BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you miss the thread title?
This is a '70's era thread. Most of you wanna-be's were still shitting yellow back then. If you rode in the '70's then chime in.
View Quote

Dirt bike...but I was ridin!

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Seriously? I see small females "handle" full dressers, 1000cc sport bikes, 450mx bikes...the whole idea of some bikes taking a real tough man to ride them, is kind of a joke. Those bikes that some folks thought were really bad ass, fast and powerful back in the 70's are slower than most beginner bikes now.

I can tune FI on an iPad, or rejet a set of carbs...both are easy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its pretty much impossible for most of arfcom to have any understanding of Harley Davidson, especially back in the days before the RUB's came along and changed it all.  Riding or owning a Harley was a lot more than just wearing Converse sneakers, long hair and racing around on some shit Jap bike like the ignorant fools most foreign bike riders were.  Of course it took a lot more to keep those older Harley's running too.  That was a pain in the ass and seems to get forgotten as years pass.

On arfcom most members can do super tuning of an iPad or smart phone (after all, most of teh arfcom are IT tech geeks), smoke dope like the Grateful Dead and dress like the faggot hipsters they are trying to be but cannot under any circumstances understand, let alone handle, a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Seriously? I see small females "handle" full dressers, 1000cc sport bikes, 450mx bikes...the whole idea of some bikes taking a real tough man to ride them, is kind of a joke. Those bikes that some folks thought were really bad ass, fast and powerful back in the 70's are slower than most beginner bikes now.

I can tune FI on an iPad, or rejet a set of carbs...both are easy.

Here are some existing threads demonstrating why much of arfcom is too pussy to handle a Harley Davidson.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1610491_Is_the_Scion_FRS_gay_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/581883_Who_watches_Anime_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1608483_Let_s_hear_your_Engineering_school_hell_stories_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1610494_Why_is_Apple_such_a_Dick_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1608626_Help_me_find_some_decent_shirts.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its pretty much impossible for most of arfcom to have any understanding of Harley Davidson, especially back in the days before the RUB's came along and changed it all.  Riding or owning a Harley was a lot more than just wearing Converse sneakers, long hair and racing around on some shit Jap bike like the ignorant fools most foreign bike riders were.  Of course it took a lot more to keep those older Harley's running too.  That was a pain in the ass and seems to get forgotten as years pass.

On arfcom most members can do super tuning of an iPad or smart phone (after all, most of teh arfcom are IT tech geeks), smoke dope like the Grateful Dead and dress like the faggot hipsters they are trying to be but cannot under any circumstances understand, let alone handle, a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
View Quote

Dumbest. Shit. Of. The. Day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then there is this H-D with . 417,888 miles.
View Quote

How many sets of tires on his trailer?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Grateful Dead roadies ran over my Yamaha 350 twin with their truck full of equipment around 1973.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If the American auto industry had followed the American motorcycle industry,  90 percent of American made cars would look like late 50s Fords and Chevys.

I realize there's only so much you can do with a vehicle that consists of two wheels, one motor, one seat, one frame,  and the bare minimum of equipment necessary to make it a functional vehicle, but the lack of innovation in American motorcycle styling (compared to cars) is kind of alarming to me.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is this a FAG thread?
View Quote
yes

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This exactly. The last rally I went to was Cherokee in '91. That's when it all started going downhill. That's when the doctors and lawyers started buying bikes. There's a chopper shop in Japan, they have stickers that say (in English) "Choppers not dead. It just sucks now.".

All these guys who put down harleys couldn't gap a set of points if their life depended on it. And they will never know the feeling that gives. The feeling you get pushing a button to electrically start your brand new motorbike you bought at a dealer is nothing compared to the feeling I get when I kick over a fifty year old motorbike that I brought back from the dead with my own two hands all by myself from the ground up. The haters that know their bike only on the outside with whatever accessories they bolted on or bragging at bike night about the latest race compound tires they bought and paid somebody else to put on isn't even in the same universe as a dude like me who knows my motorbike from the inside out with a special message in sharpie on the flywheels to some future dude who will eventually take it apart and do it all over again. My motorbike will live on for another hundred years either burning up the highway or tucked away in a barn or shed waiting for another guy like me who does it because it is a labor of love. All the crotch rockets, mototards, metric cuisers, and sport tourers will live on as a toaster oven or microwave once they are shredded and sent to china to have their steel recycled, because let's face it, they're obsolete every three years with new technology. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

But whatever. Nostalgia is overrated. And Harleys are gay.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is a '70's era thread. Most of you wanna-be's were still shitting yellow back then. If you rode in the '70's then chime in.
View Quote

Okay...

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nobody laughed at my H2.

Nobody.

View Quote

They only laugh once.
I road my H2 round trip from NY to Miami. I had the only bike in our group that never failed.
We left a buddy in Yonkers with his Pan Head broken down yet again. he realized it would never make the trip
I still have that H2.
Laugh at it all you want. But it always starts and parts don't rattle off and when I grab the brakes it stops, something Harleys of the same vintage didn't do .
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They only laugh once.
I road my H2 round trip from NY to Miami. I had the only bike in our group that never failed.
We left a buddy in Yonkers with his Pan Head broken down yet again. he realized it would never make the trip
I still have that H2.
Laugh at it all you want. But it always starts and parts don't rattle off and when I grab the brakes it stops, something Harleys of the same vintage didn't do .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody laughed at my H2.

Nobody.

They only laugh once.
I still have that H2.

^5 bro.
Rode mine several times from Calgary to Vancouver..600 miles one way.
Long weekend ?
Fukken 'eh !
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Show me your '70's build scrounge-boy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm lost. You say the jap bikes are shit, then immediately say the harleys took more care to keep running.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Okay...

<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/h2-22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/h2-22.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay...

<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/h2-22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/h2-22.jpg</a>

I spent some of the best years of my life in the 70s when I owned a 1971 Honda 750K1 and later a 1975 Kawasaki Z-1B.  I would do almost anything to have those bikes again...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Mom 'n Dad  circa ~1949....
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm lost. You say the jap bikes are shit, then immediately say the harleys took more care to keep running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the part you can't understand. The labor of love. I feel sorry for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
this thread has gone full fucking bad motherfucking ass!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I myself wasn't even alive in the 70s, but I have owned and ridden one of them "foreign bikes" that was built in the late 70s:

1978 Suzuki GS550E. All fancy with disc brakes on front and rear.

Bought it for less than $500 as it had been sitting for several years and wasn't running. Compression checked out good, so I left the engine as it was and rebuilt just about everything else. The goal was to have a cheap beater bike, but the project ended up dragging on longer and costing more than originally thought. Still, it was fun to work on and fun to ride. Pushing it uphill about a mile and then another mile home after the coils suddenly died wasn't so fun, though. (They were the last items I was trying to skimp out on. )

Sold it a few years ago to offset the purchase of another, newer, bike. I'd like to get another of similar vintage one of these days, but probably a twin - I just like twins, and dealing with four carbs sucks.

ETA - Oh yeah, and that GS was a six speed with a gear position indicator. All that tech must have really been something back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's the part you can't understand. The labor of love.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all motorcycles require some labor of love. both HD and Asian bikes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Why are you so hung up on the 70's?
It was a shitty decade, people looked goofy, bikes looked goofy, clothing was retarded, cars were slow, everything was junk.
Were those your glory days?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had a labor of love in cars and guns for a long time. Claiming something you don't like is a piece of shit because it doesn't break as much is the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

It has nothing to do with a labor of love, it has to do with your own insecurity of knowing there is something better than what you have. I'm the one who feels sorry for you.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had no choice, they were pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is this a FAG thread?
View Quote

External validation thread. Do try to keep up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Wasn't one of the Village People a Harley enthusiast?

Oh yeah, this Harley guy:

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I kinda like all the bikes from that era.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have owned one HD- a 1992 Sportster 1200.... Never again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I kinda like all the bikes from that era.
View Quote

you either like one or the other.

otherwise, you are the enemy.

I like all bikes
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/Dagger41/media/scan0001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/scan0001.jpg</a>
View Quote

Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive owned a few Harleys, never a problem with them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't forget the govt tariffs on those foreign bikes that were putting the motor co out of business. HD has been propped up as much as GM.
View Quote

Only in delusion land is a tariff on foreign competition equivalent to a government buy-out of a company.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I do have admiration for those who keep old Ford Model T and As on the road.  But I don't think they are the best vehicle ever.  Just a stepping stone.

Yes, I know how to tear down a CV carb.  I know how to troubleshoot electronic ignition.  I know how to change TUBELESS tires.  Because I have done it.

Quit thinking old school is better, you sound like neo-luddites.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I'm not hung up on just the '70,s.

It was a period in my life that I watched the onslaught of foreign products. Cheap disposable shit. Nothing worth handing down from father to son. Think Harley's suck?
Check out what Japan thinks of them sometime.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only in delusion land is a tariff on foreign competition equivalent to a government buy-out of a company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget the govt tariffs on those foreign bikes that were putting the motor co out of business. HD has been propped up as much as GM.

They were saved from bankruptcy also.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ive owned a few Harleys, never a problem with them.
View Quote

My dad has a new Harley. I like it, but will never buy another.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It was a period in my life that I watched the onslaught of foreign products. Cheap disposable shit. Nothing worth handing down from father to son. Think Harley's suck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They like all things American, even shitty motorcycles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm just over here with my Triumph like lolololololzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]

I've bult many Harley choppers and rode them every day, ran or shine.  

Built this one in my bedroom.  I miss this bike.  

One of my last builds.  

Modified this one.  

I'm thinking of building another bike.  

My current ride during a 3,200+ mile ride.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This exactly. The last rally I went to was Cherokee in '91. That's when it all started going downhill. That's when the doctors and lawyers started buying bikes. There's a chopper shop in Japan, they have stickers that say (in English) "Choppers not dead. It just sucks now.".

All these guys who put down harleys couldn't gap a set of points if their life depended on it. And they will never know the feeling that gives. The feeling you get pushing a button to electrically start your brand new motorbike you bought at a dealer is nothing compared to the feeling I get when I kick over a fifty year old motorbike that I brought back from the dead with my own two hands all by myself from the ground up. The haters that know their bike only on the outside with whatever accessories they bolted on or bragging at bike night about the latest race compound tires they bought and paid somebody else to put on isn't even in the same universe as a dude like me who knows my motorbike from the inside out with a special message in sharpie on the flywheels to some future dude who will eventually take it apart and do it all over again. My motorbike will live on for another hundred years either burning up the highway or tucked away in a barn or shed waiting for another guy like me who does it because it is a labor of love. All the crotch rockets, mototards, metric cuisers, and sport tourers will live on as a toaster oven or microwave once they are shredded and sent to china to have their steel recycled, because let's face it, they're obsolete every three years with new technology. Unfeeling, nameless, faceless, heartless, soulless machines. Like robots. Old harley motorbikes have a heart and soul that you can only comprehend by having experienced it.

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/1313terdferguson1313/media/DSCF9445_zps057100c6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/1313terdferguson1313/DSCF9445_zps057100c6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/1313terdferguson1313/media/e_zps635d9e45.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/1313terdferguson1313/e_zps635d9e45.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/1313terdferguson1313/media/DSCF9445_zps057100c6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/1313terdferguson1313/DSCF9445_zps057100c6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s12.photobucket.com/user/1313terdferguson1313/media/e_zps635d9e45.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/1313terdferguson1313/e_zps635d9e45.jpg</a>

I used to tune my car with my timing light and tach/dwell meter. I found that the fun part about riding a motorcycle was riding it. This is hard to do when the bike is a pile of bits in the garage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously your parents are posers as they don't ride a harley

Nice ride ! 500 twin or a J2?

ETA looking at the distance between the exhaust ports, a J2 (500 Single with dual exhaust)
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the time the 1980s tariff took effect, H-D no longer needed it. It was all a shakedown in which Harley tried to leverage the threat of a tariff to secure loan guarantees from the Japanese government. This is all old news.

As for the money they got in 2008-2009, they didn't really need it. H-D were nowhere near bankruptcy, losing only about $55,000 in 2009, the worst year they had. Billion-plus-dollar companies that lose $55,000—about the salary of one of their average workers—are not on the brink of bankruptcy. Only the financial arm was anywhere near trouble. They took it because the money was made available to them. Hell, even McDonald's took money when the federal government offered it during that period. Did the government bail out McDonald's?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Robert M. Pirsig you're not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#47]
The quintessential 70s anti-Harley

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

By the time the 1980s tariff took effect, H-D no longer needed it. It was all a shakedown in which Harley tried to leverage the threat of a tariff to secure loan guarantees from the Japanese government. This is all old news.

As for the money they got in 2008-2009, they didn't really need it. H-D were nowhere near bankruptcy, losing only about $55,000 in 2009, the worst year they had. Billion-plus-dollar companies that lose $55,000—about the salary of one of their average workers—are not on the brink of bankruptcy. Only the financial arm was anywhere near trouble. They took it because the money was made available to them. Hell, even McDonald's took money when the federal government offered it during that period. Did the government bail out McDonald's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they lied to the govt to get an unfair advantage, and took govt money they didn't need? Sounds like trailer trash FSA to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I do have admiration for those who keep old Ford Model T and As on the road.  But I don't think they are the best vehicle ever.  Just a stepping stone.

Yes, I know how to tear down a CV carb.  I know how to troubleshoot electronic ignition.  I know how to change TUBELESS tires.  Because I have done it.

Quit thinking old school is better, you sound like neo-luddites.

View Quote

Old school is good, I love old school.

I also love high tech and cutting edge.

Given unlimited funds, I would have one of the more eclectic car and bike collections ever.

Ratty lookin, homebuilt Harley parked next to the latest and greatest import sport bike.
36hp VW bug parked next to a lowered impala on 100 spokes with a bass boat paint job, Mclaren P1 next to them.
Being all over the place is soo much more fun then being totally devoted to one type or era of vehicle and utterly loathing everything else.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've bult many Harley choppers and rode them every day, ran or shine.  

Built this one in my bedroom.  I miss this bike.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/Motorcycle%20photos/1973_Feb_3.jpg  

View Quote

That right there. THAT. That is what the haters can't understand. Somebody bought that bike new, maybe had some king of the road type stuff on it. Road it all around, on dirt roads and stuff. Then probably forgot about it or needed some cash. Then you got it and chopped it in your bedroom and road it everywhere. Then some other guy. Then some other guy. It's probably still rolling right now. The haters can say that a bike having soul and telling stories is bull shit, but they just don't know any better.

That pan is killer, by the way. Got any more pics of that? Or some other 60s-70s era bike pics?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top