Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 8:10:32 AM EDT
Bought an 09 tundra double cab/sr5 last august with 74k on it. Got the dealer warranty up to 98k.

Took my truck in for the regular oil change at the dealer yesterday and it was running great. Left the dealer, fueled up at diamond shamrock and went home and parked it until this morning.

Get in my truck to go to work this morning and I have 3 different error lights, check engine, vehicle stability control, and another traction control light. My truck is also in limp mode and won't go above 35mph.

Immediately limp back to the dealer where I had the oil change and they tell me it could be anything. They call me back 1 hour later (took the courtesy shuttle to get to work) and tell me the air flow sensor is bad, and it is a $4,000+ fix and that my dealer warranty is expired as I am at 103k miles. Lady tells me they are gonna fix it at no cost to me as it is covered by Toyota to 150k miles. They also tell me they will call me back shortly to arrange a rental for me.

I googled it but didn't really find anything about this being an issue with Tundras. Has anyone heard of this? why is it a $4,000 fix? Could they have screwed it up at oil change and are just saying that to cover themselves? I'm not a car guy so just looking for feedback and thoughts from someone that knows more about vehicles than I. What are the odds of them calling me back later and saying they aren't going to cover it after all? I'm buying a house Monday morning and don't really have money to pay for this if they change their mind or find a reason not to cover it.

edit: air flow pump was the problem, valve was stuck open, known issue with Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
check out the tundratalk forum ,I believe  that issue is discussed at length
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
$4k for a MAF sensor?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This... It is the ARFCOM for Tundras.. Good folks
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
No doubt on the $4k... Google Tundra mass air flow sensor, all appear less than $100.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I am ALWAYS suspicious when shit goes wrong immediately after a visit to the dealership. ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Hurry up and delete this thread. Toyota never has problems.

$4,000 sensor? Maybe labor to tear whole engine out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a similar issue with my 01 Tundra. Not exactly the same, but similar. $2K repair

One of the service guys said that Toyota just quietly repaired things like this and kept track of how many. Below a certain number and it was cheaper than a recall. And good PR. I think you are being totally lied to, but just say thanks and be glad you don't have to pay for it. Keep the paperwork...

cap
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it the Air Induction Pump (AIP) system? The symptoms and price sounds similar to what I experienced this year. Fortunately, I still had 2 months left on my extended warranty!

Check out this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

The guy sells an AIP bypass kit for ~$150
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not nearly as active in my experience, but very knowledgeable.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#11]
$4k? You sure they're not tearing out the whole engine?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
browsing tundra talk now.

And since they are getting me a rental I'm assuming they are tearing out the engine. As long as they cover it fully they can do whatever they need. If they decide they are gonna charge me I'm taking it to another mechanic for a second opinion and most likely a lower cost.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like the Air Injector Pumps. Water infiltration causes them to go. It is an emissions system component.

As mentioned Tundratalk will get you all the answers and more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]

You might want to take notes and perhaps even record what they tell you.  Call back and just ask how things are going and just confirm that there is zero cost as this is covered under the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it the Air Induction Pump (AIP) system? The symptoms and price sounds similar to what I experienced this year. Fortunately, I still had 2 months left on my extended warranty!

Check out this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

View Quote

This is what happened to mine (07). The vent that picks up air was designed with a bad clamp that allowed water into the system which got into the air pump and seized up one of the valves. You can disconnect your battery and reconnect after you start it initially and the code goes off to drive it but you either need to fix it of bypass it for a permanent solution. I know Toyota extended the warranty on this issue because of so many complaints and it is a manufacturing defect in the system.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1

Sounds like the AIP alright, OP. Toyota has extended the warranty on it with the 2007+ Tundras to 100K (I *think*).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Sounds like the AIP alright, OP. Toyota has extended the warranty on it with the 2007+ Tundras to 100K (I *think*).

This sounds more like it. All I heard her say was airflow something something sensor. Was at work so couldn't really hear, just heard they were gonna cover it and was warrantied to 150k.

Looking at a news release it appears this is the problem, and they increased the warranties to cover it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is what happened to mine (07). The vent that picks up air was designed with a bad clamp that allowed water into the system which got into the air pump and seized up one of the valves. You can disconnect your battery and reconnect after you start it initially and the code goes off to drive it but you either need to fix it of bypass it for a permanent solution. I know Toyota extended the warranty on this issue because of so many complaints and it is a manufacturing defect in the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a recurring problem even after it is "fixed"?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#20]
If it is your air induction pump, you may be in luck...

recall for AIP on '07 and newer tundras

Edit:  not a recall...but a warranty.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#21]
if its the mass air flow sensor, your dealer is full of shit about it being $4k. part number 22204-0F030 retails at $132.34.

although the air pumps are quite expensensive
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure. I had it repaired under warranty and I asked the service rider about it and he claimed that Toyota did engineer a fix with the clamp.  I think my truck had around 90K miles at the time it happened and it was about 2 years ago. So far so good with me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#23]
$4k for an MAF sensor.

Never mind, RIF.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
The AIP is the most useless piece of poop on the Tundra.  It only comes on when certain temperatures are present (>40* ambient, Coolant between 40* and 104* or something like that)for 20-30 seconds when the engine is first cranked. It introduces air into the catalytic converters so they heat up quicker thus making the exhaust more friendly...  at least thats how I understand it.  The pump doesn't come on if the engine is cranked after reaching normal operating temps.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Just called me back, air flow induction valve #2 stuck in the open position. covered under warranty completely. Seems it is the same problem Toyota has been having and the same one they increased the warranty for.

edit: rental is only provided for one day, I can't go get one today because of work, and I won't be off work tomorrow in time to return it tomorrow if I get it in the morning. Sucks. Oh well, think I'm gonna try to get them to throw in some side step cover replacements for a discount.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$4k for an MAF sensor.

Never mind, RIF.
View Quote

That's dealer gorilla math there.  Like the shop guys rolling dice.  I got a 4, well I got a 10.  OK,  what's our multiplier?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hurry up and delete this thread. Toyota never has problems.
View Quote

Toyotas can do no wrong! Maybe you just got a TuRD of a vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The AIP is the most useless piece of poop on the Tundra.  It only comes on when certain temperatures are present (>40* ambient, Coolant between 40* and 104* or something like that)for 20-30 seconds when the engine is first cranked. It introduces air into the catalytic converters so they heat up quicker thus making the exhaust more friendly...  at least thats how I understand it.  The pump doesn't come on if the engine is cranked after reaching normal operating temps.
View Quote

WTF? Who designs this ridiculous bullshit? This emissions crap is getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

WTF? Who designs this ridiculous bullshit? This emissions crap is getting out of hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's even stupider (from what I read while researching it) it's a minimum of $3000 to fix/replace. My dealer initially quoted me $3600. I quickly told him fuck that, I have the extended warranty (which had less than 2 months left on it!)!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

$4k Christ Almighty! I'm going out in the parking lot and pray over my Tundra!
View Quote
You have a Tundra?

How fitting.

(not gonna lie, I giggled).

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#32]
My 08 is just about to cross 100k
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My 08 is just about to cross 100k
View Quote

My 06 has 56k on it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Had a '00 Tundra Double Cab/SR5 that I traded in at 167k, and currently have an '08 Tundra Double Cab/SR5 TRD that has 140K on it. never had this problem. Can't say I've heard much about that being an issue.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#35]
The air pumps are located under the intake. It is a bitch of a job to replace. They extended the warranty on them and redesigned the part. I saw a bunch of them a year and half ago, but not many since then.   I work at at Toyota dealership in service.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Had a '00 Tundra Double Cab/SR5 that I traded in at 167k, and currently have an '08 Tundra Double Cab/SR5 TRD that has 140K on it. never had this problem. Can't say I've heard much about that being an issue.
View Quote

Congrats ... when yours does go bad you'll have to pay the 4k out of pocket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I have an '05 CC 4wd (96K) and every now and then it throws the valve stuck open code (P1441/P1442).  I keep a cheap code scanner / eraser in the truck and erase it when it comes on.  The valves aren't near as much to replace as the pump is if you piece it together.  I believe the switching valves on the '06 and older ones are easy to get to.  Getting to the pump requires removing the manifold.

From what I've read...on the '07 and up models the intake for the pump is located in/around the front passenger wheel well.  Go through a big puddle and water gets introduced into the air pump...recipe for failure.

There is a cheap DIY way to bypass the AIP altogether or you can get a bypass module...  as said before... www.tundrasolutions.com
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Once I hit 150k I'll get the bypass me thinks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top