Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
And bikers always brag at how they are non judgemental of others and shit. LMFAO. Yet a thread with a biker judging other bikers lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

says the guy with an '80's era engine in his pic ... show us yours
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Back then we took pride in building American rides in our own garage.
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/highrailjon/kicker.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Enjoy your mechanized patio furniture.

The jap bikes generally were more reliable and did not require q rebuild so soon .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait....this isn't about 10 speeds?
View Quote

I was thinking it was going to be about the Orange Krate, Apple Krate, or Banana Krate etc.... Those were the shit back in the day.

ETA... NM, Title was about foreign bikes.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As soon as a finish reading this thread I will burn my unworthy GPZ 550.

Which is still faster, corners better, etc. than your rolling jukebox.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this a FAG thread?
View Quote

Now that your here it is !
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The jap bikes generally were more reliable and did not require q rebuild so soon .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy your mechanized patio furniture.

Hell yeah!  

You want to restore my pride in American bikes?

-then stop relying on a POS engine design from the 1930s.  I know about the V-Rod.  OP surely hates that motor.

-Stop building every frame with sub-standard materials like steel tubing; ever hear of aluminum alloys like 7075-T6? (hint your AR lower is made of it).  

-And implement quality control on par with the Japanese, Italians, and current Brit bikes.  Ever ride a AMF-built Harley? Total garbage Sure it has "improved" since then; not a very high bar to clear!

Instead, HD's latest venture is to slap their name all over some crappy budget bike built in India.  Seriously HD?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]

I had one, the blue  paint scheme.  I LOVED that bike.  Not once had to take a wrench to it in the 10 years I rode it.   Actually sold it for $300 more than I paid new.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't really dislike Harley Davidson motorcycles,it's the people that ride them that annoys me the most.
View Quote

+100,000

The old Brit guys, the old German guys,, the Italian fans, the UJM guys, vintage dirtbike guys, they all appreciate THEIR bikes, but understand that there is better stuff out there.  HD fanbois think the world is flat and Moses himself rode a HD.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
So you think this is all Harley builds right?
Quoted:
It's a love/hate thing. Who else builds an air cooled, roller bearing bottom end, pushrod motor? Briggs and Stratton...........

Oh yeah, the 45 degree cylinder, male female connecting rod set up. It's ridiculous. Still love 'em.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Harleys don't leak oil. They mark their spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Factory dripping HUGE puddles of oil.

Harleys don't leak oil. They mark their spot.

You can think of lots of euphemisms for incontinence I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its pretty much impossible for most of arfcom to have any understanding of Harley Davidson, especially back in the days before the RUB's came along and changed it all.  Riding or owning a Harley was a lot more than just wearing Converse sneakers, long hair and racing around on some shit Jap bike like the ignorant fools most foreign bike riders were.  Of course it took a lot more to keep those older Harley's running too.  That was a pain in the ass and seems to get forgotten as years pass.

On arfcom most members can do super tuning of an iPad or smart phone (after all, most of teh arfcom are IT tech geeks), smoke dope like the Grateful Dead and dress like the faggot hipsters they are trying to be but cannot under any circumstances understand, let alone handle, a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
View Quote

Thanks for proving my point.

When you are brand-blinded you come off as a damn fool.  Appreciate what you like, but don't go full fan boy worship!  You are missing out on so much  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a love/hate thing. Who else builds an air cooled, roller bearing bottom end, pushrod motor? Briggs and Stratton...........

Oh yeah, the 45 degree cylinder, male female connecting rod set up. It's ridiculous. Still love 'em.

Harley's are not "built."  They are assembled  of parts from hundreds of subcontractors.  probalby the same  chinese factory that makes the decals they sell in the shop.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you what they DON'T build: much of their over-priced clothing and fashion line.  Its mostly made in China.  

"American" my ass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suffice to say you all sound like some extremist douches to me, in your own little way.
Just ride, bitches, and stop taking yourselves so seriously.
View Quote

yuppers, you gets it....

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

All these guys who put down harleys couldn't gap a set of points if their life depended on it. And they will never know the feeling that gives.
View Quote

You do realize that 50% of Harley owners probably don't even know what points are.  Another 30% probably do, but don't know how to set them.  

As for me, I'm, glad I don't have to mess with points every few thousand miles.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

But whatever. Nostalgia is overrated. And Harleys are gay.

>
View Quote

Who knew it, jap bikes have points too!

Do you even bean can??  Even know what I am referring too?

Nostalgia is one thing, I like and have old tractors.  But who wants to use one day in and day out, when you can have a modern tractor that steers itself and does not require maintenance constantly?
Appreciate the past=cool
Think the past is better then the present=wee-tod
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do have admiration for those who keep old Ford Model T and As on the road.  But I don't think they are the best vehicle ever.  Just a stepping stone.

Yes, I know how to tear down a CV carb.  I know how to troubleshoot electronic ignition.  I know how to change TUBELESS tires.  Because I have done it.

Quit thinking old school is better, you sound like neo-luddites.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't really care for Harley's though, not to mention the sort of people who ride them.
View Quote

I am sympathetic to the above viewpoint.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#20]
My grandfather was one of the original sonny Barger hells angels.

One of my first memories is of riding on the tank of a harley.

I've had a few harleys....I'll stick with my Japanese bikes :-)

In fact I think I will go for a ride right now.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<a href="http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=2503" target="_blank">http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/old_lady_purse_fight.gif</a>
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=2503" target="_blank">http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/old_lady_purse_fight.gif</a>

Awesome!

I wish there was a version that was more in focus
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+100,000

The old Brit guys, the old German guys,, the Italian fans, the UJM guys, vintage dirtbike guys, they all appreciate THEIR bikes, but understand that there is better stuff out there.  HD fanbois think the world is flat and Moses himself rode a HD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't really dislike Harley Davidson motorcycles,it's the people that ride them that annoys me the most.

+100,000

I think the engine technology dates from about that era.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The shovelhead motor started being built in 1966. Got any more of your infinite wisdom you want to share?

It's also obvious that all of you using the worn out stereotypical "oil leak" drivel have no idea that it was intentional. The earlier models scavenged a bit of oil that was routed thru a line to drip oil on the drive chain to keep it lubed.

I bought my Low Rider new in 85 and my buddy had a 80's something Honda 750. Kept telling me his would still be running after mine was dead. His oh so reliable Honda thew a cam chain in about 88 and toasted the motor. My Low Rider is still on the road and Honda boy switched over to Harley.

I don't give a shit what ya ride. I'll wave to pretty much anyone on two wheels, even mopeds and old fuckers on rascals. Get over yourselves for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#27]
10 speed jap bike

80's though
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The shovelhead motor started being built in 1966. Got any more of your infinite wisdom you want to share?

It's also obvious that all of you using the worn out stereotypical "oil leak" drivel have no idea that it was intentional. The earlier models scavenged a bit of oil that was routed thru a line to drip oil on the drive chain to keep it lubed.

I bought my Low Rider new in 85 and my buddy had a 80's something Honda 750. Kept telling me his would still be running after mine was dead. His oh so reliable Honda thew a cam chain in about 88 and toasted the motor. My Low Rider is still on the road and Honda boy switched over to Harley.

I don't give a shit what ya ride. I'll wave to pretty much anyone on two wheels, even mopeds and old fuckers on rascals. Get over yourselves for fucks sake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your last line sums it up for me. I love my Harley, but it doesn't make me better than anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no. I have my own business, I work on them 6 days a week. I also have no dillusions of them being engineering wonders or better than any other brand. Most owners love them or they would buy something else, pronto. Ride what makes you happy and works for you. If I were a LOT younger I would probably like to try out a newer Ducati, I hear they're meaner than ever.

BTW, the last Buells produced came with Rotax engines. Never rode one but heard they were absolute beasts. To date I have not much time working on V-Rods. Seems to be the HD redheaded stepchild.

In all reality even the newest TC motor is not night/day different than the first OHV Knuckle motors. Much stronger built but in no way bullet proof or I would be broke.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#30]
You cannot blame the Japanese for invading US markets starting in the later sixties. A cheaper more reliable product with a customer base just itching for it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#31]
.... With Harley's , you see, the dirtbag is on the outside.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Name/nickname of granddad Kolat ?  , if he was truly an original HA, his nick is in history some where, nice genes.

BTW: OP , nice shovel.
Terd Ferguson: "True Harda$$.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And we still don't care.

Enjoy your mechanized patio furniture.  We'll be out riding.  
View Quote

"Mechanized patio furniture"

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Because only Harley riders know how to build a bike...

" />" />" />" />
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#35]
A 70's Honda bike can be dug out of a barn, and with minimal work, be back on the road. I doubt a Harley would be that easy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Can find any era H-D parts much quicker than '70's jap parts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This exactly. The last rally I went to was Cherokee in '91. That's when it all started going downhill. That's when the doctors and lawyers started buying bikes. There's a chopper shop in Japan, they have stickers that say (in English) "Choppers not dead. It just sucks now.".

All these guys who put down harleys couldn't gap a set of points if their life depended on it. And they will never know the feeling that gives. The feeling you get pushing a button to electrically start your brand new motorbike you bought at a dealer is nothing compared to the feeling I get when I kick over a fifty year old motorbike that I brought back from the dead with my own two hands all by myself from the ground up. The haters that know their bike only on the outside with whatever accessories they bolted on or bragging at bike night about the latest race compound tires they bought and paid somebody else to put on isn't even in the same universe as a dude like me who knows my motorbike from the inside out with a special message in sharpie on the flywheels to some future dude who will eventually take it apart and do it all over again. My motorbike will live on for another hundred years either burning up the highway or tucked away in a barn or shed waiting for another guy like me who does it because it is a labor of love. All the crotch rockets, mototards, metric cuisers, and sport tourers will live on as a toaster oven or microwave once they are shredded and sent to china to have their steel recycled, because let's face it, they're obsolete every three years with new technology. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its pretty much impossible for most of arfcom to have any understanding of Harley Davidson, especially back in the days before the RUB's came along and changed it all.  Riding or owning a Harley was a lot more than just wearing Converse sneakers, long hair and racing around on some shit Jap bike like the ignorant fools most foreign bike riders were.  Of course it took a lot more to keep those older Harley's running too.  That was a pain in the ass and seems to get forgotten as years pass.

On arfcom most members can do super tuning of an iPad or smart phone (after all, most of teh arfcom are IT tech geeks), smoke dope like the Grateful Dead and dress like the faggot hipsters they are trying to be but cannot under any circumstances understand, let alone handle, a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

This exactly. The last rally I went to was Cherokee in '91. That's when it all started going downhill. That's when the doctors and lawyers started buying bikes. There's a chopper shop in Japan, they have stickers that say (in English) "Choppers not dead. It just sucks now.".

All these guys who put down harleys couldn't gap a set of points if their life depended on it. And they will never know the feeling that gives. The feeling you get pushing a button to electrically start your brand new motorbike you bought at a dealer is nothing compared to the feeling I get when I kick over a fifty year old motorbike that I brought back from the dead with my own two hands all by myself from the ground up. The haters that know their bike only on the outside with whatever accessories they bolted on or bragging at bike night about the latest race compound tires they bought and paid somebody else to put on isn't even in the same universe as a dude like me who knows my motorbike from the inside out with a special message in sharpie on the flywheels to some future dude who will eventually take it apart and do it all over again. My motorbike will live on for another hundred years either burning up the highway or tucked away in a barn or shed waiting for another guy like me who does it because it is a labor of love. All the crotch rockets, mototards, metric cuisers, and sport tourers will live on as a toaster oven or microwave once they are shredded and sent to china to have their steel recycled, because let's face it, they're obsolete every three years with new technology. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

I don't know you personally so my take on this may be way off.  But your entire post suggests to me that your exposure to the motorcycle race and travel culture is extremely limited.  There is a shit ton of assumption there as well that somehow your labor of love is more than the current crop of riders. I think you're not seeing the bigger picture.  Most of the motorcycle guys that I know who ride modern bikes put on their tires themselves, trade out motors, run their own brake lines, fix electrical gremlins etc.. and that's just the tip of the spear with the racetrack hounds.  The round the world guys do all of their own maintenance and very often have to fix shit in conditions and with tools that are not appropriate for the job and where parts are four weeks out.  I can count at least six guys that I know personally that have done the Alaska to Argentina ride (less than half of that total have ridden around the world) and they are not what you are identifying.

I think you need to step back and take a deep breath.  When you start stereotyping folks in the motorcycle community you are going to come up short.  I won't deny that there are some latte sippers and idiot squids that put on the gear and never get their hands dirty but buddy, they are in the minority.  Motorcyclists are a breed apart and always have been.  I haven't ever met a disinterested motorcyclist, most are excited about his/her bike in some form or fashion.

EDIT:  Sorry if I come off as cranky.  Nothing personal. I'd buy you a beer any day of the week.  Ride safe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And we still don't care.

View Quote

And that comes from a guy with a Buell as his avatar??  

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#39]
If you guys want to read about motorcyclists doing neat things around the world, check out http://www.advrider.com
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And we still don't care.

Ducati Diavel?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Name/nickname of granddad Kolat ?  , if he was truly an original HA, his nick is in history some where, nice genes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pm incoming

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't ride in the 70s, but I won a few 70s era bikes (all Jap) and I have been eyeballing a 77 panhead shovel that is for sale here for awhile

Edit my bad, I was thinking one thing, typing another, and not paying attention
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have been eyeballing a 77 panhead that is for sale here for awhile
View Quote

They didn't make Panheads in 77.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nostalgia is one thing, I like and have old tractors.  But who wants to use one day in and day out, when you can have a modern tractor that steers itself and does not require maintenance constantly?
Appreciate the past=cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

>

Appreciate the past=cool

My CL450 has points..... I am thinking of converting it to electronic ignition
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, you might have been faster on your Kawi900, but we still laughed at you at intersections and bars.
View Quote
Is that as far as you got?

Originally Posted By highrailjon] I still laugh at you today.
View Quote

Still stuck there?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#47]
My '75 CB550. My dad had it sitting in a garage for over 15 years before I inherited it. New battery, cleaned the carbs and fresh gas and she was back on the road. Lost the turn signals and rear fender/light to rust, but overall still in good shape.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Worst thread ever.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#49]
1975 Motobecane Grand  Record

Reynolds 531 double butted tubing,

all Campagnolo components, Brooks Pro

saddle.

18 1/2 pounds.

Whoa. The French knew how to build 'em.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I was hoping this was a Bianchi thread.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top