Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 6:53:32 AM EDT
I'm curious when you all got your growth spurts.  My son has a slight scurrilous to his spin which he is getting treatment for.  He is 15 and yesterday at his orthopedic appointment the doctor laughed and predicted my son would be 6'9 by the time he was done growing.

My son experienced his first growth spurt this year, growing from 5'9 / 135 to 6' / 120 shoe size 10 to size 15.

My older two children (boy and girl respectively) grew more even.  My daughter grew 5 inches when she was 13 but only two inches afterwards.  My son grow about 2" a year until he was 18 to round out at 6'5 size 12 shoe.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah they go to sleep and wake up taller. Great to see but sometimes you wish they can stay little.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Size 15?  I bet he's gonna be a big one. I grew a few inches between 8th and 9th grade then pretty gradual until about 18 or 19.  Stopped at 6'3"
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Doc said the same thing to me when I was 13 and went in for X-rays... Said I'd be about 6'8"-6'9"... Fucker lied, I wound up 6'2"
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doc said the same thing to me when I was 13 and went in for X-rays... Said I'd be about 6'8"-6'9"... Fucker lied, I wound up 6'2"
View Quote

how tall are your parents?

My ex is 6'2 and I'm 6'  my older kids are 6'5" and 6'3".  My parents were 6' (dad) 5'9" (mom) and my siblings are 6'7, 6'1 me at 6'

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
about 10 minutes ago in the BOTD forum!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm curious when you all got your growth spurts.  My son has a slight scurrilous to his spin which he is getting treatment for.  He is 15 and yesterday at his orthopedic appointment the doctor laughed and predicted my son would be 6'9 by the time he was done growing.

My son experienced his first growth spurt this year, growing from 5'9 / 135 to 6' / 120 shoe size 10 to size 15.

My older two children (boy and girl respectively) grew more even.  My daughter grew 5 inches when she was 13 but only two inches afterwards.  My son grow about 2" a year until he was 18 to round out at 6'5 size 12 shoe.

View Quote

Size 15 shoe means he isn't finished.  I am 6'5" and have a size 15-16.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

about 10 minutes ago in the BOTD forum!
View Quote

well played  I had to read that twice to understand

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My ex is 6'2 and I'm 6'  my older kids are 6'5" and 6'3".  My parents were 6' (dad) 5'9" (mom) and my siblings are 6'7, 6'1 me at 6'

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5'3" and 5'7"

I should just be lucky that I made it to 6'2"
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
5'3" and 5'7"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5'3" and 5'7"

wow, no kidding.  I bet you ate well.  I've always wondered how much nutrition played in my height and my siblings.  We grew up on a farm where we raised our own vegetables year around and we ate lots of venison and home grown beef.  About the only processed foods we ate was powdered milk (which we hated but our parents insisted we drink it because "we were growing kids and growing kids need milk")

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Ehhh I was predicted to hit 7'4'' or so.

I hit 6'10''.

I hit my growth spurt when hit 14.

When I was a fresh man in highschool I was 6'8'' I grew another 2 inches by the time I was a freshman in college.

God the pain from growing sucked. I would almost cry some night in bed, until I found Naproxen.

Great uncle was 7'6'' or so.

Dad was 6'3'', Dads dad is 6'2''. Im sure he has shrunk a little since then. He is 67 now.

Moms side of the family. Mom and Dad were short.

Everyone else beyond that was 6'3'' plus.

So it will depend. Take the Dr's estimation with a grain of salt.

Oh and check his shoe size correctly. He may be wearing a 15, but it may because of the width of his foot.

I had to get size 18 when in reality my foot is a 16 Quad E.

As for eating. Well lets say I could eat all the groceries out of the house before Monday. Mom went shopping Sunday.

I was 315 all through high school and jumped about 20lbs when I hit college. It was muscle weight from power lifting.

My body fat kept dropping while my weight went up.

I was putting down 200$ worth of groceries down then.

Forgot to mention. Make him stretch every day. Legs arms etc... Be limber.

He will thank you 20 years down the road.

The bones will grow quicker than the muscles and cause immense pain later in life.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought I stopped growing when I was 17. At age 19 I grew another inch ending up at 6'3.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I never really had one. I've just been growing very slowly. I'm 20, 5'11" and wear a size 13. Dad didn't grow until his 20's and he was just under 6'4" wearing a 12 2E. Same thing with my older brother. About 5'10"-5'11" until he hit his 20's now he's 6'7" and wears a legit size 17 shoe. I hope I get taller. If your boy is wearing a 15, odd's are I could see him in the 6'5" range +/- an inch. Shoe size is no indicator though. One of my best friends is 6'5" and wears a 10.5. I call him lady feet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
He actually has a very narrow foot.  I wasn't with him when he was measured but they seem to fit him fine.

Luckily he does stretches daily because of his scurrliouses otherwise I doubt he'd listen to me, my first two didn't.  I was made to stretch daily in school and before exorcizing a habit I've kept up with.  I would hate to know what I would be like had I didn't.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He actually has a very narrow foot.  I wasn't with him when he was measured but they seem to fit him fine.

Luckily he does stretches daily because of his scurrliouses otherwise I doubt he'd listen to me, my first two didn't.  I was made to stretch daily in school and before exorcizing a habit I've kept up with.  I would hate to know what I would be like had I didn't.

View Quote

This is me exercising monumental restraint against my grammar-Nazi traits.
I like QDN a lot, and was raised to respect women...especially the six-feet-tall variety who can easily tie a knot in my neck.

At weigh-in for football, the summer before my freshman year: 4'10.5", 92 lbs.
The following June: 5'7", 140 lbs.
Family doctor had me doing toe-touches in a religious manner to avoid Achilles tendon problems; they weren't growing at the same rate as everything else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up an inch going from 19 to 21.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
5th grade through freshman year is when i grew the most.

I do not remember what my height/weight was.

Was darn near the shortest but grew to be among the taller kids.

It was very painful at times. My knees would hurt like  hell.

Mom would wrap them in hot towels and make me sleep with a pillow under them.

Parents spent a lot of money feeding me.

Mom was 4ft10in and dad is 6ft.

Dad's side average 6ft and taller.

Moms side is all under 6ft to  the 4ft range.

I grew to be 5ft 10in. Shoe size is 10 with narrow feet.

Always cussed that i did not reach at least 6ft but it was not in the cards.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I like QDN a lot, and was raised to respect women...especially the six-feet-tall variety who can easily tie a knot in my neck.

Family doctor had me doing toe-touches in a religious manner to avoid Achilles tendon problems; they weren't growing at the same rate as everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grammar/spelling has never been my strong point, especially on my phone that is for sure!  I tend to write here as I talk, you all just miss out on my vibrant body language which pulls it all together.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

5th grade through freshman year is when i grew the most.

I do not remember what my height/weight was.

Was darn near the shortest but grew to be among the taller kids.

It was very painful at times. My knees would hurt like  hell.

Mom would wrap them in hot towels and make me sleep with a pillow under them.

Parents spent a lot of money feeding me.

Mom was 4ft10in and dad is 6ft.

Dad's side average 6ft and taller.

Moms side is all under 6ft to  the 4ft range.

I grew to be 5ft 10in. Shoe size is 10 with narrow feet.

Always cussed that i did not reach at least 6ft but it was not in the cards.
View Quote
My Dad says and photo's support it that he was 5'9 when he graduated from HS and was 6' when he started college in the fall.  Dad played guard on his college basketball team so it was a big adjustment for him.  He had a hook shot that could not be defended against though.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I never really had a growth spurt.  I basically continually grew, just at a higher rate than my peers.  I was always the tall one.

I was 6'3" at 14.  Stopped growing in 9th grade, 6'5" to 6'6", size 13 shoe.

eta: My dad and brother had similar growth patterns.  My brother ended up 6' 3" and my dad ended up 5' 9", but he reached that height at an early age.  I think nutrition and health is why he didn't get taller.  

eta2: My mom is 5'7" and dad is 5'9".  Family photos with me (6'5") and brother (6'3") are always interesting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Never.. Had to take growth hormone shots from age 8 to 16.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a major spurt from 7th to 8th grade, went from little kid to shaving and 6 ft tall. Slowed down thru highschool and ended at 6 ft 5" , 220lbs and size 13 shoes.
All five us us kids are 6 ft + tall , my parents food bill was
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I never really had a growth spurt.  I basically continually grew, just at a higher rate than my peers.  I was always the tall one.

eta: My dad and brother had similar growth patterns.  My brother ended up 6' 3" and my dad ended up 5' 9", but he reached that height at an early age.  I think nutrition and health is why he didn't get taller.  

eta2: My mom is 5'7" and dad is 5'9".  Family photos with me (6'5") and brother (6'3") are always interesting.
View Quote

We sound pretty similar.

I was always the tall kid in school, never really a specific growth spurt though. In 8th grade I was 6'3" and 150lbs. By sophomore year of high school, I was 6'6" and 200lbs. By senior year of high school, I was 6'6" and 285lbs. By freshman year of college, I was 6'6" and 225lbs. Now, I'm 6'6" and 260lbs.

I wear a size 13/14 shoe depending on the brand (Nikes run small/narrow).
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#24]
remember op to take everything they say about how tall you are supposed to be with a grain of salt, i was "supposed" to end up around 5' 8-10 somewhere in there and i'm 6'5
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Around age 13 for me. Growth plates didn't close until I was about 19.

Had to stop catching in baseball because my knees were so messed up from it.

Between 13-15 I grew a foot, an additional 3 inches those last ˜3.5 years
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

We sound pretty similar.

I was always the tall kid in school, never really a specific growth spurt though. In 8th grade I was 6'3" and 150lbs. By sophomore year of high school, I was 6'6" and 200lbs. By senior year of high school, I was 6'6" and 285lbs. By freshman year of college, I was 6'6" and 225lbs. Now, I'm 6'6" and 260lbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We sound pretty similar.

wow you were/are a big boy!

My oldest was 6'5 when he graduated from college and weighed about 175.  He tried to play college basketball (wasn't cut out for it as he was the big man in his small high school but the small man in college and couldn't adjust to carrying the ball) and during the 3 week try out he dropped down to 155 (skin over bones.)

He is 25 now and weighs nearly 250.  He needs to lose about 25 pounds but over all he has just gotten to be man verses a boy.

Me?  Girls grow faster but I just grew really fast.  I was 5'9 in the 4th grade and 6ft in the 6th.  I have not grown up since 12.  When I graduated from HS I weighed 145 pounds (thought I was fat ) I got sick and lost a bunch of weight (got down to 119) and struggled making weight for the next several years.  I didn't start filling out until I was in my 20's (My brothers called me Flatty Patty)

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I was 5'2" from seventh grade till the end of my Sophmore year.

Then I come back to school after summer break as a junior at 5'6", then again the next year as a senior at 5'10" and at 22 I'm about 5'11"

Was 140 pounds the entire time up until about a year ago when my body decided to gain 40 pounds suddenly
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#28]
My now 17 year old son during his freshman year of highschool - that's nine months - grew 5 inches.  He said he needed pants at one point.  Yeah, they were too shoort, so we bought him some.  Four months later, "Dad I need pants".
"But we just bought you some."
"Yeah, but look."
We bought more pants.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My now 17 year old son during his freshman year of highschool - that's nine months - grew 5 inches.  He said he needed pants at one point.  Yeah, they were too shoort, so we bought him some.  Four months later, "Dad I need pants".

"But we just bought you some."

"Yeah, but look."

We bought more pants.
View Quote

My daughter grew 5" in the 8th grade, she was lucky and wore mostly skirts that never got too short.  Did your son suffer from growing pains?  I know when I was 10 I had them horribly.  My grandparents had to make a bed for me downstairs as it hurt to much to climb the stairs to my room.  I looked on line as my son is having growing pains and I thought well maybe they had something for them now but it says there is no real evidence that growing is painful.......so I guess not.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
There be giants in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#31]
When I was 12 I was 5'9" 190, when I was 15 I was 5'10" 250 when I was 18 I was 6' 275. from 10-14 no one could block me while I played defensive line, When I got to HS, everyone else was bigger than me and I sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lucky bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky bastard.

being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be. We're the first to know when it rains, but we really suffer in economy class when flying.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I was 6'4 as a freshman and grew another 2 inches over the next 10 years, MrsWind says she is 5'2, HurricaineAllie is a little over 5'8 at 12, they say 6' for her, she has a 3/4 spurt every 2 months or so. Girls are usually done early teens, I grew for twice that. It is Funny when your bully from grade school meets you decades later and you are 6'6 315 pounds and he was just told you were a 6th degree Black belt...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lucky bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky bastard.

Sucks being a manlet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
being tall isn't all it's cracked up to be. We're the first to know when it rains, but we really suffer in economy class when flying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky bastard.

yes and coordination we lack.  I have countless scars from falling down, running into, knocking my head, my knees.  From a woman's perspective when I was a kid women were not anywhere near as tall as I am so going to a store and buying clothes was not an option.  Shoes were not cute in my size (I wear size 10 which for my height isn't large/8.5 mens)

Also for my mother's generation girls were supposed to be fair and danty.  I was never either of these things.  If you'd listen to my mother describe me you'd have a mental picture of babe the blue ox in a dress.  I can't tell you how many women said to me when I was growing up how awful it must be to be tall.  I was a Tom boy and I loved sports so I loved being tall so I didn't have many hangups, but I also had a poor self image.  If you've ever seen the movie "In a League of their own" my mental image of myself was more of Rosie O'Donnell's character when in reality I looked more like Gena Davis.  My daughter to this day has the same mental image of herself, even though she has heard me growing up talking about how wonderful it is that she was tall (she has heard comments like I have from her Grandmothers).

So we all at one point and other think the grass is greener else where but the reason for my thread is to get an idea on my son's future growth spurt.  I don't expect him to get to 6'9 (I estimated his height to be 6'7) but clearly he has some growing to do.

Like others mentioned above when I was growing fast and my older two were they were hearty eaters my youngest is getting an appetite but he hasn't gotten his "hallow legs" yet.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was 6'4 as a freshman and grew another 2 inches over the next 10 years, MrsWind says she is 5'2, HurricaineAllie is a little over 5'8 at 12, they say 6' for her, she has a 3/4 spurt every 2 months or so. Girls are usually done early teens, I grew for twice that. It is Funny when your bully from grade school meets you decades later and you are 6'6 315 pounds and he was just told you were a 6th degree Black belt...
View Quote

That was awesome!  I had a similar but gender appropriate experience.  Last winter I ran into a girl that tormented me in grade school and junior high.  She was a good 100lbs over weight, supporting five kids and four grand kids on her min. wage job.  I actually felt sorry for her a little.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#37]
i'm 6'2''.    with my first ACL surgery doc said my growth plates were still "wide" open at 18 years old.  He said I'd hit 6'7'' 6'8''.    Had a 2nd ACL surgery and that doc said the same thing.    Here I am 8 years later and I'm still only 6'2''    but my dad is 5'8''  and mom is 5'09''   so I guess I'm lucky.    I also have lady feet.  I only wear a size 10
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there a pill or something for adults who feel like maybe they got cheated out of a growth spurt they should have gotten as a kid?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foot size doesn't always correlate to height.  Look at Johnny Manziel.  He's just a dis-proportioned freak.  He wears a size 17 shoe, and his hands are 11.75" from tip to tip, but he's only 5' 11" tall.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
My middle child who's 12 is eating me out of house and home.

He wears my clothing and is staring to find size 9 shoes to tight.

eta- he's 5'6" and fits into 30 inseam / 34 waist pants.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Foot size doesn't always correlate to height.  Look at Johnny Manziel.  He's just a dis-proportioned freak.  He wears a size 17 shoe, and his hands are 11.75" from tip to tip, but he's only 5' 11" tall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be honest with you I'd rather my son not be 6'9!  I was just curious as to when to expect his growth spurt.  He certainly has the genetics to be tall -- and by most accounts already is tall at 6' since the national average for men is about 5'11 now.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
wow, he's a big boy!  My son is skinny (too skinny, but I was the same way at his age.)  He wears a 28/34 right now which is difficult to find.  My oldest was similar and not as socially ept so I got away with buying him women's jeans and cutting out the tag.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I am 6-1and wear a 13 shoe, my son is 6-3 and wears a 17 shoe.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Last few months of 8th and summer before 9th grade when I turned 14. Grew like 5" and stopped. Now I'm old, fat, grey and I'm getting shorter.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought I stopped growing when I was 17. At age 19 I grew another inch ending up at 6'3.  
View Quote

I thought I was through and had topped out at 6'3" at age 17.  Then around age 21-22 I grew another inch and made it to 6'4".  Life was bad enough having growing pains in my legs as a teenager, when I could just lay in bed and suffer.  Going through that last spurt while in the military and having to work while going through that really sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

wow, he's a big boy!  My son is skinny (too skinny, but I was the same way at his age.)  He wears a 28/34 right now which is difficult to find.  My oldest was similar and not as socially ept so I got away with buying him women's jeans and cutting out the tag.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roll the pants leg as they sell 29 inseam or 30 inseam for a 34 waist.

I've only got a inch left on this kids.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Doctors thought I'd stop growing about 6.4.....I'm 6.6 now
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son and I are the same height.  Won't be long until he's taller

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

P - you're tall, so he's going to taller, at least when he dances with you at his wedding it looks good.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

P - you're tall, so he's going to taller, at least when he dances with you at his wedding it looks good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's let him be "little" a while longer!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top