BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To each their own. There is a removable hard top you could buy.

Just sayin'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love a Miata. But the convertible thing would be lost on me. Never ever once have I enjoyed driving around with the top down. I just don't get it. Don't care about a sunroof either. I gotta be... off.

I'd gut the soft top out of it and the hard top would be attached permanently.

Just sayin'.

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the hardtop option. I've driven one, loved it. And certainly not knocking the car at all. Just never appreciated the open air thing. I like having metal over my head.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the hardtop option. I've driven one, loved it. And certainly not knocking the car at all. Just never appreciated the open air thing. I like having metal over my head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love a Miata. But the convertible thing would be lost on me. Never ever once have I enjoyed driving around with the top down. I just don't get it. Don't care about a sunroof either. I gotta be... off.

I'd gut the soft top out of it and the hard top would be attached permanently.

Just sayin'.

Just trying to convert you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Welcome to the brotherhood, my man. You're one of the enlightened few.

The answer is ALWAYS Miata. And when it's not, the answer is wagon.
View Quote

I have an Elise and a V70R. Is that close enough to count?

Also congrats on the purchase. They're a blast.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add lightness!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
meh, it's a theme.  All of those parts can be replaced bit by bit.  I like miatas and have worked on them a little. Lots of fun!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, but those wheels have got to go.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but they're not high on the list.

Another problem is all the badging, the handles, the bolts behind the top, and what's left of the antenna are all gold plated.

I'd like to think I can polish off the plating, but I don't know.
meh, it's a theme.  All of those parts can be replaced bit by bit.  I like miatas and have worked on them a little. Lots of fun!  

You know it's an iffy theme when it draws more criticism than the car itself..
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Add lightness!
View Quote

To your loafers
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To your loafers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add lightness!

To your loafers

It must be horrible to be so insecure in your sexuality. Living life afraid that you'll taste dick and like it.

For the rest of us, we will have fun driving Miatas.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It must be horrible to be so insecure in your sexuality. Living life afraid that you'll taste dick and like it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add lightness!

To your loafers

Bitch please, take a look at my avatar
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I like mine. Its got HK, NRA and IWI stickers on it. Also all the guys in my company talked shit about it when I was in. But the ones who rode in it or drove it afterwards were like dam it's nice.". Plus I found out long ago chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really see the point of getting excited about owning a 2100 lb. go-cart with 130hp.

I completely "get" the autocross aspect, but just to drive around town in stock configuration? No thanks....add about 150 extra HP and then we're talking fun.

But now if you take that 2100lb car, and drop it into an actual go-cart frame and reduce the curb weight to 1400lb....now we are REALLY talking about fun! And I have to thank arfcom GD for giving me the inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't really see the point of getting excited about owning a 2100 lb. go-cart with 130hp.

I completely "get" the autocross aspect, but just to drive around town in stock configuration? No thanks....add about 150 extra HP and then we're talking fun.

But now if you take that 2100lb car, and drop it into an actual go-cart frame and reduce the curb weight to 1400lb....now we are REALLY talking about fun! And I have to thank arfcom GD for giving me the inspiration.
View Quote

It's fun even driving around town.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Love it!

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]

I caught the Jalopnik reference as well!

Quoted:

Are you a Jalopnik commentator?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a Jalopnik commentator?

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

To me, it kind of ruins the character of the car. At some point, I have to think you're better off starting with a different car. It's like watching guys run Civics deep into the 9's in the quarter. Neato (I guess), but...really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

To me, it kind of ruins the character of the car. At some point, I have to think you're better off starting with a different car. It's like watching guys run Civics deep into the 9's in the quarter. Neato (I guess), but...really?

A twin screw huffer is really all that's needed.
nope.  LS1 shouldve been the oem engine

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Now just how the shit am I supposed to carry a drink in this thing? I stopped by McD's for a takeout cholesterol bomb, and even with the drink in the back "cup holder" I still had to use creative angles to operate the shifter.

I know this car is for driving and all that, but I'm an American, dammit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now just how the shit am I supposed to carry a drink in this thing? I stopped by McD's for a takeout cholesterol bomb, and even with the drink in the back "cup holder" I still had to use creative angles to operate the shifter.

View Quote

Car operator posing as a driver.

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=78103
Thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I know that Miatas have great handling characteristics....but I believe that you and I share vastly differing opinions on "fun"

Zero to sixty in 12 seconds? *cringe*
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Race that bitch....My Spec Miata from the day, first race at Lime Rock Park and I won!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-66wk2Cm/0/L/i-66wk2Cm-L.jpg

View Quote

That car looks sooo happy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I know that Miatas have great handling characteristics....but I believe that you and I share vastly differing opinions on "fun"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If straight line acceleration is your idea of fun, you're missing out. If you think using your mind to determine which to use your poor torque, your good brakes or your superior handling to keep that soccer om in her Ford Excusion from crushing you in the matter of a fraction of a second is fun, the the Miata is for you.

The small size and the relatively poor acceleration from a standing start requires brains.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Add lightness!

To your loafers

Do folks buy Miatas because they like the way dick tastes? Or is that something that develops in the palate after buying one.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do folks buy Miatas because they like the way dick tastes? Or is that something that develops in the palate after buying one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add lightness!

To your loafers

Neither. The only people obsessed with homosexual relations seem to be the ones not driving Miatas.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank me later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

You say that, but I might have to just own up to it. If nothing else, I've got to say that I'm worse at driving a manual than I'd led myself to believe. I hope to have that ironed out in the next couple weekends.

I've got what I assume to be a failing pilot bearing, so I feel somewhat absolved of guilt if I'm a bit too hard on the clutch.

That center console looks awesome, but I don't know if I see myself forking out $300 for it. It'll be a while if I do. This car has a lot of needs and other wants I need to address.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You say that, but I might have to just own up to it. If nothing else, I've got to say that I'm worse at driving a manual than I'd led myself to believe. I hope to have that ironed out in the next couple weekends.

I've got what I assume to be a failing pilot bearing, so I feel somewhat absolved of guilt if I'm a bit too hard on the clutch.

That center console looks awesome, but I don't know if I see myself forking out $300 for it. It'll be a while if I do. This car has a lot of needs and other wants I need to address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

Practice practice practice. I'm not as good as I want to be either. The center console is vey good. I don't regret the buy one bit. If you buy it, do the shifter maintenance at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If straight line acceleration is your idea of fun, you're missing out. If you think using your mind to determine which to use your poor torque, your good brakes or your superior handling to keep that soccer om in her Ford Excusion from crushing you in the matter of a fraction of a second is fun, the the Miata is for you.

The small size and the relatively poor acceleration from a standing start requires brains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it would be fun as hell on a back country winding road.....but definitely a no-go on any regular city or highway driving. As much as folks here in GD claim that the Miata to be the holy grail of sports cars....it is enormously disadvantaged in the power department.

To me, it is the equivalent of a group of muscle car nuts claiming that a 500HP live-axle Shelby GT500 being the end all performance vehicle. Not exactly a complete package of any sort.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think it would be fun as hell on a back country winding road.....but definitely a no-go on any regular city or highway driving. As much as folks here in GD claim that the Miata to be the holy grail of sports cars....it is enormously disadvantaged in the power department.

To me, it is the equivalent of a group of muscle car nuts claiming that a 500HP live-axle Shelby GT500 being the end all performance vehicle. Not exactly a complete package of any sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one is saying it is perfect, just fun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really depends on the type (NA/NB/NC)

(NA) 1990 Mazda Miata   0-60 mph 9.0   Quarter mile 16.5
(NB) 1999 Mazda Miata   0-60 mph 7.8   Quarter mile 15.7
(NC) 2006 Mazda Miata   0-60 mph 6.6   Quarter mile 15.0
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Not real common, no.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did Mazda ever sell these with boost, or are all stock ones na?

I believe they are all NA.  Not to be confused with the way they name them NA NB NC for 1st 2nd and 3rd gen.  When we put the super charger on my buddies it really made it insane to drive and it was only like 150 if that hp. You could break the rear wheels loose whenever.

There is all sorts of aftermarket support for adding turbos.

There were turbo'd Mazdaspeed versions available for a few years.

ah cool. not all that common though right?

Not real common, no.    

The motors are actually over-engineered to a certain degree. They take boost well. Until you get stupid crazy with it, about all that's really required is a stronger clutch.
The Mazdaspeed model had a pretty limp-dick turbo, only about 165HP at the wheels.  The jump to the NC in 2006 was rather impressive, you now get a naturally aspirated 2.0 liter with 170HP.  I test drove a 2004 Mazdaspeed almost back to back with mine and I wasn't terribly impressed.

I have a 2006 model with the 6spd Auto trans and love that little bastard.  Easily to 60 in under 7 seconds, and its not terribly difficult to break the rear tires loose and have some fun.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice!

However, I have three characters for you, and they are 6, U, and L.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The un-golding has begun...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank me later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

Nope....

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-91125-Black-Holder/dp/B000WEPI4M/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1396669425&sr=1-3&keywords=cup+holder

Thank ME later. I used one of these for about 6 years and never spilled a drink... it's perfect for the Miata (unless you have a passenger).
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope....

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-91125-Black-Holder/dp/B000WEPI4M/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1396669425&sr=1-3&keywords=cup+holder

Thank ME later. I used one of these for about 6 years and never spilled a drink... it's perfect for the Miata (unless you have a passenger).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

Nope....

the aftermarket center console is far superior to the original.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later.

Nope....

1. $290 vs $8

2. Your link isn't clickable

I win

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Very nice!

View Quote

Those look decent. To be honest, I don't know that I'm going to be too picky about the type of wheel I go with because I'm not the sort of dude that will carefully polish them and show them off.

All I want is something relatively light, and relatively affordable. A matte silver or grey alloy will do just fine.

I guess I need to decide whether or not I'm going to stick with the OEM size...
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have no idea how insanely jealous I am of your Elise.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
My NB has a cup holder in the console, but it makes shifting a pain in the ass. You have to contort your arm around the beverage.

You get used to it. Or, you stick to drinking things out of bottles with screw top lids, and just keep it on the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Those look decent. To be honest, I don't know that I'm going to be too picky about the type of wheel I go with because I'm not the sort of dude that will carefully polish them and show them off.

All I want is something relatively light, and relatively affordable. A matte silver or grey alloy will do just fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice!

The 6ULs are incredibly light and very reasonably priced. There's a reason a lot of Miatas wear them.

Another option is the ol' standby Enkei RPF1, but everyone has RPF1s. You might look at the RPF1 Type IIs but you'd probably have to import them (JDM sales only IIRC) and they're a smidge heavier than the straight RPF1s.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The 6ULs are incredibly light and very reasonably priced. There's a reason a lot of Miatas wear them.

Another option is the ol' standby Enkei RPF1, but everyone has RPF1s. You might look at the RPF1 Type IIs but you'd probably have to import them (JDM sales only IIRC) and they're a smidge heavier than the straight RPF1s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very nice!

Link to RPF1...8.6 pounds per wheel....

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Come at me bro!

This is my summer fun car. Not a drag car but fun on the twisties
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My NB has a cup holder in the console, but it makes shifting a pain in the ass. You have to contort your arm around the beverage.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get used to it. Or, you stick to drinking things out of bottles with screw top lids, and just keep it on the passenger seat.

Or you just make a 'no drinks' rule in the car and piss your wife and kids off, but they have their own vehicle to trash.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Come at me bro!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/dalereed/0d71beb7-27d1-44c6-aaba-49f297942726_zpsd9586521.jpg

This is my summer fun car. Not a drag car but fun on the twisties
View Quote
I can afford to fix mine in the unlikely event that it breaks.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Or you just make a 'no drinks' rule in the car and piss your wife and kids off, but they have their own vehicle to trash.

View Quote
Way ahead of you. The family Jeepster is fucking disgusting.

I'm the only one who's allowed to have a beverage in my car. It was the same for the Mustang, too. And lo, my car was perpetually clean. And the angels rejoiced. The demon spawn...not so much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sub, I drove an Elise, I would kill for one BUT.. you thought the inside of an MX5 was small... I'm 5'9" and a svelte 200 lbs and I barely fit.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#45]
In the event that she breaks I will have to fix her No problems yet
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

In the event that she breaks I will have to fix her No problems yet
View Quote
The thing I like about Miatas, is that they're so cheap to work on, you can pay somebody else to do it and still come out ahead over an (admittedly nicer) bimmer.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Its in winter storeage. But with the sun today and the change in mood. I think I will put it on the road next week. Then I will find out if anything went to shit over the winter. Should be fine though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I let mine go last year.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Very nice choice.

I've been in the market for a while, but an abnormally warm winter didn't drop the local prices as much as I thought they would.

Throw some light wheels and nice tires on there and have some fun.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top