Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/12/2014 10:13:10 AM EDT
I'm going to put a few videos up.  The first is a trailer for this film released in January 2014, and the second is a great interview with the filmmaker.  I know there are lots of threads here in GD about the subject of Child Support, and Divorce, but there are few solutions ever offered, other then don't get married, or don't get divorced.  

It doesn't have to be this way.  Check it out, and pass it on.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to put a few videos up.  The first is a trailer for this film released in January 2014, and the second is a great interview with the filmmaker.  I know there are lots of threads here in GD about the subject of Child Support, and Divorce, but there are few solutions ever offered, other then don't get married........
View Quote

Works for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"Family Court" is the biggest travesty to befall the American way
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
in California if you have children Family court wont let you get a divorse unless you have lawyers. its "for the children"

Also have alimony for life once married 10-years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Family Court" is the biggest travesty to befall the American way
View Quote

Family Court is a $50 Billion dollar industry in the United States.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

in California if you have children Family court wont let you get a divorse unless you have lawyers. its "for the children"

View Quote

Those are remnants from a time that woman were viewed as something between children and adults.  The courts took the stand to "protect"  them, like they would children.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
lawyers are bottom feeders
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
After I paid 1000. for a lawyer to show up and do literally nothing and watch me get screwed, I said F this, I'm doing it my self. I still lost but at least I felt like I was heard and I was fighting. That was the first round. Took her to court later for custody, by myself (because she was being stupid) and I got custody of my son. I went on line and found a fathers advocate that I paid about a grand to for information. The info wasn't even that good at the time, but what it did do, was show me fathers can fight and win. That was worth what I paid for.

Your public library and the net are your best sources. Get to the family law sections and start reading.

I always said two people can have an amicable divorce until one of them gets a lawyer.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
poor choices lead to family court.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Great post OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

nice edit
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Some of you might be interested in this....

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Im in for the butthurt cause I don't have anything else to be pissed off about right now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

nice edit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

interesting how it is the court, not the folks who fucked up their marriages and whatnot, that is at fault.

remind me to blame the DMV the next time i crash my car into a phone pole.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im in for the butthurt cause I don't have anything else to be pissed off about right now.
View Quote

There's a fairly contentious hair dye thread going on if you want to get in on that one too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please explain.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

dont see how thats legal
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There's a fairly contentious hair dye thread going on if you want to get in on that one too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In on that one too thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

thanks.

interesting how it is the court, not the folks who fucked up their marriages and whatnot, that is at fault.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

A spouse, unlike your car, does not come with a warranty covering defects.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

yeah, so what? would you like a marriage warranty from uncle sugar???
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks.

About half of all marriages in the Western world end in divorce.  That's not at issue here.  There are countries that don't involve attorneys in the dissolution of marriage, or for things like child support.  Their divorce rate is just as bad as ours, but they don't feed a $50 billion bureaucratic monster tearing each other apart in public.  

There is another way.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that heating up?  I haven't gone there yet, subject matter seemed of little interest.
But if the purses are swinging, it may be time to go visit.

Re: the OP, a buddy of mine got into a dispute with his wife, law got involved.
He's told me with 100% certainty that the "process" destroyed his marriage and family and that had they not been forced into the process, that all was completely salvageable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#24]
if you have kids, pay up.

if your wife stayed at home and raised the kids while you worked, pay up.

easy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

easy.
View Quote

Thats pretty simplistic.

If you chose to stay home rather than work and you get divorced, step up and get a job. Its not 1950.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#26]
What a BUNCH of BULLSHIT.

Blame everyone, but yourself huh? Why not? That's the American way I guess. The real truth is though that a divorce is only as costly and expensive as the parties make it.  If you are going to fight over an equitable distribution of marital assets and fight over the children than that's on you and your soon to be ex spouse.  At any time during a divorce the complaining party can withdraw their complaint in most jurisdictions.

Don't blame the courts. Don't blame the lawyers.  You need someone to blame look in the mirror.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

Wow.....what a stupid analogy.

It takes two people to keep a marriage together. You could be Ghandi and your wife could still fuck you over...or vice versa.

To use your analogy, you would have to assume that telephone poles can jump out in front of you and then when it happens, the DMV gets involved between you and you insurance company and fucks everything up to leave you broke and homeless.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Blame everyone, but yourself huh? Why not? That's the American way I guess. The real truth is though that a divorce is only as costly and expensive as the parties make it.  If you are going to fight over an equitable distribution of marital assets and fight over the children than that's on you and your soon to be ex spouse.  At any time during a divorce the complaining party can withdraw their complaint in most jurisdictions.

Don't blame the courts. Don't blame the lawyers.  You need someone to blame look in the mirror.

View Quote

In California (if you have children) you do not have the option of comming to an agreement of an equitable distribution of marital assets and child custody/support. You must each have a lawyer, "for the Children." Whichever spouse makes more money pays for both lawyers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lemme guess, you're a divorce attorney?

And just how the fuck are you supposed to control the actions of the other party? You could try to be as reasonable as possible but if the other party is out for blood you are fucked.

Jesus, some serious lack of critical skills thinking going on here.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thats pretty simplistic.

If you chose to stay home rather than work and you get divorced, step up and get a job. Its not 1950.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

easy.

Thats pretty simplistic.

even if agreed on by the couple?

its not simplistic. The system works. I just think people abuse and stir up shit to get back at each other.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

dont see how thats legal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont see how thats legal

Because lawyers are the ones who draft the laws.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Doctors of bureaucracy make out like bandits on the insane complexity.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

easy.

Thats pretty simplistic.

Yes. No person owes another person anything. We have the ability to get a job and pay our own way. Had i decided to not work and instead spend my days taking care of the kids, maintaining the house, shooting guns and working out I would still expect to have to get a job and pay my own bills if the marraige did not work.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

About half of all marriages in the Western world end in divorce.  That's not at issue here.  There are countries that don't involve attorneys in the dissolution of marriage, or for things like child support.  Their divorce rate is just as bad as ours, but they don't feed a $50 billion bureaucratic monster tearing each other apart in public.  

There is another way.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.

There is another way.  

yeah, okay, whatever.

the family court nonsense is something that happens when people make poor choices and live in an overly legalistic and petty culture.

the family court is a symptom, not the disease.  

i know it's de rigueur to blame to gov for everything here. it must be. otherwise all the whining legions would have to consider the idea that they are responsible for their own outcomes.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/644965.jpg

It takes two people to keep a marriage together. You could be Ghandi and your wife could still fuck you over...or vice versa.

To use your analogy, you would have to assume that telephone poles can jump out in front of you and then when it happens, the DMV gets involved between you and you insurance company and fucks everything up to leave you broke and homeless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

yeah, right... if you made a poor choice of spouse, that isn't anyone else's fault.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

yeah, okay, whatever.

the family court nonsense is something that happens when people make poor choices and live in an overly legalistic and petty culture.

i know it's de rigueur to blame to gov for everything here. it must be. otherwise all the whining legions would have to consider the idea that they are responsible for their own outcomes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.

There is another way.  

yeah, okay, whatever.

Really?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1612968_Son_in_law_hit_my_daughter.html

So if your spouse cheats, becomes a drunk addict, criminal, assults you, ect its your fault?

Or maybe the court system should be set up in a way that protects the wronged party from being victimized twice, once by the spouse and then by the family court.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

yeah, right... if you made a poor choice of spouse, that isn't anyone else's fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

How long have you been able to predict the future behavior and future mental health of other people? Have you found a way to profit from that superpower yet?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So if your spouse cheats, becomes a drunk addict, criminal, assults you, ect its your fault?

Or maybe the court system should be set up in a way that protects the wronged party from being victimized twice, once by the spouse and then by the family court.
View Quote

it's certainly a lot more 'your' fault than it is the gov's fault.

sorry you feel like a victim. there is help available.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How long have you been able to predict the future behavior and future mental health of other people? Have you found a way to profit from that superpower yet?
View Quote

it's much simpler than that.

if i get myself into a situation, it my responsibility to get myself out of it.

life isn't that hard if you use your brains and don't let your dick drag you around.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#40]
It's funny to see who in here has actually seen the family courts at work, and who hasn't.

Hint: the video links are DEAD ON.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I've been lucky. Ive been married over 20-years and hope to be until I die. But it is largely the result of luck. Ive seen hundreds destroyed financially not by their own actions but by the actions of the spouse and a flawed family court system.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's funny to see who in here has actually seen the family courts at work, and who hasn't.

Hint: the video links are DEAD ON.
View Quote

Ive only been there as a witness and its insane.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm never getting married. Saw enough bullshit when I was in the army to know I never want to risk going through that. As far as I'm concerned, let the gays have it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

nice edit
View Quote

thanks.

View Quote

Wow. Talk about missing the point.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

i fully realize the point is to blame something external for your own problems. but thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

i fully realize the point is to blame something external for your own problems. but thanks anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice edit

thanks.

Yeah no. You have another person, who could develop some sort of mental illness, or react poorly to menopause or react to one of thousands of other stimulus that causes behavioral changes; and at no direct fault of your own be straddled with crippling debt for the rest of your life. We're not just talking about Vegas marriages here, we're talking about people who are married for years.  I have no idea how old you are but let's assume you're 40. Are you the same person at 40 that you were at 16 or 25 or will be at 65?  The answer is no.  If you fail to see how that can complicate your ideal of marriage then I'm going to ask you to use your fingers to show me how many chromosomes you think are normal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah no. You have another person, who could develop some sort of mental illness, or react poorly to menopause or react to one of thousands of other stimulus that causes behavioral changes; and at no direct fault of your own be straddled with crippling debt for the rest of your life. We're not just talking about Vegas marriages here, we're talking about people who are married for years.  I have no idea how old you are but let's assume you're 40. Are you the same person at 40 that you were at 16 or 25 or will be at 65?  The answer is no.  If you fail to see how that can complicate your ideal of marriage then I'm going to ask you to use your fingers to show me how many chromosomes you think are normal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hah hah chromosomes you funny. i don't know, such a hard question.  

and, like, OMG, why do bad things happen to good people?

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There is another way.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.

There is another way.  

So you're mad because people hire lawyers when they get divorces?  Admittedly I couldn't watch the video yet, but from what I'm gathering, the whole point of this Family Court reform is to shift blame from the people who want divorces onto the court system.  Everyone wants a scapegoat.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://media.vcstar.com/media/img/photos/2011/10/13/1420111013130420001_t607.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.vcstar.com/media/img/photos/2011/10/13/1420111013130420001_t607.JPG

Excellent response.  I accept your surrender.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top