Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Finally got all my stuff in. Plugged it in to my old Acer aspire one netbook and
Apparently the processor is too slow. Audio is choppy as hell and cpu is running 80 to 90% Plugged it in to the big box in the living room and it runs fine.
Still need to figure out the Ham it up thing and get a decent antenna made. Right now I just have it hooked up to an old CB antenna and can't get much. I picked up a couple conversations on CB frequencies and can get Fm broadcast.

Is there anything less resource consuming than SDRsharp to try on my netbook?
What would be a decent, cheap antenna to make for listening to HF?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I just started making a discone antenna. The low freq is set at 150 Mhz. The bottom hoop is ~22" in diam, and the total height will be ~19". It will probably be mounted 20 feet or so above the ground. There is a big hill behind my place that will pretty much block ADS-B from aircraft to the south, but most local traffic (as well as the airport) is to the north. I won't bother trying the radio out until the antenna is up.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

GQRX loads the CPU up pretty good on a Macbook Pro.

I'd guess it's just a very taxing thing to do in general.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Got mine in today....took a couple weeks, not bad from China I suppose.  Hopefully I find some time tomorrow to play with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In order to calibrate I need a constant decent signal....don't really have that yet....will probably go with a random long wire and then a discone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ordered the same box and hf upconverter yesterday from nooelec

That to said alI I seem to pic up in m my location with the chintzy antenna is a few fm broadcast stations...
Not getting anything on VHF.

And my Lenovo net pad lacks the horsepower to run this :-( CPU usage was at or near close to 100% most of the time with just the dongle and running sdr#...mucho broke up reception regardless of how I tried to configure sdr#

You won't get much of anything on the stock antenna. I have mine connected to either a 32 ft hf vertical or a log periodic on the roof for vhf/uhf. Once you get a decent antenna it really comes alive.

I've been listening to guys in Australia on 20 meters all morning plus some shortwave news from there.

Also, are you calibrating the tuning?

In order to calibrate I need a constant decent signal....don't really have that yet....will probably go with a random long wire and then a discone

Use a weather freq on 162 vhf and zoom in. Center the carrier on it and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok heres is a pic

I can get the data (artist and name of song) but no audio.

Any ideas?

Update: I adjusted the AF gain. Working now.

This thing is fun.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok heres is a pic

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/jimbeam69/1D871FD1-6C05-4CA0-A54A-B16152ED6F00-193-000000227D867C0F_zps754461a1.jpg

Any ideas?

This thing is fun.

View Quote

I too can pick up commercial fm broadcast and also decode the rds data...can't pick up anything else at all...no 2 meter stuff...no noaa...not even my local airport which is 15 miles across from me over a lake...this is also taking into mind switching modes...I can pick up the airport and everything with my yaesu vx8 and my baofeng b5
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I too can pick up commercial fm broadcast and also decode the rds data...can't pick up anything else at all...no 2 meter stuff...no noaa...not even my local airport which is 15 miles across from me over a lake...this is also taking into mind switching modes...I can pick up the airport and everything with my yaesu vx8 and my baofeng b5
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok heres is a pic

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/jimbeam69/1D871FD1-6C05-4CA0-A54A-B16152ED6F00-193-000000227D867C0F_zps754461a1.jpg

Any ideas?

This thing is fun.

Same for me.

I can track a shit load of aircraft though with the stock antenna indoors on 1090.00 MHz though.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you guys get one of the upconverters on eBay you can have an all mode HF receiver as well.
View Quote
can you link one? I dont know what that is.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys get one of the upconverters on eBay you can have an all mode HF receiver as well.

I got this one and the $15 aluminum case for it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same for me.  

I can track a shit load of aircraft though with the stock antenna indoors on 1090.00 MHz though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok heres is a pic

Any ideas?

This thing is fun.

Same for me.  

I can hear NOAA and some noise on the local po-po dispatch. Can't hear the dispatch clearly it might be scrabbled.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ton of stuff on 8.500.000 MHz
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Finally got all my stuff in. Plugged it in to my old Acer aspire one netbook and
Apparently the processor is too slow. Audio is choppy as hell and cpu is running 80 to 90% Plugged it in to the big box in the living room and it runs fine.
Still need to figure out the Ham it up thing and get a decent antenna made. Right now I just have it hooked up to an old CB antenna and can't get much. I picked up a couple conversations on CB frequencies and can get Fm broadcast.

View Quote

The kicker to this is that the sdr dongle can run on a raspberry pi micro PC...with no issue
Maybe all the crap running in the back ground of windows machines is part of the problem
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Trying to get Unitrunker setup, when click play on Unitrunker and play in sdr# with the correct audio output, no new window opens like the guides say in Unitrunker.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread has cost me a lot of money.

Bought one of these a few days ago, since I liked playing around with the USB dongle so much.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread has cost me a lot of money.

Bought one of these a few days ago, since I liked playing around with the USB dongle so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191129478261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
View Quote

Will look for your opinion of this when it arrives
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
tagged for later.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The kicker to this is that the sdr dongle can run on a raspberry pi micro PC...with no issue
Maybe all the crap running in the back ground of windows machines is part of the problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did a quick search for "sdr dongle  raspberry pi" and found a couple links talking about using the Pi as a server to feed to raw data to a pc to be processed. Do you have a link to somebody using the Pi to do the processsing? If the Pi can handle it then my netbook should as well. I have Peppermint Linux on there but the only SDR package they had in the repository would not install and I didn't have time to look for something else but I'm not opposed to loading a different distro if it'll get this thing working.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking to build/buy an antenna on the cheap, have a few questions.

I'm not really looking for any specific frequencies, the once I'm interested in the most are 800mhz-900mhz, 140mhz-160 mhz, and probably 120-130mhz that's probably all I'm interested in now, although I'm sure it wont be enough later lol.

Which antenna would be the best, I don't having more then one, just trying to keep it cheap.

I saw some info on a ground plane http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html but the radials would only be 3"???

I don't really know shit about radios, but I'm learning, would a ground plane antenna with ~3" radials be able to pickup signals from about 10-15 miles? I just find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok which one do I buy for Apple OSX?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The NooElec dongle works fine on OS X (and I think others would as well), but the only software I've found to run it is GQRX.  Compared to some of the PC and linux programs it kind of sucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The NooElec dongle works fine on OS X (and I think others would as well), but the only software I've found to run it is GQRX.  Compared to some of the PC and linux programs it kind of sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thanks.. Just ordered it
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Trying to get Unitrunker setup, when click play on Unitrunker and play in sdr# with the correct audio output, no new window opens like the guides say in Unitrunker.
View Quote

i had the same issue.. i restarted my computer and started to work..  

do you have the VAC installed?

--my issue I'm having is i can get the control and working channels and can spot them on the screen but my dsd is for phase 1 ...  no one has a decoder for phase 2 yet..  

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys having reception trouble...

In SDR#, click on "Configure" next to the pulldown with RTL-SDR (USB) or whatever

Then, bump up the RF gain (Separate from the AF gain on the main screen)

I have mine set to around 29.  Anything over 30 gets too noisy.

The "AF Gain" on the main screen is like a "volume" knob.  The "RF Gain" I'm talking about is the sensitivity setting.

Try that and report back.  We'll get this thing working for y'all!

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Already done that...also tried the fine tune/alignmen/offset t and yeilded no better sound quality...most transmissions still sound very digitally...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I finally got SDR#, VAC, Unitrunker, and DSD+ playing nicely together to decode the trunked P25 system in Memphis (police, fire, ems, hospitals, and more).

Don't even ask me how to do it.  I'm not sure I could do it again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Already done that...also tried the fine tune/alignmen/offset t and yeilded no better sound quality...most transmissions still sound very digitally...
View Quote
Using any audio filtering?

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried all available filters...just sounds very mechanical comapared to listening on my hamhandi talkies or my mobile rig which is a yaesu 857d
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Tried all available filters...just sounds very mechanical comapared to listening on my hamhandi talkies or my mobile rig which is a yaesu 857d

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh.  Other than messing around with the bandwidth setting I can't think of anything.  Let's see if anyone smarter than me may know.

Anybody got any ideas?

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I finally got SDR#, VAC, Unitrunker, and DSD+ playing nicely together to decode the trunked P25 system in Memphis (police, fire, ems, hospitals, and more).

View Quote

Tell me about it. Im picking up Colorado DTRS, which has been fun to listen too. I highly suggest purchasing a radio reference license. You can see the tags of everyone logging it.

Does anyone know how to weed out the callers that you do not want to hear? I keep hearing CSU facilities and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]
TAG for Home....
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Tell me about it. Im picking up Colorado DTRS, which has been fun to listen too. I highly suggest purchasing a radio reference license. You can see the tags of everyone logging it.

Does anyone know how to weed out the callers that you do not want to hear? I keep hearing CSU facilities and stuff like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same question.  The same P25 network covers a LOT in my area.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Everyone given up on this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Everyone given up on this?
View Quote

Hardly gotten started!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Over a month, and six pages, before I realized I misspelled listen in the title.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Any suggestions on how to get rid of these wideband FM harmonics all over the damn place at higher gain settings?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Any suggestions on how to get rid of these wideband FM harmonics all over the damn place at higher gain settings?
View Quote

Better antenna and lower gain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still no intermod problems with strong signals?

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turning the gain down helps a LOT.
That being said, this is a $20 tv reciever, not an AOR reciever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe me, I'm plenty impressed with these $8 receivers

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. With a radio shack 800 mhz antenna im getting decent signals even inside my house. Tracking  airplanes is alot more fun that I expected!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this tutorial explains it fairly well....

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Ok got mine finally.

The OSX software sucks.

Starting to look at other options.

Pretty neat though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Ok got mine finally.

The OSX software sucks.

Starting to look at other options.

Pretty neat though.
View Quote
If you have an android tablet, you can get cheap (couple dollar) software to track aircraft with it.

Also SDR-Touch to tune in radio.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#48]
This seems like cheap source of entertainment.

Order the USB tuner and it arrived today.  

Looking at the software now and I'm in way over my head... Should be fun....
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top