Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Purty!  

Why'd ya let her go?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Got married, bought a house, sold off all the extra stuff, including the boat and the miata.  Had to pay for IVF out of pocket, and we are focusing on paying off the house in preparation for having kids with less financial stresses.  I plan to pick up the toys again to enjoy with the kiddos.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Come at me bro!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/dalereed/0d71beb7-27d1-44c6-aaba-49f297942726_zpsd9586521.jpg

This is my summer fun car. Not a drag car but fun on the twisties
View Quote

Nothing wrong with an E36...

...except parts cost are out of this world.  If the ABS control unit goes out you can spend half the value of the car fixing it, and the electronics are possessed by Bazoozoo, and horribly buggy.  But other then it's low value, high parts and maintenance cost, its a great car.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Then I won't have abs
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The 6ULs are incredibly light and very reasonably priced. There's a reason a lot of Miatas wear them.

Another option is the ol' standby Enkei RPF1, but everyone has RPF1s. You might look at the RPF1 Type IIs but you'd probably have to import them (JDM sales only IIRC) and they're a smidge heavier than the straight RPF1s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice!

However, I have three characters for you, and they are 6, U, and L.

Those look decent. To be honest, I don't know that I'm going to be too picky about the type of wheel I go with because I'm not the sort of dude that will carefully polish them and show them off.

All I want is something relatively light, and relatively affordable. A matte silver or grey alloy will do just fine.

I guess I need to decide whether or not I'm going to stick with the OEM size...

The 6ULs are incredibly light and very reasonably priced. There's a reason a lot of Miatas wear them.

Another option is the ol' standby Enkei RPF1, but everyone has RPF1s. You might look at the RPF1 Type IIs but you'd probably have to import them (JDM sales only IIRC) and they're a smidge heavier than the straight RPF1s.

I think I may need an education on sizing. The car is currently sitting on 185/65 R14s, and the data plate inside the door says 185/60 R14.

It looks like most of the options I'm seeing for the Miata are 15s. Other than appearance, is there an advantage to the larger wheel size? How much does variation effect things like the speedometer and gearing?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thread.  Needs.  MOAR!  Pictures!!!!!111!!!!!!!!

/me is a former 240sx owner so I can appreciate the fun you can have with a less-powerful, but more-nimble vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My greatest regret so far in car ownership is the fact that I let go of my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata.  It was a flawed vehicle from the factory but it was a beautiful car.  In retrospect I wish that I had held onto it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
is there an alternative car with headroom of more than miata has?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you taller than the sky?

In all seriousness, I'm about 5'11-6', and I fit with the top up no problem.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6'5" and would need it to work with the top up ---you know, when it rains.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Set up payroll deduction to BEGI.com
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Good resource for you.
http://www.miata.net/garage/

I just advanced my ignition timing and it does make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good resource for you.
http://www.miata.net/garage/

I just advanced my ignition timing and it does make a difference.
View Quote

I did the same on my NA and the difference was pretty significant. I ended up going back to stock timing right before my next inspection and left it that way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pull some padding from the seat and people who are 6'7" can fit comfortably.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]

It is the best

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My greatest regret so far in car ownership is the fact that I let go of my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata.  It was a flawed vehicle from the factory but it was a beautiful car.  In retrospect I wish that I had held onto it.
View Quote

What was wrong with it?

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the result of the gold removal so far...

The door handles:

Before and After-

The plates on the rear deck:

(Note the antenna in the after pic...)

Before and After-

I don't know if the badges are actually metal, so polished them gently by hand. The result wasn't as good.

Before and After-

That leaves the wheels as the cosmetic elephant in the room.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What was wrong with it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was wrong with it?

Mazda (due to listening to the legal dept, we guess).. decided to nerf the Mazdaspeed.  They put in a tiny intercooler & turbo.  They also made an inferior throttle body/pipe, smaller injectors, and a crappy midpipe/exhaust.

It was prone to heat soaking and wasn't very fast.   Fortunately a number of companies stepped up a year or so after the fact and fix the issues.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know this is a support group to help separate you from your money, right? Go find another, drop the top, and let the clutch out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know this is a support group to help separate you from your money, right? Go find another, drop the top, and let the clutch out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I'm tempted believe me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think I may need an education on sizing. The car is currently sitting on 185/65 R14s, and the data plate inside the door says 185/60 R14.

It looks like most of the options I'm seeing for the Miata are 15s. Other than appearance, is there an advantage to the larger wheel size? How much does variation effect things like the speedometer and gearing?
View Quote

That means you're running stock width and size, but your current tires are taller (larger sidewall) than the stock. That's already messing with your speedometer.

Going up to 15" is probably mostly cosmetic, but will give you a lot more wheel choices; just be careful that you don't add too much weight. This is where lightweight wheels help.

Running wider wheels and tires will give you more grip, but will also make the car a little less fun to drive (harder to get the tail to break loose).
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I sold my 91 NA with 318,000 miles on it. Original motor that was refreshed at 250k.

Was going to go BT with it but just never bolted everything on.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money isn't worth anything if you don't spend it...

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I sold my 91 NA with 318,000 miles on it. Original motor that was refreshed at 250k.

View Quote

The high mileage examples make me happy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Money isn't worth anything if you don't spend it...

View Quote

I like the way you think!!

I need to make it through to my new career before I get too crazy.  As soon as that is settled I'm going to go for a nice new car.  I may go for the new GTI as a daily driver and pick up a used Mazdaspeed as a holiday toy, or go the Porsche route and play on the track.  

I'm horribly addicted to motorcycles, cars and the communities that surround both.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll run forever if you do maintenance on time and make sure she is well cleaned and oiled.  A clean Miata is a happy Miata.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:00:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn. Membership expired. Here is one kicking around town here. The front has a missing nose piece and a welded tube push bar on front:

Here's mine. I'd drive it if it were hot pink.  Incredible how much fun they are to drive.  Like a scalpel  in traffic.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#28]
If you don't like the color or the paint... get some Plasti Dip and dip your car!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It'll run forever if you do maintenance on time and make sure she is well cleaned and oiled.  A clean Miata is a happy Miata.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the feeling that the girl I bought it from maintained it particularly well. The oil is dark, and I don't know if the tires have ever been rotated.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Damn. Membership expired. Here is one kicking around town here. The front has a missing nose piece and a welded tube push bar on front:

<a href="http://s134.photobucket.com/user/junker46/media/FM1_zpsfcf657a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q94/junker46/FM1_zpsfcf657a6.jpg</a>

Here's mine. I'd drive it if it were hot pink.  Incredible how much fun they are to drive.  Like a scalpel  in traffic.

<a href="http://s134.photobucket.com/user/junker46/media/RD1_zps68f42be3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q94/junker46/RD1_zps68f42be3.jpg</a>
View Quote

That camo  amuses me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]

That's not the usual reaction.  Usually it's "let's go for a ride!" and then later you get to ride her.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd love a Miata. But the convertible thing would be lost on me. Never ever once have I enjoyed driving around with the top down. I just don't get it. Don't care about a sunroof either. I gotta be... off.

I'd gut the soft top out of it and the hard top would be attached permanently.
View Quote

Same.

Not a huge "wind in the hair" fan.

That and I am too ugly for convertibles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sweet ride. I am in the market as well. I supercharged an NA for a friend years ago. What a blast. I fit better in the NB though I always felt a bit too tall for the NA.  I really want an s2000 though.  
View Quote

Okay, now I'm confused.  When it comes to cars, I've always thought NA meant naturally aspirated.  What the heck is NB? Natural breasts?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Okay, now I'm confused.  When it comes to cars, I've always thought NA meant naturally aspirated.  What the heck is NB? Natural breasts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet ride. I am in the market as well. I supercharged an NA for a friend years ago. What a blast. I fit better in the NB though I always felt a bit too tall for the NA.  I really want an s2000 though.  

Generations.

NA (1st) 1990-98
NB (2nd) 99-05
NC (3rd) 06-present
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Generations.

NA (1st) 1990-98
NB (2nd) 99-05
NC (3rd) 06-present
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generations.

NA (1st) 1990-98
NB (2nd) 99-05
NC (3rd) 06-present

Ah.  I figured it was something like that, but then I couldn't make a lame joke.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
how can a car be fun to drive when the engine is not much bigger than one in a gocart?
View Quote

Perhaps the OP doesn't have a small dick....
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#38]

For you young guys.  

Rule #4:  Avoid girls that go out with you because of the kind of car you drive.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That's not the usual reaction.  Usually it's "let's go for a ride!" and then later you get to ride her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As a general rule, cars that guys think are cool are seldom the same cars chicks think are cool. Roll up in an NSX, or an Evo, or a GT-R...and you'll quickly learn just how much of a bro-magnet your ride is.

RoadKill did an episode on it, once. The chicks loved the Rat Rod, and the dudes swarmed the Gallardo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#40]
You know there was a study of 1000 gay men to see if there was any common factor in their lives that may have contributed to their gayness...

a vast majority of them drove Miatas.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I really have been considering a salvaged miata to build as a track car.  One smushed panel seems to total them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You know there was a study of 1000 gay men to see if there was any common factor in their lives that may have contributed to their gayness...

View Quote

Only on the weekends. During the rest of the work week they dip Copenhagen while driving around in lifted diesel trucks hauling goose-neck trailers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I really have been considering a salvaged miata to build as a track car.  One smushed panel seems to total them.
View Quote

You might as well get a sorted out one with a clear title.  You can get a mechanically perfect NA for ~$2k.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As a general rule, cars that guys think are cool are seldom the same cars chicks think are cool. Roll up in an NSX, or an Evo, or a GT-R...and you'll quickly learn just how much of a bro-magnet your ride is.    

RoadKill did an episode on it, once. The chicks loved the Rat Rod, and the dudes swarmed the Gallardo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth! as usual you speak it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As a general rule, cars that guys think are cool are seldom the same cars chicks think are cool.
View Quote

Isn't that the theory behind Top Gear's Cool Wall?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It must really suck to be you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't get the feeling that the girl I bought it from maintained it particularly well. The oil is dark, and I don't know if the tires have ever been rotated.
View Quote

It might be worth it to you to take it into the dealer (email your local miata club president for info on the best one, if you'll IM me your city I can find you your closest chapter) and get an inspection.  If there are any issues you'll want to nip them in the bud.  Even if its something major, don't freak.. miatas are cheap to repair.  Just as an example: A friend had a blown motor.  The dealer quoted him something like 4k to replace.  He went out to a you pull it shop and bought the top and bottom end on a newer motor for 1500.00 and he got a few club members to help put it in.   At the most he spent 1800.00 for motor, fluids, and beer/pizza for the group that helped.

FWIW, you might consider joining the local miata chapter.  I'm a member of a local chapter and we get 15% off on all repairs and parts.  Of course, it's cheaper to do it by yourself but for parts its easily worth the membership even if you don't count the discounted track days and friends you'll make.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For you young guys.  

Rule #4:  Avoid girls that go out with you because of the kind of car you drive.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For you young guys.  

This.^^  I have 4 cars. I drive and love all cars. I loved having a beater 1991 VW golf. A girl once made fun of me for driving it. Granted, she was good looking, I took the criticism all in good fun and she blew me off. She noted that if I drove something "expensive and sporty like that Audi TT" I parked next too I would have have a chance.

Luckily I did own that nice silver TT in my apt complex. I unlocked it, waved and told her to fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.^^  I have 4 cars. I drive and love all cars. I loved having a beater 1991 VW golf. A girl once made fun of me for driving it. Granted, she was good looking, I took the criticism all in good fun and she blew me off. She noted that if I drove something "expensive and sporty like that Audi TT" I parked next too I would have have a chance.

Luckily I did own that nice silver TT in my apt complex. I unlocked it, waved and told her to fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For you young guys.  

That's classic, I love it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
So gay guys like reliable, inexpensive, fun cars with really great handling?

And heterosexual guys...don't, I guess? Not sure what your point is.

Oh, I get it! If you own a Miata, you crave teh cawk! I remember 7th grade, too.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top