Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just saw this thread, meant to record the series but forgot.  Have it recorded now thou, looks promising.  Couple other up coming series I'm looking forward to are The Strain, and Fargo

Available at AMC.com for the next 28 days, if you missed it.

Good deal!  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If AMC follows how they ran TWD, the show from the previous
week will be broadcast before the new show, I hope!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I liked it.  I was surprised that they have Robert Rogers in it.  Though I do recall reading about him working on anti-espinoage around NY in real life.  I would have really liked to see them forget the spy ring and just make a show on Robert Rogers himself.  Bad ass of the century for sure.  For those of you who don't know, he basically started what is today the "Rangers" setting out rules for guerilla warfare and sneaking around through the woods, most of which are still taught in military training today.  Wore an early version of camo instead of red or blue coats.  Fought on ice skates and snowshoes as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]
My son and I enjoyed it. That's saying something when a show is able to hold the attention of a 17 year old. I'm interested to see how they develop the story. They certainly crammed a bunch of stuff in the first episode.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My son and I enjoyed it. That's saying something when a show is able to hold the attention of a 17 year old. I'm interested to see how they develop the story. They certainly crammed a bunch of stuff in the first episode.
View Quote
Too bad they stuffed it with some stuff, supposedly he wasn't married until after the war.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this show seriously not getting any traction here?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is this show seriously not getting any traction here?
View Quote

I haven't watched it yet.

It looks very interesting, but I was going to let it get a few episodes in and then watch all of them in one setting so I could get a good feel for the show.

Might have to renege on this idea and watch the first two tonight though since I don't have to be up early tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if some folks will draw parallels from the show to the modern day standoff with the Federals in Nevada?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I liked it.  I was surprised that they have Robert Rogers in it.  Though I do recall reading about him working on anti-espinoage around NY in real life.  I would have really liked to see them forget the spy ring and just make a show on Robert Rogers himself.  Bad ass of the century for sure.  For those of you who don't know, he basically started what is today the "Rangers" setting out rules for guerilla warfare and sneaking around through the woods, most of which are still taught in military training today.  Wore an early version of camo instead of red or blue coats.  Fought on ice skates and snowshoes as well.
View Quote

To bad he fought for the crown. Didn't we have units that used these tactics as well though?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wonder if some folks will draw parallels from the show to the modern day standoff with the Federals in Nevada?
View Quote

That's kinda why I'm surprised it's not getting more traffic - not just with what happened in Nevada but in general. Especially since we all just paid taxes.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm liking it so far. Agree that Rogers is the best character. Not actually a huge fan of the main guy. The dude that's an officer in the Continental Army seems like he may develop into a good character. The show hasn't done that well in the ratings unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump for tonight?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bump for tonight?
View Quote

Ill be watching. We'll see how this episode goes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been watching it on demand and enjoying it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm liking it so far. Agree that Rogers is the best character. Not actually a huge fan of the main guy. The dude that's an officer in the Continental Army seems like he may develop into a good character. The show hasn't done that well in the ratings unfortunately.
View Quote

I like the British Capt.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cocksucker fought for the Crown during the Revolution.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen the first two episodes, and I like it so far.

I like that John Andre is a recurring character...

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
id like to know who the girl singing fairwell and adieu Spanish ladies at the end was. As for the show, it could be better but ill keep watching
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The writing and acting is spot on. They've made up some believable characters, which is really my #1 thing when watching TV. The cinematography is pretty boring and very 'cable' like. The fx and cgi are really bad, fight scenes are okay and GSWs are okay, but the sailing and water scenes are atrocious. Water is such an important part of Long Island and the region in general, it's really sad they didn't nail the water.  Watching Brewster escape on that boat last night was really pathetic and rips you out of the story.  I'm gonna deal with it because the writing is good, but I'm cranky.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The writing and acting is spot on. They've made up some believable characters, which is really my #1 thing when watching TV. The cinematography is pretty boring and very 'cable' like. The fx and cgi are really bad, fight scenes are okay and GSWs are okay, but the sailing and water scenes are atrocious. Water is such an important part of Long Island and the region in general, it's really sad they didn't nail the water.  Watching Brewster escape on that boat last night was really pathetic and rips you out of the story.  I'm gonna deal with it because the writing is good, but I'm cranky.
View Quote

Yeah their water CGI is lacking at best, probably due to budget constraints thanks to fucking Mad Men.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah their water CGI is lacking at best, probably due to budget constraints thanks to fucking Mad Men.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better CGI than falling skies.

Give them a season of decent ratings and they'll grt some $$$.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh God, Falling Skies. Hopefully more like Falling Ratings.

The writing is good and I'm very much sucked in by the times and the story so hopefully this show sticks around.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been watching it. It's really the only series I watch at all.

There is a couple of things about it that bothers me.
Why is it that they speak about all this important shit right in front of that captured British officer asshole?

Then, there is the soap opera drama between Abraham's wife and that other girl. Totally unnecessary.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why is it that they speak about all this important shit right in front of that captured British officer asshole?

Then, there is the soap opera drama between Abraham's wife and that other girl. Totally unnecessary.

View Quote

Yeah their OPSEC is pretty lousy. I loved it when those brothers butt-stroked him right in the chops. Something tells me that guy is going to remain somewhat of a main character throughout this story. Otherwise they'd have already gutted him.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
id like to know who the girl singing fairwell and adieu Spanish ladies at the end was. As for the show, it could be better but ill keep watching
View Quote

Sarah Blasko

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn.  I saw the thread title and was hoping for  the return of the Gremiln, Pacer, and AMX Javelin.

View Quote

Lmao!   My first thoughts as well.  To have real Jeeps being built again would sweeten that deal too.  We can dream!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Been meaning to pick that up. Is it any good?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The story of the Culper ring is the stuff of legends. Read Brian Kilmeade 'a book for a sort of historical fiction based on study of papers from the ring.

Been meaning to pick that up. Is it any good?

Its like reading fictional history more than a historical record of the ring. The book that the show was based on is pretty good too. I got started on it and its good.

DIA (you know, the other intel agency) is releasing some stuff discussing America's first spy rings:

Washington, more than an general and a president
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched an episode with my Dad and neither of us really liked it.  I'm disappointed as I had high hopes for it.  We did miss the first episode though so maybe I'll go back and try to watch it from the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah their OPSEC is pretty lousy. I loved it when those brothers butt-stroked him right in the chops. Something tells me that guy is going to remain somewhat of a main character throughout this story. Otherwise they'd have already gutted him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British officer will end being a long term character and I am going to make a prediction here.

Keeping him alive at some point is going to bite them in the ass. He (British officer) irritates the living shit out of me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I like it.

It sort of brings home what you would face dealing with our own .gov if things went south and you were stuck behind enemy lines but wanted to help.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rogers was a true bad ass in the The French and Indian War. No question. But, by the time of the Revolution, he was older and fatter as they say. The Queen's Rangers as they were called were not much more than mercenaries by this time and as Rogers himself said, "Washington would not pay them", so they stayed on the side of the Crown.

All in all, I like the show. There are some good books on it and I have one, I am waiting to read it until after the show is finished just to see how much it deviates from it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#33]
He's definitely not going anywhere if they want to keep it even slightly accurate. In real life Captain Simcoe went on to become the 1st Lt Governor of upper Canada.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#34]
The main character's father is such a fucking boot licker. And the major living in his home showed a stroke of brilliance with the gravestone stunt. I dig this show but I wish they'd have done a better job with the theme song, holy shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah the song sucks, but the show is moving along nicely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ready to watch. I'm really digging it so far.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
WTF
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn, shit's getting deeper.

The guy playing General Washington is... just, well, perfect. I don't know what it is but I don't feel like I'm watching an actor play GW.

Kinda hard to take Milton serious as an expert spy and logistics master but he's doing a good job at it.

In for more!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Good episode. Still doesn't seem like it's getting traction somehow. Only two episodes left this season and I'm still hooked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Anna Strong is insanely hot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Anna Strong is insanely hot.

View Quote

My God yes.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Ya'll realize its been on for 9 weeks already.  Season is almost finished.  Its a good show though.  Worth watching.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Ya'll realize its been on for 9 weeks already.  Season is almost finished.  Its a good show though.  Worth watching.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm liking it. I wish they would stop calling the British Army the Royal Army though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Is anybody watching TURN right now?  They just disarmed the town.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Still finding it hard to believe this show hasn't gained more traction with this crowd. LOTS of near-parallels going on between the show and current events. Great episode.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm finding it a great show, although I have to admit the accents and archaic language require full concentration at times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm finding it a great show, although I have to admit the accents and archaic language require full concentration at times.
View Quote

Haha, definitely.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Still finding it hard to believe this show hasn't gained more traction with this crowd. LOTS of near-parallels going on between the show and current events. Great episode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel the same way and thought that this thread would absolutely explode with activity after the gun confiscation episode.

The history buff in me is a bit torn. Sometimes, I want to scream at some of the anachronistic herp-derp and outright character assassination (Lee, for example). But most of the time, I'm just ecstatic to see that era depicted on screen and to have some interesting themes and early tradecraft explored. The portrayal of Washington is impressing me, too. I really hope it has several seasons ahead of it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top