BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2014 3:09:57 AM EDT

Sweet if it happens!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That would be cool...........if ever there was a Land Battleship, it was the Maus
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool but why did the video make it out to be some engineering feet to rebuild a WW2 tank?  I'm sure it will be expensive but nothing innovative.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
That is freaking awesome! Yes!!!!

Live! Live! Live you great beast of the night!

Good. Now go forth, and terrorize!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool but why did the video make it out to be some engineering feet to rebuild a WW2 tank?  I'm sure it will be expensive but nothing innovative.
View Quote

You do realize that is a Maus... not a M4 Sherman line tank right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/4O56OvuIQ7w

Sweet if it happens!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because it will be

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  We can build warships.  Add tracks and there you go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I was just thinking the other day about how much money I have wasted on their games.  This definitely makes me feel better about it!!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is about bringing a piece of history back to life.  Not sure why you're so against it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/4O56OvuIQ7w

Sweet if it happens!!!
View Quote
You need to reenlist Armor if they open it to females.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because it will be

http://youtu.be/8PTFnl316ug

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it will be

So again nothing innovative.  WW2 tech, it's just going to be expensive and take lots of man hours.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is about bringing a piece of history back to life.  Not sure why you're so against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not against it.  Where did I say I was against t?

Re-read what I wrote originally.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So again nothing innovative.  WW2 tech, it's just going to be expensive and take lots of man hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it will be

Russians are doing it... less money for them to invade Ukraine with.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saying something is a waste of time and money usually means you're not for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Where the hell do I say it will be waste? I believe I started my response off with "cool".  Again go read what I wrote...don't add anything just read what I wrote.  

I said it will be expensive, take lots of man hours but that the video made it out to be some innovative engineering challenge.  It is WW2 tech, nothing innovative about WW2 tech, expensive, and lots of man hours.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe Krieger says it best...

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where the hell do I say it will be waste? I believe I started my response off with "cool".  Again go read what I wrote...don't add anything just read what I wrote.  

I said it will be expensive, take lots of man hours but that the video made it out to be some innovative engineering challenge.  It is WW2 tech, nothing innovative about WW2 tech, expensive, and lots of man hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Go be a moody judy in some other thread.  The MAUS is legendary.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or...just maybe learn to read?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry dude but you're wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#21]
The Maus is big..but this is bigger!

http://www.vincelewis.net/ultratank.html

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because it will be

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it will be

That handsome narrator is Arfcommer "Manic_Moran."
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe learn to spell  FEAT
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Or maybe learn to spell  FEAT
View Quote

You got me.

I'll take basic reading comprehension over using the wrong Homophone any day of the week.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
The largest heaviest tank built and it's a Porsche to boot! There were only 2 made total before the war ended, the US blew the one we had up testing anti tank weapons. So it is significant to save that piece of history. And in WWII a tank that weighed
188 tons! Think of the engineering to make that thing move!

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Very cool!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#27]
One bump for cool thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The largest heaviest tank built and it's a Porsche to boot! There were only 2 made total before the war ended, the US blew the one we had up testing anti tank weapons. So it is significant to save that piece of history. And in WWII a tank that weighed 188 tons! Think of the engineering to make that thing move!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The largest heaviest tank built and it's a Porsche to boot! There were only 2 made total before the war ended, the US blew the one we had up testing anti tank weapons. So it is significant to save that piece of history. And in WWII a tank that weighed 188 tons! Think of the engineering to make that thing move!

I haven't seen the video (player isn't working for some reason), so here's my question:

Is the engineering about getting the 188 tons to move i.e. clean sheet of paper or is the engineering about replicating or reverse engineering what the Germans did in the early '40's on the original Maus?

Either way, it's going to be pretty cool if they can make it happen!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think the US ever had a complete one.  I have a book with photos of US Soldiers standing beside raw turret castings, but that is as close as we got.  There was only one functional Maus (V2).  The other Maus (V1) had a dummy turret (a weight simulating the weight of the actual turret but no armament).  Maus V2 was blown up on its way to fight the Soviets around Berlin.  When the Soviets captured the remains of Maus V2 and a complete Maus V1, they put the turret from V2 on V1, and presto we see a "complete" Maus.

The video is somewhat correct in that there will be some engineering needed to get the Maus V2 turret to work on the Maus V1 hull.  Stuff like traversing gear (whether hydraulic or electric) will need to be added.  Plus, I think I read that in the last 60 years, the inside of the Maus V1 hull has been stripped of it motor and electric gear.

The British, not the Americans, did capture the incomplete hull for a German E-100 (think a smaller, more practical/traditional competitor to the Maus design).  But, they scrapped it soon after the war after bringing it back to the UK.  The E-100, however, was never completed and never saw service.  The photos of the E-100 that I've seen don't even show tracks on the hull.

James
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't think the US ever had a complete one.  I have a book with photos of US Soldiers standing beside raw turret castings, but that is as close as we got.  There was only one functional Maus (V2).  The other Maus (V1) had a dummy turret (a weight simulating the weight of the actual turret but no armament).  Maus V2 was blown up on its way to fight the Soviets around Berlin.  When the Soviets captured the remains of Maus V2 and a complete Maus V1, they put the turret from V2 on V1, and presto we see a "complete" Maus.

The video is somewhat correct in that there will be some engineering needed to get the Maus V2 turret to work on the Maus V1 hull.  Stuff like traversing gear (whether hydraulic or electric) will need to be added.  Plus, I think I read that in the last 60 years, the inside of the Maus V1 hull has been stripped of it motor and electric gear.

The British, not the Americans, did capture the incomplete hull for a German E-100 (think a smaller, more practical/traditional competitor to the Maus design).  But, they scrapped it soon after the war after bringing it back to the UK.  The E-100, however, was never completed and never saw service.  The photos of the E-100 that I've seen don't even show tracks on the hull.

James

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

James

Marry me..

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Marry me..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

James
Marry me..

Sorry, but I doubt that my wife would go for that

Seriously, 20+ years of building armor kits has given me a lot of time to study/research tanks.  The joke around my workplace is what I am doing there vs. being a mechanical/armament/firearms engineer.  But, my interest in armor, firearms technology, and military history is strictly a hobby.  And, I enjoy sharing that info to those around me.  Knowledge does no one any good if it is internalized and never shared.

James
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
MK I Bolo

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Hmm MK I Bolo I agree!  Lets drop an AI in that bad boy ;p
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A never employed prototype tank is legendary?  They only built one and a partial one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it even confirmed that they actually ever completed even one?

We need Manic Moran to post here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Bleh.... World of Tanks sucks.....

Can't wait till War Thunder releases their tanks.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the video they state it uses an old WW2 Sub engine, again not exactly ground breaking tech.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Why not just leave it alone?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

In the video they state it uses an old WW2 Sub engine, again not exactly ground breaking tech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How the hell did a Submarine engine get in there? I know that at the time the Nazis were desperate and needed quick answers, but a submarine engine? Was it their only option or what?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#40]
TOG!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How the hell did a Submarine engine get in there? I know that at the time the Nazis were desperate and needed quick answers, but a submarine engine? Was it their only option or what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Maus is pretty big, I doubt they include the battery bank..  My guess is a naval engine would have been much easier than building one from scratch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The Maus is pretty big, I doubt they include the battery bank..  My guess is a naval engine would have been much easier than building one from scratch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably, I figured the Nazis would have abandoned building ship engines since they were fighting a land war and rapidly losing ground....

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He knows nothing of the German craftsmanship of that day. Sure they had some crude stuff also but they had things we cannot match today also. Particularly in engines, the British guys had some super talent also.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He knows nothing of the German craftsmanship of that day. Sure they had some crude stuff also but they had things we cannot match today also. Particularly in engines, the British guys had some super talent also.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right...

WW2 naval engines are totally cutting edge combustion engine technology...derp.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#46]
A bunch of posters are enjoying the idea of an interesting piece of WW 2 armor being restored.  

Are you here for a reason other than being generally annoying and somewhat obnoxious?

We get it, you're not impressed by the Maus.  

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes old tech can be quite advanced. I don't know much about Maus, but it is reasonable to think that recreating the tech would be a challenge.

The Germans had some advanced tech for the time, Maus was one of their late designs and also very rare. On top of that, it was not tech we would have been looking at the way we would have looked at designs we took more seriously.

We went through a major development with their V-2s in our rocket program, so we really developed a depth of understanding of their rocket program. By comparison, Maus was not something we used as a starting point for post war development in tanks. There could be interesting tech involved that we don't know much about.

Perhaps not, perhaps there isn't interesting tech and it is just a big tank. I doubt it. Making something big like that calls in new engineering challenges, and the Germans in particular tend to go all out in developing huge custom machines.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A bunch of posters are enjoying the idea of an interesting piece of WW 2 armor being restored.  

Are you here for a reason other than being generally annoying and somewhat obnoxious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Reading comprehension, you lack it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#49]

This is Russia's HA HA  attempt at Bovington......hope they can do it!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is Russia's HA HA  attempt at Bovington......hope they can do it!!!
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top