Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2014 4:36:14 PM EDT
I've been using my 13-year-old, made-in-England, Doc Marten steel-toe industrial boots, but the time has finally come to buy a proper hiking boot.

Can you fine people point me in the direction of some high quality, durable and comfortable hiking boots?  I'm going to hike around Flagstaff/Sedona AZ, and my old shit-kickers aren't going to cut it.  Thanks in advance.

F Obama
No beans
No pics
Cat > dog
not guilty, unless
cola < peeps
eject
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been very happy with Asolo boots . N95's are my current boot. Sierra trading post wold be the first place to look.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've really enjoyed my Vasques.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Every boot fits  differently.  Just go into your nearest outdoor retailer and start trying them on.  If you're looking for reliable brand names, just look at REI's online inventory. Keen, Merrill, Salomon, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Every boot fits  differently.  Just go into your nearest outdoor retailer and start trying them on.  If you're looking for reliable brand names, just look at REI's online inventory. Keen, Merrill, Salomon, etc.
View Quote

I didn't want to pay for another pair of Asolos so I recently got some Salomons.  I've been happy so far.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
probably going to be a what fits you best solution, but ive enjoyed my Asolo Fugitives
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Boots are a very fit related thing and what works for one may not work for another so keep that in mine. I've been happy with my Asolo FSN 95s
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Danner

/thread

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Lowa and Zamberlan. I own two pairs of Lowa boots. The first pair wore out the sole before anything else, but one of the stitch points (on the side near the toe) was just about to give up at the end. Both of my Lowa boots were made in Slovakia. My Zamberlan boots are each largely a single piece of leather, display incredible craftsmanship, feature a very roomy toe box, and are made in Italy. I've owned two pairs of US-made Danner boots as well and I liked them well enough, but always go back to my Lowas.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Find a pair of waterproof Danner boots you like.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Adidas terrex
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want top quality, try Meind'ls. They make a great boot.

I had a pare that I got from Cabellas that were bomb proof (just make sure to get the German made ones).

I just got a pare of Limmer light weights (made for them by Meindl) they are extremely high quality.

The Limmers can be resoled, so you can get many years of use out of them.

Although both of these boots are of high quality, I'd still recommend trying any boot on if you can.

If they don't fit YOUR feet, the quality won't matter.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My current pair are Keens. They have outlasted my Marrells.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You need to go to a place like REI and try some different boots.  Now days, you can easily buy hikers, buy hybrid technical boots, or technical boots.  I've got a nice pair of Keen traditional hiking boots, fit well, wear well, waterproof and comfortable.  I have a much more expensive pair of Sportiva hybrid technical boots - weigh about the same as regular hikers, but are stiffer, and tighter fit to your feet.  Also waterproof.  To me, they are better for challenging hiking scenarios versus the Keens, but feel totally different due to the stiffer footbed.  Easier to use with traction aids in cold weather / snow / ice.  Haven't tried technical boots yet, other than in a store.  Lots of options now days, don't rely solely on the internet to get feedback.  Try them on in a store.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I did the Battan Memorial Death March in a pair of Lowa Zephyrs with no foot problems.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I wore out my Scarpas. Now using Alicos until my Limmers are ready.

Get a real boot, not a sneaker with gortex. Thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Vasque, end of thread-- mods please lock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
This, Ft. Lewis
Quoted:
Danner

/thread

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Same thing I always recommend. Go into a store with a good selection and try on a number in the category and price range of your choosing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm an avid AZ hiker and I would highly recommend the Merrell Moab boots. These are excellent for day or multi day trips. For longer trips with a heavy pack you'll want something with more support and strength.  Light weight on your feet makes a big difference,  the thought of what you have been wearing makes my feet hurt while laying down.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This, Ft. Lewis

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This, Ft. Lewis
Quoted:
Danner

/thread

For hiking?  Why would you not want to go with something lighter?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Vasque
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm an avid AZ hiker and I would highly recommend the Merrell Moab boots. These are excellent for day or multi day trips. For longer trips with a heavy pack you'll want something with more support and strength.  Light weight on your feet makes a big difference,  the thought of what you have been wearing makes my feet hurt while laying down.

View Quote

LOL, you said it.  But I took pride in hiking in those 2.2 pound (each) boots.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Vasque, end of thread-- mods please lock.

View Quote

Should he get this Vasque

or this Vasque?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Everybody's feet are different and boots that work for me may not work for you.  Try many different pairs on.  

But, these are the best boots I've ever used.  I've hiked many, many miles in them.

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to second this.  Unless you're carrying 40+ loads most of the day, I'd highly recommend a lighter (sub 3 pound) pair of boots like the Vasque Breeze.  They are faster and more comfortable, particularly on steep inclines or scree.

I have the older Breeze GTX and newer Breeze GTX 2.0 and love them both.  Each pair has done Long's Peak and were perfect for it.

They were 160 last year. :(

http://www.rei.com/product/842457/vasque-breeze-20-mid-gtx-hiking-boots-mens#reviewsTab
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are many good brands now - stick to one of the big ones, and get the ones that fit the best.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you want top quality, try Meind'ls. They make a great boot.I had a pare that I got from Cabellas that were bomb proof (just make sure to get the German made ones).

I just got a pare of Limmer light weights (made for them by Meindl) they are extremely high quality.
The Limmers can be resoled, so you can get many years of use out of them.

Although both of these boots are of high quality, I'd still recommend trying any boot on if you can.
If they don't fit YOUR feet, the quality won't matter.

View Quote

Worse than that. A quality boot will not wear in as easily to accommodate your foot. And if you're the type to use what you buy, no matter if it works well or not, you're in for a long hike of pain since they are a durable boot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered myself a pair of of lowa renegade gtx  about 15minutes ago ive wanted a pair of them forever and amazon had my 15 wide for $178 rather than the $225 they usually run. I've always had decent boots but my size makes it pretty limited I've had some danner stumpdown I really like but they are slick as hell in any kind of frost or moisture don't even think about ice or snow
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are not packing heavy, try out some shoes instead of boots.  When it is hot out, they make a big difference.  If you deal with cactus, disregard and get boots that have a good rand around the bottom.  I walked through a bunch of cactus once in my mesh shoes and it was not pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I dunno about boots but I'd highly recommend some merino wool socks.  Got some for work and must say they are the cats ass.  No stinky or soggy feet at the end of a hard day.  Keep me warm in the cooler/freezer and don't get too hot on breaks or driving too and from the workplace.  Never using cotton or synthetics again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
You need to try different boots because all of the lasts the boots are built on vary.
They also vary by the task you are doing.
I have four pairs of boots depending on casual hiking, heavy packing or mountaineering.
I have an old school pair of Asolo cold weather boots with sheepskin liners, Raichle and LaSportiva mountaineering and a pair of Vasque backpacking boots.
Pick the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Vasque, on my 3rd pair. They wear a little faster then Id like, but stupidly comfortable and actually water proof.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Just don't go cheap and you'll end up happy. Try a bunch on...see what fits well.

Merrell and Salomon are two solid brands to start with. Salewa, Vasque some others...

If you're spending less than $100 and they're not on a big sale...well....

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#36]
how appropriate, just got back from a full day of hiking in the whites

seriously not one mention of Asolo?

3 best boot brands:
Asolo
Vasque
Danner

to each foot their own.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Another vote for Danner here. Specifically Mountain light II or Light II. I have both.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I dunno about boots but I'd highly recommend some merino wool socks.  Got some for work and must say they are the cats ass.  No stinky or soggy feet at the end of a hard day.  Keep me warm in the cooler/freezer and don't get too hot on breaks or driving too and from the workplace.  Never using cotton or synthetics again.
View Quote
I second a good pair of wool socks. I wear the extra thick kind every day after my experience with them hiking. Don't cheap out on the socks and only get the fitted kind.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
how appropriate, just got back from a full day of hiking in the whites

seriously not one mention of Asolo?

3 best boot brands:
Asolo
Vasque
Danner

to each foot their own.....
View Quote

If we are talking quality, Vasque isn't even a contender for that list. They make decent boots, but far from top three.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually a thin poly wicking sock with good woolies over them is hard to beat.
It doesn't matter what they are if they don't fit correctly. I have always preferred the smaller, dedicated mountaineering shops compared to EMS or REI. You almost always get a more knowledgeable sales person.
Tempted to try a pair of Aku's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Without knowing your needs or what fits, it's all a shot in the dark. I really like my Asolo Fugutive GTX for general purpose boots.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a wide foot so Keen's for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Salomon discovery. Greatest hikers I've ever used, and I use the fuck out of them, everyday. I wouldn't drop a fucking turd on asolos again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I've recommended these many times over the years, Danner 453 GTX boots.  Mine are super comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been using my 13-year-old, made-in-England, Doc Marten steel-toe industrial boots, but the time has finally come to buy a proper hiking boot.

Can you fine people point me in the direction of some high quality, durable and comfortable hiking boots?  I'm going to hike around Flagstaff/Sedona AZ, and my old shit-kickers aren't going to cut it.  Thanks in advance.

F Obama
No beans
No pics
Cat > dog
not guilty, unless
cola < peeps
eject
View Quote

Asolo

one option:

http://www.rei.com/product/693828/asolo-tps-520-gv-hiking-boots-mens
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Subscribed this thread is relevant to interests

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Subscribed this thread is relevant to interests  
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#49]
What do you want them for?  Short or Long Hiking?  Backpacking?
What climates/terrains?  (You have desert and mountain, altitude/climbing, winter, summer all in your locale).
Do you care how heavy they are?  For example, I love my old matterhorn duty boots for cold weather short range stuff, but serious elk hunts up and down thousands of vertical feet every day with them on SUCK.  
Do you want them to be rebuildable or not?

Once you've answered those questions, then it's about FIT.  After that it's about FIT.  And you can guess what comes next.

The best name boot with all the whiz bang features that doesn't fit, SUCKS.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Vasque Sundowners (the classic). Last forever, and I'm hard on boots. Resoled my one pair, picked up another for a steal and rotate them out now. I've had my first pair 12 years, second is approaching 4 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top