Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2014 1:50:22 PM EDT
Pretty cool video about guys doing an amazing job recovering the aircraft!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruArctYYbM

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Super cool, lots of cash and time to recover her.  Glad they were able to get flying again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Then the front fell off
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That was not an inexpensive undertaking.  I wonder how much it cost?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazing accomplishment.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
That's not a DC3, it's a Basler BT-67.

http://www.baslerturbo.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

ALOT but slightly cheaper than buying a new BT-67 conversion or a used one I would think. They could have easily walked away and left it for good..... but big kudos for saving the plane. Pretty amazing job considering the damage, logistics involved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the recovery of the other ALCI BT-67, C-GEAJ, "Mia" in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwQuQfquRI
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty cool video about guys doing an amazing job recovering the aircraft!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ruArctYYbM
View Quote

On 20 Dec 2012 C-GEAI was damaged at Antarctica when it hit a snowdrift whilst taking off.
A salvaging job started during end of 2013 it was completed in Jan 2014.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, somebody really wanted that plane back.  Somebody with money and excellent project management skills.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
That was BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!

I especially love the "Keep Calm and Rivet On" sticker from The Yardstore.com.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, somebody really wanted that plane back.  Somebody with money and excellent project management skills.
View Quote

Like it was posted before, it was cheaper to recover it in Antarctica than have Basler build another BT-67.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I know some of those guys.
I've got a lot of running around to do on Sunday but I'll stop by Ken  Borek and see if somebody will let me in to take a few pics.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pretty amazing job considering the damage, logistics involved.
View Quote

No kidding. I've helped rebuild smaller aircraft that had crashed, and that was an undertaking. We also had a shop to work in that was heated. What they did was incredible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Badass was the recovery of the US Navy's LC-130F 17 years after it crashed in Antarctica.

http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/history/321/321.html

http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/D59.html

Sorry, no slick Youtube video for this one.  

The recovery of this LC-130 was prompted by three reasons, the Navy needed another LC-130 and was not able to purchase a new one, this one had "low" flight hours (since it had been sitting on the ice for 17 years) and the French were making noises about recovering it to use for their Antarctic program.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand they make sense, but those engines are just... wrong. There's nothing like a radial!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something said in the video about 5k per day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I understand they make sense, but those engines are just... wrong. There's nothing like a radial!
View Quote

The turboprop DC-3's are very popular around here and anywhere the climate is rough.
What is amazing is that by modifying the decades old airframe to a commercially viable platform that cannot be met by today's standards is mind blowing.

DC-3's should go back in to full production to meet the demands of an affordable, dependable twin engine workhorse.
It would not surprise me if it actually happened.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Very cool video. I am sure the aircraft company had insurance that would defray the cost substantially if not completely.

I would think it is cheaper than a new aircraft.

If the expense was $5,000 per day X 42 days=$210,000

I do not know, but my guess is that parts were extra. Props,landing gear, cockpit,etc.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
After the Kee Bird fiasco was good to see a success on the ice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That plane's story still pains me when I think about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Very cool video. I am sure the aircraft company had insurance that would defray the cost substantially if not completely.

I do not know, but my guess is that parts were extra. Props,landing gear, cockpit,etc.

View Quote

Not really. They went to recover the aircraft because the insurance company told them to go pound sand if I heard some of the guys working on the project correctly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Does anyone know what a Basler converted DC-3 costs?

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That story and video is heart wrenching.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cost of a BT-67 conversion is 6.5 million US as of 2012.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not really. They went to recover the aircraft because the insurance company told them to go pound sand if I heard some of the guys working on the project correctly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, but that means they DID have insurance, just that there was a dispute over payments. Lawyers will settle that dispute.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OK, but that means they DID have insurance, just that there was a dispute over payments. Lawyers will settle that dispute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's a big clusterfuck.
I'll try to find out more on Sunday.
Hangar is about 10 minutes from home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice job and a really cool plane
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#29]
The research and development of DC3's on skis was done by the US Navy back in the 50's.

The Navy operated 18 ski equipped DC3's (R4D / C-47 / C-117) in Antarctica over the years.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1BRtypbXc
US Navy R4D JATO shot in Antarctica
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for posting this OP.

Made me giggle.

My favorite aircraft of all time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think that 5k per day would be just to keep the rebuild crew and their daily necessities at the recovery site.

I'm sure the cost of the parts and flying them in totaled much more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, that's cool.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#35]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for sharing...
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
As someone who has worked aviation maintenance for 24 years that was fucking impressive and commendable for what they accomplished to get that aircraft airworthy.  Granted not everything was done according to maintenance manual procedures but what they accomplished was very hard to do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The turboprop DC-3's are very popular around here and anywhere the climate is rough.
What is amazing is that by modifying the decades old airframe to a commercially viable platform that cannot be met by today's standards is mind blowing.

DC-3's should go back in to full production to meet the demands of an affordable, dependable twin engine workhorse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I flew on a lot of Convair 580 turboprops when I was young, so those are my favorite - but tail draggers are probably better with skis.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone remember the NOVA special on the B-29 that they attempted to recover from the arctic?

That was one of the most depressing TV shows I've ever seen.

ETA: Found it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does anyone remember the NOVA special on the B-29 that they attempted to recover from the arctic?

That was one of the most depressing TV shows I've ever seen.

ETA: Found it.
http://youtu.be/1u4YBwjQTds
View Quote

Just what I was thinking.... Went better than this....
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Great find, thanks for posting that.

Kudos to those guys!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#44]
It was a cleco Forrest!
Neat!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure as hell would be surprised, I don't know how many other conversion companies there are but looking at Basler they only sell one aircraft every year year and a half. The demand is just not there to support new production.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I miss flying in our DC3.

What a great Story!

Thanks for posting that .

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:41:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It hasn't happened because there isn't any money in it considering modern costs and regulations. If there was, it would be done.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I sure as hell would be surprised, I don't know how many other conversion companies there are but looking at Basler they only sell one aircraft every year year and a half. The demand is just not there to support new production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a missions organization out of West Palm Beach Florida called Missionary Flights International and they have 3 DC-3's they use to service missionaries in Haiti and around the whole area.  One of their planes is fitted with turbo props and I flew with them to Haiti once and it was an incredible trip.  Plane built in 1942 and refitted sometime around 2004 with the new engines.  

Cool!  I just looked on the Basler website and they did the conversion for MFI.  A pic of the below plane that I flew in is on their website.

I seem to remember a cost of 1.5 million for the conversion.  It takes 45000 man hours to do the job according to the website.
Patrick
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top