Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.lathropandsons.com/

These guys have what you need.  Every day hiking boots to hand made hunting/trekking boots. They're a few other brands I would recommend but these 5 are consistant accross their whole line of boots unlike most.

Best advise has already been given.  Fit, fit, fit...

Salomon
Hanwag
Lowa
Zamberlan
Danner

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everybody's feet are different and boots that work for me may not work for you.  Try many different pairs on.  

But, these are the best boots I've ever used.  I've hiked many, many miles in them.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

http://www.salomon.com/scripts/resizeImage.aspx?width=550&height=550&background_color=ffffff&vertical_center=1&horizontal_center=1&filename=/medias/products/product3/590606.jpg
View Quote

second this! i have had mine for 4 years now and have hiked all over washington, kentucky, tennesse, missouri and illinois with them and i also wear them around town when its cold out. They are a fantastic boot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Asolo fugitive gtx. Mine are awesome, I have hundreds of backpacking and hiking miles on them. When they are done ill buy another pair.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Everybody's feet are different and boots that work for me may not work for you.  Try many different pairs on.  

But, these are the best boots I've ever used.  I've hiked many, many miles in them.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

http://www.salomon.com/scripts/resizeImage.aspx?width=550&height=550&background_color=ffffff&vertical_center=1&horizontal_center=1&filename=/medias/products/product3/590606.jpg
View Quote

This!  I bought a pair of their Comet 3D GTX boots and loved them. Bought a pair of these and liked them so much I bought a second pair just in case they ever decided to change them. Fantastic boots! Tough, waterproof (Gortex) and comfortable right outta the box. Last forever to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I can add this I got some cheapo merrel ventilated MOABS.  More of a heavy duty sneaker than anything.  They are not waterproof and they don't keep your feet warm on their own(proper socks will) but they will keep your feet cool and dry.  I read somewhere that they are also superior for any outdoor activity where being soaked is a guarantee (ie canoeing, walking in water for whatever reason) because they will dry out very fast compared to a waterlogged waterproof hiking shoe/boot.  I find them to be very very comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Vasque Sundowners (the classic). Last forever, and I'm hard on boots. Resoled my one pair, picked up another for a steal and rotate them out now. I've had my first pair 12 years, second is approaching 4 years.
View Quote
The Sundowner used to be a great boot. Its now made in china.... I think I'll pass now.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for meindl or Lowa. Also, I have a BAD ASS hike for you, if your looking for an advanced hike. Its a 20 miler in rough terrain, in the area your talking about. Let me know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The best advice is to try them on. Every foot is different and every boot will fit every person different, so you are going to have to find what fits you best. That being said, these are some of what I consider the top hiking boot makers in the world (not a comprehensive list, but what sticks out in my mind) and I would try all of these on:

Asolo
Zamberlan
Scarpa
Lowa
Meindl

ETA: Some of the makers listed make some of their models in China, usually the lighter hikers and cheaper shoes. Make sure you don't buy the Chinese made models. I've never had them last. The Italian, German, etc. made stuff will last you a long time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Hiking boots are something you really need to try on before buying.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Years ago I bought two pairs, Vasque and Rocky's from Cabela's a month before my first Montana big game hunt.
The Vasques arrived and I started wearing them daily to break them in.
The Rocky's were backordered and arrived just as I was leaving for the airport.

The second day of the hunt, my Vasques got soaked and shrank about a full size, making them unwearable.
Even though the Rocky's weren't broken in they were fairly comfortable from the get-go, and literally saved my hunt.

Still have the Vasques, but one of my sons with smaller feet wears them.

Lesson: regardless of brand break them in and then some, and get them wet a few times before you really need to rely on them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
LL Bean's Cresta hikers are great boots. I prefer the leather/nylon version.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Solomans
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Take the socks with you that you will wear in these boots.
Someplace's will have an incline for you walk up and down
So you can see how the heel cup feels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#14]
You need to try various brands to see what fits.  I do like my Keen's better than the last Merrill's that I had.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take the socks with you that you will wear in these boots.
Someplace's will have an incline for you walk up and down
So you can see how the heel cup feels.
View Quote

Good advice.
It is important to break in your socks as well as the boots themselves on the kind of terrain you're going to be walking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can add this I got some cheapo merrel ventilated MOABS.  More of a heavy duty sneaker than anything.  They are not waterproof and they don't keep your feet warm on their own(proper socks will) but they will keep your feet cool and dry.  I read somewhere that they are also superior for any outdoor activity where being soaked is a guarantee (ie canoeing, walking in water for whatever reason) because they will dry out very fast compared to a waterlogged waterproof hiking shoe/boot.  I find them to be very very comfortable.
View Quote

I go with this philosophy for most of my hiking/outdoor adventures. Trail shoes that dry quickly satisfy 95% of my needs. Nice and light weight too.

Even the most waterproof boot WILL get wet at some point. Heavy leather takes forever to dry, especially if it's raining for days at a time, and weighs too much.

I don't do Gore-tex on boots either. Might as well wrap your foot with plastic wrap. Boots can get soaking wet from the inside out if the sweat has nowhere to go.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Sun downers are good but my Asolo fugitives are far better. It is by far the best boot I have ever owned.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top