Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Direzzas are the way to go. I have some starspecs on my 96 and they are amazing. on 14" wheels they are super square and even work very well in the rain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too much money, and wrong type of car.
View Quote

Hey man, you gotta pay if you're gonna run with the big dogs!

And there is NEVER anything wrong about RWD and a V8.  (or the 4.1 second 0-60 that goes with it).

If you're looking for a drop top with 2 doors, might I suggest a Camaro SS?  Retrofit it with the 1LE suspension kit, 3.91 rear gears, and short throw shifter.  It'll be almost as good as this:

(as an aside, I work with the guy driving the car in the video.  At one point he is going 160 MPH in the rain...  On summer tires...  I'm not too shabby on the road course, but damn...  His driving skills make me look like an amateur)

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

And there is NEVER anything wrong about RWD and a V8.  (or the 4.1 second 0-60 that goes with it).

View Quote

Their is plenty to be desired in such a vehicle in a snowstorm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you're looking for a drop top with 2 doors, might I suggest a Camaro SS?  Retrofit it with the 1LE suspension kit, 3.91 rear gears, and short throw shifter.  It'll be almost as good as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h75vA1Jw

(as an aside, I work with the guy driving the car in the video.  At one point he is going 160 MPH in the rain...  On summer tires...  I'm not too shabby on the road course, but damn...  His driving skills make me look like an amateur)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In my experience a lot of the "big dogs" are assholes, and don't want you to enjoy your own car.

I'm pretty sure this post is representative of that. Instead of saying "I'm glad you're happy, enjoy it!" you'd rather come in and tell someone that they did it wrong?

Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In my experience a lot of the "big dogs" are assholes, and don't want you to enjoy your own car.

I'm pretty sure this post is representative of that. Instead of saying "I'm glad you're happy, enjoy it!" you'd rather come in and tell someone that they did it wrong?

Ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of this thread is good-natured ribbing of Subnet and Bassgasm.  My initial comment about "get both" and follow up are just me giving Subnet a hard time.  You're taking this shit way too seriously.

Of course I want them to enjoy their cars.

Besides, given the history who in their right mind posts a Miata thread on this site and doesn't expect it to turn into a cluster fuck?  It's like going into a prison wearing a shirt that says "rape me".  

Matt

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Fair enough.

I may be a tad touchy from a decade of it. Apologies.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My NGK plugs and wires came in today, and I got them swapped out pretty quick. That's gotta be the easiest plug and wire change I've ever done.

Here's the old plugs:

I've been a bit concerned about the prospect of the engine burning oil, but those don't look bad, at least in my novice opinion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't know how I missed this until now, but CONGRATS and piss on the usual insecure haters/'phobes.  

I took delivery of my brand new NA in March of '91 -- 23 years and change with no major issues and zero regrets, short of a major collision they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I predict you will really enjoy it, as it sounds you have already discovered.

View Quote

I have this somewhat unfortunate feeling that this car is going to be as effective as separating me from my money as pre-lock S&W revolvers...

I'm feeling a little bit of burn from the fact that it seems like I'm facing every major maintenance item up front. Oil and plugs is one thing, but brake pads and rotors and a clutch job too? I suckered myself.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have this somewhat unfortunate feeling that this car is going to be as effective as separating me from my money as pre-lock S&W revolvers...

I'm feeling a little bit of burn from the fact that it seems like I'm facing every major maintenance item up front. Oil and plugs is one thing, but brake pads and rotors and a clutch job too? I suckered myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know how I missed this until now, but CONGRATS and piss on the usual insecure haters/'phobes.  

I took delivery of my brand new NA in March of '91 -- 23 years and change with no major issues and zero regrets, short of a major collision they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

It's just like a Jeep.. every part has at least three or more aftermarket reproductions and the companies all compete aggressively for your dollar.

You should drive down to Miatas at the Gap (Deal's Gap) in July (25-27), it's a blast.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's just like a Jeep.. every part has at least three or more aftermarket reproductions and they all compete aggressively for your dollar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just like a Jeep.. every part has at least three or more aftermarket reproductions and they all compete aggressively for your dollar.

Is that your way of saying I need to stock up on batteries for my OBD code reader?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is that your way of saying I need to stock up on batteries for my OBD code reader?
View Quote

Hahaha, nope.  Only that you're going to blow a lot of money making the car just how you want it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My NGK plugs and wires came in today, and I got them swapped out pretty quick. That's gotta be the easiest plug and wire change I've ever done.

Here's the old plugs:
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Miata/Miataplugsold_zps76a45db6.jpg

I've been a bit concerned about the prospect of the engine burning oil, but those don't look bad, at least in my novice opinion.
View Quote

Consuming oil and burning oil are two different things.

I don't see any indication of oil burning on those plugs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to the brotherhood, my man. You're one of the enlightened few.

The answer is ALWAYS Miata. And when it's not, the answer is wagon.
View Quote

If I didn't have my Anniversary Edition RX7 TurboII, I would have a Miata.

They are a blast to drive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweet ride. I am in the market as well. I supercharged an NA for a friend years ago. What a blast. I fit better in the NB though I always felt a bit too tall for the NA.  I really want an s2000 though.  
View Quote

Is the S2000 FWD?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There were turbo'd Mazdaspeed versions available for a few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did Mazda ever sell these with boost, or are all stock ones na?

I believe they are all NA.  Not to be confused with the way they name them NA NB NC for 1st 2nd and 3rd gen.  When we put the super charger on my buddies it really made it insane to drive and it was only like 150 if that hp. You could break the rear wheels loose whenever.

There is all sorts of aftermarket support for adding turbos.

There were turbo'd Mazdaspeed versions available for a few years.

M Edition.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is the S2000 FWD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet ride. I am in the market as well. I supercharged an NA for a friend years ago. What a blast. I fit better in the NB though I always felt a bit too tall for the NA.  I really want an s2000 though.  

Is the S2000 FWD?
Nope, RWD.. it was supposed to be the Miata killer, but it just turned out to be too expensive.

I'm still wishing that Mazda would have bagged the rotary and put a lightly turbo'ed 2.0L NC motor in the RX-8, I think that would have been just about the perfect budget sports car without the weird maintenance requirements.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the old plugs:
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Miata/Miataplugsold_zps76a45db6.jpg

Help me out here. Would you consider oil leaked externally as consumed, or are you suggesting something else?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To me, it kind of ruins the character of the car. At some point, I have to think you're better off starting with a different car. It's like watching guys run Civics deep into the 9's in the quarter. Neato (I guess), but...really?

A twin screw huffer is really all that's needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
To me, it kind of ruins the character of the car. At some point, I have to think you're better off starting with a different car. It's like watching guys run Civics deep into the 9's in the quarter. Neato (I guess), but...really?

All that weight fucks up about everything about the car, not to mention the Obama Motors karma rubbing off on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I delt with people like you all the time when I had my swapped rx7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I delt with people like you all the time when I had my swapped rx7

Even more disgusting that the one above.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope, RWD.. it was supposed to be the Miata killer, but it just turned out to be too expensive.

I'm still wishing that Mazda would have bagged the rotary and put a lightly turbo'ed 2.0L NC motor in the RX-8, I think that would have been just about the perfect budget sports car without the weird maintenance requirements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the S2000 FWD?

Shit, I love the rotary.  Have been driving them since about '75.  I have an '88 Anniversary Edition TurboII with about 230k or so and it still runs great.

I wish they would make the rotary an option in the MX5.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Help me out here. Would you consider oil leaked externally as consumed, or are you suggesting something else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the old plugs:

Yeah, I think he means an external leak, probably the valve cover and/or front and rear seals.  Your motor is not burning any oil to speak of, plugs are way too clean.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Shit, I love the rotary.  Have been driving them since about '75.  I have an '88 Anniversary Edition TurboII with about 230k or so and it still runs great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the S2000 FWD?

Don't get me wrong, I loved my RX-7, but it spent just as much time up on jackstands as it did on the road.  It was a labor of love, but I'm just too old for the labor anymore.  I ALMOST bought and RX-8 instead of my NC, but questionable service history is NOT something I want to walk into with a rotary engine.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I loved my RX-7, but it spent just as much time up on jackstands as it did on the road.  It was a labor of love, but I'm just too old for the labor anymore.  I ALMOST bought and RX-8 instead of my NC, but questionable service history is NOT something I want to walk into with a rotary engine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the S2000 FWD?

Meh, none I have ever owned required more than regular oil changes.

What required it being up on the jack stands a lot?

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7
Aforementioned RX7 Turbo.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Miata
Is

Always

The

Answer

Recursion FTW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MiataIs
Always
The
Answer

Recursion FTW.
View Quote

Jalop COTD. I caught that too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MiataIs

Always

The

Answer

Recursion FTW.

Fucking genius, is what it is.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MiataIs
Always
The
Answer

Recursion FTW.

Either way, I'll never un-see it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent most of the day today working on the car.

I changed the oil. This was really needed because the stuff in the car was seriously dark. I may short-cycle this oil change interval just to better clean it out.

I changed the fuel filter. That was a bit more inconvenient than I'd expected it to be.

I changed the brake pads and rotors all the way around. Aside from the occasional squeak and a visible groove in one rotor, I didn't see too much of a problem. Then I found this:

That's normal, right?

I've made some progress with the hand brake, too. It now holds the car on a sloped surface (it didn't before), and I can use it to gradually slow down. It's not tight enough to lock up the rear wheels for hooning shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

View Quote

Holy crap. Got a thing for Mazdas, eh?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe

74 RX4 Wagon

73 RX3 Coupe

77 RX3SP

76 Cosmo

77 Cosmo

79 RX7

You must be new here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep, and he's a big fan of AR-10 rifles... the Armalite version, not the DPMS AR-10s or other makers' AR-10s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

Yep, and he's a big fan of AR-10 rifles... the Armalite version, not the DPMS AR-10s or other makers' AR-10s.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I knew there was a "Harley wave" and a "Jeep wave." I didn't know about this...

Jalopnik commenter-
When you drive past another NA, do you pop up the headlights?
View Quote

Bob Hall (Father of the Miata)-
No, I don't to be honest. I guess that some of the NA buyers aren't aware of that old greeting as younger buyers get in. It's funny about the pop-up headlights, I was the only one against the pop-ups. Lighter weight, less complexity, but the public loved them. It was about making it the car that was right for the market. There was a lot I was protective of, but there was stuff I wanted, like round tail lights and the license plate in the bumper. It's personal preferences. Aesthetics are subjective. - BH
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I generally wave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

Why worry about things that don't exist?

Trouble maker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

I love the rotary engine.

I have also had 4 626s (2 FWD and 2 RWD)
A 1988 929 with a manual 5 speed. ( still have it to go with my 88 Anniversary Edition)

Every one of the aforementioned Mazdas have/had manual transmissions.

They have always made very good stuff, just suck at marketing it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A 1988 929 with a manual 5 speed. ( still have it to go with my 88 Anniversary Edition)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

Just read that Mazda had its best year (Japanese fiscal 2014 ended on Mar 31) in the 94 year history of the company.

Global operating profits were up 238 percent (but North America was only up a small 5 percent).

Hopefully this bodes well for them and future products.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just read that Mazda had its best year (Japanese fiscal 2014 ended on Mar 31) in the 94 year history of the company.

Global operating profits were up 238 percent (but North America was only up a small 5 percent).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

74 RX4 Coupe
74 RX4 Wagon
73 RX3 Coupe
77 RX3SP
76 Cosmo
77 Cosmo
79 RX7

I hope so.  As an instance of their crappy marketing, I will give this example.

The 1976 and 1977 Cosmos were way ahead of their times.

They had the 13B with big ports.

They had velor seats, which at the time was a big deal

Real wooden steering wheel.

Wooden brake handle.

Wood inlay in the dash.

Standard 4 wheel disc brakes.

I never saw one televised commercial for that car or print for that matter.

Lot of people though it was a Jag from the front.

Dash.  That wood is real as is the steering wheel and the {ugh} auto tranny selector.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I just spent 2 hours and 45 minutes driving nowhere in particular. The weather was gorgeous this evening. I really like this car.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just spent 2 hours and 45 minutes driving nowhere in particular. The weather was gorgeous this evening. I really like this car.
View Quote

I did the same in my mini today.  I put in a mod that remapped the throttle and shift points and every time I blip the skinny pedal the supercharger sings.  God, quick little cars are fun if they handle well.  

My only worry is it keeps encouraging me to do fun stuff, where fun really means citation points and fine worthy.    Careful with that little beastie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#42]
From Roebling Road last weekend at an SCCA Regional weekend.

I bet there was 100 Miatas being raced in about 5 different classes:
SM (Spec Miata)
E Prod
SPO
STU
ITA
ITS

Probably some other classes too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I got a few estimates on a clutch job today.

One guy told me that it'd be $440 labor + $65 to turn the flywheel + 10% if I wanted to supply my own parts. He normally uses O'Reilly.

Another told me that it'd be $600 labor, and after everything else, I'd be in the $1100 range.

The stealership gave me an estimate in the $1200 range.

I think I might keep driving it with the noisy pilot bearing for a little while. I don't know if I've got what it takes to pull the transmission on this thing myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't be a pussy, do your own clutch.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#45]
1,000 miles driven in it as of today. Pretty good considering I haven't used it for any commuting and it sat in the garage for some unseasonably cold and wet weather.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't be a pussy, do your own clutch.
View Quote

I think that's beyond by means, both in tools and in expertise. I'm relatively novice, but I'm okay up top and I can do some stuff under the car. Pulling the transmission is a point at which I think I'm out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked it up from the mechanic today. It no longer sounds like a dryer full of angry cats every time I put the clutch in.

Labor with getting the flywheel machined was $550.

The clutch feels a bit different, but I put some miles on it tonight, and all was good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Been driving my old '91 (desperately in need of paint and some other cosmetic touches after 23 years of faithful service) around more than usual the past couple of weeks, beautiful top-down weather lately, still a blast on country back roads after all these years.

View Quote

As soon as my son and I finish cleaning out/fixing up the garage, she's getting a makeover and will take up permanent residence there (we also have a double carport where we park two of our daily drivers).

Having meet you in real life... I want to see how you get in the car and drive it, with the top up.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top