Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's beyond insanity that a bureau can make calls such as this.

Fuck you, ATF!

View Quote
Honestly, it's a fair reading of the statute. A bullshit statute to be sure, but...any honest reading of the GCA would lead you to the same conclusion.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks OP for the ATF link.

It might be worth stickying this for a few days, I would think.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
cocksuckers
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was already fucked  

the what?  Fabryka Bronie Radom what what what?
View Quote

The @#$%ing Bronies did this!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the soviets designed and intended 7n6 for pistols??? I don't fucking think so.

(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So the soviets designed and intended 7n6 for pistols??? I don't fucking think so.

(
ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.” (emphasis added)

You're right, but that doesn't matter.   They're gonna do whatever they want.   And somebody at the BATF is getting a big attaboy from Zero for this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ammo prices will rise, 5.45 firearms will decrease in price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what does this mean for prices of 5.45. They going to level out around 7.62x39?

Ammo prices will rise, 5.45 firearms will decrease in price.

Eh.. Or people wont give a fuck. Most people i know run 7.62x39

I could ask 100 people in North Carolina what an AK74 is and 96 of them will try to correct me and tell me im talking about an AK47
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What really makes this stupid is that any bottlenecked rifle ammo will zip right through a cop vest, even out of a pistol.
View Quote

Given the fact that the law was written as the result of hysteria and not because of some real problem, one should not expect it to have some connection with reality.

In fact, its best if one NEVER expects a connection between the products of Congress and reality.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly, it's a fair reading of the statute. A bullshit statute to be sure, but...any honest reading of the GCA would lead you to the same conclusion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

Was the 5.45x39mm 7n6 designed and intended for use in a handgun, or did someone design a handgun to make use of this rifle ammo?

And to go after the section they used against us:

a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

There is a hell of a lot more than a trace of lead in the core here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Dumb.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what does this mean for prices of 5.45. They going to level out around 7.62x39?
View Quote

Eventually, yes.  5.45 will probably end up being a little higher, just because there are so many more 7.62x39 guns.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

No.  It's a bullshit reading.  The ammo was NOT designed to be used in a handgun.  The opposite is true.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Really?

ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

Was the 5.45x39mm 7n6 designed and intended for use in a handgun, or did someone design a handgun to make use of this rifle ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

OR. Boolean OR. Read i), right before it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

Go back and read the edit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You misunderstood me.

M855 and M2 AP are legally EXEMPT from ever being classified as armor piercing by BATFE. The same law that came up with this bullshit made those two off limits. Yes, M2 AP (ARMOR PIERCING) is legally exempt from being classified as ARMOR PIERCING by BATFE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is M855 ok but 7N6 isn't??

M855 (and M2 AP) is specifically exempt from the AP classification by law.

So the 7N6 just uses more steel? Well that's stupid...

You misunderstood me.

M855 and M2 AP are legally EXEMPT from ever being classified as armor piercing by BATFE. The same law that came up with this bullshit made those two off limits. Yes, M2 AP (ARMOR PIERCING) is legally exempt from being classified as ARMOR PIERCING by BATFE.

What was the reasoning for that? Just so people would vote for a bullshit law?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No.  It's a bullshit reading.  The ammo was NOT designed to be used in a handgun.  The opposite is true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

It doesn't need to be designed for use in a handgun, per the statute. Read the whole thing, not just the part that confirms your bias.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]
So the way I read this, it really had nothing to do with a pistol being imported or converted or manufactured.

It has everything to do with an anti-gun politician pulling the strings of a local customs office to "inquire" about this round.

Or am I missing something here?

If I am right, we can brace ourselves now on 54r, it will be next without a question.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Someone call the NAACP

I feel this ruling is racist..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Soooo...

Does that mean PTR screwed 7.62x51 surplus imports, too?

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/PTR915300Pr1.jpg
View Quote

No, I think it was some bolt action match pistol. X100 maybe?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

we aint got time for that shit...

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is M855 ok but 7N6 isn't??

M855 (and M2 AP) is specifically exempt from the AP classification by law.

So the 7N6 just uses more steel? Well that's stupid...

You misunderstood me.

My guess is it was because Uncle Sam used to sell off his surplus ammo and didn't want to legislate himself out of a market. Not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like they were digging to find something to ban and they found it.  Fucking shit stains.  

I sincerely hope if and when we take over congress, we can pressure them to fix that bullshit legislation.  I doubt it, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really?

a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

The dispute is over what makes up the "core" of the bullet.
You think it's one thing, everything inside the jacket. They determined it's another, the steel insert.
The determination is exactly the same as the one made years ago concerning M43.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the way I read this, it really had nothing to do with a pistol being imported or converted or manufactured.

It has everything to do with an anti-gun politician pulling the strings of a local customs office to "inquire" about this round.

Or am I missing something here?
View Quote

Well its time for all these 2A org to earn their coin...

The NRA called me today to renew my membership and i told the rep on my phone i will ensure everyone i come in contact with knows the NRA is bullshit if they didnt do somthing about this particular situation.. i feel bad because the girl probably had no idea what i was talking about
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It doesn't need to be designed for use in a handgun, per the statute. Read the whole thing, not just the part that confirms your bias.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

eggzactaly! thats why barnes had to pull all the brass non HP bullets that make in .224 and 30 cal last year. HP is OK non HP is AP. Since there are now handguns that shoot both .224 and 30 cal..

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quick question for our legal eagle types:

1. FFLs cannot legally sell AP handgun ammo to civilians.
2. BATFE just ruled 5.45x39 7n6 is handgun AP ammo
3. What happens to the FFLs that still have this in stock and are still selling it??
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

Or doesn't matter here. They banned it based on the second part, being "designed and intended for a pistol"
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

I'm not biased...I actually read the statement wrong and thought they were using the second part of the definition.  They're using the first part, and its still bullshit because it doesn't meet that part of the definition either.  The projectile/core is NOT constructed entirely of the materials listed.  So again, it doesn't match the definition.  

Doesn't matter.  They're going to do what they want either way.  And most people, including most gun owners, won't care.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Or doesn't matter here. They banned it based on the second part, being "designed and intended for a pistol"

View Quote
No they didn't. They banned it on account of the first part. They even said so.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Someone call the NAACP

View Quote

I've actually been calling for a challenge playing the race card.

Banning cheap ammo would have a disparate impact on poor people from exercising their second amendment rights, since African Americans and Hispanics make up the majority of the poor. I've sold piles of AK-74 mags to Hispanic Americans.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like they were digging to find something to ban and they found it.  Fucking shit stains.  

I sincerely hope if and when we take over congress, we can pressure them to fix that bullshit legislation.  I doubt it, though.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#32]
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

When ATF tested the 7N6 samples provided by CBP, they were found to contain a steel core.
View Quote

22 caliber, 21 caliber or 50 caliber means abso-fucking-lutely zero.

They determined it has a steel core.  End of story unless and until a court overturns the determination
under the applicable standard of review.

What we need to be doing is setting the NRA to work to amend the statute, or file a lawsuit to overturn
the determination.  Wailing about it ain't gonna help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

3. What happens to the FFLs that still have this in stock and are still selling it??
View Quote

ya don't sell it.. you use it as test rounds.. Or transfer to a type 9 FFL.

you be trolling now, bro..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You think it's one thing, everything inside the jacket. They determined it's another, the steel insert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

Really?

I guess they are going to argue the lead is part of the jacket and not the core somehow.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, this is correct.

Accordingly, the ammunition is “armor piercing” under the section 921(a)(17)(B)(i) and is therefore not importable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trolling, just curious as AIM was smart enough to blow this out the door before the ruling came down, but a few other retailers bought up their supply (~400 cans) and tried to flip it for a huge profit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

eggzactaly! thats why barnes had to pull all the brass non HP bullets that make in .224 and 30 cal last year. HP is OK non HP is AP. Since there are now handguns that shoot both .224 and 30 cal..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, ATF!

I had wondered how they treated solids.
If they pushed a lead free ban through it would make everything AP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Banning cheap ammo would have a disparate impact on poor people from exercising their second amendment rights, since African Americans and Hispanics make up the majority of the poor. I've sold piles of AK-74 mags to Hispanic Americans.

http://www.conservativefiringline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jesse-Jackson-RaceCard.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone call the NAACP

http://www.conservativefiringline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Jesse-Jackson-RaceCard.jpeg

I am a broke veteran in college.. Now i cant defend myself as i lost all my other stuff in a parachuting accident.. All i have is my Bulgy AK74..

How the FUCK am i gonna EAT NOW! - Veteran Racisim!!!

ETA im also part Cherokee.. Lawsuit inbound
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

now you are getting with the program...

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guess they are going to argue the lead is part of the jacket and not the core somehow.

View Quote

steel jacket, steel core. jacket has copper wash..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm not biased...I actually read the statement wrong and thought they were using the second part of the definition.  They're using the first part, and its still bullshit because it doesn't meet that part of the definition either.  The projectile/core is NOT constructed entirely of the materials listed.  So again, it doesn't match the definition.  

Doesn't matter.  They're going to do what they want either way.  And most people, including most gun owners, won't care.

View Quote
Only if you define the core as everything just under the jacket.

I don't think it's too out of line to look at the bullet design, and say "Umm...the core is solid steel".

Look, I hate the law, I'd repeal it yesterday, and I'll even say it's poorly written, but it's an honest interpretation of it. Stevie Wonder saw this coming.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#43]
fucked.

This is honestly a huge blow to my shooting. I always knew the day could come but loved my '74s and 5.45 ARs more than any other guns, so I have maybe a couple more in that caliber than was maybe reasonable. So ammo will skyrocket and the guns that shoot it will plummet in value. With .22 being non existent, decent 556 about the same cost as crappy 308, I just dont see much fun in shooting right now when it costs so much and is looked down upon so heavily. maybe its time to thin the herd and get back into hot rods but then gas isnt any cheaper...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go back and read the notice again. The determination is based on the FIRST subparagraph, which doesn't contain the words "designed" or "intended".
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not trolling, just curious as AIM was smart enough to blow this out the door before the ruling came down, but a few other retailers bought up their supply (~400 cans) and tried to flip it for a huge profit.
View Quote

Wanna bet all that stuff was "transferred" to non-FFL holders (like their wife) prior to the determination,

and they have notarized bills of sale to prove it?  Cash transaction too, probably for exactly what they

paid for it. No tax due that way since it's a wash............
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

no, because the lead free stuff is usually sintered metal and not a solid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sintered vs solid isnt part of the law.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, the courts give a great deal of deference to administrative agencies when determinations such as this are challenged.
Anyone making the argument that BATFE is wrong will have a difficult time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My understanding was that there wasn't yet a final determination about the Barnes solids.  Has that changed?
View Quote

ya i saw it late last year.. If i get some time i can dig for it later today..  Its funny, copper solid is ok, but brass is not.. lulz..
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top