Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2014 8:00:01 PM EDT
A couple years ago, I bought a Gen 3 G19. Long story short, it had ejection issues including "BTF" and a few FTEs. I sent it back to Smyrna, then promptly traded it in.

I had been considering adding a Glock to my collection, mostly just to have one. I decided I should buy one sooner than later because my eligibility for the blue label program is about to end, so last weekend, I bought a Gen 4 G17. I guess I had assumed that Glock would have identified and fixed the problem in the last couple years. Unless I have phenomenally bad luck, I was wrong. I didn't have any complete FTEs, but there's definitely something wrong with the gun. Some casings barely cleared the gun and fell just to the right or just behind. A few landed on my forearm. Some went to the left somehow. Two went down my jacket.

I'm both baffled and upset. I've had some fun with Glocks that belong to others, and those guns had no issues. I guess I'll be sending yet another one back to Smyrna.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 21

</thread>
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
BassGasm. theres like 6 GLOCK threads on the front page.

SIX.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
buy an older one
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy an older one
View Quote

Best solution right here.

IIRC (not sure so don't quote me here), Randy Lee from Apex Tactical figured out that they not only changed the extractor design slightly around the Gen4 introduction, but they also changed the way they machine the ejection port, or stopped machining the side of the port down quite as far, or something like that, which contributed to the BTF and ejection issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Perfection, you haz it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you limp wristing it?  I've seen that happen when people limp wrist glocks.

I haven't had the problem u describe but all my gen 4s are .40.

I've heard and seen that the 9mm gen 4s don't eject the shells as far
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
perfection

perfection

perfection
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
They did change the ejectors.  I'm told it was mostly to correct the problem of some of the earlier .40 and .45s ejecting casings straight back into the shooter's forehead.  
I didn't think they changed the 9s, but I could be wrong.

I do know the Gen 4 mainspring needs 200-300 rounds to soften up a little.  Supposedly.

This whole post is made up of baseless shit I heard at the gun club, so it's entirely possible it's all bullshit.  My Gen 4 G19 works perfectly, so...  *shrug*
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure that shells are not bouncing off a range structure like an uptight or the roof and hitting you in the face?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually just shot a brand new 17 and it had none of the issues you are describing, I've also seen alot of gen 4 glocks at the range, haven't seen any issues but it makes me want to limp wrist and see if I can replicate the malfunction
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you limp wristing it? I've seen that happen when people limp wrist glocks.

View Quote

LOL. No.

This is a documented issue, and the 30274 ejector is supposed to be the fix.

Also, I'm not new to guns. Today, I also shot a Ruger 22/45, a Beretta 92FS police trade-in, a S&W M&P Pro .40, and a Remington R51. I had no issues with any of them, nor do I have any issues with any of my other semiauto pistols.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL. No.

Also, I'm not new to guns. Today, I also shot a Ruger 22/45, a Beretta 92FS police trade-in, a S&W M&P Pro .40, and a Remington R51. I had no issues with any of them, nor do I have any issues with any of my other semiauto pistols.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No.

I think it's just you.  You are allergic to Glocks.  Or they are allergic to you.  There is no other explanation.

You could probably make my Gen 2 G17 choke.  That damn thing would feed empties pulled out of the gravel at the range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
You're doing it wrong!
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think it's just you.  You are allergic to Glocks.  Or they are allergic to you.  There is no other explanation.

You could probably make my Gen 2 G17 choke.  That damn thing would feed empties pulled out of the gravel at the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No.

Maybe I'm just not actually supposed to pay for them.

I had a friend loan me an older G22 last year during the 9mm draught. I was thinking about buying it. I took it to the range 3 or so times and put a few hundred rounds through it without issue. I wasn't crazy about it, so I gave him the gun instead of the money. That same guy has this odd G34 he bought used at a gun show. It came with a Bar Sto barrel and dead adjustable night sights. I've had fun with it, too.

I know Glocks can be good guns, but the two that I've actually bought were apparently defective brand new right out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A couple years ago, I bought a Gen 3 G19. Long story short, it had ejection issues including "BTF" and a few FTEs. I sent it back to Smyrna, then promptly traded it in.

I had been considering adding a Glock to my collection, mostly just to have one. I decided I should buy one sooner than later because my eligibility for the blue label program is about to end, so last weekend, I bought a Gen 4 G17. I guess I had assumed that Glock would have identified and fixed the problem in the last couple years. Unless I have phenomenally bad luck, I was wrong. I didn't have any complete FTEs, but there's definitely something wrong with the gun. Some casings barely cleared the gun and fell just to the right or just behind. A few landed on my forearm. Some went to the left somehow. Two went down my jacket.

I'm both baffled and upset. I've had some fun with Glocks that belong to others, and those guns had no issues. I guess I'll be sending yet another one back to Smyrna.
View Quote

Its not a flaw, its a feature!
"Perfection!"
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL. No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No.

None of the pistols you noted have limp wristing issues like the Glock platform - [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU[/youtube]

The mass discrepancy between the frame and slide is particularly acute in the Glocks. I have seen plenty of people who were "not new to guns" who have not developed a grip compatible with running a Glock and when you described the cases dribbling out I bet you are probably one of them. Hand it off to some one else who's grip looks like this - http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/ and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
So if you don't have the perfect Glock combat grip then the pistol won't function reliably? But I thought they were all perfect right out of the box and the best pistol ever made!
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

None of the pistols you noted have limp wristing issues like the Glock platform - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU

The mass discrepancy between the frame and slide is particularly acute in the Glocks. I have seen plenty of people who were "not new to guns" who have not developed a grip compatible with running a Glock and when you described the cases dribbling out I bet you are probably one of them. Hand it off to some one else who's grip looks like this - http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/ and see what happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No.

None of the pistols you noted have limp wristing issues like the Glock platform - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU

Glocks dribble brass.   So do BHP's
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So if you don't have the perfect Glock combat grip then the pistol won't function reliably? But I thought they were all perfect right out of the box and the best pistol ever made!
View Quote

If you don't have a really good grip, which I assume that everyone working on becoming proficient with a pistol would have soon after starting, they will not run right.

Glock should really say " Serviceable out of the box if you use it right but has some room to tune it the way you want because the owner of the company is too arrogant to admit that it's not perfect."  
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you don't have a really good grip, which I assume that everyone working on becoming proficient with a pistol would have soon after starting, they will not run right.

Glock should really say " Serviceable out of the box if you use it right but has some room to tune it the way you want because the owner of the company is too arrogant to admit that it's not perfect."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats not true at all.

I can't get any of mine to fail regardless of how I hold it.

My grip has evolved over time.  Worked then, works now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Gen4 17. I shoot lefty.

I think I've had two pieces of brass hit me in the face in 1.5-2k rounds. Both were WWB in the first 500 rounds.

The recoil springs on the new Gen4s are some of the stiffest factory recoil springs I've ever encountered in a 9mm/40 pistol (this is pretty subjective, admittedly. I've only ever handled a Gen 3 G22, a M&P9, a P95, and a Gen 3 34).

Shoot it a ton, and cycle the slide a lot. Don't clean it for a while.  If that doesn't work - send it back to Smyrna. I've never personally dealt with Glock, but everyone assures me they're some of the best in the business.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]
No problems with my Gen 4 17,19, or 26. I'm sure a Glock will work it out for you OP.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had a friend loan me an older G22 last year during the 9mm draught. I was thinking about buying it. I took it to the range 3 or so times and put a few hundred rounds through it without issue. I wasn't crazy about it, so I gave him the gun instead of the money. That same guy has this odd G34 he bought used at a gun show. It came with a Bar Sto barrel and dead adjustable night sights. I've had fun with it, too.

I know Glocks can be good guns, but the two that I've actually bought were apparently defective brand new right out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. No.

Heh, at this point, you deserve a free one.

I learned in GD today that it only costs Glock $25 to make one, so no skin off their back.

I'd give you one if I could
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Unpossible
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Stick with Gen 3
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I get 1 back towards my face every couple hundred rounds or so with my Gen 4 19. To be honest I do not even consider it an issue really. I also usually wear a ball cap when I am out shooting so that 1 that comes back each trip hits it instead of my face.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you try different brands of ammo?

It doesn't help you, but I've got a 1991 Gen. 2 G22 and it's worked perfectly for the 23 years that I've owned it.

I did replace the original plastic guide rod with a captured titanium spring assembly and swapped out the NY Trigger that came with the weapon, but no extractor spring swaps.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

BassGasm. theres like 6 GLOCK threads on the front page.
SIX.
View Quote
Jealous?

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Even some of the Glock fanbois won't buy a 4th gen Glock, because of the relatively large number of them that have had/still have problems with ejection.        

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Gen 3 G19 RTF here.  

Experienced the same stuff you are experiencing.  Replaced the with a 30274 ejector and all the brass lands in an nice pile over my right shoulder.  No more brass to my face or landing on my head.  Have run about 600 rounds through it that way.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you tried different brands of ammunition? I know that many discount loads (WWB, Fed. Champion, etc.) have a very high SD with regards to velocity which all goes back to developed pressure.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Stick with Gen 3
View Quote

That wont even help, some have reported problems with gen 3 9mm pistols as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are you limp wristing it?  I've seen that happen when people limp wrist glocks.
View Quote

This.

I owned & operated an indoor shooting range for 2 years.
I saw "defective" or "problematic" guns miraculously start running flawlessly once put in the hands of another shooter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Even some of the Glock fanbois won't buy a 4th gen Glock, because of the relatively large number of them that have had/still have problems with ejection.          
View Quote

Guilty.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I seriously have to wonder if it is just you OP. I've seen this happen to people with Glocks and M&Ps. It has never happened to me, with the same exact guns. So either I'm a wizard, or they and yourself are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Guilty.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guilty.  

LoL I am guilty of not buying Gen 4, but not because of the ejection.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I asked Glock about the issues with the Gen 4 pistols the last time I was there. They told be with all the minor changes in the Gen 4 design - they discovered after the fact that some pistols were out of spec - taking into account all the possible tolerances. It does not show up in their test firing.

So there will still be old stock of pistols in the distribution channel that may be affected for the Gen 4 models.

I have taken all my Glocks into Smyrna and they updated them for free. Fixed the erratic ejection issues, changed springs, etc. Never paid attention to exactly what they did - probably guide rod springs, ejector or whatever.

They also told me that they have discovered another phenomena - when people put lights and such on the rail - it changes the dynamics of the slide action in a minute way. This can cause cycling issues which they determined to be mag related - so they changed the spring design to a different number of coils on the magazines. Said I could bring in all my magazines and they would change out the springs for free  even after I told them I had over 50 Glock magazines in various calibers and models.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Limp wrist, bad ammo, overly high humidity, improper correction for Coriolis Motion, not profeshunal enuff, gun not filthy enough, improper shooting stance, rain in the forecast...............................
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got rid of all but one of my Gen3's (17 / 19 / 26) and replaced them with Gen4's...never a bobble or a hint of a problem...
View Quote

This.
I have 6 Gen4's.
I wish all the 1911's I have ever had worked as well as these do.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That wont even help, some have reported problems with gen 3 9mm pistols as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stick with Gen 3

Really?  New production?  I never heard of these problems until the gen 4 came out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I've never had any of these issues with my XDs and 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#43]
They do that right before they come apart.... Kidding
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:46:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quality Crapsmanship.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are you shooting out of it?  Sounds like underpowered loads.  I would say limpwristing, but I would think someone who's qualified for blue label to begin with would know how to hold and fire a gun.

Did you clean it before you took it out to shoot?  For you to have two glocks with the same sort of issues, and being from two different gens and sizes, the common thread appears to be either the user or the ammo at first glance.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#46]
See your problem is, it is not a sig.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a gen 4 G19 and G17. Both spit brass to face initially.

The previous posters were right about the stiff recoil spring and the fact they don't like light range ammo. I loaded up a bunch of hotter (still under max load) 124 grain rounds to shoot in the Glocks.

After putting 500 rounds through each of mine the ejection improved. I bought some new stock Glock extractors and replaced those and that improved the ejection even more. Mine both run well now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#48]
All mechanical devices are prone to failure and will fail and some point and time, some are just less prone than others, Glocks are less prone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Thats the least of your worries.  If you don't have glock leg or glock hand by now you are doing well.  Those things should come with kevlar thigh armor.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really?  New production?  I never heard of these problems until the gen 4 came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stick with Gen 3

Late production gen 3 and gen 4 have the problems
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top