Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Who has used and compared Jewell and Timney triggers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who has used and compared Jewell and Timney triggers.
View Quote

I put a 2 stage Jewell on a match AR once. GREAT service rifle trigger. I had is set at 3.5/1, meaning the first stage took 3.5 pounds of pressure to hit stop. At 3.5 you'd add another pound to it and it would let fly.

The Timney I just put in I left at factory setting for now. It breaks like glass and I think my groups are going to shrink.

For 99.9% of the shooters out there anything more than a Timney is a case of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

I watched this go on in service rifle competition. Guys would spend money out the wazoo trying to buy points with money spent on equipment only to find out that their scores didn't change much. They would have been better off spending it on ammo to practice with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I should secretly thank Remington for the recall. I had the X-Mark Pro trigger on my 700, just replaced it with a Timney. I can't believe how much better the trigger is now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I checked my Remington 700 serial number and it falls under the recall.  Like alot of other people, I don't want to send my rifle in and wait months...hoping it doesn't get jacked up in the process.  Midway USA and Brownells are out of stock of the Timney 510, however SWFA does have it in stock, plus it is at least $10 less than everyone else.  Prior to the recall, I had no plans to upgrade my trigger, but today placed an order from SWFA...

http://swfa.com/Timney-Triggers-Remington-700-wSafety-P51136.aspx

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I should secretly thank Remington for the recall. I had the X-Mark Pro trigger on my 700, just replaced it with a Timney. I can't believe how much better the trigger is now.
View Quote

Yupmn     njm  Kitty walked across the keyboard again,
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEbXvujZBfQ&feature=share

here's a short video on DIY trigger replacement for the 700
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is a big "I told you so" moment for me. I think I will hug my Winchesters tonight.
View Quote

My Savage Model 10 might get a couple of drops of oil.

Not gloating, just glad I chose the "option of less pain-in-the-ass" for once in my life

Sounds like a clusterfuck; I'd be shopping for an aftermarket unit right now if I owned one of the affected rifles.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm debating about sending mine in. I don't want to remove the brake and I don't mind the trigger the way it is right now. It is still at the same setting it was when I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got my Timney in. Does anyone know if you can change the trigger groups out without having to remove the scope?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got my Timney in. Does anyone know if you can change the trigger groups out without having to remove the scope?
View Quote

Here's a video I found on Snipershide. You can do it with or without removal, but he took it off.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if anyone has posted this info or not (sorry if a dupe).

I called Remington today to check on the status of my return, as I'm still waiting for the box and shipping label. I received my conformation on the 12th of this month. I was told that I had to redo my recall form, as they had some error in the system prior to April 14th.

So, for any of you who were waiting, or filled out the form prior to the 14th, you might want to call Remington.

One thing that pissed me off was that they have no idea how long the turn around will be. I refuse to send my rifle to them with no indication on how long they will have it. What terrible CS.

So, I'm going to have a local R700 Armorer look at mine, and if there's a problem I will order a Timney or Jewel.

I don't think I'll be buying any new Remingtons from here on out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll admit I've never had an Xmark trigger to take apart, but I've had dozens of the old ones fully apart, how much more complicated can the Xmark be to take apart and clean yourself? I cant imagine sending an entire rifle back for them to clean the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Installed my timney today and love it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a call from Remington today. I do not want to send them my gun for a list of reasons. They have offered nor agreed to any options. They are more concerned with liability than happy customers. I understand the former- I do not understand the latter.
I will buy a Timiney and replace it myself.
I will never buy nor recommend anything Remington again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just be grateful you don't live outside the Good ol' US of A
View Quote

So what are they doing for those of you abroad??

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Filled out their forms for 2 returns, got email 4-14 confirming contact and a promise they will send shipping tags and boxes but no tags, boxes . Guess it will be a long wait.
Has anyone gotten RMA tags and shipped a rifle back yet?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry double tap
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Filled out their forms for 2 returns, got email 4-14 confirming contact and a promise they will send shipping tags and boxes but no tags, boxes . Guess it will be a long wait.

Has anyone gotten RMA tags and shipped a rifle back yet?
View Quote
See my earlier post. You need to call them, as I got the same email on 4/12 and never got a box/label. Called Rem and they said they didn't have my info and that they had a glitch or something, which caused them to lose all records prior to 4/14. That, and the fact that they would not give me an eta on turnaround, Pissed me off, so I'm going to just buy a new trigger group.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just be grateful you don't live outside the Good ol' US of A

Sod all, to be precise.

I'm not fussed about mine going back, I've never bothered adjusting it, still does a fine job of making stuff dead.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, called. Email confirmation. Has anyone actually returned one for repair?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Waiting on the box and return shipping labels...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did.

I left my scope on. It wasn't in the way at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend Al turned his Remington made '03A3 in during the Great Recall of '44 after it was issued to him to guard the liquor locker of the officer's club at Biloxi, Mississippi.

He just got it back 2 weeks ago.  He's trying to turn it back in now.

Seems he didn't have it back my March of '46 when he was discharged so the Army made him sign a Statement of Charges and docked him for it out of his mustering out pay. He wants to turn it in to get his money back.

It'll take time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:16:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got the box yesterday.  I am sending it out today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Well my .308 is at the shop getting the barrel threaded  and has a timney in it so doesn't sound like it matters.

I have another that I just bought last month chambered in 300blk factory threaded barrel. That I have not mounted any base or optics on it and just put 5 rounds down range suppressed just to hear it.  It falls under the recall figure I might send it in but dont want to be stuck waiting for it for ever also the factory trigger in this one isnt bad and dont want it to come back shitty.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My friend Al turned his Remington made '03A3 in during the Great Recall of '44 after it was issued to him to guard the liquor locker of the officer's club at Biloxi, Mississippi.

Seems he didn't have it back my March of '46 when he was discharged so the Army made him sign a Statement of Charges and docked him for it out of his mustering out pay. He wants to turn it in to get his money back.

It'll take time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll take time.

Wasn't sending mine back either. Bought a timney from the crew at the NRA show in INDY. Installed it last night. Along with everybody else, this should have been my first upgrade. I'd think long and hard before buying another 700
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
How about requesting a box, RMA tags, and just putting the shitty trigger in the box and sending it back to Remington? After all, all they really need is the trigger correct?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Keep your shirt on. You got lousy  tits and besides this ain't the Kit Kat Club.

Simmer down and just get yourself  Timney or Jewell trigger and install it.

A lot of us are looking at this as an excuse and a golden opportunity to retrigger our rifles which is actually what a lot of us should have done the day we bought our rifles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 700 .308 Varmint is on the recall list.  Shit.

Oh, joy, they're giving me a 40% discount on their overpriced accessories catalogues?  WTF.$19.95 for a plastic water bottle with a Remington logo?. And $395 for a fucking field jacket?  A Filson doesn't cost that much.  Fuck you very much, Remington.  Now I have to yank my scope, bipod etc off my rifle before sending it back.  Hopefully it'll get lost and I'll file an insurance claim.  Fuck fuck fuck.  Should've built an E.R. Shaw instead.

Keep your shirt on. You got lousy  tits and besides this ain't the Kit Kat Club.

Simmer down and just get yourself  Timney or Jewell trigger and install it.

A lot of us are looking at this as an excuse and a golden opportunity to retrigger our rifles which is actually what a lot of us should have done the day we bought our rifles.

Both those triggers are ok..... What you really want though is a CG Xtreme Mod 22 trigger

It will work no matter how much grit and dirt is sees unlike a Jewell.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Just installed a Timney 517..very nice trigger.
No need to send in my gun but I entered my serial number and got the 40% discount off their store anyway
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I replaced my trigger with a Timney unit, but I followed the notice on the website and submitted my name. They followed up with a return email..
Here it is:

Confirmation for your recall submission
Remington will send you pre-paid shipping tags, boxes and written instructions. Remington will cover all related shipping, inspection, and repair charges to your rifle. Please do not return your rifle to Remington before receiving the shipping tags, as the shipping tags will be marked to expedite delivery of your rifle to the specific Remington facility dedicated to this recall program.

Your Information
First name: Robert
Last name: Wilson
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 860.621-5541
Address: 1234 Elm street
Address2:
City: Farmington
State: CT
Zipcode: 06463
Serial: G716555

On their website is a rebate for 40% off their store items.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We know we disappointed you and this doesn’t make up for that; but we’d like to offer you a 40% discount to ShopRemingtonCountry.com and/or Remington1816.com. Use code ROCSVC40 at checkout.

edit with fake name and phone number, so you gents can't harass me!

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just installed a Timney 517..very nice trigger.
No need to send in my gun but I entered my serial number and got the 40% discount off their store anyway
View Quote

Whoa, hey now...
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#35]
"Remington’s investigation determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge"
WOW! Remington triggers are glued together?
One more reason to not go green.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"Remington’s investigation determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process, which could cause an unintentional discharge"
WOW! Remington triggers are glued together?
One more reason to not go green.
View Quote

So are Tikkas, Howas, Winchesters, savages, etc...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Just sent in my 700 SPS yesterday.

It sucked having to remove a recently mounted and zeroed Leupold, along with the bipod and muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It sucked having to remove a recently mounted and zeroed Leupold, along with the bipod and muzzle brake.

View Quote

DAY  1
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the price of a Timney trigger, it sure out weighs the odds of losing a rifle / damage in shipping / price of ammo to rezero / range fees...bla bla bla.

Will they ship it straight back to you or does it have to go thru a dealer?

I only used the Remington coupon to get a few things at a better price.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For the price of a Timney trigger, it sure out weighs the odds of losing a rifle / damage in shipping / price of ammo to rezero / range fees...bla bla bla.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that but I wound up with a GREAT trigger.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

DAY  1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAY  1

Thanks for posting the day count for me!

Yes indeed. It IS

DAY 1!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will ship it straight back to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is nice of them. To deal with a dealer to receive it would be over the top BS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is nice of them. To deal with a dealer to receive it would be over the top BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, having to go through an FFL would be a real PITA.

Every gun I have ever shipped to a manufacturer for repair has gone from the UPS terminal counter to the manufacturer, and from the manufacturer back to me delivered to my door (adult signature).
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Joy joy.  Mine is recalled.  Good thing I wasn't planning on using it any time soon anyway.

Sigh.

Woody
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Just received my shipping box in the mail today..... kind of afraid to ship it out now as the box looked like it was bent in half....

Wonder if the shipping is insured.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Here is a novel idea.

Don't chamber a round until your rifle is pointed downrange in a safe direction ; then when you are on your target and know the background behind your target place your bugger picker on the trigger. Safety off.....big woop.

I'm not going to Remingtons website to inform them that I have such and such a rifle. Fuck that. I'm also not going to send my rifle to CT. Anything else wrong with this picture?

ETA: All that to say that my M700's went into the lake during the great canoe/weapons accident of 2012
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
. I'd think long and hard before buying another 700
View Quote

I wouldn't give it a second thought. They're good rifles.

This recall is nothing more than "Cover Your Ass" bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#49]
The Horrible X-Match trigger was the first item replaced on my .308 Remy 700.  Sorry, too late, Mr. Remington.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#50]
It's been about 5 weeks since I signed up and I haven't received a box or anything yet.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top