BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quick question for our legal eagle types:

1. FFLs cannot legally sell AP handgun ammo to civilians.
2. BATFE just ruled 5.45x39 7n6 is handgun AP ammo
3. What happens to the FFLs that still have this in stock and are still selling it??
View Quote

To be honest, if any store still has this on their shelves then they are neckbeards who tried to milk the panic.... it's their hole they dug... now they can lay in it.

Can't feel sorry for them.

5.45 has long been sold out everywhere when this news was about to hit.

Lastly, there is probably a hundred different ways that they can get rid of it without "selling it"
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My bumpfiring days are over!

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Where do you guys get your depleted uranium ammo from?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My bumpfiring days are over!

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sintered vs solid isnt part of the law.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had wondered how they treated solids.

If they pushed a lead free ban through it would make everything AP.

no, because the lead free stuff is usually sintered metal and not a solid.
Sintered vs solid isnt part of the law.  
It is, when you considered what a sintered projectile contains, in practice. It's not straight up powdered steel. It's an alloy, like powdered copper and tin, which makes it non-armor piercing per the statute.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only if you define the core as everything just under the jacket.    

I don't think it's too out of line to look at the bullet design, and say "Umm...the core is solid steel".

Look, I hate the law, I'd repeal it yesterday, and I'll even say it's poorly written, but it's an honest interpretation of it. Stevie Wonder saw this coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not biased...I actually read the statement wrong and thought they were using the second part of the definition.  They're using the first part, and its still bullshit because it doesn't meet that part of the definition either.  The projectile/core is NOT constructed entirely of the materials listed.  So again, it doesn't match the definition.  

Doesn't matter.  They're going to do what they want either way.  And most people, including most gun owners, won't care.
Only if you define the core as everything just under the jacket.    

I don't think it's too out of line to look at the bullet design, and say "Umm...the core is solid steel".

Look, I hate the law, I'd repeal it yesterday, and I'll even say it's poorly written, but it's an honest interpretation of it. Stevie Wonder saw this coming.

I saw it coming...I'm well stocked.  The projectile as a whole as well as the core both contain more than a trace amount of lead.  That means it doesn't fit the first part of the definition.  I'm not even saying there is a chance to get this overturned based on that fact...it just illustrates how the laws can and are twisted to fit the agenda, that's all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, the courts give a great deal of deference to administrative agencies when determinations such as this are challenged.

Anyone making the argument that BATFE is wrong will have a difficult time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess they are going to argue the lead is part of the jacket and not the core somehow.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Unfortunately, the courts give a great deal of deference to administrative agencies when determinations such as this are challenged.

Anyone making the argument that BATFE is wrong will have a difficult time.

But every once in a while the courts will call BS on the ATF.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I saw it coming...I'm well stocked.  The projectile as a whole as well as the core both contain more than a trace amount of lead.  That means it doesn't fit the first part of the definition.  I'm not even saying there is a chance to get this overturned based on that fact...it just illustrates how the laws can and are twisted to fit the agenda, that's all.
View Quote
Hey, if it were me working at the BATFE, I'd have said "The core is steel and a not-so insignificant amount of lead" and hope nobody called me on my bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#9]
This is my official response

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

3. What happens to the FFLs that still have this in stock and are still selling it??
View Quote

Importation is banned. No where in there did it say you can not sell what is in the country. 7N6 can no longer be imported unless it is for government testing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Importation is banned. No where in there did it say you can not sell what is in the country. 7N6 can no longer be imported unless it is for government testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC sec. 922(a)(8) seems to say otherwise, at least for certain FFL holders.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
7.62x39 Chinese steel core ammo back in the 80's was banned from import.

Nothing new to see here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No they didn't. They banned it on account of the first part. They even said so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or doesn't matter here. They banned it based on the second part, being "designed and intended for a pistol"

yup, your right, i misread what part they based it on, they are calling the lead in the bullet a "trace amount" which is bullshit!!! There is more than a "trace amount"

Fucking fuckers!!!

TRACE AMOUNT  
In analytical chemistry "trace" would indicate the presence of a material in a sample, but in quantities approaching the limit of detection of the analytical method, and so too small to be accurately measured.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not the best at legalese.  It seems to say that license holders can sell IF they log the sale...I'm sure I'm missing something though:

any firearm or armor-piercing ammunition to any person unless the licensee notes in his records, required to be kept pursuant to section 923 of this chapter, the name, age, and place of residence of such person if the person is an individual, or the identity and principal and local places of business of such person if the person is a corporation or other business entity

ETA- nevermind, that's part of a different section
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
yup, your right, i misread what part they based it on, they are calling the lead in the bullet a "trace amount" which is bullshit!!! There is more than a "trace amount"

Fucking fuckers!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or doesn't matter here. They banned it based on the second part, being "designed and intended for a pistol"

Fucking fuckers!!!
Depending on how you define "core", it's not out of line to look at the design and say the core is a cylindrical piece solid steel.

Now, if you define the "core" of a bullet to be anything and everything under the jacket, you'll have a different take on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#16]
retarded. any rifle ammo will zip right through IIA/III
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Prior to 7n6 ever being imported in quantity, Wolf and Barnaul 5.45x39 was being sold for around $99.00 a case.  I don't see the caliber becoming Unobtainium and the value of rifles dropping.  I've sold plenty of AK's over the last 12 years and never lost money on any of them.

Unless the ATF starts banning the importation of commercial ammo.  I have enough 5.45x39 ammo stashed for the rest of my lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

That stupid fuck has been doing that for a while.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Them motherfucking cunts. I hope they all get ass cancer.. I hope their kids are all crosseyed and baron and get boils on their asses. I hope they choke on their own shit and fall down a well infested with leeches and rabid rats.

Fuck them fuckers/

what I mean by that is please dont fucking murder me ATF. I dont have a house full of kids to murder with me, so I doubt if killing me would give you even a half staff erection anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Prior to 7n6 ever being imported in quantity, Wolf and Barnaul 5.45x39 was being sold for around $99.00 a case.  I don't see the caliber becoming Unobtainium and the value of rifles dropping.  I've sold plenty of AK's over the last 12 years and never lost money on any of them.

Unless the ATF starts banning the importation of commercial ammo.  I have enough 5.45x39 ammo stashed for the rest of my lifetime.
View Quote

Dude.  Shut up.  I want everyone thinking that 5.45x39 will be gone forever so they start unloading those sweet rifles on the cheap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]
wolf, golden tiger, silver bear will take up the slack.

i would not get too worried.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok why am I sitting here yelling "But it's .21 caliber!!!!"

It's not larger that .22 caliber

OR

Even if it weren't an OR, the actual project in 5.45mm ammunition is just over 22 hundredths of an inch in diameter.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude.  Shut up.  I want everyone thinking that 5.45x39 will be gone forever so they start unloading those sweet rifles on the cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#25]
On March 5, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received a request from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) to conduct a test, examination and classification of Russian-made 7N6 5.45x39 ammunition for purposes of determining whether it is considered “armor piercing ammunition”

Actually, it looks like CBP got nosy about 7N6, and requested a determination. Its funny, as they haven't had a problem letting it go through the ports
for the past 10 plus years. I'm assuming that if CBP didn't pipe up about it, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not at the price of surplus.........expect to pay a lot more at the pumps.......
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On March 5, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received a request from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) to conduct a test, examination and classification of Russian-made 7N6 5.45x39 ammunition for purposes of determining whether it is considered “armor piercing ammunition”

Actually, it looks like CBP got nosy about 7N6, and requested a determination. Its funny, as they haven't had a problem letting it go through the ports
for the past 10 plus years. I'm assuming that if CBP didn't pipe up about it, it wouldn't have been a problem.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not at the price of surplus.........expect to pay a lot more at the pumps.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh well.

gotta pay to play sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

JPFO's legal department has been looking into this and they feel its fallout from the situation in Ukraine
I dunno but
consider this, FB never exported that pistol to the US, they never even produced it
One sample was sent to the ATF 3 years ago
and they rule on the ammo now??

Something is not right.......
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What was the reasoning for that? Just so people would vote for a bullshit law?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is M855 ok but 7N6 isn't??

M855 (and M2 AP) is specifically exempt from the AP classification by law.

So the 7N6 just uses more steel? Well that's stupid...

You misunderstood me.

M855 and M2 AP are legally EXEMPT from ever being classified as armor piercing by BATFE. The same law that came up with this bullshit made those two off limits. Yes, M2 AP (ARMOR PIERCING) is legally exempt from being classified as ARMOR PIERCING by BATFE.

What was the reasoning for that? Just so people would vote for a bullshit law?

1.  "People would vote for a bullshit law?" "People" don't vote for laws, congressmen and senators do - after they write them.  This wasn't part of the original Gun Control Act of 1968, it came about in 1986 (HR 3132) after the Progressive media had been whipping the public into a frenzy over "cop-killer bullets" like the KTW (a barrier-blind round for LE, never sold to the public).

Congressman Biaggi (D-NY) had orginally written a bill that would have banned almost every rifle caliber.  Almost every rifle caliber - and many pistol calibers too - anything that could penetrate a NIJ Level II vest (maybe IIa).  .22 WMR, for example.

2.  M2 AP is / was commonly used as competition ammunition when actual .30 caliber National Match ammunition isn't / wasn't available.  NM has a 172ish grain bullet, M2 AP has 168ish grain bullets.  And since only the US government made it (in the US) Congress assumed no one would set up a factory and make it.

3.  M855 is called out as "non-armor piercing" because it isn't.  It was supposed to penetrate a mild steel M1 helmet at 600 meters.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
retarded. any rifle ammo will zip right through IIA/III
View Quote

No, just black talons hallowed points and heat seeking core perpetrators.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Somebody should print that notice out and ram it up their leader's ass.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
What a bunch of bullshit.

The ONLY Onyks builds ever made it into the US were as hard to find parts kits, or scraped together by combining available Tantal and Beryl parts.

If someone tried to import a complete Radom-made Onyks pistol, the ONLY company that has the import contract with Radom is I.O Inc - so now you have another fucktarded company to blame for this, as well as the ATF themselves. I'm not even surprised that the idiots at I.O. Inc. would be stupid enough to submit a 5.45x39 pistol. I don't doubt it for a second.

The biggest BS part about the ATF's statement is this:

ATF’s analysis also concluded that the ammunition could be used in a commercially available handgun, the Fabryka Bronie Radom, Model Onyks 89S, 5.45x39 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which was approved for importation into the United States in November 2011.
View Quote

NOBODY HAS EVER SOLD THE ONYKS PISTOL AS A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.

How the fuck can it be "commercially available" if it has never been available for sale in the US? Import submission doesn't mean something is "commercially available," but I guess some lawyer could probably tell me otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Anything from the NRA or GOA or any of the "2A rights groups" on this?  I just did a quick search and can't find anything.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
JPFO's legal department has been looking into this and they feel its fallout from the situation in Ukraine

I dunno but

consider this, FB never exported that pistol to the US, they never even produced it

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On March 5, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received a request from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) to conduct a test, examination and classification of Russian-made 7N6 5.45x39 ammunition for purposes of determining whether it is considered "armor piercing ammunition”

I dunno but

Its not even a pistol, its an SBR....that was never imported.

This is just more bullshit Batmen making another "reinterpretation" of laws passed by Congress.  Changing the written law by caveat, no legislative authority to do so.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what some are asking for surplus its more than you can buy non corrosive ammo for.

It is going to be a price jump and sucks but ammo will still be out there.  

AIM had a tin for  around .16 a round

New production can be had for .25 a round and it non corrosive and I am sure if you shop it can find it cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What really makes this stupid is that any bottlenecked rifle ammo will zip right through a cop vest, even out of a pistol.
View Quote

Not if it is subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The ONLY Onyks builds ever made it into the US were as hard to find parts kits, or scraped together by combining available Tantal and Beryl parts.

If someone tried to import a complete Radom-made Onyks pistol, the ONLY company that has the import contract with Radom is I.O Inc - so now you have another fucktarded company to blame for this, as well as the ATF themselves. I'm not even surprised that the idiots at I.O. Inc. would be stupid enough to submit a 5.45x39 pistol. I don't doubt it for a second.

How the fuck can it be "commercially available" if it has never been available for sale in the US? Import submission doesn't mean something is "commercially available," but I guess some lawyer could probably tell me otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ATF’s analysis also concluded that the ammunition could be used in a commercially available handgun, the Fabryka Bronie Radom, Model Onyks 89S, 5.45x39 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which was approved for importation into the United States in November 2011.

While I.O.inc is working with FB now, I don't know if they were working with them in 2011. FB has long been toying with entering the US commercial
market so they may have actually submitted it on their own. The truth is upper management at FB looks at the US market as little more than a free
trip to Vegas for SHOT Show.....they don't understand commercial sales.....

I can't see I.O. Inc doing something like this, they better than most know how the ATF plays....my money would be on FB doing it themselves.....

BUT THE REAL POINT IS
5.45X39MM 7N6 AMMO HAS BEEN BANNED DUE TO A PISTOL WHICH
IS NOT IN PRODUCTION AND HAS NEVER BEEN IMPORTED TO THE US

THINK ABOUT IT............
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Not even close.
5.45x39
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. You can get Wolf 750 rd cases for something like $180, I believe it is.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

While I.O.inc is working with FB now, I don't know if they were working with them in 2011. FB has long been toying with entering the US commercial
market so they may have actually submitted it on their own. The truth is upper management at FB looks at the US market as little more than a free

I can't see I.O. Inc doing something like this, they better than most know how the ATF plays....my money would be on FB doing it themselves.....

BUT THE REAL POINT IS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT THE REAL POINT IS

Basically no different than them looking at the Obrez and declaring 54r dead if we're going to play the "it could exist therefore it is" game.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not even close.
5.45x39
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not even close.
5.45x39

Ummm, he meant 7N6
almost all of that is commercial ammo.......

there is some 7N6 listed, at jacked prices, wonder what they will do now that its
AP...............they can't sell it...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Not if it is subsonic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What really makes this stupid is that any bottlenecked rifle ammo will zip right through a cop vest, even out of a pistol.

Not if it is subsonic.

The definition in 18 U.S. Code § 921 (a)(17)(A) doesn't say anything about velocity.  A cartridge could contain no powder and still meet the definition if the projectile does.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Time to save some money for some cheap 5.45 rifles

Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Jesus Classic had some 5.45
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#48]
How come nobody here is thinking about the children? WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#49]
I see 7.62x54R next. If you can't stop the weapons, then stop the ammo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Silly question, but if congress passed a law banning the manufacture (by FFLs only) or importation of a handgun chambered in 7.62x54R, would that protect us from the same thing happening to that caliber as just happened to 7n6?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top