Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/10/2014 12:06:20 PM EDT
LINK

Disgraced former NYPD Detective Louis Scarcella insisted Wed­nesday he “did ­absolutely nothing wrong” in his homicide investigations — even as the Brooklyn DA revealed new information that could scuttle two more murder convictions of suspects he busted.
<snip>
Brooklyn DA Ken Thompson is reviewing 50 of Scarcella’s murder investigations from the 1980s and 1990s — since ­David Ranta was freed in March 2013 ­after wrongfully spend­ing 23 years in prison, due to a coached witness, for the slaying of a rabbi.
The latest botched case involves two stepbrothers convicted of a 1985 homicide largely because of a drug- ­addled hooker “witness” that Scarcella had used to bolster several of his cases.
The DA’s Conviction Integrity Unit sent a letter to Supreme Court Justice Matthew D’Emic that expressed doubt over the convictions.
View Quote

Update 01/12/15:

$17 million settlement

Two Brooklyn brothers who spent decades in prison for murders they didn’t commit will reportedly received a $17 million settlement from the city.

Half-brothers Robert Hill and Alvena Jennette, both 53, were freed in May after their convictions were vacated due to the questionable investigative tactics of retired NYPD Detective Louis Scarcella.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
"The letter reveals that prosecutors were reluctant to make an arrest in the case without eyewitnesses — and that’s when Scarcella turned to Teresa Gomez, who has testified in five of his trials."

Wow, she just happened to be in the right place, at the right time... a lot. Luuuucky.

(If this were a movie, the next scene would be an NYPD Harbor unit fishing Teresa Gomez's body out of the water.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"The letter reveals that prosecutors were reluctant to make an arrest in the case without eyewitnesses — and that’s when Scarcella turned to Teresa Gomez, who has testified in five of his trials."
Wow, she just happened to be in the right place, at the right time... a lot. Luuuucky.
(If this were a movie, the next scene would be an NYPD Harbor unit fishing Teresa Gomez's body out of the water.)
View Quote

Seriously though, no one at the DA's Office thought it was strange that this woman was an eyewitness in 6 homicide trials? Sounds like the cop isn't the only one who should be in hot water.

Edited: Now they're saying it was 6 trials.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well at least they are reviewing the cases
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should be reviewing their damn resumes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately anyone involved most likely doesn't work there anymore.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the sort of thing I think about when the subject of the death penalty comes up.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is the sort of thing I think about when the subject of the death penalty comes up.  
View Quote

Yup.  I am not longer an advocate except for extraordinary cases with incontrovertible proof.  And even then...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Some people just have a knack for being around when bad things happen.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously though, no one at the DA's Office thought it was strange that this woman was an eyewitness in 5 homicide trials? Sounds like the cop isn't the only one who should be in hot water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously though, no one at the DA's Office thought it was strange that this woman was an eyewitness in 5 homicide trials? Sounds like the cop isn't the only one who should be in hot water.

Agreed........there is a whole lot of WTF going on at both the PD and the DA's office.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. That so many people see the complete ineptitude of their government in every way, but are suddenly blind to it in that one area of social justice makes my head spin.

Either that or they're just fine with executing innocent people once and a while, which is worse.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They knew.  They had to.  They are throwing this one guy under the bus because they can save their own asses by doing so.  They all knew.  They all had to know.  I'm not in that profession, and even I know that the odds of someone (who isn't LE) testifying at 5 murder trials with the same arresting officer...is outlandish.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lost my belief in the death penalty as soon as I started working with a DA's office.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I lost my belief in the death penalty as soon as I started working with a DA's office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure it would be different for a lot of people if they saw the sausage being made.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly. That so many people see the complete ineptitude of their government in every way, but are suddenly blind to it in that one area of social justice makes my head spin.

Either that or they're just fine with executing innocent people once and a while, which is worse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.  

The greater good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Cleaning up the streets, one fabricated case at a time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Putting that piece of shit in prison for the rest of his life would be a start.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I figure it would be different for a lot of people if they saw the sausage being made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've often said, as a young man I wholeheartedly supported capital punishment; then I became a cop.

After seeing "the man behind the curtain," no fucking way.

After being exposed to the dog and pony show that is our criminal justice system, there's no way our government should be handing out irrevocable punishment, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe she wore a different wig every time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Not just the police and prosecutors--none of the defense attorneys thought to ask Teresa Gomez is she had ever been a witness before?

Shouldn't a rather basic search of a database have found this out?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not just the police and prosecutors--none of the defense attorneys thought to ask Teresa Gomez is she had ever been a witness before?
Shouldn't a rather basic search of a database have found this out?
View Quote

Probably a public defender.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
So basically asshole cop either framed people or just "knew in his gut" his suspect was guilty.  Wanting to have an impressive arrest/conviction record and onvincing himself that he was doing the community a service (unless he was just a psycopath) he puts up his whore to perjure herself.

Yep, this is why i am nervouse whenever i have to encounter a cop.  Maybe im nervous that he is gonna go into defcon1 if he finds out i am strapped and he interprets that my nervousness is me being guilty of the crime he is investigating...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who are for the death penalty are either ignorant or malevolent.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So basically asshole cop either framed people or just "knew in his gut" his suspect was guilty.  Wanting to have an impressive arrest/conviction record and onvincing himself that he was doing the community a service (unless he was just a psycopath) he puts up his whore to perjure herself.

Yep, this is why i am nervouse whenever i have to encounter a cop.  Maybe im nervous that he is gonna go into defcon1 if he finds out i am strapped and he interprets that my nervousness is me being guilty of the crime he is investigating...
View Quote

Just don't pucker your asshole in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not puckering.

It's furtive movements with the buttocks.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE

3 Murder convictions tossed out

Brooklyn prosecutors will move to clear three half-brothers convicted of murder in cases that date to the 1980s and were investigated by the same now-tainted detective, sources said Monday.
The convictions of Robert Hill, Alvena Jennette and Darryl Austin will be vacated Tuesday after evidence emerged that retired NYPD Detective Louis Scarcella used the same discredited, drug-addled informant to bring all three of them down.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#28]
So what's the honest chances of this detective getting felony charges?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably the same chance as the crooked ADAs who handled the cases getting charges.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We finally found the 1 bad cop and 1 bad DA!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes it is hard to tell the criminals in a case .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew they'd finally get that one bad egg at the Brooklyn DA's Office.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yup.  I am not longer an advocate except for extraordinary cases with incontrovertible proof.  And even then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much...
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Probably the same chance as the crooked ADAs who handled the cases getting charges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When people wonder why I'm so cynical... this is why.

A detective trots out the same "eyewitness" in multiple murder cases? C'mon, that shit does not happen without the complicity of the DA's office.

Of course, once the ensuing investigation is completed, how high up the food chain do you really think it will have gone?

Once people claw their way up high enough, they are insulated from the consequences of their wrongdoing.

Every time the music stops, it's some flunky cop who's left without a chair... and the folks at the top all pat themselves on the back about how they "rooted out corruption".

It's a joke.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's one of the reasons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey now, let's not turn this into the Dr. Phil show.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pleeeeeaaase...  I would surely love to get you drunk and talking.  I'd probably never sleep again, but it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#38]
By the time Thompson took office, the number of Scarcella cases under review had reached 57. There were also more than 20 other non-Scarcella potential wrongful convictions under review. The office has added more cases to the list in the months since. In all, the Conviction Review Unit is currently looking into 90 cases.
View Quote

This is going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, WTF??

Anything for a win.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Seriously, WTF??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, WTF??

What? That's not normal?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Why would an officer/DA do this?

Dallas TX is the king of wrongful convictions it seems.  I've often wondered if the folks involved with the system hung charges on the folks because they thought that they were guilty of something just as bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Past isolated incidents.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What? That's not normal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, WTF??

What? That's not normal?
Normal as a home furnace that goes up to 5000 degrees.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're a homicide detective you're judged on whether or not you close cases. ADAs are judged on whether or not they get convictions.
If you don't do what's expected you don't move up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you're a homicide detective you're judged on whether or not you close cases. ADAs are judged on whether or not they get convictions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And the people that they were railroading were people that no one would care about or believe.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And the people that they were railroading were people that no one would care about or believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe GD calls them "Ghetto Goblins".
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow!  And thank you both very much for the insight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#48]
LINK

Brooklyn family became whole Tuesday when prosecutors dismissed murder convictions against three brothers who spent decades in prison for two separate homicides.
“I feel real good,” Louise Austin said after her sons were proclaimed innocent.
All three were brought down by the same drug-addicted witness who has been used repeatedly by a now-tainted detective whose cases are under review.

“It is clear that testimony from the same problematic witness undermined the integrity of these convictions, and resulted in an unfair trial for each of these defendants,” district attorney Kenneth Thompson said in a statement.
In the Jennette and Austin trial, Gomez’s testimony was so bizarre, a lawyer requested urine analysis during the proceedings.
To make matters worse, prosecutors had a witness who named another shooter, but his account was never turned over until it was recently uncovered in the case file.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucked up, isn't it? It takes a special kind of evil to conspire to put someone in prison for something they didn't do. IMO, it's almost worse than just outright murdering them.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Fucked up, isn't it? It takes a special kind of evil to conspire to put someone in prison for something they didn't do. IMO, it's almost worse than just outright murdering them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's an argument for it being worse actually.

Kill somebody and you take all that they are or will be in one possibly painless act.

What happened here is worse, much worse.

You take everything away from someone, not in an instant, but in tiny, excruciating pieces, one day at a time.

These people haven't had just pieces of time taken away, but their potential, and that of everyone around them that would have been a part of their lives.

Every day a new cut, another slice gone, flensed to feed the machine.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top