Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
ATF is butt hurt because of sig's arm brace basically giving people unregistered SBR's. Not that they should be registered in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would be cool to have perma attached baffles to get it down to sbr length, and with only one form 1 be able to install the sleeve on whatever gun you are currently shooting.

But I think its a stretch to think the atf would have gone a long with this.
View Quote

As much as I want to blame the ATF, it would take legislation to fix this problem.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Good.  I hope they win.        

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Not so much after the last case, in which a judge told the ATF to go eat a turd sandwich with their goofy standard by which muzzle devices are classified.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a supressor baffle stack, without the external casing, permanently attached to the barrel.

If you put a metal sleeve on it, it IS a supressor, but until you do (presumably on a NFA Form 1 if you wanted to), it's clearly not a supressor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pics of the disputed device in OP or link.

Fail.

It's a supressor baffle stack, without the external casing, permanently attached to the barrel.

If you put a metal sleeve on it, it IS a supressor, but until you do (presumably on a NFA Form 1 if you wanted to), it's clearly not a supressor.

ATF has classified a shoelace as a machine gun.... I'm sure they'll get away with classifying this as a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If by some miracle Sig wins this fight, I solemnly vow to purchase a MPX-C (evan at the ridiculous MSRP they anounced) and attach a Sig stabilizing brace to it.  If I could put a Slide Fire on it, I'd do that too!  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If by some miracle Sig wins this fight, I solemnly vow to purchase a MPX-C (evan at the ridiculous MSRP they anounced) and attach a Sig stabilizing brace to it.  If I could put a Slide Fire on it, I'd do that too!  
View Quote

SBR it and you can put whatever stock you want on it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The muzzle brake is assbackwards if you want to prevent muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't think every person in the gun industry has those days several times a year?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened at Sig? It's as if one day they had a meeting and said, "You know what? Fuck the ATF."

You don't think every person in the gun industry has those days several times a year?

Maybe, but I don't see any of them suing the BATFE.  I guess I'm going to have to go and buy a Sig now.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the fun in that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dangerous strategy.

That said, "Go get 'em, Sig!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well all you have to do with a threaded barrel is screw on a suppressor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Yeah I was thinking the same..

This?

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sig-mdx-1.jpg

yep the baffles are already in place just have to form 1 it and buy the sleeve and boom silenced.

Well all you have to do with a threaded barrel is screw on a suppressor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Not to mention on any normal muzzle brake all you need to do to turn it into a silencer is weld a metal tube on the outside of it...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

It would be a form 4 because the tube is the "silencer".
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I know it's cool to make fun of Sig for their diamond plate guns and pimp-tastic finishes but I think, for a big established gun maker, they are pretty bad-ass for pushing boundaries the way they do.  Ruger nor Remington nor Colt would ever put something like the Sig brace on the market.  Or the MPX.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]
"economic injury” This is what's going to (capable of turning) turn over the 86 ban. I've made mention of it half a dozen times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not so much after the last case, in which a judge told the ATF to go eat a turd sandwich with their goofy standard by which muzzle devices are classified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was my first thought too.

Anybody got a link to that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, Sig is doing an excellent job of convincing me I need one of these. I almost don't care that it costs $2k at this point.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What happened at Sig? It's as if one day they had a meeting and said, "You know what? Fuck the ATF."
View Quote
I like it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]
ATF Director B. Todd Jones is named as defendant in Sig's lawsuit and has 21 days, after being served, to respond to the civil action, dated April 7.
View Quote

Should we expect a "my bad" from the ATF or a "we're the government and we say so" response?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

yep the baffles are already in place just have to form 1 it and buy the sleeve and boom silenced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Yeah I was thinking the same..

This?

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sig-mdx-1.jpg

Or have the sleeve mounted in bungee cords at your range and you can shoot silenced using the "glory hole."
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You do understand that's NOT its purpose, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to that one federal judge, that doesn't matter.

Law says the device has to reduce the sound of the shot. Actually has to, and the ATF has to show it. The design, the intent, and the parts used don't count unless the sound level drops.

That judge really shoved a boot up the ass of how ATF decides shit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I though the muzzle brake length was on purpose to make the device non-sbr in the first place.  It is a 6.5 inch barrel with a 9.5 inch muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"economic injury” This is what's going to (capable of turning) turn over the 86 ban. I've made mention of it half a dozen times.
View Quote

How? I'm curious.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I though the muzzle brake length was on purpose to make the device non-sbr in the first place.  It is a 6.5 inch barrel with a 9.5 inch muzzle brake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.  It still gets a brace.  Just 'cause.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I may have to find some cash to get a Sig pistol now...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's gonna blow his mind when he finds out water is wet and the sky is blue.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had a suspicion something might be happening after this ruling for another muzzle device.

http://www.shootingwire.com/features/228649
View Quote

OUCH!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Should we expect a "my bad" from the ATF or a "we're the government and we say so" response?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ATF Director B. Todd Jones is named as defendant in Sig's lawsuit and has 21 days, after being served, to respond to the civil action, dated April 7.

Option 3: a no knock raid on Sig HQ and some claims about providing guns to Mexican cartels?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

It will be interesting to see the rationale the ATF uses to justify the Sig barrel being called a silencer, when it is effectively no different than this being pinned on the barrel.

Just longer and wider, at which point it arbitrarily turns into a baffle stack instead of a brake.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had a suspicion something might be happening after this ruling for another muzzle device.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the link:

Judge Rules ATF "Jumped the Gun"

Law Abiding Americans Rule ATF "Jumped the Shark A Long Time Ago And Should Be Dismantled"
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
So which Sig Pistol do I buy to support them?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good. Big company with deep pockets, so hopefully they can get it reversed and establish precedence.
View Quote

Something went off the rails in their corporate office. Between the flash hider that magically works as a can when sleeved and the "arm brace", they are picking some fights here and not by accident.

Nice to see a big company like them intentionally thumb their noses at the feds like this. I wish them luck and will continue to buy their products.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I do not own any Sig products but now that will change.Because I am an American citizen I now "MUST BUY" a SIG MPZ"!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
OUCH!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OUCH!!!
 no doubt

The ruling went on to remind the ATF that having "a tail, grey skin and
four legs" didn't make an animal an "elephant" or a child's bicycle a
motorcycle because it had "three characteristics of motorcycles: two
rubber tires, handlebars and a leather seat."

He didn't stop there. He went on to point out that a Bud Light is not a
Single-Malt Scotch because it is "frequently served in a glass
container, contains alcohol and is served in a tavern" any more than a
hockey puck is a "rubber bullet" because it has "rounded sides, is made
of vulcanized rubber, and is capable of causing injury when launched at
high speeds."

"Learning that one object has three characteristics in common with some
category," he wrote, "may not be very helpful in determining whether the
object in question belongs in that category."

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based on your location, P220.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Will Sig be the next Ares?
View Quote

No, SIG has significant money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

P220 or a P226.

You should probably get both, just to be safe.

ETA: missed your location. P220
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Option 3: a no knock raid on Sig HQ and some claims about providing guns to Mexican cartels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What does it say about our current state of affairs if I say I honestly consider this a possibility? I'm already on the seized Ares list, I'll be on the Sig list for several Braces and pistols as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah if anyone believes that thing on the end of the mpx is intended to be a muzzle brake then I have some real estate to sell you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

no doubt

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OUCH!!!
 no doubt

The ruling went on to remind the ATF that having "a tail, grey skin and four legs" didn't make an animal an "elephant" or a child's bicycle a motorcycle because it had "three characteristics of motorcycles: two rubber tires, handlebars and a leather seat."

He didn't stop there. He went on to point out that a Bud Light is not a Single-Malt Scotch because it is "frequently served in a glass container, contains alcohol and is served in a tavern" any more than a hockey puck is a "rubber bullet" because it has "rounded sides, is made of vulcanized rubber, and is capable of causing injury when launched at high speeds."

"Learning that one object has three characteristics in common with some category," he wrote, "may not be very helpful in determining whether the object in question belongs in that category."

That is a well-educated judge.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dangerous strategy.

That said, "Go get 'em, Sig!"
View Quote

^This and more
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What does it say about our current state of affairs if I say I honestly consider this a possibility? I'm already on the seized Ares list, I'll be on the Sig list for several Braces and pistols as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG directors would be well served to put their dogs into hiding until further notice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, looks like I am going to be buying my 1st Sig shortly. I wonder what flavor it will be.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that is what they were trying to market it as to skirt the law.
If every retard can figure out it is not a muzzle brake, then why the fuck is sig arguing that it is one?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That is a well-educated judge.  
View Quote

If I ever get the chance I will buy him whatever beverage of his choice served in a glass at a tavern.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top