Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 6:45:27 PM EDT
I've just finished watching The Patriot for the umpteenth time and I was just wondering:
a) Which is the better movie?
b) Which of the main characters would win in a fair fight, mano a mano?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I say its a draw.
Both great movies!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know who would win that one.

The Patriot is a movie that every American should see and thier children... and their grandchildren...

We still seem to ignore the lessons that history teaches...

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are great movies, but to paraphrase Sean Connery "Never bring a knife to a gunfight". . .    :-)
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked em both but i thing Mel Gibson would kick Russell Crows ass in a fight
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
just like AK vs AR. I like them both.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If they had their appropriate weapons, Mel would nail Russ before he got within 100 yards!. Mel would still probably win in a  hand to hand contest as well.  The european of that time period were much smaller than modern day Americans.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
They were both patriots. Different times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know, Mel's kind of skinny....Russell is pretty well built boy.  Check him in Virtuousity.  He works out quite a bit.  Now, Mel does have a little martial arts in him....but he's getting on now.  Russell ranches at home, so I'm sure he's got the daily farm work kind of endurance that helps in bar fights.  
Gladiator was a better movie...cinematography was impresive, acting was better, story was also better (in my not so humble opinion).  Patriot was good...ending was waaaayyyy to hollywood.
The woman votes for Russell[:)] so i guess he wins for me too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
DITKA....oops, sorry, wrong bit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
"Strength and Honor"
I would pick Gladiator. Excellent flick.
colt
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Like both preffered Patriot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have info for a "tale of the tape"?

Seems Gibson is an awful short fellah - but how about Crowe? I think Gibson is a better actor - but that aint got a damn thing to do with a fight.

I liked a lot about The Patriot, but kept thinking about Braveheart (it is almost as if they should have made Gibson's character in The Patriot a descendent of his Character in Braveheart and just called it "Braveheart II")

On the same note, I kept comparing Gladiator to Spartacus - a much better movie by far. In Gladiator, the lead actually was a high ranking Roman made into a slave, in Spartacus he was a slave that the Romans insisted must actually be of noble blood - they could not except that a "lesser" person could do what he did. I kinda liked that element. The battles in Gladiator were incredible productions, involving thousands of extras in Legion-sized formations deploying across an open field. No computers, no trickery - an awesome sight that I would argue has yet to be topped in movies. The battles in Gladiator were confined to mock battles inside the Colliseum. Of course, if they did show a large battle in a modern movie, they would resort to computers to simulate the size of the formations.

If any of you (especially you young'ens out there - yes, I know I am one of them [:)]) have not seen the last few scenes of Spartacus - rent it now. It is worth the rental just for those scenes. Now THAT is a film.

Adam
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]
My vote has to go to The Gladiator as the best movie of the two, although I like Mel Gibson better as an actor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Gladiator was the better movie, but the Patriot would kick his a$$.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]
This topic and replies so far sounds like it should also include the questions:
1. Should Crowe and Gibson be oiled and sweaty during the fight?
2.  Does Gibson enjoy both oysters and snails?
3. Should the loser of the fight have "Let me breathe my last breath into your mouth" as his final line?
4.  Should Queen or The Village People supply the soundtrack?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Liked em both, own both of em.  Crowe would wip the crap outta Gibson in a fair hand-to-hand fight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever seen a post about guns you bought because of a movie............Well i now own a Tomahawk due to Patriot...............Dick
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
GLADIATOR, all the way! But you know Tyler Durden (FIGHT CLUB) would have beat the shit out of both of those guys, and had them makeing soap the next day...

Tyler[;D]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I gotta go with Gladiator as well.

In the end it really left me with that tingly feeling of honor, but IMHO The Patriot could have been a lot better.  The ending just ended way too quickly and I didn't get the full feel of the struggle these colonists probably faced and it was just too "Happily Ever After" for me, but it still definitely ranks among my favorites.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Got 'em both, loved 'em both.

If fighting with broadswords, Gladiator wins.

If with flintlock rifles, the Patriot blows the Gladiator away, as the latter is trying to figure out 'What the...'

EricTheHun
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I think that Gladiator is a much better movie than The Patriot.  Crowe would kick Gibson's a**.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]
While were on that, Spartacus, anyone know why gay dudes have an obsession with that movie? or other gladiator movies? is it the bath scene? I'm at a loss and have always wondered...

BTW, Mel Gibson would chop that dude up with a tomahawk so damn quick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
i haven't seen either movie - but what is interesting to me is that both 'stars' are aussies.  mel being older and shorter would most likely loose in are real fight with russel if it lasted long.  he's a strapping lad with a good 10 years on mel.

i also heard mel is totally full of himself and treats his wife badly (i know for a fact he gets nervous when recognized, saw him in malibu once).  russel went out with meg ryan and dumped her, but there was the whole 'drug' thing with her ex-husband dennis.  aussie guys and their women!!  whatever -

i vote for russel

steve
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]
STEVE!!!

How could you have missed BOTH movies??

Stop whatever you are doing right NOW run out to Blockbuster and rent them.  Then sit down and enjoy.

While both are great movies I have to go for Patriot......as my eight year old son says.

" aim small, miss small"

Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Loved them both, think though that if the two paired off in their roles to fight each other they would refuse the challenge, would be a hell of a team to try and take down too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ever seen a post about guns you bought because of a movie............Well i now own a Tomahawk due to Patriot...............Dick
View Quote

I just got one too.  I didn't even have to buy mine.  It was a gift, but Wow, what timing!  My wife won't let me hold it when I watch the movie though.  Afraid I will get carried away or something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#27]
 The Patriot was hands down the best movie!  I like how when people died their faces turned white.  A great movie for your DVD collection.  The wedding scene music was unrealistic for the time period.  What do you think about those bags you get sewed up in ?  If I see BEAVERHEAD i'm going to hang his head on my wall.  I hate that English sob.  What idiots, the way they fought; it was stupid and makes me mad.  God bless anyone who fought for my freedom and gave their lives.  I'm afraid in todays society that people would not stand up for their country if we ever had to fight on our home turf.  Gladiator was boring and slow moving, I thought it was lousy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What idiots, the way they fought; it was stupid and makes me mad.  
View Quote

What would you have done differently?
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]
RED DAWN
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Apples and Oranges. But Gladiator gets it for me. I know Patriot has the story that appeals to freedom loving Americans but you can't beat the cinematography of the Gladiator.

Mel Gibson/ Patriot will win hands down because he has guns.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I liked The Patriot, just because.

I think Brick Majors could kick both Gibson's and Crowe's asses at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Gladiator!!   but look at my name, i'm bias.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top