[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump

OP Is updated with current news link.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Just found out that one of my relatives is one of those missing in this mudslide. He is on my wife's side of the family, so I don't know him personally, but it's still...

Could use some prayers about now from those inclined to do so. And give your loved ones an extra hug next time you see them...because I guess you just never know.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The Atlantic is already pointing at it as an example of climate change.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Atlantic is already pointing at it as an example of climate change.
View Quote

Never waste a tragedy, do they?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump

Multiple confirmed dead coming down the pipe. Still contacting NOK.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The Snohomish County Executive and  building department is screwed...

All the reports coming out about the Army Corps of Engineers studies and reports predicting something like this, and they were still issuing building permits? There are going to be huge lawsuits over this, and I really can't say I blame people for being upset--If you're going to impose the huge fees and bureaucratic systems they have, and then they fail to prevent something like this from being as destructive as this is? What the hell is the point? The average person thinks "Well, if they permitted this, it's safe to build here...". Ain't always true, that...

I'm not even a geotechnical type, and I'd have taken one look at that hillside and said "Nope... Not living there...". Add in the fact that the trained guys were telling the authorities that there were issues, and you really start to wonder what the hell they were thinking. Supposedly, they were building right along during the same 2006 period the first slump happened. Absolutely nuts.

Not to mention how many other sites there are with similar issues all over the West side of the Cascades. Most of the Puget Sound area is just glacial moraine that the last Ice Age just piled up every which-way, and none of it is very stable under the wrong set of circumstances. If they ever have a major earthquake come along during the part of the year when that terrain is fully sodden with moisture, God knows where the casualty numbers will wind up. Some of that stuff is basically just very stable quicksand, just waiting for the right conditions to turn into soup for a few minutes. And, then immediately go solid. If you've ever seen the shaker-table films where they simulate what that kind of soil does during an earthquake, you'll be out looking for a chunk of bedrock to build your house on, believe me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All the reports coming out about the Army Corps of Engineers studies and reports predicting something like this, and they were still issuing building permits? There are going to be huge lawsuits over this, and I really can't say I blame people for being upset--If you're going to impose the huge fees and bureaucratic systems they have, and then they fail to prevent something like this from being as destructive as this is? What the hell is the point? The average person thinks "Well, if they permitted this, it's safe to build here...". Ain't always true, that...

I'm not even a geotechnical type, and I'd have taken one look at that hillside and said "Nope... Not living there...". Add in the fact that the trained guys were telling the authorities that there were issues, and you really start to wonder what the hell they were thinking. Supposedly, they were building right along during the same 2006 period the first slump happened. Absolutely nuts.

Not to mention how many other sites there are with similar issues all over the West side of the Cascades. Most of the Puget Sound area is just glacial moraine that the last Ice Age just piled up every which-way, and none of it is very stable under the wrong set of circumstances. If they ever have a major earthquake come along during the part of the year when that terrain is fully sodden with moisture, God knows where the casualty numbers will wind up. Some of that stuff is basically just very stable quicksand, just waiting for the right conditions to turn into soup for a few minutes. And, then immediately go solid. If you've ever seen the shaker-table films where they simulate what that kind of soil does during an earthquake, you'll be out looking for a chunk of bedrock to build your house on, believe me.
View Quote

I heard the SNOHO public works reeling about this.

There will be lawyers.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Shitty.

But not a missing jet or a mass shooting so not big news.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shitty.

But not a missing jet or a mass shooting so not big news.
View Quote

Yep but it's the worst US landslide since St Helens.  

Just a bunch of working class American families, that isn't very exciting news.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There will be lawyers.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be lawyers.  

As well there should be. My take on this kind of thing is that if they're going to intervene, and require the massive bureaucracy that they do for building these days, then when they fail to prevent something as predictable as this was, they ought to be sued out of existence. Seriously--What the hell are the people of Snohomish county getting for their money, if this sort of crap slides by the radar? There's "Act of God", and then there's something like this event, which was actually predicted by more than one party. And, they just kept right on issuing building permits...

In the final analysis, why bother with a building department? Or, any of that crap we spend so much money on. I'd be willing to bet that the relevant documents from the Army Corps of Engineers are a few mouse-clicks away, for anyone with the proper access. Why the hell didn't they bother to review that stuff?

And, meanwhile, up here in another county in that same state, we're required to spend huge money on geotechnical reviews for anything even remotely close to a slope like that. Go figure...
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, hate to hear about this. Hopefully they find all those that are missing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
24 dead.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Updated OP

There's a lot more digging to go.

They have brought in some really well equipped National Guard units to help recover the victims.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As well there should be. My take on this kind of thing is that if they're going to intervene, and require the massive bureaucracy that they do for building these days, then when they fail to prevent something as predictable as this was, they ought to be sued out of existence. Seriously--What the hell are the people of Snohomish county getting for their money, if this sort of crap slides by the radar? There's "Act of God", and then there's something like this event, which was actually predicted by more than one party. And, they just kept right on issuing building permits...

In the final analysis, why bother with a building department? Or, any of that crap we spend so much money on. I'd be willing to bet that the relevant documents from the Army Corps of Engineers are a few mouse-clicks away, for anyone with the proper access. Why the hell didn't they bother to review that stuff?

And, meanwhile, up here in another county in that same state, we're required to spend huge money on geotechnical reviews for anything even remotely close to a slope like that. Go figure...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be lawyers.  

As a result of the coming lawsuits, the state will go full retard studying every hillside above a road or a house in the whole state. I expect lots of mountain roads getting shut down and private property condemned due to "geological hazards".
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Dang. Was just watching a story about that on the news. Horrible situation
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As a result of the coming lawsuits, the state will go full retard studying every hillside above a road or a house in the whole state. I expect lots of mountain roads getting shut down and private property condemned due to "geological hazards".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be lawyers.  

You're probably right. But, when you look at the idiots building, these days... It might not be a bad idea to do some flippin' review. Up here, the idiocy started when they had a bunch of avalanches wipe out some houses up around Lake Wenatchee. Said houses were... Wait for it... Built under avalanche funnels. Gee, I wonder why they they got taken out? So, now you have to pay for geotechnical review, whenever you're building near a slope. Bloody marvelous, if you're a geotechnical engineer.

What's so damn irritating is that anyone with a lick of sense would have looked at those house sites, and said: "Hey... Ya know, there's probably a reason the old-timers didn't build there, even if the site's got a wonderful view of the valley...".

If people used a little sense, and did some basic research, a lot of this land would be left in trees or agriculture, and they'd never try to build houses on it. But, that's the most precious resource of the modern era--Common fucking sense. Something so rare that it really ought to be a damn superpower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Terrible situation up there.  Prayers for all involved.  OP....is this in your area?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]
No, but it's close.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Toddler rescued, but search for family continues

This is incredibly sad.  That little boy lost everything.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Official: Death toll in Washington mudslide rises to 18; number of missing lowered to 30 - @KIRO7Seattle

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll be going down on Thursday to volunteer, all the guys at work are shipping in funds/goods for me to deliver. What a mess
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Officials: Number of Oso, Wash., mudslide fatalities is now 21; 4 additional victims found Sunday - KING5Seattle

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Snohomish County, Wash., medical examiner says 27 now confirmed dead in landslide disaster, 22 people still missing - @KIRO7Seattle, @KyungLahCNN

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Prayers out  for all affected . . .

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top