for items that I may never use but that COULD one day be used to save my life.... Well that is an investment that I was willing to make. Its a few hundred Bucks. If a time ever comes where there is shooting going on in our great country. The time will be to late to get them. Just my .02
View Quote

You can just follow the crumb trail back to some dead Arfcom basement dwelling fatty's horde and stock up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Once the food riots start I'm sleeping in mine
View Quote

after the 2nd night you will risk having it near by.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Because when it came time to load for and test fire my big gun, I wanted something that would stop hardened steel at a distance of a few inches to a few feet.  Loading for a 60mm starts at 25gr of Unique powder to chuck a 5lb projo.  It goes up from there up to ~70gr of powder for a full power shot.  At those loads, I didn't want a material deficiency coupled with a run of bad luck made my wife a widow.  

Cheap insurance when test firing one of these guys for the first time.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do reaize NIJ type IV plates are rated against .30-06 M2 AP right? Fucking air wingers.

I do have a .300 wby and .300 win
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol

Because PASGT is for gun show hillbillies
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My .02 cents on plate carriers:

For military (and some police) applications they are great pieces of gear; compact, space efficient with just the ballistic protection you need for your upper body vital area.  For this category they are probably one of the best evolutions of gear we have yet seen for  the warfighter.  Like all Marines in Afghanistan I was issued and used the Eagle SPC.  The one problem we faced is that when you load up your plate carrier with front, back, and side SAPI plates, magazines, water, radio, grenades and whatever else you are carrying too much weight to chase after anybody for any long period of time.

For civilian in CONUS SHTF scenarios I have a lot of mixed feelings for the plate carrier.  Per the many pic threads of plate carriers most people opt to mount all their pouches on them directly which is great for overt military type applications but that is far from a civilian SHTF requirement where it may pay to be anonymous.  Too many here think GI Joe for SHTF when they should be thinking Viet Cong.

So from reading the thread:

Person owns a PC just because....Your money your choice.  People have spent far greater money on worse things

Person owns a PC for range use in case of AD/NDs: This is a good one.  The PC covers just your upper chest vital areas especially if you don't use the side SAPI plates and at almost zero degrees of obliquity (straight at you).  Unless you have all areas covered like your head, throat, neck, and femoral, you can take a shot and die just the same.  What may help mitigate risk more at your local public range is the following:

*Observe and yell at the person next to you as necessary, "WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!!!"

*Go when its less busy

*Don't go to the public range

Person owns a PC for in CONUS SHTF:

*If you plan on going into the offense then yes a PC will be essential but so is a helmet too.  If you own a PC but no Helmet you only have half the equation.

*In a worst case SHTF situation you may not have access to medical facilities.  You can still get injured if shot with a PC, it is not a force field.  Even if you get a superficial GSW without medical attention you may still die from infection anyways.

*If you own a PC for SHTF I suggest you leave it slick and wear another rig over it so you can always ditch the PC to reconfigure your load as your mission dictates.  As I said in the opening you may want to be discrete and not stick out looking like a DEVGRU assaulter.  

*You better get outside and train with your PC with full load; in a rifle class, a hike or a run.  If you have all this stuff but haven't trained in it you are kidding yourself.

*What will probably save you more so than armor is sound and smart tactics: moving out at night, camouflage (blending in with other people), immediate action drills, and avoiding all contact.

My USMC issued Eagle SPC, Marjeh, AFG 2010.  For in CONUS SHTF I would NOT go this way.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You could also get broken ribs and bruised organs from taking a close enough / hard enough hit in armor.

ETA: Not advocating against having a PC or armor; but the guy above me makes some good points. I do have an interceptor vest; but, would like a more modern and stronger PC system.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Herp derp I like guns, but wouldn't ever expect to be fired back at.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because when it came time to load for and test fire my big gun, I wanted something that would stop hardened steel at a distance of a few inches to a few feet.  Loading for a 60mm starts at 25gr of Unique powder to chuck a 5lb projo.  It goes up from there up to ~70gr of powder for a full power shot.  At those loads, I didn't want a material deficiency coupled with a run of bad luck made my wife a widow.  

Cheap insurance when test firing one of these guys for the first time.  

http://webpages.charter.net/angwingnut/Mortar/4.jpg
View Quote

That is fucking awesome, I suppose you don't have an explosives magazine and just chuck solids, but that is still awesome.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
But what if, in a SHTF situation, everyone else has a PC? If you want to "blend" and not be noticed, you'd need one.

So, makes sense to have one... just in case.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For military (and some police) applications they are great pieces of gear; compact, space efficient with just the ballistic protection you need for your upper body vital area.  For this category they are probably one of the best evolutions of gear we have yet seen for  the warfighter.  Like all Marines in Afghanistan I was issued and used the Eagle SPC.  The one problem we faced is that when you load up your plate carrier with front, back, and side SAPI plates, magazines, water, radio, grenades and whatever else you are carrying too much weight to chase after anybody for any long period of time.

For civilian in CONUS SHTF scenarios I have a lot of mixed feelings for the plate carrier.  Per the many pic threads of plate carriers most people opt to mount all their pouches on them directly which is great for overt military type applications but that is far from a civilian SHTF requirement where it may pay to be anonymous.  Too many here think GI Joe for SHTF when they should be thinking Viet Cong.

Person owns a PC just because....Your money your choice.  People have spent far greater money on worse things

Person owns a PC for range use in case of AD/NDs: This is a good one.  The PC covers just your upper chest vital areas especially if you don't use the side SAPI plates and at almost zero degrees of obliquity (straight at you).  Unless you have all areas covered like your head, throat, neck, and femoral, you can take a shot and die just the same.  What may help mitigate risk more at your local public range is the following:
*Observe and yell at the person next to you as necessary, "WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!!!"
*Go when its less busy

*If you plan on going into the offense then yes a PC will be essential but so is a helmet too.  If you own a PC but no Helmet you only have half the equation.
*In a worst case SHTF situation you may not have access to medical facilities.  You can still get injured if shot with a PC, it is not a force field.  Even if you get a superficial GSW without medical attention you may still die from infection anyways.
*If you own a PC for SHTF I suggest you leave it slick and wear another rig over it so you can always ditch the PC to reconfigure your load as your mission dictates.  As I said in the opening you may want to be discrete and not stick out looking like a DEVGRU assaulter.  
*You better get outside and train with your PC with full load; in a rifle class, a hike or a run.  If you have all this stuff but haven't trained in it you are kidding yourself.
*What will probably save you more so than armor is sound and smart tactics: moving out at night, camouflage (blending in with other people), immediate action drills, and avoiding all contact.

View Quote

I think having one in event of home invasion is also very legit, and a far more likely than "CONUS SHTF."  I can grab my rig and have everything I need -- reloads, light, first aid kit, cell phone to call the cops, pistol, etc -- on my person.  Plus armor so I am less likely to be killed by JoJo the crackhead and his sawed off 12 gauge or his buddy JimBob's 30-30.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:37:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If something serious enough happens that I have to defend my home with a rifle, they are probably shooting my way, too.
View Quote

Not to pick on your specifically, but for the non-LEO Mil who are talking about having plates for home defense, where do you store your soft armor/ plates?
I recall Mas Ayoob years ago talking about keeping an old vest under his bed to throw on if he had to get up to investigate bumps in the night.
My plate carrier comes into the house from my car every night after work, but I don't neccesarily put it in the bedroom every night.
So where do you guys store your armor and whats your plan if you aren't near it when stuff theoretically goes south?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not to pick on your specifically, but for the non-LEO Mil who are talking about having plates for home defense, where do you store your soft armor/ plates?
I recall Mas Ayoob years ago talking about keeping an old vest under his bed to throw on if he had to get up to investigate bumps in the night.
My plate carrier comes into the house from my car every night after work, but I don't neccesarily put it in the bedroom every night.
So where do you guys store your armor and whats your plan if you aren't near it when stuff theoretically goes south?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If something serious enough happens that I have to defend my home with a rifle, they are probably shooting my way, too.

Mine and wife's are on a shelf in our walk in closet with a rifle, shotgun and reloads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mine and wife's are on a shelf in our walk in closet with a rifle, shotgun and reloads.

View Quote

Whats your plan if you're in the garage turning wrenches or at the kitchen table eating your waffles and bad things happen?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Serious question, help me understand.  As a civilian (non-mil, non-leo), why do you own plates?

I have my rifle, chest rig, and mag pouches, but no plates.  My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  Plates would just slow me down.  

Poll inbound
View Quote

Plate carriers are not for soft armor alone.  They are for ceramic or steel rifle protection plates.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep mine in a closet but have no real plan to use it. There is no way I'd have time to put it on in a typical home invasion. The last thing I want is to hear a bump in the night, start putting on my armor, and then be attacked while having it half on and my mobility restricted.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
5.56 in your chest slows you down more than plates.
View Quote

haha,...true
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Whats your plan if you're in the garage turning wrenches or at the kitchen table eating your waffles and bad things happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they made it past the dogs without me being alerted they are probably cops and my dogs are dead :-(

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bring my vest inside when I get home from work as well, then I put it on the back of one of my dining room table's chairs. I'm not a believer in grabbing my vest in a situation when someone is entering my home. Since building clearing is a 2 person job and I'm the only person in my home with any training in doing so I will not be going to engage the threat, rather hunker down in the bedroom with the door locked while the GF is on phone with 911. You have insurance for a reason. I don't see it being too realistic to be putting gear on when seconds count.

ETA: I'm curious how many people in this thread are running AR500 vs. Ceramic, and how much they have actually used their gear to see if they can even deal with it if they get into a situation.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think having one in event of home invasion is also very legit, and a far more likely than "CONUS SHTF."  I can grab my rig and have everything I need -- reloads, light, first aid kit, cell phone to call the cops, pistol, etc -- on my person.  Plus armor so I am less likely to be killed by JoJo the crackhead and his sawed off 12 gauge or his buddy JimBob's 30-30.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Go when its less busy

We lost a deputy here a few years back, serving a warrant, he was shot with a .30-30 went though his 3a vest like butter, plates would have more than likely saved him
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Because there is a market for it and Freedom?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bring my vest inside when I get home from work as well, then I put it on the back of one of my dining room table's chairs. I'm not a believer in grabbing my vest in a situation when someone is entering my home. Since building clearing is a 2 person job and I'm the only person in my home with any training in doing so I will not be going to engage the threat, rather hunker down in the bedroom with the door locked while the GF is on phone with 911. You have insurance for a reason. I don't see it being too realistic to be putting gear on when seconds count.

ETA: I'm curious how many people in this thread are running AR500 vs. Ceramic, and how much they have actually used their gear to see if they can even deal with it if they get into a situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have ceramics.  I train in it and go for runs wearing it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us have mannequins we set it on
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Serious question, help me understand.  As a civilian (non-mil, non-leo), why do you own plates?

I have my rifle, chest rig, and mag pouches, but no plates.  My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  Plates would just slow me down.  

Poll inbound
View Quote

why bother owning any guns to begin with?
its a tool. good armor can stop upto .308
most prolific small arm out there is chambered in 5.56 and I THINK pretty
much all the rifle plates out there will stop it.

what I dont understand is why you WOULDNT get plates with your carrier.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear it, I'm pretty sure for most people this isn't the case. Most probably run AR500 because of the price and have never trained in it. Both of which can be bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#29]
"When the shit starts, everything I need will be laying around on the ground"

That's my philosphy when it comes to .mil level gear.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]
So OP, are you getting plates?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because some day I might need them.
View Quote

Don't have but will eventually
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why not? is the answer.  Yet I do find the whole dress up thing kinda ridiculous sometimes.
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#33]
It's better to have it and not need it versus not having it and needing it.

Also if you can get good plates make sure you do.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I use them when I work security at the second largest mall in America.  Ive been thinking about upgrading to something heavier lately, though
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Mas has a vest with a cellphone, mags, etc. by his bed, and I been doing the same thing since talking to him about it.  Also have a PC on wife's side, two in vehicle and one in my office (hanging on a coat-hanger on the back of the door).  

I wouldn't grab my vest/PC in response to investigating a noise in middle of the night unless I KNEW I had time.  As others have stated, getting caught 1/2 in would be an awkward thing.  I completely agree with Involus' comment about insurance.  As a father, though, I would exit my 'safe area' to retrieve my children.  Therefore, I do anticipate having to confront the problem on the way there and back prior to help arriving.  I think this is a great example of why people should have layers of defense (obstacles that buy you additional time between someone breaking in the exterior of your home and having access to your sleeping quarters).  I would don armor in many other situations too.  I live in hurricane country on an island.  If manning roadblocks afterwards, for example - I'd armor up.  It sounds funny, but I've worn armor when doing driving I knew was going to be very dangerous.  

We have mix of AR500 (backup gear) and ceramic (primary gear).  I DO wear during training and wear every time I go to the range.  I don't care if people point or whisper about the stupid guy wearing armor at the range.  It changes your gun-handling, and I'd like to be very competent shooting with armor on.  Further, rumor has it being around a bunch of strangers with loaded weapons and unknown training is a really good way to get shot!  The same people who look at me funny go out to the parking lot and immediately put on their seatbelt (because rumor has it you're more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle accident while actually IN a motor vehicle) .
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, Mas has a vest with a cellphone, mags, etc. by his bed, and I been doing the same thing since talking to him about it.  Also have a PC on wife's side, two in vehicle and one in my office (hanging on a coat-hanger on the back of the door).  

I wouldn't grab my vest/PC in response to investigating a noise in middle of the night unless I KNEW I had time.  As others have stated, getting caught 1/2 in would be an awkward thing.  I completely agree with Involus' comment about insurance.  As a father, though, I would exit my 'safe area' to retrieve my children.  Therefore, I do anticipate having to confront the problem on the way there and back prior to help arriving.  I think this is a great example of why people should have layers of defense (obstacles that buy you additional time between someone breaking in the exterior of your home and having access to your sleeping quarters).  I would don armor in many other situations too.  I live in hurricane country on an island.  If manning roadblocks afterwards, for example - I'd armor up.  It sounds funny, but I've worn armor when doing driving I knew was going to be very dangerous.  

We have mix of AR500 (backup gear) and ceramic (primary gear).  I DO wear during training and wear every time I go to the range.  I don't care if people point or whisper about the stupid guy wearing armor at the range.  It changes your gun-handling, and I'd like to be very competent shooting with armor on.  Further, rumor has it being around a bunch of strangers with loaded weapons and unknown training is a really good way to get shot!  The same people who look at me funny go out to the parking lot and immediately put on their seatbelt (because rumor has it you're more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle accident while actually IN a motor vehicle) .
View Quote

I don't see the theoretical seconds to don a carrier to automatically be excessive.
if you've practiced with it you at least throw it on; even if you don't cinch down the cummerbunds you have the main body of the carrier with ammo etc on you.
I guess its a tradeoff and you have to take into consideration the layout of your house and other security measures in effect like dogs, alarms, etc
I use ceramics
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Poll inbound
View Quote

You wrongly assume that these people plan to someday go up against the government.

What if there is no government?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't comment on why people choose to own plates, it is their personal choice, however, you are incorrect in your belief that plates will not stop rifle rounds.  Soft armor is designed to stop handgun rounds and plates are designed to stop rifle rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poll inbound

I can't comment on why people choose to own plates, it is their personal choice, however, you are incorrect in your belief that plates will not stop rifle rounds.  Soft armor is designed to stop handgun rounds and plates are designed to stop rifle rounds.

Do a search, Ol' Painless did a test on the effects of rifle shots to a plate.  It will answer your questions about their effectiveness.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#39]
A carrier beats duct tape

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You wrongly assume that these people plan to someday go up against the government.

What if there is no government?
View Quote

Then all this talk about being surprised while sleeping quietly in your bed wouldn't apply
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Because there's a chance (however remote) I might need it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to do that, but with .300 Win Mag.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#43]
how are these priced?
good deal?
PC with two AR500 plates, starting at $210...
Link
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
how are these priced?
good deal?
Link
View Quote

Check out the Target Man he's in our industry forum and has great prices.

ETA His also have spall protection. A must have when dealing with steel armor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Poll inbound
View Quote

Unless .gov shot you with a .50 cal or AP .30 that plate is going to stop it. (yea, yea, 300 win mag and specialty calibers .338 etc.)

But I agree that a plate carrier only covers vitals, and unless you have immediate medical evac you're likely going to bleed out from a serious leg or arm or head wound. (if in a lone wolf scenario.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I will buy body armor one day, my logic being that I MIGHT need it sometime.

However, it's main purpose will be for use in shoot house classes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote

Protects
Against
Skittles
Girl
Thrown
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

how are these priced?

good deal?

Link
View Quote
Tag. I've been looking at the next level up one with curved plates, this one http://www.ar500armor.com/operator-ii-plate-carrier-w-armor-and-pouches-coyote.html#.U0vxYPldV8E

I'd use it without all the pouches most likely, as others have stated I'd more like to blend in with it under a jacket or something in SHTF than look all commando-y and stick out like a sore thumb. I have a belt with my mag carriers and etc that I like to use already for that.

Weighing getting a setup like the linked vs just finding a IIIA soft plate and carrier setup.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Some shoot house courses require them. Because I'd like to take a shoothouse course at some point it seemed prudent to invest in plates.

I live in an area subject to hurricanes. If Katrina 2.0 visited my area and bands of dazzling young hooligans decided my sub-division looked tempting post-storm, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me.

If an active shooter scenario unfolded near my home, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me while my family posted up somewhere safe.

I have no illusions of suddenly going all GI Joe. But there are some scenarios that I feel a set of plates could be handy for a middle aged doughy civilian type.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

I'm jealous.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top